explorer of the seas pool question..

Hi everyone..

I am going on the explorer of the seas to bermuda in a few weeks. I read that it said any child who is NOT potty trained is not permitted in the pools...i understand the adult pools but if there is a kids pool why wouldnt they be allowed in there?

there are children who are toilet trained that can easily have accidents! i am paying about $1000 for my 1 yr old who is somehow not allowed to do anything on the ship!?

im just concerned about the days out at sea...does anyone have info about this? do they really check the children going into the kids pool??

thanks everyone!

Hi everyone..

I am going on the explorer of the seas to bermuda in a few weeks. I read that it said any child who is NOT potty trained is not permitted in the pools...i understand the adult pools but if there is a kids pool why wouldnt they be allowed in there? None of the pools on Explorer are chlorinated so the water is not sanitized.

there are children who are toilet trained that can easily have accidents! Unfortunately there are adults who have "accidents" too. They're either too lazy, too drunk or just don't care. i am paying about $1000 for my 1 yr old who is somehow not allowed to do anything on the ship!?

im just concerned about the days out at sea...does anyone have info about this? do they really check the children going into the kids pool?? Yes, they do

thanks everyone!

These are probably not the answers that you wanted to hear. Would you want to be swimming in a pool that some child is in with a soiled diaper?

Hi everyone..

I am going on the explorer of the seas to bermuda in a few weeks. I read that it said any child who is NOT potty trained is not permitted in the pools...i understand the adult pools but if there is a kids pool why wouldnt they be allowed in there?

there are children who are toilet trained that can easily have accidents! i am paying about $1000 for my 1 yr old who is somehow not allowed to do anything on the ship!?

im just concerned about the days out at sea...does anyone have info about this? do they really check the children going into the kids pool??

thanks everyone!

I'm not sure how they could possibly "check" the children.....no one knows for sure if they are potty trained or not. They have to take the "hopefully" honest word for it from the parent. I would imagine they would look closer if the child is too young.

If there is a "known accident"......the cruise line will close the pool, drain it, clean it and then refill.

Honestly.....I am glad they have rules like that. I hope they do everything they can to keep them as sanitary as possible.

The only RCI pools that allow non-potty trained kids are Indy, Freedom, and I think Enchantment has a small area. On the family boards you can get lots of advice as to which little inflatable pool to bring for you little one.

You really wouldn't want your child to ingest bacteria from someone else's bowels, would you?

The child is not allowed in the pool. Look for your other options, and wait for the beaches.

As a new mother, you might want to look up the word cryptosporidium.

It's actually not a cruiseline rule - it's a CDC rule. Since the pool water is not chlorinated like a regular pool, there is no way to prevent the growth of e-coli. While e-coli can make an adult ill, it can easily kill a small child (and it has in a couple of instances in water parks). This does not come from urine (which is relatively sterile), but from feces. No way of containing it in swim diapers either.

On those ships that do have a baby area, they are not really "pools" but little splash areas without standing water.

I'm sure you would not want to expose your baby to anything that might be passed from another untrained child now, would you?

Many parents post these questions.

I know that you want your little ones to have some fun but there are considerations and restrictions.

The pools are not chlorinated like the community and club pools at home so they must be more cautious. Even the chlorinated pools at home are becoming more restrictive.

We were on Explorer in April and a child had an accident (poop) in one of the pools. Thankfully I had just exited the adjacent pool. The pool had to be closed, drained, thoroughly scrubbed and sanitized and then re-filled.

I for one was thankful that the parents told someone right away.

I have seen some families who have brought small inflatables that they could put water in and those little ones had fun without knowing that they were missing anything.

Your 1 year old won't even KNOW there's a pool, if you don't take them....little children don't need to swim.....

It's all about health...you wouldn't let your child swim in a toilet--and that's what a pool with un-pottytrained kids is.....the ship doesn't have the filtering system to take care of fecal matter.

The pools do need to be protected from accidents children may have in the water. BUT... Pools on ship are never a clean place. People are dirty to start with. Walking around barefoot, using the bathroom and then entering the pool, eating, sweating, sneezing in the pool, suntan lotion washing off, people with cuts, dirty hair .... You name it and it ends up in the pool somehow. AND WOMEN SHOULD AVOID THE WHIRLPOOLS ENTIRELY.

SO, try to go enjoy the water and be more concerned about how safe the food is your eating (Check the CDC site for the Vessel Sanitation Program)

Hi. yes they do check the kids in the pools they have deck patrol. i have been on a number of cruises on the explorer i have seen parents with children who are not potty trained bring a small inflatable pool and put it next to their lounge chairs and the kids are as happy as little clams and so were the parents hope this helped

Hi. yes they do check the kids in the pools they have deck patrol. i have been on a number of cruises on the explorer i have seen parents with children who are not potty trained bring a small inflatable pool and put it next to their lounge chairs and the kids are as happy as little clams and so were the parents hope this helped

I have always wondered what they do with "the broth" when the little clams are done???

The pools do need to be protected from accidents children may have in the water. BUT... Pools on ship are never a clean place. People are dirty to start with. Walking around barefoot, using the bathroom and then entering the pool, eating, sweating, sneezing in the pool, suntan lotion washing off, people with cuts, dirty hair .... You name it and it ends up in the pool somehow. AND WOMEN SHOULD AVOID THE WHIRLPOOLS ENTIRELY.

SO, try to go enjoy the water and be more concerned about how safe the food is your eating (Check the CDC site for the Vessel Sanitation Program)

Excuse me? That is a horrible comment and totally uncalled for. :mad:

Excuse me? That is a horrible comment and totally uncalled for. :mad:

I believe that comment was made because of the fact that the hot tubs are breeding grounds for infections, in fact I got a urinary infection from a hot tub during a cruise, therefore, I don't go in them anymore. Also, my GYN told me to stay away from them.

I've never heard that women should avoic whirlpools, unless maybe they are pregnant. I always spend huge amounts of time on the ship in the pools and hot tubs. Have always been just fine.

FYI - The pools and hot tubs are REQUIRED to use a halogen agent (i.e., chlorine, bromine, etc.) even though they are seawater. You can get the document that outlines the requirements off the CDC website, under the VSP (vessel sanitization program) section.

Archived