Are rules meant to be broken???

Cathy p

Are you on something?

Tut Tut....remember the guidelines

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Then why did you respond to me? I asked you very kindly not to put words in my mouth, but you could not leave it at that. You are in the wrong here, not I.

Yes..I'm wrong and I'm sorry. :o You are always right.:)

Whoa! It's time someone put this thread out of its misery!

I was thinking the same thing.

I hereby invite anyone and everyone to take as many potshots at me as they like until this thread is officially dead. Be creative, but don't get yourself banned. ;)

Rules, Guidlines, and laws are all different things...and all have varying levels of "wiggleroom". Even laws against murder have exceptions.

Laws in the U.S. are not strictly enforced. The debate between the "letter of the law" vs. "the spirit of the law" is not just a philosophical or biblical debate...but a Constitutional and legal debate as well. The Bill of Rights, which are supposedly "unalienable rights" have numerous exceptions.

...you have the right to free speech, but it is illegal to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater, or to say something in public about a private person that isn't true.

...you have the right to bare arms...but not if you are a convicted felon, and not without the proper permits, and waiting periods...and not if you are mentally unfit...

The bill of rights doesn't spell out these exceptions...they are spelled out through numerous decisions made by the Supreme Court...and this is done because the Court interprets the Constitution based on "The Spirit of the Law".

Flexibility is inherent in the U.S. legal system, and it is also inherent in the rules set up by private companies. If people have concerns about certain "rules" that Carnival enforces...there is a process they can go through to appeal the enforcement of those rules. In some cases, Carnival can be flexible, in others...international laws are much less flexible.

Now you and I may disagree regarding the flexibility of certain laws and rules. We may disagree with how strictly the Supreme Court should interpret the Constitution, and we may disagree with the courts rulings. We may disagree with the flexibility of Carnivals management, but it is there, regardless of our disagreement.

I've been hesitant to respond to this thread, but am going to go ahead and throw my 2 cents in.

I think some of the reason for asking to move kids up is that other cruise lines let you. Some have a "within 2 months of birthday" clause that allows you to move a kid up when it's close to their birthday. I for one really wish Carnival had this. We will cruise the week before my 5yo turns 6. If there are a lot of other 5yo girls, she will be fine. If there aren't - well, I'll be one of those parents begging to allow her to move up, because she surely won't find a playmate among 2yos in diapers. There's a HUGE difference between the kids at the beginning and end of the age range in the 2-5yo group.

I mostly, though, wanted to address some of the negative comments about "intellectually advanced" kids being forced to get along with their age mates. Until you have "walked a mile" in the shoes of a parent of a child like this, you have no right to talk about how those kids should or shouldn't be socially. Would you expect a child whose IQ is 3 standard deviations below normal to function well among their age mates? Probably not. You might say they should move down, though. Yet, those with IQs 3 standard deviations above the norm are expected to get along with age-mates. IT can work, but it doesn't always. When my DS was 4, he had problems playing with the other kids in his preschool class. I watched one day when he was on the playground yelling at one of his classmates to "Run to the T-R-E-E so we can build a T-R-A-P". Well, the kid looked at DS like he was some nutcase just spewing letters, and DS got mad cause the kid didn't run to the tree to build a trap. Now that DS is 7, we actually have fewer problems because we've worked with him on how to get along with kids his age. But it takes time. And reminders that counting to 100 in base six (or binary) when you're playing hide-and-seek isn't ok.

Since there are a few here who do not abide by the guidelines for this forum it should come as little surprise that some don't believe rules or laws apply to them unless they agree with the rule or law.

If you wish to make exceptions to a rule then write them into the rule, it is easy to do if that is the writer's wish. However, a rule with no mention of potential exceptions or flexibility is not meant to be either bent or broken. It is a promise by the entity responsible for making the rule, in this case CCL, with all who put themselves under the care and authority of that agency. Where firmly written, I expect the rule to be enforced as written.

Of course that doesn't always happen but one can dream.

Since there are a few here who do not abide by the guidelines for this forum it should come as little surprise that some don't believe rules or laws apply to them unless they agree with the rule or law.

