Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

I don't think the drycleaning machine on the Odyssey has ever worked if in fact they have one. I sent something on the Monday morning after we had boarded on the Saturday at the start of the Maiden Cruise and was informed that dry cleaning facilities were not available on board.

I don't think the drycleaning machine on the Odyssey has ever worked if in fact they have one. I sent something on the Monday morning after we had boarded on the Saturday at the start of the Maiden Cruise and was informed that dry cleaning facilities were not available on board.

So I understand,a lot of things were not working properly on the maiden voyage.

Many things still to be done and improved upon.

Some musings after 7 days:

I had no trouble booking in the restaurant of my choice. I ate at the Patio Grill 2x, with one of the reservations made the day of. Restaurant 2 booking was not a problem. The food there was exceptional.

The restaurant is noisy and the staff seems to get into a serving frenzy due to distances to the kitchen. It is hardly a relaxing dining experience. The dining room is truly beautiful. My meals varied in quality from outstanding to poor. I had fish that was perfectly prepared and worthy of 3 stars and Prime Rib that was tasteless, tough, paper thin...that would have been served at Denny's....so go figure. Most of the time the food was excellent.

Colonade was very nice for dinner for the specialty nights. Breakfast and lunch was OK...I suggest that an item from the menu be ordered as opposed to the buffet for lunch.

And...if you have breakfast in the Colonade...be sure to get your coffee from Seabourn Square...the cappucino's and espresso's are good from that machine only.

This is my first Seabourn cruise. The service was wonderful. I did not however ever have the feeling that they could ever know my name or what my preferences were for a 7 day cruise. Logistically, it is impossible in my opinion. There are too many people on board and so many crew. I am sure that we came in contact with only a small percentage of the servers, and many of them we only saw once during the 7 days. To expect that they could learn your names and preferences would definetly bring disappointment.

Dry Cleaning was not available.

I overheard ....someone of importance with Seabourn....speaking to staff about the noise on Deck 7...and making a rather strong comment about how bad it seems to be.....

I did feel that most of the crew really cared about not just doing their job....but to also do their job to my satisfaction. This made the experience a little better than Regent and Silversea for me.

I had a great cruise!

Hi All,

We are planning on staying on deck 7 on our cruise in December and wanted to check/confirm with those of you in the know. Are Suites 740 and 742 the only rooms with the noise problem on deck 7, or are there other suites on deck 7 with noise issues too? If, so do you know which suites?

Thanks for the help and insight!!

Hi All,

We are planning on staying on deck 7 on our cruise in December and wanted to check/confirm with those of you in the know. Are Suites 740 and 742 the only rooms with the noise problem on deck 7, or are there other suites on deck 7 with noise issues too? If, so do you know which suites?

Thanks for the help and insight!!

Suites 700 to 732 on the port side are ok and 701 to 731 on the starboard are ok

On any ship you will hear some noise if you book a suite/cabin below a recreation deck.The noise on Odyssey does seem to be worse on the port side on deck 7 because of the position of the patio Grill.you can hear every footstep,chair and lounger.We were woken at 06.00 by deck cleaners.A word with the Hotel Manager had us moved to deck 9.

CC does have an article on choosing your position on a ship which does warn about noise from above.I always book a suite which has suites above and below.

Deck 7 is ever so convenient to Seabourn Square. (Just checked; we are in 710 and there is an 810.)

I can't wait to explore, and thankfully, our first day is a sea day. No need to rush off and of course, we have our CC get-together (12/11).

Thanks, John.

Suites 700 to 732 on the port side are ok and 701 to 731 on the starboard are ok

On any ship you will hear some noise if you book a suite/cabin below a recreation deck.The noise on Odyssey does seem to be worse on the port side on deck 7 because of the position of the patio Grill.you can hear every footstep,chair and lounger.We were woken at 06.00 by deck cleaners.A word with the Hotel Manager had us moved to deck 9.

CC does have an article on choosing your position on a ship which does warn about noise from above.I always book a suite which has suites above and below.

So just to be clear, does that mean that on Deck 7 of the Odyssey Rooms 734-748 and rooms 733- 747 are undoubtedly noisy rooms?

If we are in one of those rooms should we try and switch to a different deck? If we have already paid our deposit and confirmed those suites, would Seabourn let us switch to another suite with no charge if there are other Suites available? (especially of the same level same ie V#).

Thanks so much for all of your help!

So just to be clear, does that mean that on Deck 7 of the Odyssey Rooms 734-748 and rooms 733- 747 are undoubtedly noisy rooms?

