Does Cunard Favor UK Residents?

kennethwthomas17

We are Cunard Platinum World Club member who reside in the United States. We have sailed with Cunard for 8 voyages. Our last was a Trans-Atlantic crossing in April, where we had booked a Britannia Club category AA stateroom. We received a complementary upgrade to Princess Grill. We were very happy. Onboard we met a couple from the UK, who had also booked a Britannia Club category AA stateroom. It was their first cruise with Cunard. They received a complementary upgrade to Queens Grill. We first contacted the US office to state we thought this was unfair. The response was that the US operation is independent from the UK operation and they have separate inventories of available staterooms. Since we did not feel that our concern was properly addressed, we sent correspondence directly to Carol Marlow. We are sure it was intercepted before she received it, but again the response was sent from Guest Relations in the US.

We would appreciate comments from all, before we decide if we will go forward with our booking for the Maiden Voyage of the Queen Elizabeth.

Okey dokey..............................here goes...........

97% of the upgrade equasion is based upon what one has paid relevant to everyone else in the category.

Historically, we have received better rates on the North American tariff than those who are forced to book through the UK tariff.

The UK has a different tariff (rate card) but they do not have separate inventory. We all sell into the same inventory.. just use different rates... and rate codes.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

So, the other couple paid more for their AA than you did. Thus, you went to Princess and they to Queens.

97% of the upgrade equasion is based upon what one has paid relevant to everyone else in the category.

Historically, we have received better rates on the North American tariff than those who are forced to book through the UK tariff.

The UK has a different tariff (rate card) but they do not have separate inventory. We all sell into the same inventory.. just use different rates... and rate codes.

So, the other couple paid more for their AA than you did. Thus, you went to Princess and they to Queens.

A Perfect explanation, thank you

I don't think I would want a note on my record saying that I was the passenger who through a hissy fit because they were unhappy with their upgrade. ;)

If you would read the comment again, you would see I stated we were very happy with the upgrade. Our question was are residents from the UK favored regarding upgrades.

Now that is a response which is certainly reasonable. But why do you think Cunard did not state that was the case and gave the explanation of separate inventories?

Now that is a response which is certainly reasonable. But why do you think Cunard did not state that was the case and gave the explanation of separate inventories?

You should do what I do, if im not happy, I write MANY letters, send many emails, in the end you get OBC, it works

As a Diamond member I would be happy to receive any complimentary upgrade. I suspect it is totally random.

I am also a Diamond member & would gladly take any upgrade, but I book what I can afford and a happy to be able to sail where "they" put me.;)

This really hits the nail on the head. The pricing differences, based on where you book are substantial. I wrote an article about his on my blog last november (http://www.bugslyboo.com/index.php?/Online-Archive/Blog-Archive/paying-too-much-for-your-caribbean-cruise.html).

Hands down, the best - cheapest - rates are the US rates. This means, if what ocngypz says is correct (which, I think must be correct) then those booking off the US rates will probably always be at the end of the upgrade line.

We met a couple on our journey to Southampton who had been upgraded to one of the Grills (can't remember which) and they said that it was through their agent. They were regular customers and the agent was responsible for this treat.

Don't know how true it was but I think it can happen.

We met a couple on our journey to Southampton who had been upgraded to one of the Grills (can't remember which) and they said that it was through their agent. They were regular customers and the agent was responsible for this treat.

Don't know how true it was but I think it can happen.

Their agent was lying.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell

Thanks, but I will stay with Agents in the UK who are bonded.... What happens if you go pop......?????

Thanks, but I will stay with Agents in the UK who are bonded.... What happens if you go pop......?????

When honest agencies take your booking, credit cards are run through the cruiseline for deposits and final payments. Those agencies never have a penny of the client's money.

It's only when booking through dishonest agencies.....when things could happen.

When you see your deposit on your cc statement it says.. Cunard Line...........when you see your final on your cc statement is says.. Cunard Line.

