Where is the best lobster in Bar Harbor?

cheercoach10

Last time we were there we went to a place right by the pier where the lobster boats were delivering their catch. You pick your lobster and they cook it. You sit at a picnic table. The accompaniments are minimal and nothing special, but the lobster is great. I also tried a local beer flavored with Maine blueberries -- next time I doubt I'll be so adventurous. But, the lobster was great.

Last year, we walked into town a bit and had a super lobster lunch at the Portside Grill. It was down a side street -- not far from the dock.

Makes my mouth water just to remember it!

Enjoy!

LoyHAL

We are sailing on the Maasdam in July. I would love to have a lobster lunch while we are in Bar Harbor. Any suggestions on where we should eat?

West Street Cafe. It's nothing fancy but the food is good and the service is friendly. Earlybird lobster $15.95. But go for the "Earlybird Downeast Special" = Cup of clam chowder + 1 lobster + blueberry pie (to die for). All for $22.95. Get there early for lunch as there will be loooong lineups out the door.

We have always gone there for our lobster, actually"my " lobster as my DH cannot eat shell fish! Poor Fellow!:D I am a born New Englander and very picky about my lobster, their's is wonderful! Just down the street from the tender dock. Enjoy:)

B.

Not in Bar Harbor, but on the Island in Southwest Harbor is a place called Beals. We love it. It is a fish market where you can pick out your own lobster, steamed clams, crab or what ever and they will cook it right up for you. You then sit on the dock, with a rock and munch away. It is a great experience!

Having spent a lot of time in Maine, I can vouch for those that say that the best lobster restaurants are the ones that are the least pretentious. Places where you get lobster, period, in a roll or in the shell. Not crepes, stew, etc. TripAdvisor seems to like the Lobster Claw in Bar Harbor for this kind of venue.... sounds pretty basic but you're going for the lobster, not the atmosphere, right?

Lobster's are pretty easy to cook. Into boiling water and ten minutes (depending on size) voilà! One thing we always ask for is hard shell vs soft shell. Soft shell lobsters have recently molted so even though they look fairly large they are just starting to grow into the new shell. So with that in mind we ask for hard shell because of more meat.

IOP if atmosphere is not that important you can get a good lobster just about at any port stop on this cruise.

In Bar Harbor, this May on our repositioning cruise, we chose Geddy's and split a lobster roll, fresh fried clams and a little neck steamers. It was wonderful. Geddy's is adjacent to the small park where your tender arrives.

We hope you enjoy your cruise on the MS Maasdam as much as we did in May. Cannot wait to re board in October and sail back to Florida on what now is dubbed the "Cruise of the Foliagers."

My only problem with eating Maine Lobster is having grown up in Southwestern Arizona and lived in Southern California for the last 40 years the only lobster that I had eaten was the tail.

When in Maine a couple of summers ago I just had to try Maine lobster. We were in a restaurant on a small harbor and I ordered same. Then comes the fun. No bib, not cracked in any way. Trying to get the meat out and having hot water coming out all over me was fun. And everyone around me was cracking up over the neophyte.

Any way it was good and I will never again order a whole lobster.

:D I sure understand! We had whole Maine Lobster for the first time last year in Bar Harbor. They brought this thing and I said, 'Now what?'... The waiter was good enough to break it open for me and show me what to do!

But, oh my, it certainly was good! Can't wait to go back next year!

LoyHAL

DH is a Maniac (from Maine) and descendend from a long line of lobster fishermen. This thread sure has my mouth watering. You just can't get as good a lobster as you can right from the fisherman. And you sure can't get a decent lobster here in Arizona, so I just don't order it anymore except when in Maine. ----Penny

Archived