Istanbul two half days DIY

I have learned lots of information from posts here. Thanks everybody for sharing experience and giving advice. We are going to be at Istanbul on 7/31-8/1, ship docks at 1 pm and departs 2 pm next day. Due to the early closing of entrance time for Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia, we are planning to do these on the second day early morning, plus the Cistern and Grand Bazaar. For the first afternoon, we are planning to go to Dolmabahce Palace, then take local ferry to the Asia side such as Uskudar (just want to cross Bosphorus and see the bridge), then take another ferry back to Eminonu side, to visit Blue Mosque (since it opens all the time, plus the night view). Is this doable? and does anyone have information about buses/ferries/docks? Since it is hard to time exactly, we would like to try those ferries which operate frequently like every half hour or so.

Thanks in advance.

I would skip the ferry.......not a big deal unless you have more time than two half days. Spend some time walking......From Sultanahmet where the Blue Mosque is you can walk or take the tram to Eminonu.....go to the Spice Market....then continue across (actually under) the main road and walk across the Galata Bridge........on the left you will see the entrance to the TUNEL which is a one stop "subway" taking you up the hill to the beginning of the main pedestrian street....Istiklal Cadessi.....from there walk towards Taksim Square....you can climb the Galata Tower for great views of the Bosphorus.....along Istiklal there is lots to see, do and eat......Marty

We were just there the same hours as you.... early May. Actually the maiden Mediterranean voyage for Solstice.

This sounds a bit ambitious to me. Even though we docked at 1 pm they didnt begin letting anyone off right away. It wasnt a long wait.....but the doors didnt "open" right at 1:00 We used the tram to head into the old town area and did Hagia Sofia first, then the Blue Mosque (you cannot go in when prayer is in session). We then headed to Topkapi and even though it was "open" until 7 - they said they do not not let anyone else in after 4:30 :eek: so we headed to the Basilica Cistern and really enjoyed that ! We had to be back at the ship by 7-7:15 as we had a bus picking us up at 8 pm (along with 43 other Cruisecritics from our sailing) for reservations at Sultanas Dinner theater. Alot of fun !!!! We didnt get home until around 12:30 am but got up early the next morning and again took the tram into town. We spent quite a while at the Grand Bazaar.....not alot of people there as it was early and it was a very pleasant experience. The shopkeepers did not bother us at all....they were busy mopping the floors, opening up, and having their morning tea ! We then walked back towards the park near the Cistern and had a wonderful lunch before taking the tram back to the ship.

It takes longer to get from point A to B than you think it will...... but there is no doubt that the tram is the fastest way !!!! We heard horror stories from our cruisemates about an hour on the bus or taxi just to get from the ship (port) to the old town area (Sultenhamet stop).... it took us about 7 or 8 minutes on the tram and it was only 70 cents each way :) Clean, easy and safe (be careful like you would anywhere else with your purse etc).

I would definately make your list in the order of importance and do those first and if time runs out..... you will miss the items of least importance. While I am disappointed we didnt see Topkapi (many said the only real good part is the harem and treasury) I did enjoy NOT rushing around like crazy trying to see a little of a lot...... I spent 20 minutes sitting on a bench in front of the Blue Mosque talking with a wonderful young Turkish women. She had been to New York to visit last year and we struck up a conversation and I had a bunch of questions for her...... of which she answered all graciously. She was at the mosque waiting to pray at the next call to prayer. It is those kind of experiences that make travel special.

Thanks for Marty's and Texancruzer's quick replies. Since we have kids (well traveled), we think it would be fascinating to go to two continents in one day due to Istanbul's uniqueness. The Dolmabache Palace is an interesting contrast to Topkapi Palace, so this how we come up this idea to do the ferry circled through three ports. But don't know how logistically feasible to take ferries like this. We will do Topkapi/Sophia/Cistern next morning (start early), we can skip Grand bazaar if needed since we are not big shoppers. Thanks for advice.

