Denali NP: Tundra Wilderness or Kantishna Experience ??

lilmiss

Hi everyone...

I just did some research and stumbled across some tours for Denali National Park. Since I am only there for 2 days/ 1 night, I like to book a tour. There is the Tundra Wilderness Tour ( approx. 8hrs) and the Kantishna Experience Tour ( approx. 11 hrs).

Is the longer tour really worth to spend 11 hrs. on the bus ?? And what are differences of both tours apart from the mileage they travel into the park ??? Any experiences ???

I also found the " Kantishna Wilderness Trails " bus tour by Doyon Tourism @ seedenali.com. Anyone done this tour before, is the company reliable ???

thank you for your help !!

Hi everyone...

I just did some research and stumbled across some tours for Denali National Park. Since I am only there for 2 days/ 1 night, I like to book a tour. There is the Tundra Wilderness Tour ( approx. 8hrs) and the Kantishna Experience Tour ( approx. 11 hrs).

Is the longer tour really worth to spend 11 hrs. on the bus ?? And what are differences of both tours apart from the mileage they travel into the park ??? Any experiences ???

I also found the " Kantishna Wilderness Trails " bus tour by Doyon Tourism @ seedenali.com. Anyone done this tour before, is the company reliable ???

thank you for your help !!

Doyon is the Native Alaska organization that has large interests in and around Denali. They own 3 or 4 hotels and provide tours regularly.

I have been to Kantishna twice. The lunch is good. Other than that, it is an expensive trip for what little extra you get unless you are spending the night.

HOWEVER, one of the most spectacular days I have ever had in Alaska was flying OUT of Kantishna directly into the North Face of Denali.

You can save some costs by taking the Kantishna Shuttle or Camper Bus to Kantishna (rather than a tour). You need to book your own bus at the Visitor's Center or online. And no, you don't get lunch so bring your own. Kantishna Shuttle-$46.00 + park entrance fee, Camper bus -$32 + park entrance fee.

You can book the flight at this website-Denali Depot Express OUT of Kantishna. $355 for TWO:

http://www.katair.com/flysee.html#Denali%20Depot%20Xpr

If interested, email and co-ordinate your flight on the Kantishna shuttle/Camper Bus with Kantishna Air. Otherwise, you will need back country permits. While not a hassle to get, just an extra step you do not need to do as you are flying out.

For about $225 per person, you can have a TRULY spectacular day at Denali. The flight out is WELL WORTH IT.

You have the wrong idea with the "tour", description. The above post is an option, but I never recommend the Kantishna tour you ask about, as already stated, a very costly lunch. This does NOT allow you any time for the activities in the area, you need overnights there.

I don't recommend the TWT either for independent travelers, superior, in my opinion, is just getting on the Eielson shuttle bus. 1/3 the cost, and most important, getting farther. Denali park is all about distance and time.

You can book the shuttle buses trips online if of interest. Besides the Eilson Shuttle, there is also the WOnder Lake Shuttle which takes you 85 miles into the park. If Mt. McKinley is out, it is nice to go all the way to Wonder Lake for the views. If it is not out, Eilson is far enough. If going early in the season the Wonder Lake area will have a lot of mosquitos, so be prepared.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-reservations.htm

We thought that the 4 to 5-hour Natural History tour was fine; and, much less expensive. We saw lots of wildlife. The tour guide was great.

At $60 for the NHT, it is not a good deal, when you can get the Eielson shuttle bus for about $40, 16 vs 66 miles. Your wildlife reports are NOT the norm. Many of these NHT's see little or nothing. Since you don't know what you missed, it worked out well for you. But the significant scenery is way past the NHT with Polychrome Pass spectacular.

You have the wrong idea with the "tour", description. The above post is an option, but I never recommend the Kantishna tour you ask about, as already stated, a very costly lunch. This does NOT allow you any time for the activities in the area, you need overnights there.

I don't recommend the TWT either for independent travelers, superior, in my opinion, is just getting on the Eielson shuttle bus. 1/3 the cost, and most important, getting farther. Denali park is all about distance and time.