If you wish to make exceptions to a rule then write them into the rule, it is easy to do if that is the writer's wish. However, a rule with no mention of potential exceptions or flexibility is not meant to be either bent or broken. It is a promise by the entity responsible for making the rule, in this case CCL, with all who put themselves under the care and authority of that agency. Where firmly written, I expect the rule to be enforced as written.

Of course that doesn't always happen but one can dream.

Any one who writes rules, laws or guidelines knows that it's impossible to plan for every single situation that might bring the intent and focus of the rule, law or guideline. The best you can do is meet the situation, find some sort of workable exception and consider amending in the future.

Any one who writes rules, laws or guidelines knows that it's impossible to plan for every single situation that might bring the intent and focus of the rule, law or guideline. The best you can do is meet the situation, find some sort of workable exception and consider amending in the future.

Wow what a concept!!!!

Another thing I'm going to add is that the rules won't change on Carnival unless people write to them and tell them what they want, I think Carnival is like any other business and wants to please their customers, so this would actually be a lot more constructive than to debate it here.

However I thought it was a pretty good debate the first day or two;)

Last Fall, we did a cruise where my East Coast sister and her two kids cruised with my West Coast sister and two of her kids. The kids rarely get to see each other, and it would have been really nice if they could have been in the same group. Unfortunately, three were in the youngest group, but the oldest one was 6 years old and a few months too old. We would have asked if she could be in the younger group, but when we brought it up to her, she was FINE with the idea of being in a different group from her cousins. In fact, I think she thought it was pretty cool that she could be with bigger kids and they were the babies... They got to spend a lot of time together outside of camp, but in camp, they were separate, and it wasn't the end of the world...

Wow what a concept!!!!

Another thing I'm going to add is that the rules won't change on Carnival unless people write to them and tell them what they want, I think Carnival is like any other business and wants to please their customers, so this would actually be a lot more constructive than to debate it here.

However I thought it was a pretty good debate the first day or two;)

You mean like ... use your real name ... and not just howl into the anonymous void that is the interwebs ...?

This concept confuses me. ;)

Drew, I think it's so normal to be with kids your own age, it's all part of psychological developement.

I've been reading other peoples posts about maybe if they have a child that is mentally delayed, or if it's only a matter of months AND a reason that they should be in the other group IE: boredom, sibling,etc. So I admit I think Carnival could be more flexible with their rules but it has to be the same for everyone, they have to have guidlines to changing the rules, and they must be treated as law ROFL hows that for using all of those terms in the same sentence? I deserve a DOD for that!!!

But I really believe if people really want it to change they need to approach the company.

Lemur: ROFLMAO about howling into the internet

Thanks for my morning laugh!

I find that most folks who claim their kids are "mature" for their age are usually full of hogwash. Let kids be kids. They have plenty of years ahead of them to be "mature". Heck, I have a husband who has yet to mature!

Ain't that the truth-I have a friend of mine who has always said loud and often how "mature" her daughter is. Wonder how mature she thought she was when she came home pregnant at 16. Here's hoping she is mature enough to take care of a child.

I would respectfully disagree. Having assisted in the development of several rules, regulations and guidelines. There are many situations in which rules can be made hard and fast.

If you want flexibility or forsee a need for such then write it into the rule or as an addendum to the rule.

They should make a rule that everyone is required to jump overboard right after muster. Afterwards, all that would be left is people I'd probably really enjoy hanging out with. :eek: :D

*LOL* :)

I love it !!!!!

They should make a rule that everyone is required to jump overboard right after muster. Afterwards, all that would be left is people I'd probably really enjoy hanging out with. :eek: :D

:) That is just about the funniest thing I have read on here. I would be on deck with you laughing and having a DOD/ spiked with smuggled booze.:rolleyes:

Maybe not teaching a child to lie , but how many parents have scolded a child when they have simply told the truth

"Boy Grandma you are old "

" Aunt Mary sure is fat"

Yes I know those things aren't nice and hurtful to be said , but a child is just telling it like it is, and then gets scolded for it .

I won't be scolding my child for being truthful, I'd be trying to explain saying nothing about something that could be hurtful is proper behavior. It is a lesson some adults need to learn. "I tell it like I see it" type folks.

How about teaching a child good manners, there can still be truth in that.

People should have filters between their brain and mouth.

The spirit of a rule is more important than the rule it's self.

Archived