Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

In response to the question about the food, it is very good. Seabourn folks are being a little critical here. It is a big step from very small ships to ships twice that size.

On every cruise, it is a little different and personalities of individuals meld into a group personality that may influence folks opinions.

Our Odyssey cruise was lovely (Black Sea-2nd sailing of Odyssey with many maiden voyagers still aboard). We met grand folks and our dinners were just fine!! On the 'big' mass market ships, you never have so many choices for dining and having fun! You will love your journey. Don't let us who are just letting 'it all hang out' discourage you.

Having sailed on the maiden voyage I can agree that the food was truly wonderful, better than I had anticipated. We have to remember that even at 2 !/2 months the Odyssey is still a new ship and little things that need to be ironed out will be. I am sure that anyone who sailed on the Pride in 1988 would have found similar nits that were soon addressed.

Hi all,

Was hoping some expereinced with post disemarkation in Venice could provide some tips for disembarking from Odyssey (Oct.3rd) in Venice. No prior expereince with Venice :o so a little dissappointed that we'll only have a few hours there before flying to Barcelona (flight is @ 4:30pm). Question is: Is it possible we delay retrieving our luggage after disembarking , e.g. can Seabourn hold it securelyfor say 3-4 hours, while we tour around Venice until it's time to go to the airport? Neither of us speak or understand Italian so we're a bit leary about depending on ourselves to find our way around. Convenient & efficient use of time for (Venitian 1st timers) of abut 5 hours is our priority. Famous sites and landmarks is what would be of most interest to us in Venice (not so much shopping or food). We've been advised by some friends to do the water taxi type of transport to the airport to maximize our Venitian experience.

In advance, many thanks for your advice. If you think our question is better asked on the European boards, that's fine if you can just let us know.:)

Leah, RN

Hi all,

Was hoping some expereinced with post disemarkation in Venice could provide some tips for disembarking from Odyssey (Oct.3rd) in Venice. No prior expereince with Venice :o so a little dissappointed that we'll only have a few hours there before flying to Barcelona (flight is @ 4:30pm). Question is: Is it possible we delay retrieving our luggage after disembarking , e.g. can Seabourn hold it securelyfor say 3-4 hours, while we tour around Venice until it's time to go to the airport? Neither of us speak or understand Italian so we're a bit leary about depending on ourselves to find our way around. Convenient & efficient use of time for (Venitian 1st timers) of abut 5 hours is our priority. Famous sites and landmarks is what would be of most interest to us in Venice (not so much shopping or food). We've been advised by some friends to do the water taxi type of transport to the airport to maximize our Venitian experience.

In advance, many thanks for your advice. If you think our question is better asked on the European boards, that's fine if you can just let us know.:)

Leah, RN

Leah,

You will get much better info on the European boards, however, this is a great venue to see if Seabourn will hold your luggage for a few hours...

Host Dan

John

Thanks for the information. I've composed a list of CCer's and non CCer's that have booked the Odyssey Crossing, Oct. 31st. I thought I'd post and suggest a deck (Sky Bar area) where we'd meet to celebrate our sailing. I have 59 Sailor's, so far, that will be aboard.:D

Thanks again ~~

Martita B.

John

One more question ~~where do they hold the muster drill on the Odyssey?

I (and others) have been surprised this past year as to the muster's on the Sister's. We've always been accustomed to Bridge Officer's holding the drills ~~Staff Captain is usually in charge. Now heading up drills have been non Officer's. (I chuckled to myself in March thinking, "well, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Spa Girls directing the muster! :confused:"

Has anyone else noticed this?

Martita B.

John

One more question ~~where do they hold the muster drill on the Odyssey?

I (and others) have been surprised this past year as to the muster's on the Sister's. We've always been accustomed to Bridge Officer's holding the drills ~~Staff Captain is usually in charge. Now heading up drills have been non Officer's. (I chuckled to myself in March thinking, "well, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Spa Girls directing the muster! :confused:"

Has anyone else noticed this?

Martita B.

