santorini

lulubell

I was just there June 21st.

Cable car is 4 Eur each way. ( and you can't buy a round trip ticket)

Donkey is 5 eur

I would not recommend walking up.

You can try walking down.......... but the smell is REALLY Bad.

I thought that 16 eur for 2 people was REALLY EXPENSIVE. But I just had to bite the bullet and pay it.

We took a nice island tour and went everywhere. That was great.

We were in Santorin May 22. Temperature was in the mid to high 70's. Maybe 80 by the time we left.

We walked up the hill in the morning. Not that bad as the path is still in the shade and gradual. The donkeys on their way down can be a bit much but not that bad if you stay single file and do not go for the inside corners.

We walked to Oia. It took around 3 hours. It was definitely a hike and had some steep grades but doable. We are in our early 50s and do a little nordic trac a few times a week but are not otherwise exercise fiends. Bring water - or buy some at the few stops along the way.

The only hassle was getting a space on the bus back to Fira. Get in line early or try to find a cab. It was insane.

We also walked down. It was easier than finding the end of the line for the cable car. Again, we did not think it was that bad but we can cope with donkey smell which was definitely stronger than it was in the morning. And the donkey poop was avoidable.

Loved Santorini. Will go back if we ever get a chanfe to cruise in Europe again.

We were in Santorin May 22. Temperature was in the mid to high 70's. Maybe 80 by the time we left.

We walked up the hill in the morning. Not that bad as the path is still in the shade and gradual. The donkeys on their way down can be a bit much but not that bad if you stay single file and do not go for the inside corners.

We walked to Oia. It took around 3 hours. It was definitely a hike and had some steep grades but doable. We are in our early 50s and do a little nordic trac a few times a week but are not otherwise exercise fiends. Bring water - or buy some at the few stops along the way.

The only hassle was getting a space on the bus back to Fira. Get in line early or try to find a cab. It was insane.

We also walked down. It was easier than finding the end of the line for the cable car. Again, we did not think it was that bad but we can cope with donkey smell which was definitely stronger than it was in the morning. And the donkey poop was avoidable.

Loved Santorini. Will go back if we ever get a chanfe to cruise in Europe again.

What time did you come back from Oia that it was so crowded? did you have lunch first? Also, were there other ships in port? We plan to do the walk in 2 weeks.....looking forward to it. Thanks!

Yes, there were several ships in port - 4-6, including two large ones -ours, Solstice and a big Princess, which both left at around 6 so that did not help on timing.

We left Oia right after we ate lunch. The busses may run more frequently in the summer. In May, it looked like there were only 3 scheduled trips to get us back to Fira in time. So we waited in line and were stunned how many people decided to rush the bus when the doors opened. Be prepared and hold your ground. We had considered going to Oia first thing in the morning and then hiking back to avoid this but we wanted to avoid the worst heat.

Be sure to put sunscreen on the BACKS of your legs.

The hike to Oia was one of the highlights of our trip. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

What time did you come back from Oia that it was so crowded? did you have lunch first? Also, were there other ships in port? We plan to do the walk in 2 weeks.....looking forward to it. Thanks!

Of course, the temperature in mid-July will be substantially higher than the temperature in mid-May and there is no shade on your hike. Bring lots of water; the two guys from our ship who did the three-hour walk (early June) are experienced hikers, but even they ran out of water.

Santorini is wonderful, and we were fortunate that on our recent visit, the big cruise ship due that day did not arrive until after 2 PM, so we were able to take the cable car coming and going with no lines.

You can check all the scheduled cruiseship arrival and departure times for your July visit to Santorini on the website santorini.info/cruiseboats. At the beginning of each month, the schedule is posted for the entire month. That will give you a very good idea of how bad the cable car lines will be on your day in Santorini.

Enjoy your day!

We were in Santorini just a few days ago. We got off the ship as soon as we could at around 8 am, and went up the hill with the cable car. We then walked to the bus stop to get to Oia. The bus is scheduled to come every 30 minutes. You don't need exact change as the ticket person will give change. We spent about 2.5~3 hour walking up and down the steps in Oia checking out charming stores and enjoying the view. We then headed back to Fira via bus.