While some older folks still want to pay by check... it's never a good idea. Perhaps payment by check is more common in the UK??? I know running credit cards through the agency is more common in the UK... as well as some charge a transaction fee for using a credit card.

We are Cunard Platinum World Club member who reside in the United States. We have sailed with Cunard for 8 voyages. Our last was a Trans-Atlantic crossing in April, where we had booked a Britannia Club category AA stateroom. We received a complementary upgrade to Princess Grill. We were very happy. Onboard we met a couple from the UK, who had also booked a Britannia Club category AA stateroom. It was their first cruise with Cunard. They received a complementary upgrade to Queens Grill. We first contacted the US office to state we thought this was unfair. The response was that the US operation is independent from the UK operation and they have separate inventories of available staterooms. Since we did not feel that our concern was properly addressed, we sent correspondence directly to Carol Marlow. We are sure it was intercepted before she received it, but again the response was sent from Guest Relations in the US.

We would appreciate comments from all, before we decide if we will go forward with our booking for the Maiden Voyage of the Queen Elizabeth.

I have paid for the Princess Grill on the QE maiden voyage. I hope you whingers don't get upgraded to anywhere near my table... But then again, I'm UK so I'll probably end up in the Queen's Grill! LMAO:D

I have paid for the Princess Grill on the QE maiden voyage. I hope you whingers don't get upgraded to anywhere near my table... But then again, I'm UK so I'll probably end up in the Queen's Grill! LMAO:D

We were not familiar with the term "whingers" because of the spelling but we are sure "pompous ass" is spelled the same on both sides of the pond!

Hi Karen and Ken,

It's a shame you became disappointed with your upgrade just because someone chose to spoil it for you by boasting they had a better deal!

Personally, if I was lucky enough to ever get a cracking upgrade or outstanding discount, the last thing i would do, would be to run the risk of upsetting my fellow passengers by bleating about it!

Judging by the stir of reaction to your thread, perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt for you on both sides of this fence;)?

Oh.....dear....Its not fair...da.de.da.......:(....upgrades are a lottery.

As for us Brits in rip-off Britain.....think yourselves very lucky with the cruise prices our American cousins enjoy...with coupons and line credit cards...we enjoy nothing like that over here. Why do you think lots of the American cruise lines are starting to favour us......and come more our way......easy ££'s......us Brits just accept things too easily. Ho hum.....anyway go off and enjoy your lovely cruise and stop worrying about anybody else.

Oh.....dear....Its not fair...da.de.da.......:(....upgrades are a lottery.

As for us Brits in rip-off Britain.....think yourselves very lucky with the cruise prices our American cousins enjoy...with coupons and line credit cards...we enjoy nothing like that over here. Why do you think lots of the American cruise lines are starting to favour us......and come more our way......easy ££'s......us Brits just accept things too easily. Ho hum.....anyway go off and enjoy your lovely cruise and stop worrying about anybody else.

Then book in the US. There is nothing to stop you.

And, on occasions, my US agent can't match UK pricing. It isn't a one way street.

The booking conditions also make a difference - the deposit is refundable in the US......

Remember us Brits are under no obligaition to book via a UK agent.. most Agents in the US are happy to take our bookings.. and extend the great prices available in the US to us. Clearly this depends on exchange rates - but at $1.60 at the moment, it works out perfectly for us. (of course, you may miss out on an upgrade, but I for one would rather pay less than pay more for a gamble..)

Gary

Then book in the US. There is nothing to stop you.

And, on occasions, my US agent can't match UK pricing. It isn't a one way street.

The booking conditions also make a difference - the deposit is refundable in the US......

My last cruise and the next cruise, US agents could not get close to my UK agents price, but as the quoted says US can't match all the time.

Just to add a point to this thread with my theory that you get better upgrades in your first few cruises with Cunard as a "sweetener" than you do in later cruises (a tactic which makes good commercial sense) . This has happened to us and would explain your situation.

Fred & Sian...UK

Archived