Cruise ship held

danp

Just seen on our local news that a cruise ship was held in port ,in New York.Has anyone else seen this?They said it failed inspection.

A U.S. Coast Guard team discovered the damage , plus 16 other minor deficiencies , on the cruise ship Oceanic on Thursday. It found that about a gallon of water per hour was leaking into the vessel.

Chief Petty Officer Russ Tippets said Friday that's "a very small amount."

The Coast Guard determined the damage occurred after the ship left Reykjavik (RAY-kyah-veek), Iceland, on June 19 but before it arrived at its port of call in New York.

Tippets says it's expected the hole can be repaired before noon Saturday.

jj.....

A U.S. Coast Guard team discovered the damage , plus 16 other minor deficiencies , on the cruise ship Oceanic on Thursday. It found that about a gallon of water per hour was leaking into the vessel.

Chief Petty Officer Russ Tippets said Friday that's "a very small amount."

The Coast Guard determined the damage occurred after the ship left Reykjavik (RAY-kyah-veek), Iceland, on June 19 but before it arrived at its port of call in New York.

Tippets says it's expected the hole can be repaired before noon Saturday.

jj.....

I think a couple sticks of bubble gum could take care of that small a leak.

:) I sailed on the Oceanic in 1975, from New York, 10 day Caribbean. I believe it was Home Lines then? My first cruise. I was going to post a question to see if anybody knew the history of this ship.

My memories are faded, but I seem to recall very small cabins?

Ken

:) I sailed on the Oceanic in 1975, from New York, 10 day Caribbean. I believe it was Home Lines then? My first cruise. I was going to post a question to see if anybody knew the history of this ship.

Ken

One and the same.... It is a 45+ year young ship.

Ken

I also sailed on it when it was owned by the Home Lines. At that time the ship was unbelievable. Now compared to the ships we have today, it's very small and the cabins are like closets.

The older ships going to no name lines probably get far less maint...hence the leak and other issues. Keeping up the ship takes work but keeps it safe for ongoing travel...that is key for cruise lined.

Sad to see a ship allowed to lapse into ill repair.

Some of the no name lines take very good care of these old gals. Imperial Majesty did a very good job takeing care of the Regal Empress. It is sad when your favorite ship leaves the cruise line you love but most of the time she is going to another cruise line who needs her.

As many pointed out the Oceanic is an older ship that is not owned by a prominent cruise line any longer. As posters pointed out she is part of the Peacboat operation. To be honest I am not up on what the Peaceboat organization is but their former ship was the old Carnivale of Carnival Cruise Lines (ex. Queen Anna Maria of the Greek Line) that ship was over 50 years old when the Peacboat Line retired it. So, they tend to go for old tonnage.

The Oceanic however was a very special ship in her day. She made her debut in 1963 for the Home Lines and was envisioned a two class transatlantic liner but home lines went away with that idea beacuse of the increase in air travel. So long story short she made many, many cruises from NYC to Bahamas, Bermuda and Caribbean in her days and was a very popular ship. She was considered cutting edge because of her "magradome" which was a retractable glass roof that went over her midship pools. Something we see on many ships today. She also boasted some balcony suites which was rare in those days and she had more of a resort layout by the pools as we see today.

In 1985 she was sold to Premier Cruise Lines, painted in red, and became the Star Ship Oceanic and sailed from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and together with her sistership the Royale they paved the way to Disney Cruise Line as these two ships were the first to have Disney Characters onboard. Disney used these ships as their first entry into the cruise biz. This was NOT Disney Cruise Line instead Disney had a contract with Premier Cruise Lines which eventually ended and Warner Brothers characters were featured on the Oceanic and her sister ship. It was at this time she became known as the "Big Red Boat" even though her name remained Oceanic.

Premier went belly up in 2001 and I beleive she then went to Pullmantur until she was sold of in 08 or 09 to Peaceboat.

She is a special ship to me as I took my 1st cruise on her in 1987 at the age of 6! She turned me on to cruising.

