A Convincing Arguement...

SliderNc

My g/f and I are planning our now annual cruise vacation for December, between the holidays. Last year, we did a 7-day on the Mariner of the Seas which we found a great price on around this time last year. We had a blast and it was the first cruise that I had gone on in almost 14+ years.

My g/f went on another cruise 2 months later on the Carnival Glory and although she had a great time for the most part, she felt that RCCL's level of service all around was better than CCL. She did say that the food was better on CCL and the cabin they had was a bit larger than the cabin we had on the Mariner. She also felt that the Mariner was a nicer ship (appearance, decoration, layout) than the Glory.

With some recent emails from the TA we used last year and just some general browsing, I've narrowed our choices based on dates for us that work the best to the following:

12/13 7-Day Liberty of the Seas

12/13 7-Day Carnival Legend

I'm having a hard time trying to convince my g/f about giving Carnival another try for one as I have never sailed on them and I'd like to form my own opinion of a cruise line before I decide if I like them or not. The difference in fares, without factoring in a $200 OBC with RCCL and a great price I found on the Legend is about $250/pp. Her exact words to me were that she would pay my extra $250 just to sail on the Liberty of the Seas. Her problem was the way she was treated by both the customer service people at the pursers desk and at the excursion desk as well when trying to get refunds due cancellations or being overcharged twice for the specialty restaurant. It's hard to argue with someone who saves every receipt and knows to the penny how much she spent and when but they attempted to and made her feel like she was wrong and they were right. The excursion issues I think lent themselves from the fact that they tried to pressure her and her friend into getting another excursion instead of just getting the refund for it as they had asked for 10 minutes. Times are tough, and I understand that you don't like to lose money, but you have to honor the request of the customer if they do not wish to take another excursion.

So I'm stuck because I'd like to give Carnival a shot to see if I experience what she experienced. I've heard many great things about the Legend and almost all of the reviews I've read have been positive with the recent negative ones coming from the first cruise where the swine flu broke out and they had to cancel a port or two. What can I tell her that will help her change her mind?

[quote=SliderNc;20122190

Her exact words to me were that she would pay my extra $250 just to sail on the Liberty of the Seas.

What can I tell her that will help her change her mind?

Show me the money.

Really, what can you tell her that will change what she experienced?

You should probably go on RCI this time, and perhaps try again on Carnival later. Your girlfriend's mindset is such that, if you force her to take a Carvical cruise this time, she will be annoyed and find fault with minute stuff.

Pay the extra $500, go, have a great time, and try again later.

My g/f and I are planning our now annual cruise vacation for December, between the holidays. Last year, we did a 7-day on the Mariner of the Seas which we found a great price on around this time last year. We had a blast and it was the first cruise that I had gone on in almost 14+ years.

My g/f went on another cruise 2 months later on the Carnival Glory and although she had a great time for the most part, she felt that RCCL's level of service all around was better than CCL. She did say that the food was better on CCL and the cabin they had was a bit larger than the cabin we had on the Mariner. She also felt that the Mariner was a nicer ship (appearance, decoration, layout) than the Glory.

With some recent emails from the TA we used last year and just some general browsing, I've narrowed our choices based on dates for us that work the best to the following:

I'm having a hard time trying to convince my g/f about giving Carnival another try for one as I have never sailed on them and I'd like to form my own opinion of a cruise line before I decide if I like them or not. The difference in fares, without factoring in a $200 OBC with RCCL and a great price I found on the Legend is about $250/pp. Her exact words to me were that she would pay my extra $250 just to sail on the Liberty of the Seas. Her problem was the way she was treated by both the customer service people at the pursers desk and at the excursion desk as well when trying to get refunds due cancellations or being overcharged twice for the specialty restaurant. It's hard to argue with someone who saves every receipt and knows to the penny how much she spent and when but they attempted to and made her feel like she was wrong and they were right. The excursion issues I think lent themselves from the fact that they tried to pressure her and her friend into getting another excursion instead of just getting the refund for it as they had asked for 10 minutes. Times are tough, and I understand that you don't like to lose money, but you have to honor the request of the customer if they do not wish to take another excursion.

So I'm stuck because I'd like to give Carnival a shot to see if I experience what she experienced. I've heard many great things about the Legend and almost all of the reviews I've read have been positive with the recent negative ones coming from the first cruise where the swine flu broke out and they had to cancel a port or two. What can I tell her that will help her change her mind?

Tell her it's ok if she doesn't want to go, you'll invite along a single guy and make it a guy trip :p;) JK

I guess my view is that if she seriously doesn't want to go on Carnival your setting yourself up for a bad time. It is my opinion that if someone is SURE they are gonna hate something then they will.

