Main Dining Room attire for early teen boys....

No... not formal night!:D I'm looking for info on the regular dining evenings. We have our 1st cruise coming up in 33 days (not that I'm counting!)on the AOS Southern Caribbean itinerary, and I'm pretty darn sure that I know the answer to this question. However.... my 13 year old son has just informed me that I do NOT know what I'm talking about (I'm hearing that a lot these days!). We are trying to put outfits together for the Main Dining Room and I have explained to him that he can not wear his usual shorts or denim. I have made a suggestion and he has informed me that "Mom....(insert eye roll twice here) no one will wear anything like that. No way!". I'm not going to say yet what I told him to wear to see if you all answer the question just like I did. Thanks for any input!

For Formal night he has a new suit, and I'm actually quite surprised at how excited he is to wear it! He tries it on just about twice weekly to "see if it still fits" and absolutely loves it. (He says he looks like the guy from the Italian Job). I do have to admit that he looks fantastic! He's even agreed to a really short haircut to make it sharp. Thank goodness we got it a bit large 5 weeks ago at purchase, he has grown so much that it will just barely fit at cruise time.

In addition... if anyone has a problem they need solved, or needs an answer to any question, I'd be happy to run it past my son now while he knows everything....;)

Thanks!

Kim & Son

In addition... if anyone has a problem they need solved, or needs an answer to any question, I'd be happy to run it past my son now while he knows everything....;)

Could you ask him if the S&P is going to go up this year? :D

I do love your attitude --- very funny!

But now seriously, I am not a 13-year old boy, nor do I own one, so I can just tell you what I've seen. Lots of very casual khakis with faded/relaxed polo shirts. Shorts aren't allowed - but you still see them. Same with jeans.

Hope you & son have a wonderful cruise - no matter what he wears!

We have taken 3 grandsons on a cruise and they wore casual slacks and polo type shirts. As they became a little more experienced they would eat with the friends from the kids club or go to the buffet. One grandson preferred to dine with us in the dining room most times and dressed appropriately.

Our son on casual nights would wear the zipoff pants, and a collared polo shirt. After dinner and quick unzip and he was ready to hang with his friends. Not sure what store you have by you but Bob's here sells a lot of them .

Could you ask him if the S&P is going to go up this year? :D

I do love your attitude --- very funny!

But now seriously' date=' I am not a 13-year old boy, nor do I own one, so I can just tell you what I've seen. Lots of very casual khakis with faded/relaxed polo shirts. Shorts aren't allowed - but you still see them. Same with jeans.

Hope you & son have a wonderful cruise - no matter what he wears![/quote']

This is a serious question. Can you show me where is says jeans are not recommended on non-formal nights? The sections I'm reading say no shorts at dinner.

I know.. I know... I really want to know. I'm not looking for opinions, I want links to posted guidelines. IF it suggests no jeans for dinner, then I will make sure I follow the suggestion.

Unlike many people on a current Carnival thread about shorts in the dining room (where MANY people say it's fine, ugh) you're more likely to find people in the non-shorts category here.

I REALLY don't look at what other people are wearing in the MDR...but if I saw people (or teens) in shorts I might give it a second thought...and then go on with my fabulous evening.

However, new-looking dark-wash jeans, shoes and a button-down shirt on a 13-year-old? Perfectly lovey if you ask me.

Our teenage boys wore casual slacks and what ever kind of shirt they wanted to (not t's) some were a polo shirt some were a button type shirt.

We explained the dining room dress 'rules' to them, I think they enjoyed it.

They knew they could change out to shorts/tees after dinner.

Both were surprisingly looking forward to the formal nights, one wore a suit and the other wore dress slacks, button down dress shirt and a tie. We let them pick the ties and they had some fun with that.

Enjoy your cruise, get some good family photos!