As many pointed out the Oceanic is an older ship that is not owned by a prominent cruise line any longer. As posters pointed out she is part of the Peacboat operation. To be honest I am not up on what the Peaceboat organization is but their former ship was the old Carnivale of Carnival Cruise Lines (ex. Queen Anna Maria of the Greek Line) that ship was over 50 years old when the Peacboat Line retired it. So, they tend to go for old tonnage.

The Oceanic however was a very special ship in her day. She made her debut in 1963 for the Home Lines and was envisioned a two class transatlantic liner but home lines went away with that idea beacuse of the increase in air travel. So long story short she made many, many cruises from NYC to Bahamas, Bermuda and Caribbean in her days and was a very popular ship. She was considered cutting edge because of her "magradome" which was a retractable glass roof that went over her midship pools. Something we see on many ships today. She also boasted some balcony suites which was rare in those days and she had more of a resort layout by the pools as we see today.

In 1985 she was sold to Premier Cruise Lines, painted in red, and became the Star Ship Oceanic and sailed from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and together with her sistership the Royale they paved the way to Disney Cruise Line as these two ships were the first to have Disney Characters onboard. Disney used these ships as their first entry into the cruise biz. This was NOT Disney Cruise Line instead Disney had a contract with Premier Cruise Lines which eventually ended and Warner Brothers characters were featured on the Oceanic and her sister ship. It was at this time she became known as the "Big Red Boat" even though her name remained Oceanic.

Premier went belly up in 2001 and I beleive she then went to Pullmantur until she was sold of in 08 or 09 to Peaceboat.

She is a special ship to me as I took my 1st cruise on her in 1987 at the age of 6! She turned me on to cruising.

Thanks for the cruise down memory lane! I also sailed on her, it was my second cruise and compared to the first ship she was a beauty!! Didn't think anything could ever top her. Followed her travels when she became the Big Red Boat but then lost track of her. Thanks for the history.

So odd to see this. There is a huge thread about the Oceanic (Home Lines) in the "What Ever Happened To" section.

I was on her several times in the early 80s and once had an accident when leaving the Port of NY. We hit a tanker (or they hit us) in the hull of the ship and we were left in NY harbor until we were cleared to sail. We missed Bermuda due to the delay and went straight to the Bahamas.

I wonder if that is a old wound that has not healed properly.

We used to board her on Saturday for $1 and had to debark before she set sail. This was before Achille Lauro (sp?). Then we couldn't board her anymore. We also had huge Bon Voyage parties with guests back then.

I loved the Oceanic! So many wonderful memories.

My first sailing was on the Oceanic when it was owned by Home Lines. We were to sail from NY to Bermuda and the Bahamas. The tender people in Bermuda were on strike so we ended up going to the Bahamas and staying overnight.

We were so disappointed in not going to Bermuda, that as soon as we got off the Oceanic, we contacted our travel agent and her book us on the Doric as she only went to Bermuda.

The next year Home Lines started sailing the Atlantic. We went on the second sailing of the Atlantic to Bermuda. After that we sailed many times on Atlantic to Bermuda.

We were so disappointed when Home Lines went out of business. I believe the Atlantic also went to the Big Red Boat company as the Starship Atlantic.

Those were the good old days of cruising. I miss a lot of the things of those days, but I sure like the size of the cabins and balconies far more today.

Those were definitely the great days of cruising. Like many others, my first cruise was in 1968 on the Oceanic to Nassau Bahamas. I had just graduated from nursing school and my girlfriend and I decided to splurge and take a cruise! We had the smallest cabin with bunk beds. The ship was fabulous. We had a great time in Naussau, renting a scooter. I am amazed we lived! After that time I cruised 3 more times after getting married in the mid seventies. So many great things about the ship. Great bargains from Italy. Everyone waited in line for the gift shop to open and sell these beautiful jewelry boxes. I still have it today, somewhere.

Loved the Donzelli's who entertained so beautifully and loved the all Italian crew who went out of their way to make the ladies all feel special. I found this link on the Oceanic site here on CC. Pretty funny now! The Oceanic song!

Archived