If we are in one of those rooms should we try and switch to a different deck? If we have already paid our deposit and confirmed those suites, would Seabourn let us switch to another suite with no charge if there are other Suites available? (especially of the same level same ie V#).

Thanks so much for all of your help!

The noise differs,The port side is worse.Each of these suites is below some sort of activity.Even the Wintergarden suite744 has some noise which to me is unacceptable for a great space with a high price tag.You may or may not be able to change if you have a suite in this area.If it were me I would take deck six mid ships every time.

Another noise problem on the Odyssey is between the Grand Salon and the Club.On several occasions we were watching a pianist,magician or solo performer in the Grand Salon and could hear the Duo playing in the Club below.again the noise comes through the floor because there is not enough sound deadening material between floors.The only way to eleviate this will be in the dry dock.

Some musings after 7 days:

The restaurant is noisy and the staff seems to get into a serving frenzy due to distances to the kitchen. It is hardly a relaxing dining experience. The dining room is truly beautiful. My meals varied in quality from outstanding to poor. I had fish that was perfectly prepared and worthy of 3 stars and Prime Rib that was tasteless, tough, paper thin...that would have been served at Denny's....so go figure. Most of the time the food was excellent.

I would appreciate other prior pax to comment about the observation that the main restaurant is "noisy" and staff get into a "serving frenzy". Reading this brought back memories of my cruise on a HAL ship last summer. It was not a relaxing experience and not what I would expect in a lux line like Seabourn. We have never cruised on Seabourn and are booked on a 14 days cruise next summer. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

When I checked yesterday, the 12/10 cruise has 2 suggested formal nights.

Hi Jane--with all the new folks joining Seabourn-- because of the new ship and balcony suites--I wonder how many of the new people will go for the formal attire(tux and such)?-- It will be interesting to see! Don

[quote name='LaPaloma']Hi Jane--with all the new folks joining Seabourn-- because of the new ship and balcony suites--I wonder how many of the new people will go for the formal attire(tux and such)?-- It will be interesting to see! Don[/QUOTE]

Good point. FTB is packing his. I think he enjoys looking dapper.

If he didn't want to, I wouldn't push it. I doubt he'll bother in March, after all, there won't be any formal nights.

Solo Cruiser posted this query for his cousin, but no one has responded, so am cutting and pasting here. I am sure someone has the answer.

>"...my cousin is booked on Odessy from Venice to Athens next month. This is her first cruise on Seabourn. Her question regards the electrical outlets and if they are the current we are used to in the States or if she will need a converter. On some of the more mass market cruise lines, outlets are at a premium and I always bring a surge protector strip so I can plug in my chargers and my blow dryer at the same time. Is this the case with Seabourn? Will there be sufficient outlets in the suite that she will not need a strip?"

Good point. FTB is packing his. I think he enjoys looking dapper.

If he didn't want to, I wouldn't push it. I doubt he'll bother in March, after all, there won't be any formal nights.

I have tried to encourage Don to bring his...I just like dressing for a change! Lola

I would appreciate other prior pax to comment about the observation that the main restaurant is "noisy" and staff get into a "serving frenzy". Reading this brought back memories of my cruise on a HAL ship last summer. It was not a relaxing experience and not what I would expect in a lux line like Seabourn. We have never cruised on Seabourn and are booked on a 14 days cruise next summer. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

The Restauraunt is noisy in the centre because the ceiling is high and the flooring is hard tiled.There are plans to continue the carpet in this section which will help.The rest of the Restaurant has a normal height ceiling and it is much easier to hear others when dining on a large table.The service was fine except for the first of our formal nights which was a little frantic.Remember that this is a new ship for staff and guests alike.Improvements are being made on a daily basis.You will have a wonderful 14 days aboard.The Odyssey is the smoothest sailing ship that I have ever been on.You do not relalise that you have left port some days.

The Restaurant was noisy and hectic on Formal Night....it was not relaxing in any way. The environment is very beautiful, and the service was attentive...even though the servers were out of breath. Carpet would help with the noise in the two story areas, and hopefully the adjacent areas.

I would say that about 50-60% of the men were in Black tie. Not much more than that for sure. Everyone looked really handsome, and the ambience and vibe was definetly "dressy". Despite the few items such as the noise and logistical serving challenges... that Seabourn will get ironed out...it was a very special evening.

I also want to comment on the "smooth sailing"....which is truly extraordinary. It is rare that you have any sense of the movement of the ship via its own power. When you detect that you are cruising it is usually the result of visual observation.

Archived