Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

Hi Claudia,

I will try my best to pick out the best of 568 photos I took.(had a new camera and got a little snap happy!)

I bet you can't wait and you will be so impressed with the Spa.

I will post more later but thanks for your reply.

We put down the £500 deposit whilst on board for an open booking so it will not be long before we are on again hopefully.

We were in suite 812 which was a lovely position being close to pool area, patio grill, Colanade and Rest 2 ( and one floor away from spa!) But I have to say anywhere on board is a lovely position to be in!

Bye for now.:)

My wife and I ( with two U.S friends ) have just returned from 21 days on the Odessey. We are experienced cruisers on Silversea & QG Cunard and approached this trip with great expectations having heard so much about the Seabourn service ( we had not previously been with Seabourn due to the smallness of the ships and my wife not being the best in heavy seas ).

The ship is fantastic, rides the seas well and has the ability to be a world leader - however at present I do not believe she displays what we had been led to believe of the Seabourn brand and there is much 'tweaking ' to be done.

The main areas of concern for us were as follows:

1. Why is it necessary to have constant ( from 8.30am onwards ) piped music on The PoolDeck ? Our observations indicated that guests were either talking, sleeping, reading or listening to their own music on their I pods. When seeking some reasoning from the Hotel Director,he merely indicated that it was a policy decision from Miami to attract a younger guest - often on this Port intensive itinerary there were no more than 25 people around the Pool but the music continued - a regular 'Sister' cruiser said that this was one aspect that would detract her from boarding Odessey again.

2. For a ship that is less than 3 months old,there are areas that are in a very poor shape - there was significant staining in three areas in the hallway to the deck 6 Suites - the Claret coloured carpet on the main Spiral stairway looked constantly unswept - 70% of the Cupboard doors in our Suite did not work and had to be repaired on our second week. The worst aspect was the omission of Soot which covered many deck areas,especially those at the rear,rendering them almost unuseable. There was much evidence of rust breaking through paintwork and the Swimming Pool steps had non-slip inserts which had become unattached and were waving about in the water. We brought these matters to the attention of the Staff who merely advised that the Officers were aware !!!!

3. Your reponse Dan from Seabourn regarding new Staff is completely untrue - we met a number of Staff who joined the ship having never been at sea before and were not in a shadowing role - one was serving drinks in The Club on his first night at sea. Generally we felt that staffing levels were being tested.

4.We would agree with earlier comments regarding the Main Dining Room - it is large, modern but lacking in any atmosphere - also noisy in the central section. The Booking system for the alternative Restaurants remains irksome, especially if one is ashore at 6.30pm.

Having read the above I would not wish anyone to think we did not have a good time - it was excellent and there are many aspects of the ship which worked so well. The Suites are lovely ( I would agree with previous comments that deck 6 is wonderful ), The Seabourn Court is a triumph and generally the Staff must be the main strength as they all work so hard to give everyone a good time - I have never seen Bar staff move so quickly from The Club to perform Wine duties in The Dining Room and retain such cheerfulness. Deck service was also superb.

In conclusion I hope that Seabourn now pay attention to the comments sheets - with two more ships on the horizon and plenty of competition from the likes of Silversea and Regent, they must not rest on their laurels and believe every past Seabourn guest will accept falling standards. We will most certainly return ( but if constant music is to be the norm we may think again ? ).

I know that comments are personal and very subjective but I hope this may help others.

Many thanks Mayflower for your constructive comments.

I'm sure the maintenance issues will be addressed in the normal SB manner.

The piped music on the pool deck is more alarming. On our Pride cruise in June we found the peace and quiet of the pool deck most beguiling. Just to lie there in the sun with cocktails, suntan lotion etc being offered was most restfull.

Since when has Miami overuled SB's good sense?

First time I heard that expression: Piped music! Learnt something today... Already had an idea from the context of course, but I never heard it being used. Anyway: I love piped music, makes me happy - well, assuming it is easy listening music.

Sky bar on the triplets is providing it as well. Sometimes classical music and sometimes pop music.

But I do understand some people don't like it.

Marja

Even though we had an amazing time I do agree with Mayflower that there were some areas that already needed a little attention. The staining on the carpets was quite a surprise to us too. Such a shame for a new ship and can't help wonder how this came about.

The main problem we encountered was a burn mark...yes a very large burn mark on our balcony decking. We are non smokers but have no problem with others that do smoke. The problem Seabourn now have is as there are few places to smoke whilst on board, people now use their balconies for their main smoking place. Nothing wrong with that BUT it is spoilt by the few who did not take extra care when discarding. We discovered 2 large burn marks on two separate occasions on our balcony complete with cigarette and ash. The health and safety issue was a litlle worrying as unsure how they got there and what if our table cloth was still on the table from breakfast?

The Crew was very quick to fix the burn by sanding down etc but they were not impressed and concluded it could have blown out of someones mouth on another deck or just thrown overboard.

Whatever the explanation it really is going to be a problem we feel and such a shame as the lovely wooden decking was quite spoilt.

Otherwise an amazing cruise and sorry we did not get to meet Mayflower. Next time maybe?

Hello Roxburgh......sorry you are right many men love the massages and the spa has some lovely ones!

Try the Thai Herbal Poultice Massage if you get chance it is amazing.

Kind regards Iceandaslice:)

Excellent tip. Might try that when we are Odyssey in November. Thanks.

I just spoke with my TA who received a report back from clients who just dis-embarked Odyssey for 35 days. Although they enjoyed their voyage, they said that the ship was seriously understaffed, and that many of the staff had never been on a ship before. (Full service- not shadowing) Also, many of that same staff will be re-assigned to Sojourn when it sails, leaving Odyssey with more training issues.