Having been in Istanbul for some days this spring, I wouldn't rate the ferry ride from Europe to Asia high on my list of things to do in Istanbul, even with kids. But you know your kids better than we do, so here's some info:

Timetables for all ferries:

http://www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm?page=SubPage&textid=2089&kapsam=178&ln=en

To do the Europe to Asia crossing, the best is probably Eminonu to Kadikoy. The area around Eminonu is good for exploring too -- close to the Spice market (Egyptian bazaar) which is fun for a wander even if you are not shopping.

Not sure Dolmabahce is a great draw for kids either. But then, I tend to like the sights that are more obviously Turkish rather than a Turkish palace imitating Europe.

Having been in Istanbul for some days this spring, I wouldn't rate the ferry ride from Europe to Asia high on my list of things to do in Istanbul, even with kids. But you know your kids better than we do, so here's some info:

Timetables for all ferries:

http://www.ido.com.tr/en/index.cfm?page=SubPage&textid=2089&kapsam=178&ln=en

To do the Europe to Asia crossing, the best is probably Eminonu to Kadikoy. The area around Eminonu is good for exploring too -- close to the Spice market (Egyptian bazaar) which is fun for a wander even if you are not shopping.

Not sure Dolmabahce is a great draw for kids either. But then, I tend to like the sights that are more obviously Turkish rather than a Turkish palace imitating Europe.

Again....I agree about the ferry. The one we took, which most tourists take, goes from Eminonu pier at the base of the Galata Bridge to Anadolu

Kavagi on the Asian side.....lunch stop.....return to Eminonu. Trip is most of the day and passes by the mouth of the Black Sea. The other ferries are mostly commuter ferries going from stops in Europe-Asia-Europe. As for Dolmabache.... you are assigned to a guide and I found they rushed us through + his English was very poor.....I'd skip that as well.........DO go to Sultanahmet in the evening and see the Blue Mosque all aglow. We were there during Ramadan and Seker Bayrami which was a very special treat....Marty

We will have the same itinerary, and based on my research, I believe you may have too much planned for Day 2. Remember, you should be back at the ship by 1:30 pm for departure, and the places you plan on visiting do not open until 9:00 am. Most people seem to recommend about 3 hours for Topkapi, at least 1.5 hrs for Hagia Sophia, and about 1 hour for Basilica Cistern.

Also, although the Blue Mosque is open all the time, friends who have visited Istanbul say that if you're visiting as a non-Muslim, you really should go between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:00 pm (minus prayer times).

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for good info. We thought about doing Topkapi and Aya Sofya in the first half day, but they close earlier and still with lots of crowds in early afternoon, so we need to split these two into two different days, right?

We're doing the same visit on a later cruise (September) and my thoughts are that we'll visit Topkapi on the first afternoon, and Hagia Sophia the following morning. Those two will be the focus of each half day. Then, if there's time (and if we feel up to it) we'll visit other places as well. But those two places are what we really, really want to see and by concentrating on them, we will. Anything else will be a 'nice to visit' bonus.

Remember, it will be hot, and very humid. I might be tempted to get to Topkapi the first afternoon, you should have plenty of time to get there before 4:30. It's got lots of cool places, and gardens, and places to sit. You could probably hit Haghia Sophia first, it doesn't take long. It's tempting to bundle in the Blue Mosque and the Cistern on the same day, somehow. Not sure how late the Cistern is open, but it will be a hit with the kids, and is a wonderful cool treat after the heat of the day. The Blue Mosque is stunning lit up at night, so if you linger into the evening, you could enjoy just strolling around this area.

I can't comment on Dolmanbahce, didn't make it there. A morning in the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market might be the ticket for the second day.

Remember - Topkapi, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque and Cistern are all literally right next to each other........ the Grand Bazaar is right down the street.

Spice Bazaar is further towards Galata Bridge, then Galata Tower.

Makes sense to do sites close together as a group if possible.

If we had not gotten off the wrong stop while using the tram (our first try :D) we would have had plenty of time to do (in this order) Topkapi, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque and Cistern..... and be back to the ship by 7:15 for other evening plans. Then to Grand Bazaar the next morning.....with a nice lunch and back to ship to leave. We ended up walking along the wall that seperates the palace grounds from the water..... then thru the gardens and back around...... wasting about an hour. My fault.

Archived