Martha,

Restaurant deck four is the Muster drill.(Dress code casual)

I thought Seabourn could ask past guests to take the drill,that way we could see who has been paying attention.:eek:

We are presently on the Odyssey and just completed our third evening aboard and have been truly delighted with the ship, staff and whole experience. This is our first ever cruise and I'm quite sure we'll sail again on the Odyssey.

If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to find out the answers in the 4 more days we're here on the ship. Here are answers to the questions I have seen on the board recently:

Dry cleaning: I was told the machine is working (though I have not sent out any clothes for cleaning).

Electric sockets: In the room bar there is one (two-pronged UK type). In the hall vanity there are two, 1 UK type, 1 US type. In the bathroom there are two, 1 US type, 1 UK type (but the hair dryer that comes in the room has thicker than normal prongs and will not plug into the bathroom outlet - a safety issue we were told. Had the same issue at the Grande Bretagne pre-cruise). It will, however, accomodate an American hairdryer or shaver.

Storage space/closet: There is ample storage in the closet, bureau and credenza! We packed way too many clothes and everything has it's place. The room (Verandah Suite 522) is lovely, spacious, quiet. You honestly don't know when this ship is moving and when it isn't unless you really go look out a window!

Marina: Someone on the maiden (I believe) said the marina was very crowded and not everyone was accomodated. Our marina day was yesterday (while anchored at Mylos) and it was fabulous. It runs from 1:00-3:30 PM. We arrived right at 1:00 and were able to sign up for everything we wanted to do though you must complete your first activity before signing up for your next. So, we took a fun banana boat ride and came back and signed up for a kayak, which was available immediately. The marina was not crowded and I didn't see anyone waiting around in line to get their turn. We could have done every activity if we had wanted to. They have banana boat and intertube rides, waterskiing, kayaking, sailboarding, small sailboating. It was great fund and we'd highly recommend it

There are a lot of new staff on this cruise - not just new to Seabourn but first time staffers on any cruise. In the first hour on board, we met 4 staff who told us that this was their first cruise. That said, the staff works exceptionally hard to please the guests, anticipating your needs almost before you do! My DH and I do not drink alcohol and have been so charmed by the staff who, upon learning that we don't imbibe, have stocked our room and every bar with nonalcoholic champagne, wine and beer so that we can join in the celebratory mood with our tablemates.

The food has been outstanding, entertainment very good. Other than the first night (before we had realized we needed to make reservations for dinner), we have had no problem calling down at 6:30 to make reservations 48 hours in advance. We've eaten at the Restaurant, Restaurant 2 and Patio grill for dinner. Had room service for breakfast, dessert and coffee - each arrived in what seemed like a split second (5-10 minutes).

Formal night was our second night onboard. About 40% of gentlemen wore tuxes, the rest wore dark suits. Of the tuxes, about 60% were white dinner jackets, the rest wore black. All of the ladies were stunning in their finery, without exception : )

The lecturer is a Harvard professor whose area of specialty appears to be Greece - a Mr. Clarke, I believe. We have watched a few of the lecture in our suite (they are available on demand on the television) and have found them to be quite interesting and helpful.

We are loving this cruise so VERY much - quite sure we'll be booking another Seabourn Odyssey cruise soon. Email me with any questions and I'll find out the answers: djbesq1@yahoo.com

Debbie

Debbie, thank you so much for your review - we are booked for our first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey on Nov 14 and the wait is made a bit easier by reading reports such as yours. If you happen to go to the gym, could you see if they have any stairmasters? they've gone out of style in favour of ellyptical machines in most cruiseships but they are still my favourite cardio machine while on board (gotta burn some of those calories!).

I hope you post a full review upon your return - in the meantme, have a fantastic time !

Claudia,You can use the stairs instead of the elavators. :D

Lord, thanks for the input but I already do that as there are many, many more calories coming in than can be burned using the stairs on such a small ship. I think I would need a ship with 24 decks!!:p

I don't remember having to make diner reservations 48 hours in advance on any of the many Seabourn cruises that we have taken. Is this a new and regrettable policy or is my memory faulty?