If taking the shuttle, where would you drop off for small hikes ??? And how much time would you calculate ?? Is it possible to do two or three stops for small hikes to see different areas of the park ??? Would you go all the way to Eielson ??? Does the shuttle also stop for wildlfe sightings/ photo ops when animals are in sight ???

Sorry so many questions, but I want to be well prepared.. :D

Hi everyone...

Since I am only there for 2 days/ 1 night, I like to book a tour. There is the Tundra Wilderness Tour ( approx. 8hrs) .

I suggest either the Shuttle or the Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT).

If you are going this summer, you can likely forget the TWT. It books solid very early unless you want to ask about a cancellation.

The shuttle has greater availability. Whichever you choose, get an early (6-7 am) start. You will have more time, more choices and will likely see more wildlife.

If taking the shuttle, where would you drop off for small hikes ??? And how much time would you calculate ?? Is it possible to do two or three stops for small hikes to see different areas of the park ??? Would you go all the way to Eielson ??? Does the shuttle also stop for wildlfe sightings/ photo ops when animals are in sight ???

Sorry so many questions, but I want to be well prepared.. :D

For me, my min. distance in is Eielson. And, you can get on and off the shuttle unlimited times, anywhere you wish. Time is what you want. There are no trails, you get out and hike. It may be better for first timers to take the bus to their end destination, then get off the bus on the return. When you are done hiking, you just go back to the road and wait for a bus with seats. Yes the shuttle buses stop for wildlife, exactly like the tour buses. Shuttle buses "require" :) the riders to search for the wildlife- all you do yell "stop" and the bus does. :)

What extra is there to see between Kantishna and Wonder Lake? What does one see in Kantishna? I am still trying to decide how far to go. If you take the shuttle, how frequently does it run. Is it possible that you may not find a seat on the next shuttle and have to wait a long time for the one after that? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

For me, my min. distance in is Eielson. And, you can get on and off the shuttle unlimited times, anywhere you wish. Time is what you want. There are no trails, you get out and hike. It may be better for first timers to take the bus to their end destination, then get off the bus on the return. When you are done hiking, you just go back to the road and wait for a bus with seats. Yes the shuttle buses stop for wildlife, exactly like the tour buses. Shuttle buses "require" :) the riders to search for the wildlife- all you do yell "stop" and the bus does. :)

Sounds good..when you want to get off, do you simply scream " Stop ! ", or how does this work ??? Are there any good hiking guides available ???

What extra is there to see between Kantishna and Wonder Lake? What does one see in Kantishna? I am still trying to decide how far to go. If you take the shuttle, how frequently does it run. Is it possible that you may not find a seat on the next shuttle and have to wait a long time for the one after that? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's only a few miles between the two, with Kantishna mostly private property. Going to Wonder Lake is a more scenic route, in my opinion. Access to Reflection Pond, which the Kantishna buses bypass.

The shuttle buses run at least every half hour. IF you get off the shuttle between Eielson and the entrance, you have lots of buses to pick you up. Fewer between Eielson and Wonder Lake/Kantishna.

Sounds good..when you want to get off, do you simply scream " Stop ! ", or how does this work ??? Are there any good hiking guides available ???

Yes you say stop, the bus does- get off. :) There are the Discovery Hikes available and some ranger programs at Savage River. Otherwise you are on your own. http://www.nps.gov/dena

I suggest either the Shuttle or the Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT).

If you are going this summer, you can likely forget the TWT. It books solid very early unless you want to ask about a cancellation.

The shuttle has greater availability. Whichever you choose, get an early (6-7 am) start. You will have more time, more choices and will likely see more wildlife.

If you don't have a car, you will have to walk to the WAC to get an early shuttle, about 1+ miles from Glitter Gulch carrying lunch, binos, camera gear, etc. The TWT will pick you up from your hotel.

It's a tradeoff between an early start or saving the money and taking the shuttle. Wildlife sightings go down significantly in the middle of the day if it is warm and sunny, as they all go nap in the shade.

Archived