Coco Cay - Bahamas

What activities are there to do in Coco Cay? Age range is from age 10 to 70 in our group. Trying to plan as much in advance.

And is it worth brigin your own snorkeling stuff? Or blow up floats, etc? Looking at prices for mats ($10), times the amount of people in our group:eek:, and I can get some real cheap ones at Wallie world and then dispose of when leaving the island.

Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

Definitely bring your own blow-up floats, if the added weight won't be an issue! The rental mats are fine to use, but they are expensive! (And you really won't need 1 per person---share a bit!)

Bring your own snorkle stuff, too, if you can. Most folks don't like the idea of sharing the mouthpiece!

I watch for sales at Walmart, Target, etc and buy the blow up mats for $1 or $2 each. Take them along, use them, throw them away. Works great

We bought really good snorkel gear from a dive shop, including the inflatable life vests. Since we cruise, snorkel so much we wanted good quality stuff. We had the "costco" stuff, but just not good enough if you snorkel alot. We have a nice bag that holds both our gear, and take it on every cruise we go on.

I couldn't get my 13 and 8 year old off of the HUGE water slide. It was so much fun the even one of our 36 year olds signed up.

Bar none, this will wear their little arses out and they had a blast.

One other thing for adults and older children is to rent the jet ski's. I have done it the past 2 years in Coco Cay.

Thanks! :)

This info is very helpful. Is everything close by? For example if the kids want to ride the jet ski's, is the beach close enough to sit and watch them and wait for them? Also the slide, is it at the beach itself? And finally, the snorkeling, is there a fee to snorkel with our own gear? Or is there still an admission charge?

Thanks again!

I always bring my own snorkel gear. Although I'm debating leaving flippers at home this time due to weight/luggage restrictions. I LOVE to snorkel at CocoCay. Matter of fact, that's about all I do there. I can't tell you about much else. Of course, last time I was there, there wasn't any waterslides or pay-per-use things other than a cheapo floating mat (are those still the same thin little blue things?) and snorkel gear.

Honestly, Coco Cay is one of our very fave ports. We loved it! Snorkeling there is fantastic. Be sure to look under the lifeguard stand in the snorkeling cove, there are lion fish there as well as a swell plane to investigate.

i29g8z.jpg

These starfish the size of dinner plates are laying around all over underwater

And we found this pink octopus on the reef next to that cove, I think it's called the sport cove where they rent sunfish and equipment. He was holding onto a shell and wouldn't let go of it!:p:

2z8p409.jpg

There is no end to the activities there, but walk to the other side of the island for seclusion if you want to. It's just a fantastic place to be.

We bring our own equipment, I recently found a wonderful snorkel that doesn't leak any water ever! herringtoncatalog dot com, just key in breathe-easy dry snorkel

Thanks! :)

This info is very helpful. Is everything close by? For example if the kids want to ride the jet ski's, is the beach close enough to sit and watch them and wait for them? Also the slide, is it at the beach itself? And finally, the snorkeling, is there a fee to snorkel with our own gear? Or is there still an admission charge?

Thanks again!

There are some chairs (and a bar) right by where the jet skis depart from, but you won't be able to see them once they leave. The tour is a "follow the leader" type (but at high speed), you can't just rent a jet ski and go ride for an hour. I did this tour in May and it was fun! I'd never been on a jet ski before so maybe an experienced rider/driver wouldn't have as much fun.

The slide is on the back side of the island near the jet skis (away from the main swimming areas).

As long as you have all the equipment (including vests) there is no extra charge to snorkle.

Archived