We are presently on the Odyssey and just completed our third evening aboard and have been truly delighted with the ship, staff and whole experience. This is our first ever cruise and I'm quite sure we'll sail again on the Odyssey.

If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to find out the answers in the 4 more days we're here on the ship. Here are answers to the questions I have seen on the board recently:

Dry cleaning: I was told the machine is working (though I have not sent out any clothes for cleaning).

Electric sockets: In the room bar there is one (two-pronged UK type). In the hall vanity there are two, 1 UK type, 1 US type. In the bathroom there are two, 1 US type, 1 UK type (but the hair dryer that comes in the room has thicker than normal prongs and will not plug into the bathroom outlet - a safety issue we were told. Had the same issue at the Grande Bretagne pre-cruise). It will, however, accomodate an American hairdryer or shaver.

Storage space/closet: There is ample storage in the closet, bureau and credenza! We packed way too many clothes and everything has it's place. The room (Verandah Suite 522) is lovely, spacious, quiet. You honestly don't know when this ship is moving and when it isn't unless you really go look out a window!

Marina: Someone on the maiden (I believe) said the marina was very crowded and not everyone was accomodated. Our marina day was yesterday (while anchored at Mylos) and it was fabulous. It runs from 1:00-3:30 PM. We arrived right at 1:00 and were able to sign up for everything we wanted to do though you must complete your first activity before signing up for your next. So, we took a fun banana boat ride and came back and signed up for a kayak, which was available immediately. The marina was not crowded and I didn't see anyone waiting around in line to get their turn. We could have done every activity if we had wanted to. They have banana boat and intertube rides, waterskiing, kayaking, sailboarding, small sailboating. It was great fund and we'd highly recommend it

There are a lot of new staff on this cruise - not just new to Seabourn but first time staffers on any cruise. In the first hour on board, we met 4 staff who told us that this was their first cruise. That said, the staff works exceptionally hard to please the guests, anticipating your needs almost before you do! My DH and I do not drink alcohol and have been so charmed by the staff who, upon learning that we don't imbibe, have stocked our room and every bar with nonalcoholic champagne, wine and beer so that we can join in the celebratory mood with our tablemates.

The food has been outstanding, entertainment very good. Other than the first night (before we had realized we needed to make reservations for dinner), we have had no problem calling down at 6:30 to make reservations 48 hours in advance. We've eaten at the Restaurant, Restaurant 2 and Patio grill for dinner. Had room service for breakfast, dessert and coffee - each arrived in what seemed like a split second (5-10 minutes).

Formal night was our second night onboard. About 40% of gentlemen wore tuxes, the rest wore dark suits. Of the tuxes, about 60% were white dinner jackets, the rest wore black. All of the ladies were stunning in their finery, without exception : )

The lecturer is a Harvard professor whose area of specialty appears to be Greece - a Mr. Clarke, I believe. We have watched a few of the lecture in our suite (they are available on demand on the television) and have found them to be quite interesting and helpful.

We are loving this cruise so VERY much - quite sure we'll be booking another Seabourn Odyssey cruise soon. Email me with any questions and I'll find out the answers: djbesq1@yahoo.com

Debbie

There is some confusion here.

There are NO reservations required for dinner in the main restaurant. There are reservations required for Colonnade, Patio Grill and Restaurant 2. These restaurants are smaller and a booking system enables the maitres d'hotel to deliver a great experience.

The Odyssey has 450 passengers and they are easily and readily accommodated in these 4 venues which can hold over 650 in total. The main restaurant is large enough on its own to do so.

I have just read through all the past posts to establish what the Odyssey is like and I am hoping that all her teething troubles will have been ironed out by January! There seem to have been a lot! Thanks to djbesq1 ( last post) I am more positive than I was an hour ago reading some of the comments, especially about people cancelling!

We are on the world cruise so it is a long time to be on a ship if there are so many problems.

Host Dan - please get them sorted! Thank you.:confused:

Just curious, if you are boarding on the Saturday, are the other restaurants likely to be booked out already by those lucky cruisers lucky enough to be left on-board? Not sure what sort of percentage normally embark and disembark? I know you can always ask the question once you are on, was just curious really.

Archived