Host Dan

ON the maiden voyage the complaint was that they were overstaffed. So many of my favorite crew members were aboard. Did they immediately transfer everyone back to the triplets afterwards? I'm wondering what they'll do for the world cruise. I can't imagine they'll understaff that one or all those people who are paying big bucks will surely complain.

I just spoke with my TA who received a report back from clients who just dis-embarked Odyssey for 35 days. Although they enjoyed their voyage, they said that the ship was seriously understaffed, and that many of the staff had never been on a ship before. (Full service- not shadowing) Also, many of that same staff will be re-assigned to Sojourn when it sails, leaving Odyssey with more training issues.

Host Dan

We are on board still, just arrived in Dubrovnik. Dinner at the patio grill tonight, last evening dining venue for us to try. We haven't had any problems with service, I really can't fault a thing, staff are alway chipper and ready with a smile, and of course is ever a problem for them. Haven't had a problem with the reservation system, just ring guest services about 6.30 and all sorted, but so far the dining room has been the stand out venue. R2 food and setting was amazing, but for a venue that purports to be fine dining, it was the least attentive when it cam to service levels, wine glass was empty on 2 occasions, outrageous! (joking) but when the other venues were so good we thought that R2 could have kept to the same standard, but certainly not enough to complain about. Yesterday we were in Kotor with the Spirit and saw crew and guests coming over for a lookey, all looking wide eyed at the beautiful Odyssey.Tempura theme in the Colonade for lunch, sounds good, then a tender ashore to have a mooch around, not making you envious am I?

We are on board still, just arrived in Dubrovnik. Dinner at the patio grill tonight, last evening dining venue for us to try. We haven't had any problems with service, I really can't fault a thing, staff are alway chipper and ready with a smile, and of course is ever a problem for them. Haven't had a problem with the reservation system, just ring guest services about 6.30 and all sorted, but so far the dining room has been the stand out venue. R2 food and setting was amazing, but for a venue that purports to be fine dining, it was the least attentive when it cam to service levels, wine glass was empty on 2 occasions, outrageous! (joking) but when the other venues were so good we thought that R2 could have kept to the same standard, but certainly not enough to complain about. Yesterday we were in Kotor with the Spirit and saw crew and guests coming over for a lookey, all looking wide eyed at the beautiful Odyssey.Tempura theme in the Colonade for lunch, sounds good, then a tender ashore to have a mooch around, not making you envious am I?

Thank you for posting current information. Very envious- YES!

Host Dan

ON the maiden voyage the complaint was that they were overstaffed. So many of my favorite crew members were aboard. Did they immediately transfer everyone back to the triplets afterwards? I'm wondering what they'll do for the world cruise. I can't imagine they'll understaff that one or all those people who are paying big bucks will surely complain.

Henry, I am sure that the maiden voyage may have been overstaffed, for reasons, we can all appreciate. The Odyssey has had far more new Seabourn cruisers than the sisters normally have, and it appears, that the problems noticed since the maiden voyage have been made mainly by more experienced Seabourn cruisers than the many that have been enticed aboard recently. I am sure not all of your favourite crew members are still on the ship. I worry for my 2010 booking and await news of your future ventures.

No I like the Spirit :p

David,

Obviously, this is a transitionary period for Seabourn. Between the debut of the Odyssey, the building of the Sojourn, the renovations on the triplets things are in a state of flux. Still they cannot afford to let the hallmark of their attraction, service, slip. I only hope things will be back to normal on the Odyssey for the world cruise. It sounds from bradtarga34's post as if they are not falling too far. I'm sure we'll all be fine. Maybe it will take an extra martini or two!!!

Jane,

I can't answer your question but I would be very interested in your suggestion of this thread. I am very excited about the Odyssey and would like to cruise on her. So new, so enticing! It would be great to just have a thread with input from the passengers now experiencing this new ship.

I hope you can get the thread rolling and not necessarily subject to a roll call list.

My husband and I are booked on 3 legs of the world cruise (Sydney to Athens) We are so looking forward to this for well over a year--new to blogging on cruise critic and inexperienced. Anyone else on this cruise???

Dear Host Dan

We also had the pleasure of meeting Captain Mark Dexter and he is a really lovely English gentleman.

His past history is Captain of Stena Sealink, Heb. Princess and then more recently the Seabourn Pride. He told us that he will officially take over the Odyssey early next year when the current holding Captain joins the new ship Sojourn. We did not meet the holding Captain as he was away on holiday? but very nice too the crew say!

Hope this helps and my Husband had the chance to see the Bridge with Captain Mark Dexter which was fascinating.

kind regards Iceandaslice

I was just looking at the Seabourn site and noticed, compared to yesterday, that most of the salings for the next few weeks are now just about all waitlist only. There was for example plenty of space on the maiden Trans Atantic, but not any more. Looks like it's sold out. I wonder if perhaps it was to the feedback that the new ship was now "under staffed"? This way it would limit the number of passengers to crew perhaps?

I was just looking at the Seabourn site and noticed, compared to yesterday, that most of the salings for the next few weeks are now just about all waitlist only. There was for example plenty of space on the maiden Trans Atantic, but not any more. Looks like it's sold out. I wonder if perhaps it was to the feedback that the new ship was now "under staffed"? This way it would limit the number of passengers to crew perhaps?

It couldn't possibly be that they ARE all sold out:D

We did the bridge tour yesterday and the White board there showed how many passengers were onboard which was 436, so gven that there could ne some single occupancy I would say she is pretty well chockers. You wouldn't know it though, so much space and easy to find a quiet spot, and service just superb. Off to the patio grill shortly for lunch, probably my favourite lunch place, mind you galley market yesterday blew me away.

Archived