Bev

No... not formal night!:D I'm looking for info on the regular dining evenings. We have our 1st cruise coming up in 33 days (not that I'm counting!)on the AOS Southern Caribbean itinerary, and I'm pretty darn sure that I know the answer to this question. However.... my 13 year old son has just informed me that I do NOT know what I'm talking about (I'm hearing that a lot these days!). We are trying to put outfits together for the Main Dining Room and I have explained to him that he can not wear his usual shorts or denim. I have made a suggestion and he has informed me that "Mom....(insert eye roll twice here) no one will wear anything like that. No way!". I'm not going to say yet what I told him to wear to see if you all answer the question just like I did. Thanks for any input!

For Formal night he has a new suit, and I'm actually quite surprised at how excited he is to wear it! He tries it on just about twice weekly to "see if it still fits" and absolutely loves it. (He says he looks like the guy from the Italian Job). I do have to admit that he looks fantastic! He's even agreed to a really short haircut to make it sharp. Thank goodness we got it a bit large 5 weeks ago at purchase, he has grown so much that it will just barely fit at cruise time.

Thanks!

Kim & Son

Kim,

Since all kids that age know that EVERYTHING found on the Internet simply HAS to be true (!! :p) you may want to refer him directly to RCCL's website FAQ section, which reads:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

(And point out that "slacks" is not the same as "jeans" or "shorts"..... just take him into a department store, the racks are labeled differently!!)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do#22

Our youngest was 12 and 13 when we sailed the first 2 times. He wore Docker type pants either khaki, navy or black with polo shirts or tropical print shirts. A buttoned up casual shirt would also be fine. After dinner, they can change back into their shorts and T-shirts or leave the polo on. On Celebrity, there was a message daily that read no shorts after 6 p.m. any night.

My 13-year-old boys wore khakis and (gasp) t-shirts (not old ratty ones -- usually brightly colored new ones that they'd bought in the port). That is, when they ate with me (they made friends REALLY fast in the teen program and ate dinner with them maybe half the time).

This is a serious question. Can you show me where is says jeans are not recommended on non-formal nights? The sections I'm reading say no shorts at dinner.

I know.. I know... I really want to know. I'm not looking for opinions, I want links to posted guidelines. IF it suggests no jeans for dinner, then I will make sure I follow the suggestion.

Oh carp ... I was thinking of Celebrity! You're right, the website doesn't say anything specifically about jeans.

Here's what the website says:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

Although there sure were a lot of short in the MDR on Monarch last Friday and Sunday nights!

My boys always wear khakis with a collared polo or button down shirt. They then run back to the cabin after and put on their shorts and back to the teen area.

Well.... (insert smug "Mom does know what she's talking about" look here!:D) I guess I do know a thing or two!!! My suggestion was a pair of khakis with a polo or button down shirt. We did have him tuck it in and that was a big issue. But he looked great! I tried to get him to get a tropical/Hawaiian type shirt, but he vehemently stated that no one his age would ever wear that. He wore those almost exclusively when he was younger... he looked so cute when he wore the clothes I picked out for him!!!

I am actually excited for the kids to experience the "dining" part of the dining room. I think it will be a good experience for them to see what it is like and to try new foods. They really are good kids and I think they will really enjoy the evenings.

He is hoping to wear his suit pants, a long sleeve button down with the collar open for the casual nights. (Ala Jason Stratham). I was trying to tell him that it might (again... I might not know...;)) be sort of hot and he might want a short sleeve shirt with a light khaki pant. We are going to pack them anyway, and I have a feeling when he gets there he will slip into them without issue.

My boys always wear khakis with a collared polo or button down shirt. They then run back to the cabin after and put on their shorts and back to the teen area.

My son also did this. The dinner clothes on the floor was how I knew he had come and gone.:eek:

He did enjoy dressing in his tux for formal night. Picked one up on ebay for $25. He has worn it 5 times now including his senior prom.