Attitude is everything.

That said you could point out that the 500 saved on between the two of you could buy her some nice souveniers;)

For this year, take the RCL ship. If ANYTHING goes wrong on the CCL ship, you'll spend an entire week hearing "I told you we should have gone on the other ship"! It's just not worth the aggravation.

Next year, suggest trying Carnival again. By then, you will have already been on the RCL ship and will know what you might be missing.

My first Carnival cruise was on the Elation. Although it was not a BAD ship, I did not want to sail on Carnival again. There were just so many little things that annoyed me. The hallways stayed littered with dirty dishes ALL week! Our room steward would leave dirty dishes in our room for days on end. Carpeting throughout the ship had horrible stains and just looked dirty. Many seat cushions in the Lido Buffet dining room were held together with duct tape. On our last Sea Day, two Carnival employees got into a very loud argument about who's turn it was to monitor the pool slide. This was in front of about 250 people around the pool. When you added up everything, I was very unimpressed with Carnival and had no desire to sail with them again. I let one single ship decide my opinion of the entire line.

18 months later I wanted to book a cruise for Fall Break. My choices out of Galveston were Conquest and Rhapsody of the Seas. I called a TA to book the ROS ship since I had no desire to be on another Carnival ship. Well, my TA convinced me to give Carnival another try because the Conquest was a much larger and newer ship and we'd be able to get a Balcony cabin on Conquest for the same price as an OV room on ROS. After dragging my feet for a while, I finally decided to give Carnival another try.

My experience on the Conquest was SOOOOO much better than the Elation. The crew was happier and more friendly. No piles of dirty dishes in the hallway all week long making it look like a Motel 6. Carpeting and Furniture was in good repair. We Loved the Conquest!

What's my point? Don't let one single cruise on one single ship set the tone for whether or not you like doing business with that particular cruise line. Glory is one of the older ships.

So, to keep peace for now, stick with RCL and maybe try CCL again next year.

The difference in fares, without factoring in a $200 OBC with RCCL and a great price I found on the Legend is about $250/pp.

From what you said the difference isnt even $250 after you factor in OBC. I would do RCL if that is all the difference is and pick another short Carnival cruise to do another time so you get to sample the food.

Iv paid that much more to do RCL myself and Im like your g/f, I know where every penny goes to.

Carnival does have some communication issues imo so thats two of us. I cruise Carnival so much because I live in Texas and cruise year round, so Carnival is the only choice. Iv had issues with service on Conquest twice. RCL is just a little better in that dept. This isnt to say you wouldnt have a great time on Carnival too, but there will be a time when Carnival is much cheaper if you are booking further out.

It she is willing to pay the extra for the Liberty, I would definitely go with that. There's really nothing comparable to the Freedom class ships (except maybe the Celibrity Solstice and upcoming Oasis of the Seas).

You should probably go on RCI this time, and perhaps try again on Carnival later. Your girlfriend's mindset is such that, if you force her to take a Carvical cruise this time, she will be annoyed and find fault with minute stuff.

Pay the extra $500, go, have a great time, and try again later.

I'm a female and I have to agree with this. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. I will say that you can't judge one cruise as though they all will be the same. I hope you know that. I've had excellent service on all my Carnival cruises and I love the larger cabin, cheaper price, best food and love the entertainment. One other thing to factor is the actual ship comparison. I haven't sailed on the Legend but I have sailed on sister ships Spirit and Pride and absolutely love this ship design. So easy to get around with none of those dead ends that many ships have. I think the Spirit class ship is the best. But as I said, you probably can't convince your gf any of this.

YOU will have a better time if SHE is having a good time, and it's pretty clear that she will have a better time on RCCL. Since she went on a cruise without you recently, I am guessing you should have the opportunity to do the same and can try Carnival at that time. (Not trying to make trouble for ya, but Carnival is the BEST for solo cruisers :p)

If you really want to try to get her on the Legend, you could always try bribery. That $500 could go a long way towards a nice piece of jewelry :D

I am a long time RCCL cruiser. I think the ships of Royal Caribbean are absolutely beautiful and I love the Promenade. The food on Carnival to me is a lot better and the supper club is better than Chops on RCCL. My all time favorite specialty restaurant is Portofino. I would go there every night if I could gain 25 lbs on the cruise, lol.

Having said that, I think if your G/F is willing to pay the money, you should give Liberty of the Seas a try. It is a new ship, and will have many things Carnival doesn't have. As mentioned previously, your life will be He-- if you don't. She will totally be looking for things to criticize.