We then took another bus from Fira to Kamari Beach where the Ancient Thira is. We got off the bus and took a tour van which is right next to the bus stop for 10 euro/pp/round-trip to get up the hill to see the site. We were very glad that we did that given the little time we had. The hill is very high and the road is narrow and steep; had we not taken the van, it would have taken much too long to climb. Once we got off the van, we still had to hike another 30~40 minutes to the site. After visiting the site, taking the van down, we walked along the street and had super delicious and inexpensive gyros on the corner of the street where the locals go to. We then went to the famous Kamari "black beach" and the sand is really dark like black. The water was wonderful. Afterwards, we took the bus back to Fira. Oh, if you can remember, stop by "Johnny's Bakery" across from the bus stop and try its Baklava. It's the best in the world!! A huge piece (like a big piece of cake) for $1.4 euro. We then wandered around Fira before we headed back to the ship via cable car again.

Because we started early, and got to Oia before most people arrived, we had the town pretty much to ourselves for a long time, and we were able to get on the bus easily both ways. I would recommend do what we did - go to Oia early, and do the shopping in Fira last.

We were in Santorini just a few days ago. We got off the ship as soon as we could at around 8 am, and went up the hill with the cable car. We then walked to the bus stop to get to Oia. The bus is scheduled to come every 30 minutes. You don't need exact change as the ticket person will give change. We spent about 2.5~3 hour walking up and down the steps in Oia checking out charming stores and enjoying the view. We then headed back to Fira via bus.

We then took another bus from Fira to Kamari Beach where the Ancient Thira is. We got off the bus and took a tour van which is right next to the bus stop for 10 euro/pp/round-trip to get up the hill to see the site. We were very glad that we did that given the little time we had. The hill is very high and the road is narrow and steep; had we not taken the van, it would have taken much too long to climb. Once we got off the van, we still had to hike another 30~40 minutes to the site. After visiting the site, taking the van down, we walked along the street and had super delicious and inexpensive gyros on the corner of the street where the locals go to. We then went to the famous Kamari "black beach" and the sand is really dark like black. The water was wonderful. Afterwards, we took the bus back to Fira. Oh, if you can remember, stop by "Johnny's Bakery" across from the bus stop and try its Baklava. It's the best in the world!! A huge piece (like a big piece of cake) for $1.4 euro. We then wandered around Fira before we headed back to the ship via cable car again.

Because we started early, and got to Oia before most people arrived, we had the town pretty much to ourselves for a long time, and we were able to get on the bus easily both ways. I would recommend do what we did - go to Oia early, and do the shopping in Fira last.

Thanks for the wonderful advice!! i think that is what we will do. Is it easy to find where the bus stop is? I suppose if we ask someone will tell us. Is there a good time to get the cable car down to avoid the queues?

When you get to the top of the caldera and off the cable car, walk towards the main street and then turn right. The bus station will be on your left hand side, but several blocks down the road. Just start asking people and they will point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

I was just there June 21st.

Cable car is 4 Eur each way. ( and you can't buy a round trip ticket)

Donkey is 5 eur

I would not recommend walking up.

You can try walking down.......... but the smell is REALLY Bad.

I thought that 16 eur for 2 people was REALLY EXPENSIVE. But I just had to bite the bullet and pay it.

We took a nice island tour and went everywhere. That was great.

CGinMTL, did you take a tour on your own or with a company. If with a company please give me their information. We will be there in November 09 and plan to rent a car if we can not get a private tour company. Thanks for any assistance.

Hi Terry,

We rented from Tony's in '05 and had a great day exploring Santorini. He advised that we didn't need an IDL, but I know that other rental companies did at that time. This year we rented on the island of Chios and needed one ... so probably best to have an IDL in case you are stopped by the police.

Does anyone know.....where you would pick up a car rental from say Tony's? Would you have to pay for the cable car first then go to the car rental agencies available..or are there car rental places at the dock, and then you can drive up???? Also, does anyone know if vehicles are available to seat 6 (automatic or stick?)

Thanks everyone for the car rental tip! Luckily I can drive a stick...what side of the road do they drive on? I always seem to drive through the trees when I'm driving on the left side of the road LOL!

Thanks everyone for the car rental tip! Luckily I can drive a stick...what side of the road do they drive on? I always seem to drive through the trees when I'm driving on the left side of the road LOL!

You drive on the right side of the road, like in the States.

Does anyone know.....where you would pick up a car rental from say Tony's? Would you have to pay for the cable car first then go to the car rental agencies available..or are there car rental places at the dock, and then you can drive up???? Also, does anyone know if vehicles are available to seat 6 (automatic or stick?)

If your ship first tenders people into Athinos port, where the ship's bus tours pick up their passengers (and the only port where you possibly could pick up a car), and is willing to drop you off there (our ship definitely would only let people with ship's tours off there), then you can have a car rental agency meet you there with a car.

