hotel in Barcelona, Spain?

2serendip

We just got back from Barcelona on Sunday (6/28/09). We stayed at Hotel Jazz which is about a block west of Catalunya. Metro station is a few steps away, and aerobus (to and from airport) is also a block or so away. It's close to La Rambla but without all the noices. For 91 euro a night that we booked directly with the hotel online a few months ago, you can't go wrong with this hotel. The room is nice and big, contemporary design.

We stayed at the Avenida Palace Hotel, about a block off the Placa Catalunya. The top of La Rambla was a short walk, maybe one block and then through the Placa Catalunya. It was myself, DH and DS12, and we stayed there both pre-cruise and post cruise. Both rooms were large enough for 3, very comfortable and clean.

We're going to be in Barcelona for 2 nights at the end of October. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice hotel in a central location preferably near Las Ramblas and the Old Town? Thanks!

Hi, we're sailing on sept 13th and booked two nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Villa Emilia. A few blocks from Plaza Catalunya but not on a very noisy avenue from what I've read. A block from the metro station, it's a very nice small modern looking boutique hotel with some great reviews on Trip Advisor.

After that we'll be staying at Olivia Plaza for a post-cruise night. Right in front of Plaza Catalunya which is a great location I think. I'll post my comments about both hotels when I return.

Barcelona has way too many hotels!! it makes it harder to choose..

My vote is for Hotel 1898. It's an amazing hotel. The rooftop pool, lounge and terrace offer amazing city views and the spa/gym and indoor pool are so nice after a long day of sighteeing. You can't beat the location as well.

We stayed at the Silken Gran Hotel Havana last month for one night before our cruise. We went through Priceline and requested a 4 star hotel in the Las Ramblas area. The hotel was in a great location on Gran Via near Las Ramblas and the Gothic area and a slightly longer walk to the Familia Sagrada. It also had a wonderful rooftop pool and view.

My vote is and will always be for the Hotel Jazz. Great location - quiet enough yet just a couple of minutes walk from the top of Las Ramblas (Placa Catalunya), a metro station a few steps from the front door and a rooftop pool. The staff their are among the most helpful and best that I've found at any hotel.

Hotel 1898 is a sister hotel to the Jazz and I can see why that is also popular as it has a similar vibe.

I am booked for Montblanc. Anyone with anything to say on that hotel?

We'll be staying there in November. Know very little. Primary reason for our booking: a shortage of hotels in Ramblas area with triple rooms available. Interested in any info. Also cost of cab fare from airport to hotel and hotel to ship.

We'll be staying there in November. Know very little. Primary reason for our booking: a shortage of hotels in Ramblas area with triple rooms available. Interested in any info. Also cost of cab fare from airport to hotel and hotel to ship.

Hello we stayed at HCC Montblanc on Via Laietana last month. The room we had faced towards the street and we had no problems with the street noise. The metro station is down the street. You have a bank/atm across the street and this hotel is about 2-3 blocks from Plaza Catalunya & Las Ramblas. The HOHO bus I believe it was the blue line runs down this street. The room was basic, it did the job since we hardly were there.. basically slept, showered & off we went. Cecilia at the front desk was very nice & helpful. She helped us find our luggage (airline lost them for 2 days. The hotel has free WIFI if you bring your laptop.

We are going to be in Barcelona Sept. 2010 during their big Le Merce Celebration which goes on night and day for few days surrounding the 24th.

We are looking for a hotel a few blocks away from Las Ramblas so we can get some sleep...I've checked the hotel sites, but would love to hear from someone who has stayed a little distance from Las Ramblas... Thanks

We have hilton points so can stay free but both Hiltons are not near the port or anything we want to see. Is it worth it to stay free and then use the metro? Is the Metro safe at night or will we need to get back to the hotel before dark? Or is it safe to just catch a cab from the Las Ramblas area at night and get back that way? The metro stops a few blocks from the hotel so during the day we would be fine with that. Just haven't heard from anyone if cabs generally are safe. My vote for lodging otherwise would be Jazz.