I don't know the circumstances of her canceling an excursion, but I hate to tell her that all ships don't let you cancel a booked excursion just because you feel like it. If there is a wait-list, then you might be ok, but if not, the ships expect you to be there. Most times they notify the supplier of the number of people and are expected to pay for that number.

So, try explaining that to her if it applies. Maybe your next cruise could be Carnival, just as ours is. Good luck.

If I were you I would go on LOS. She already has her mind made up and that will mess with your good time. Carnival isn't for everyone, and it looks like it isn't for her. Hope you have a good cruise.

I had the opposite experience on the Fascination. I was on HMC and missed are excursion by 7 mins. They said I could not catch up to the excursion. I was really upset with myself. So off I was going with my tail between my legs out $240.00 for the missed excursion. I guess the dude from Carnival over heard me and asked for my excursion tickets. He said he would have the $240.00 credit back to my S&S card when he got back on board around 5:30pm. I was certainly surprised I got my $240.00 back without even asking. I never even thought to ask about a refund, it was my fualt we missed it. He didn't pressure us about getting another excursion or anything. He even bought a drink for my daughters who were very upset that they missed the horseback riding excursion on HMC. Like any business, you can get good employees or bad employees. Tell her to give it one more try and instead of three strikes and you are out, you will let here call it out on two strikes( assuming she has another bad Carnival cruise):D.

I think most people have been right for the most part. Go on the cruise she wants to go on THIS year. But start watching the reviews for the Carnival Dream for next year. It's going into commision this September and will still be very new and still very awesome. The itinerary is great but it leaves on Christmas Day (don't know how you feel about that). Plus if you book early enough you can get the Early saver price which is pretty good. Also check out Senior Cruise Director John Healds blog (google it) He really makes you feel comfortable about sailing with Carnival. ;) Good Luck!!

Go OVERBOARD for your lady !

A simple " I LUV YOU " Explain to her,

" I attempted to keep this a surprise " .

However you would like to tie the knot , on the Carnival Legend!

So FAR :confused:. Well at least you would win the disagreement as well as a return trip to the Legend for anniversary's :D.

Well he did ask for opinions :rolleyes:.

I'm afraid you're stuck with RCCL. There is no way you'll convince her to see things your way. She has her mind made up and you lose. Guess you'll have to try Carnival another time. Sorry, dude. :p

;);)

First let me say your date is my B-day so it will be great no matter what, ans second Ive alway herd that if something sucks once its a fluke if it sucks twice its a problem I say to her give it another shot.

Just to clarify, Carnival cancelled the excursion due to problems with the vendor, not her. She showed up early for the group leaving the ship, was ready to go and found out that after they got off the ship, the vendor as having issues and that it was cancelled. They tried to get them to do another excursion, but at that point, she decided to just walk around town (I think it was Costa Maya) to do some shopping and find a place for some drinks. The Carnival rep tried to sell them on another excursion but they said know. He kept begging them to take it, but they just wanted to be refunded for the excursion. After about 10 minutes, they just left. When they got back on the ship, they talked with the manager of the excursion counter and he refunded their charges right away.

She comes back tomorrow from her business trip and I'm sure she's going to put her foot down. I'm fine with it. I know that she will give them another try eventually, maybe it might be too soon.

Thanks for the advice everyone. From the reviews, the Legend looks like a great ship and the drive is only about 9 hours or so from where we live. Miami is about 11 and a half.

Just to clarify, Carnival cancelled the excursion due to problems with the vendor, not her. She showed up early for the group leaving the ship, was ready to go and found out that after they got off the ship, the vendor as having issues and that it was cancelled. They tried to get them to do another excursion, but at that point, she decided to just walk around town (I think it was Costa Maya) to do some shopping and find a place for some drinks. The Carnival rep tried to sell them on another excursion but they said know. He kept begging them to take it, but they just wanted to be refunded for the excursion. After about 10 minutes, they just left. When they got back on the ship, they talked with the manager of the excursion counter and he refunded their charges right away.

She comes back tomorrow from her business trip and I'm sure she's going to put her foot down. I'm fine with it. I know that she will give them another try eventually, maybe it might be too soon.

Thanks for the advice everyone. From the reviews, the Legend looks like a great ship and the drive is only about 9 hours or so from where we live. Miami is about 11 and a half.

:D

Some of us men folk were hoping you had a bit of hair on your chest.:rolleyes:

Aww not nice. If u are a married man then u know theres no such thing, and by the way im the most manly of men.;)

HA! To be honest, I'm not one to create waves. I was married once, but it just didn't work out and we both realized it sooner than later and now both are living happy lives 2 years later. There are times to take a stand and times that you just need to let things go. This is one of those times where most people are right, I just need to let it go and make her happy.

Archived