Am I going to early?

hollyberry

Hollyberry, the reason RCI doesn't show a lot of shore excursions right now is because they are renegotiating prices for 2005 with the outside operators. There should be 15-25 shore excursions at each stop to choose from, just keep an eye out for them. Most of the shore excursions disappeared from the site sometime this week. I know this doesn't answer your question about time of the year, but I didn't want you to panic about the shore excursions!

Erik

Guest enjoycruises

Erik is right. RCI told me that excursions and prices will be out in January. Read the Boards and you will find that anytime during the season (May-Sept) is "iffy".

I'm not sure what your "snow" reference is about? But there will be NO snow on the ground, but more in the mountains going beg. of May. And yes some tours may not be operating but most will. If so inclined- contact the venders directly for availablity.

Thanks for your quick replys. I guess I am just starting to panic.

Budget Queen- In July we saw so little snow on the mountains and the weather was quite warm. I just wanted to see and experience a little more of what I think is Alaskan weather. Although it was quite beautiful and oh so amazing. I have checked with some of the vendors and nothing seems to open up until the 2nd week of May or Memorial Day. I am just hoping that RCI has some options.

I will keep my eyes open and wait till after the first of the year.

Thank you.

hollyberry: hang in there! We went to Alaska the first time in mid-August and loved it. Our next cruise up there was last year, in mid-May and we loved it even more! I can't promise you any snow, but the mountains in May had a lot more snow on them then they did in August. Also, last year in May, the morning we sailed into Juneau, there was a fresh covering of snow on the trees on the hills and mountains behind the city-just beautiful! May will be too early to see salmon running, but we still saw all the other wildlife! We prefer May over August and we are returning again next year on HAL's Oostedam leaving Seattle on May 7. Hope you have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

You did not mention where you will be going in Alaska, but unless you are planning on going to the North Slope or high in the mountains, the odds of seeing snow that time of year is not great, sorry. You are too late, not too early.

Glacial Blue, Anchorage, AK

Glacial Blue: Could we have a peice of advice please? We are going on Celebrity's Summit on May 20th. We are trying to decide between 2 different Cruisetours. I'll briefly describe both:

Cruisetour #4: Friday: Leave Seward by bus. Anchorage for lunch (on your own). Bus to Talkeetna for evening. Stay at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.

Saturday: Leave by bus for Denali. Take to Denali Natural History Tours. Evening is Cabin Nite Dinner Theatre and stay in Denali (?at Grande Denali Lodge). Sunday: AM free time. PM board Wilderness Express (traincars) for ride to Anchorage. Overnight at Anchorage Downtown Marriott. Monday: Home.

Cruisetour #5: Friday: Same as above. Saturday: AM same as above. PM board Wilderness Express to Fairbanks. Overnight in Fairbanks. Sunday: Fairbanks including the El Dorado Gold Mine and a cruise on the Riverboat Discovery Sternwheeler. Overnight in Fairbanks. Monday: Home.

The #5 is $160 more than #4 for the 2 of us. We are in our 30's and love to travel. We like eating different foods and seeing different cultures. Have never been to Alaska. We are interested in getting as far "into" Alaska as we can, so the Fairbanks one appeals to us. BUT we are wondering if we are missing something by not staying longer in Denali.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. If you ever come to Indianapolis (maybe for the Indy 500 :D ), we'll return the favor!

Hi,

Both options sound like fun and although I've not done them on a "tour", I have on my own. Although I enjoyed Fairbanks, the sternwheeler in particular, I am a bit partial to Talkeetna and Denali for experiencing more of a "natural" Alaska. The Fairbanks trip offers you the feel of the goldrush days and life in a small city. The other offers you a glimpse of present day life in a small Alaskan town and the natural beauty of Alaska. I guess you'll need to choose by what appeals more to you, but as I said, I would pick the Talkeetna one for myself.

Enjoy!

Glacial Blue (be knocking on your door for that view of Indy tomorrow night) ;)

One important consideration- you are making a big mistake with a Natural History tour- worthless, you need at least the Tundra Wilderness tour to see any wildlife and scenery. BIG difference in distance in and especially here more is better. :) Ideally you need a 7 day add on, otherwise too much time is in transit. For example tour #4- you are missing a great opportunity for touring Seward- anyway- via bus is nothing exciting and no opportunity for your stops of interest- 3 hours Seward- Anchorage- little time there then another 2 hours via bus to Talkeetna- you will need a shuttle into town or a long walk. Then another 3+++ hours on the bus to Denali Park- 3 hours on the worthless Natural History tour, overnight, next day leave at noon for 8 hour train ride. , - IF you are at all inclined- consider going independent. There are few 30 year olds on cruisetours and a fixed generic schedule in Alaska is less than ideal with your priority for

"We are interested in getting as far "into" Alaska as we can,"

you can see and do much more for less cost going on your own. Especially in Denali Park- going via the shuttle will get you farther into Denali Park for 1/3 the cost of the "tour" bus. I would also strongly encourage you to take the regular run of the Alaska RR from Seward and consider the 11:30am Kenai fjords boat tour. Rent a round trip Anchorage car and get to Talkeetna and Denali park on your own. If you have 7 days- then Fairbanks is a worthwhile consideration. The more you know the better, get to your library and take out Alaska travel books.

Archived