Word to the OP - at 13 its just beginning. Mine is 18 and still knows it all.:rolleyes:

Denise

I have a 13 year old son. On cruises he usually wears a polo and khakis to dinner. He also wears Hawaiian shirts sometimes. I don't insist on tucking in. In the Caribbean, jeans would be way too hot. My ds hates jeans anyway.

Well.... (insert smug "Mom does know what she's talking about" look here!:D) I guess I do know a thing or two!!! My suggestion was a pair of khakis with a polo or button down shirt. We did have him tuck it in and that was a big issue. But he looked great! I tried to get him to get a tropical/Hawaiian type shirt, but he vehemently stated that no one his age would ever wear that. He wore those almost exclusively when he was younger... he looked so cute when he wore the clothes I picked out for him!!!

I am actually excited for the kids to experience the "dining" part of the dining room. I think it will be a good experience for them to see what it is like and to try new foods. They really are good kids and I think they will really enjoy the evenings.

He is hoping to wear his suit pants, a long sleeve button down with the collar open for the casual nights. (Ala Jason Stratham). I was trying to tell him that it might (again... I might not know...;)) be sort of hot and he might want a short sleeve shirt with a light khaki pant. We are going to pack them anyway, and I have a feeling when he gets there he will slip into them without issue.

I don't even tuck in my shirts (they show off my growing keg). I wouldn't raise too much of a fuss with this point, may kiddos his age don't tuck in the outter most shirt, and many adults for that matter!

My son also did this. The dinner clothes on the floor was how I knew he had come and gone.:eek:

He did enjoy dressing in his tux for formal night. Picked one up on ebay for $25. He has worn it 5 times now including his senior prom.

Word to the OP - at 13 its just beginning. Mine is 18 and still knows it all.:rolleyes:

Denise

Actually the OP is lucky it's just beginning at 13 - my DD is 10 and is already thinking that I'm "SO embarrassing" unless I sit meekly and quietly and don't speak. :D

And God forbid I should mention BOYS....."ewwww, GROSS!"

I'm making her sound worse than she is; she's still my baby and such a good girl but just starting to get into that teenage mindset....sigh

I can remember my mum actually getting a t-shirt printed with the words "I wish I knew as much about one thing as my son knows about everything", then she embarrassed my big brother by wearing it :)

As the parent of 2 teen boys (17 and 15) who've cruised for the last few years I can tell you that they don't possess (nor would they wear) khakis. One son wears normal jeans (smart - not faded or torn) and the other wears skinny jeans (black or bronze :rolleyes:), along with a collared shirt (polo or otherwise). Sometimes they wear a tie or a waistcoat also. They always look stylish and smart - regardless of the fact that they are wearing some type of jeans. I'm afraid I haven't seen the point in buying them a pair of trousers which they will only wear on 2 nights before they grow out of them. They have suits for formal nights and they would never wear shorts in the DR.

I believe (and they prove the point) that you can put together a very smart look whilst still wearing jeans.

I can honestly say I never even notice what anyone else is wearing - the only exception is when I've seen people deliberately dress down on formal night because they stand out when everyone else is in their finery. :)

I have two teens (17 and 14) that are traveling with me. They usually take two business casual type pants, brown and navy maybe, and 3 button up dress shirts. They like shirts that are made that you do not have to tuck them in. They just rotate them all week and do fine. I made it plain to them that they will not be in jeans in the dining room and quite frankly we did not see anyone in jeans in the DR the last trip out on the Liberty. We enjoy looking nice for dinner. I work at a hospital (scrubs) and my hubby works in a huge warehouse so he is quite dirty by the time he makes it home. Its nice to actually be 'dressed' for dinner. LOL...

Both of my teens asked if we can rent tuxes for formal night this year again! It truly surprised me but we are going to try.

To answer the OP's question...."yes mom, you were correct". :D

DrmnOfMaui....believe it or not, both of my sons play in rock bands and they have some ATROCIOUS looking attire BUT they still like to dress up on the ships...LOL It totally works for me.

I hope you and your son have a fantastic time on the moana...aloha!

:)

Archived