We have hilton points so can stay free but both Hiltons are not near the port or anything we want to see. Is it worth it to stay free and then use the metro? Is the Metro safe at night or will we need to get back to the hotel before dark? Or is it safe to just catch a cab from the Las Ramblas area at night and get back that way? The metro stops a few blocks from the hotel so during the day we would be fine with that. Just haven't heard from anyone if cabs generally are safe. My vote for lodging otherwise would be Jazz.

Cabs are safe but too expensive for multiple trips. The Metro is safe and fairly east to navigate but time consuming with multiple stops and perhaps a change of trains. We highly recomend staying near the Las Ramblas area, or just a local bus stop away.

We are going to be in Barcelona Sept. 2010 during their big Le Merce Celebration which goes on night and day for few days surrounding the 24th.

We are looking for a hotel a few blocks away from Las Ramblas so we can get some sleep...I've checked the hotel sites, but would love to hear from someone who has stayed a little distance from Las Ramblas... Thanks

Still looking for recommendation from someone who has stayed away from Las Ramblas..for the quiet, but close enough to walk to to it...Thanks

We were in Barcelona a year ago, and while researching for hotels, I felt exactly like you. I had originally booked the Continental, and ended up changing my reservation for only 20€ more for Hotel Royal Ramblas. It is actually across from Continental, right on Las Ramblas. It is a bit more modern. It's not a very big hotel, but the rooms are quite large, very comfortable and quiet - windows are totally soundproof. It is very conveniently located close to Placa Catalunya. I would go back there in a flash. Breakfast was available in the restaurant next door and was perfect - lots to choose from.

I had made my reservation using venere.com which doesn't require you to pay in advance.

MC

I second the Royal Ramblas (although the signage only says Royal).

It is a half block from the Placa Catalunya, where you can pick up the Bus Turistic or the Metro....

Clean, Roomy, huge bathroom with bidet, and discounted breakfast and dinner at the restaurant downstairs (which I didn't partake in, but looked good).

Plus reasonable prices.

Falcons. My choice for you would be Hotel Pulitzer. We have stayed there twice before, and going again 9-12-09 for pre and post cruise.

Excellent service, very nice clean modern rooms. And best of all, the roof top bar!

How could anyone NOT choose Hotel 1898?? Tremendous property with so much class and ambience. Talk about getting your vacation off to a roaring start...or ending it with such great memories, this hotel is IT! I'd save and save and save to stay there again. Forget about the the pink, plastic and free beer and go with a property that is second to none in Barcelona. My top three choices are Hotel 1898, Jazz and Monte Carlo.

If you're sightseeing more than staying in your room, Hotel Continental has a 24 hour snack bar with sodas, beer, wine, soft serve, capuccinos, etc. The rooms run between 95 and 115 Euros per night. There's breakfast in the mornings included with the rooms. The balcony rooms are noisy, but you have a nice view of Las Ramblas. It's near a self-service laundry and Buenas Migas bakery/cafe. :)

I am staying at the Hotel Colon; coming in on 10/10; want to take the walking tapas tour. I am taking taxi to hotel and taking taxi to port; cause it is just me and don't want to walk alone with my luggage from the bus to hotel/port.

My wife and I are looking for a hotel recommendation for Barcelona for sep 30. I've researched the area just a little, and I think our ideal spot would be close to but not right on Las Ramblas. Close enough to get to, but not be bothered by the activity at night if we want to get some rest.

Also, a lot of the recommendations in this thread seem to be for nicer hotels that can be a bit pricey. Does anyone have any "budget" recommendations for a hotel that might be a little more affordable? Our budget ideally would be about $100-150, or less. Any location that would make it easier to get to the port would be ideal.

My wife and I are looking for a hotel recommendation for Barcelona for sep 30. I've researched the area just a little, and I think our ideal spot would be close to but not right on Las Ramblas. Close enough to get to, but not be bothered by the activity at night if we want to get some rest.

Also, a lot of the recommendations in this thread seem to be for nicer hotels that can be a bit pricey. Does anyone have any "budget" recommendations for a hotel that might be a little more affordable? Our budget ideally would be about $100-150, or less. Any location that would make it easier to get to the port would be ideal.

We booked a triple room at HCC Montblanc Hotel Barcelona for November thru Orbitz for $158 [including tax]. Good location.

We travel frequently and check prices thru several sites, e.g. Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com etc and then go to TripAdvisor for reviews. Having a map to a city always helps.

Archived