For example, Europecar (from whom we rented last September in Fira) told us they would deliver a car there for us last month (they have closed their downtown Fira location and only are at the airport), but we were not permitted to tender there. So we rented from Tony's and rode the cable car. (No lines on June 8; the big ship did not arrive until 2 PM!)

If you are tendering straight into the port below Fira, you have to either take the cable car, the donkeys, or the donkey path by foot, up the big hill.

If renting from Tony's, his location is about 150 yards from the cable car terminus. He will forward you a map so you can find him.

I need an automatic, so if you do, be sure to reserve in advance. Tony turned several people away at 10 AM when we picked up our car in June.

Good luck!

We rented an ATV in Santorini at the place next to Hertz. (It may have been Tony's - I don't remember now! This was 2 years ago.) It was quite easy and no Int'l Driver's License was asked for. We had originally reserved a car at Hertz but when my husband saw scooters and ATVs he wanted to ride one. I can't exactly recommend the ATV - I didn't feel it would have tipped over, but it was not the most comfortable thing in the world. For a little more, you can rent a car - maybe not as much fun, but certainly easier on your body!! Anyway, I DO recommend renting a car. We drove around the island a bit, and spent some time in Oia.

So Am I to understand that we would have to pay for the cable car (in both directions) for a family of 6...as well as the rental of the car for the day, unless we pre-book? There is nothing near the tender drop off? Or could lets say just my DH take the cable car and then return to the tender area to pick all of us up?

there is no way for a car to get to the tender drop off. there are only 2 ways to the top of the caledera... the donkeys, or the cable car. oh well, 3, i guess. you could walk uphill too. but there is no pathway for a car to come down.

however, if you somehow get off where the cruise ship shore excursions passengers get off and meet their coaches, then there is a path there for a car. but as others have said, the cruise ship may not allow you to get off there without tickets on a cruise ship shore excursion booked.

So Am I to understand that we would have to pay for the cable car (in both directions) for a family of 6...as well as the rental of the car for the day, unless we pre-book? There is nothing near the tender drop off? Or could lets say just my DH take the cable car and then return to the tender area to pick all of us up?

Cruise passengers who are not going on cruise ship excursions are tendered to the port at Fira, where there are no roads down to the port (just cable car and stairs).

Those on ships' excursions are tendered to Athinios (about 5 miles south of Fira). This is the port where there is a road down to it.

You would need to find out if your ship will allow you to go to Athinios if you aren't on a ship excursion, and then make arrangements to have a van available for you there. Just a guess, but I think the reason most cruise lines won't drop you off at Athinios is 1) the need to have regular tender shuttles throughout the day between the ship and two ports, and 2) the confusion that passengers would be faced with if left in Athinios without knowing how to get around.

I am thinking of taking a taxi from Fira to Oia (from several posts on CC, I read the taxi fare from Fira to Oia is only about 10 euros), because I read there usually is a long unorganized line to get on the bus.

My questions are:

1) If I want to be drop off at the town center (or major road) of Oia, where do I tell the taxi driver to drop me off?

2) Where is a good place to find a taxi to take me to Oia (by the cable car station?)?

3) Is it easy to find a taxi in Oia to take me back to Fira?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.:)

we walked along the cliffs....we had taxis slow down to see if we wanted a ride several times when we were on the main road...if you want to go right away I would walk through Fira to the main road near the back of the town...lots of cabs there...if not...I would walk a bit and then take a cab when one comes along

we walked along the cliffs....we had taxis slow down to see if we wanted a ride several times when we were on the main road...if you want to go right away I would walk through Fira to the main road near the back of the town...lots of cabs there...if not...I would walk a bit and then take a cab when one comes along

Take the bus for less than $2 US, a taxi can be approx $15 ea way and up

Yes you MUST take the Cable Car up and down to get to the top, or ride the donkeys. It is very easy. When you get to the top go to the left apaprox. 2 streets and go to March Street. That is the first street that allows cars. There are several car companies there. Or take the bus which is very economical. Et on the internet and go to Santorini and search the bus routes etc. Have a great time it is my favorite island and can't wait until Sept, we are cruising there again.

lots to see in Fira...great views..people go to Oia to avoid the crowds...why spend your time getting a car when you can go for a nice stroll and enjoy yourselves.

I have never been in Fira and Oia. Are you saying that I should not bother to go to Oia, and just spend the day in Fira?

I don't see anyone replying to my question in regards to where I should tell the taxi driver to drop me off at Oia; I guess probably not many CC members have gone there.

Archived