hotel in Barcelona, Spain?

2serendip

We're going to be in Barcelona for 2 nights at the end of October. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice hotel in a central location preferably near Las Ramblas and the Old Town? Thanks!

We just stayed at the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas right next to Plaza Catalunya. We loved it , loved it, loved it. We had a balcony which had a heavy door which kept out the noise and a dark curtain which kept out the light. They have a buffet breakfast and a 24 hour food buffet with free coffee, tea, soft drinks, beer and wine. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

We stayed at Grand Hotel Central. It is very close to Las Rambla, and basically in the gothic cathedral district. It is a VERY MODERN, and dimly lit hotel. Peaceful, and I loved the automated curtains! THey also have a rooftop infinity pool!!!

I loved it.

There are many threads re Barcelona hotels. Do a forum search. We have booked Hotel Jazz a couple blocks off Las Ramblas. Popular and modern. Moderate rates.

Check out this site for more info re hotels and Las Ramblas. not all hotels ARE on the map. But it's a good start. You will probably find booking directly with the hotel will give you the best rate. Alot include breakfast and taxes. So check that when you book.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/ramblas/barcelona-map-ramblas.html

We just stayed at the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas right next to Plaza Catalunya. We loved it , loved it, loved it. We had a balcony which had a heavy door which kept out the noise and a dark curtain which kept out the light. They have a buffet breakfast and a 24 hour food buffet with free coffee, tea, soft drinks, beer and wine. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

I second the vote for Hotel Continental we were there on June 6 and it was great. Good location, clean and the 24 buffet is a plus. The staff was very helpful as well.

We're going to be in Barcelona for 2 nights at the end of October. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice hotel in a central location preferably near Las Ramblas and the Old Town? Thanks!

We stayed at the Olivia Plaza hotel top of las Ramblas right on Plaza Catalunya: http://www.oliviahotels.es/

The Rivoli is half way down Las Ramblas. The entrance is in a quiet side street off Las Ramblas, only a few minutes walk from all the hustle and bustle but it does make the bedrooms a lot quieter. I loved this hotel anf found the location fantastic

You will notice that on these boards a preponderance of folks recommending the Continental or Continental Palacete. Everyone talks about how great they are in one breath, then talks about the plastic furniture and the very pink decor in the other.

I am not crazy about plastic chairs nor a hotel that resembles a brothel. Depending on your budget, I highly recommend Hotel 1898 right on Las Ramblas for a sophisticated and elegant stay; I would also consider the Pulitzer and Hotel Jazz.

Some folks from our roll call were staying at the Palacete, but came for drinks to the 1898. They were shocked at how lovely it was.

So you have a wide variety of choices--I spent probably 50 hours all told researching every hotel near Las Ramblas in depth, and was delighted that I selected 1898. It cost a little more but was totally worth it--and when you look at the difference in the scheme of the entire European vacation, it's pretty insignificant. We took public tranport everywhere (other than the 13 euro cab ride to the ship) which made up for a lot of the expense.

Lots to choose from out there!

Cathy

You will notice that on these boards a preponderance of folks recommending the Continental or Continental Palacete. Everyone talks about how great they are in one breath, then talks about the plastic furniture and the very pink decor in the other.

I am not crazy about plastic chairs nor a hotel that resembles a brothel. Depending on your budget, I highly recommend Hotel 1898 right on Las Ramblas for a sophisticated and elegant stay; I would also consider the Pulitzer and Hotel Jazz.

I have to add that I've read over and over that the beds are hard and uncomfortable at Hotel Continental. That did it for me. I could have perhaps overlooked the decor, but comfortable beds are an absolute must.

We stayed at Hotel Montecarlo right on Las Ramblas - rated #1 on Trip Advisor. We got a Get-It-Now rate that was fantastic and the rooms and service far, far exceeded our expectations. I started out originally wanting to stay at Hotel 1898 but we couldn't get it at a decent rate. We were more than happy at our Hotel Montecarlo choice.

In addition to searching this forum, check Trip Advisor and read the comments. It helped me alot. Good luck!

We were there in early June, before and after a May 31st cruise. We stayed at Hotel Continental before the cruise and enjoyed it. Very loud and noisy at night becasue you are right on La Rambla, but it was nice. They have a 24 hour buffett that is good for breakfast and snacks. On the way back we stayed at the Silken Ramblas which is about a block off of La Rambla. It is newer and more upscale. A little more expensive, but we got some good rates. I would stay there again.

I am not crazy about plastic chairs nor a hotel that resembles a brothel.

We were in Barcelona a year ago, and while researching for hotels, I felt exactly like you. I had originally booked the Continental, and ended up changing my reservation for only 20€ more for Hotel Royal Ramblas. It is actually across from Continental, right on Las Ramblas. It is a bit more modern. It's not a very big hotel, but the rooms are quite large, very comfortable and quiet - windows are totally soundproof. It is very conveniently located close to Placa Catalunya. I would go back there in a flash. Breakfast was available in the restaurant next door and was perfect - lots to choose from.

I had made my reservation using venere.com which doesn't require you to pay in advance.

MC

Hotel 1898 is my choice. I've stayed in 3 other hotels in Barcelona and this was by far my favorite. Location, atmosphere, amenities... It had it all for me. I was there for 6 nights and cannot wait for an opportunity to be there again.

I thought the beds at the Hotel Continental were very comfortable and I liked the quirky decorations. I much prefer this to something modern and generic. To each his own.

Ditto for me.

When previous guest describe the room as pink with plastic furniture, it is setting expectations...this is not your typical hotel.

Some folks from our roll call were staying at the Palacete, but came for drinks to the 1898. They were shocked at how lovely it was.

So you have a wide variety of choices--I spent probably 50 hours all told researching every hotel near Las Ramblas in depth, and was delighted that I selected 1898. It cost a little more but was totally worth it--and when you look at the difference in the scheme of the entire European vacation, it's pretty insignificant. We took public tranport everywhere (other than the 13 euro cab ride to the ship) which made up for a lot of the expense.

Lots to choose from out there!

Cathy

I have to stick up for the Continental Palacete just a little. It's definitely a hotel with character. It doesn't look at all like a brothel - more like it was decorated by Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances! :D (or maybe Laura Ashley with a bad hangover.) And the staff are so helpful and charming that it's easy to work around the plastic chairs. Our mattress was very comfortable when we stayed there, but that's a very subjective call.

Lisa

We stayed at the Hotel Inglaterra and LOVED it!!! Contemporary rooms,modern bathrooms, street-side balcony, soundproofed windows, friendly,helpful staff. Get a Superior Room-well worth it for the additional space. Excellent breakfast. Book the Internet rate and save. Across the street from the Hotel Jazz. Great Location. Go and enjoy!!!

I also stayed at the Hotel Continental last Fall, as the result of reading Cruise Critic recommendations. I wasn't disappointed with the comfort, location, or price. I loved sitting on my balcony overlooking Las Ramblas, drinking a free beer, and soaking up the ambiance of my surroundings. The Metro was a few steps away. The HO/HO buses were just around the corner. My room was immaculate and the staff was charming. What more could I ask for?

Archived