Are rules meant to be broken???

Cathy p

I love reading the reviews from all types of people, however, there was one for the Legend on the review page that just irrated me so I thought I would jump in with my 2 cents.

Someone complained that the head of Camp Carnival did not want to allow their child to participate in the 9 to 11 age group. The child was 8. I am so sorry, why in the world would they have an age group listed if they were to always break the rules. In her case they did after several days of complaining. The person rated the trip a 2 so it seems Carnival could not please the person.

I love listening to all types of reviews, however, I am a firm believer in rules. Ok I am done now and feel so much better. Thanks for listening.:)

I love reading the reviews from all types of people, however, there was one for the Legend on the review page that just irrated me so I thought I would jump in with my 2 cents.

Someone complained that the head of Camp Carnival did not want to allow their child to participate in the 9 to 11 age group. The child was 8. I am so sorry, why in the world would they have an age group listed if they were to always break the rules. In her case they did after several days of complaining. The person rated the trip a 2 so it seems Carnival could not please the person.

I love listening to all types of reviews, however, I am a firm believer in rules. Ok I am done now and feel so much better. Thanks for listening.:)

What were the circumstances? Was the child just shy of 9 by a couple of months and/or had a sibling in the older group? Was the child extremely mature ( I had a friend cruise with her child who was 7 but had skipped 2 grades because of her gift of intelligence and the cruise line did allow that child to an older category) I believe in rules too..and if I were in that situation I too would try and get my little one in the older group BUT if I was told that accomodations could not be made I would live with that..I cant see complaining over something that is written in black and white

I really don't see that it makes a difference what the circumstances are. EVERYONE has circumstances in their own eyes, that make perfect sense to them.

I think if the minimum age is 9 to get into that group then they should not try to get an 8 year old in it. I know some want to keep the kids together and so forth, but they plan the activities that are age appropriate and people need to just stop expecting the world to stop on it's axis and go the other way just to please them, we have a HUGE me generation out there. :rolleyes:

JMO, Carole

Didn't you know, that rules (as a rule) are ALWAYS for the other people!

I break rules occassionally, so I guess Im not a big believer in rules. They make so many exceptions to rules, what is one more in the case of a child who wasnt happy in the lower catgory. I think it depends on the maturity of the child in this case.

Not a biggie to me unless the child just was being pushed by a parent.

I also read that review and at the end thought that I would just disregard that one. After they finally let the 8 yo in the older group, it said the kids went to one activity but the 8 yo felt uncomfortable, so they did not go back. Gee, do you think that is the reason for splitting the age groups? I bet the 8 yo would have been fine in the correct age group. Sounds like they picked at every little thing after that so called incident.

The Supreme Court recently issued a decision in a case where a thirteen year-old was strip searched due to an allegation that she had given another student ibuprofen. The Supreme Court found that search excessive. I'm surprised the case had to go that far as common sense alone should bring most anyone to that conclusion. School system zero-tolerance policies are a good metaphor for the abdication of common sense in our society. Having rules and obeying rules are bedrock requirements for civil society. Rules restricting activities that endanger others should be rigorously enforced. Rules for organized teen activities, (like ibuprofen) do not fall into this category. The cruise lines (like schools) should be able to interpret situations like these case by case, not with the iron truncheon of "it's a rule".

I break rules occassionally, so I guess Im not a big believer in rules. They make so many exceptions to rules, what is one more in the case of a child who wasnt happy in the lower catgory. I think it depends on the maturity of the child in this case.

Not a biggie to me unless the child just was being pushed by a parent.

I don't think the 8 yo even tried his/her own age group. It sounded like they just wanted him/her to be with the other kids.

These rules are a product of the computer age. When my daughter, who started cruising with me at the age of 12, we would visit Camp Carnival during the welcome aboard orientation. My daughter would decide at that time which age group she wanted to join, and as her parent, I would list her age as being within that group. No one was the wiser, and nobody really cared. Fast forward to the present; on board computers generate lists of all children and their ages. Camp Carnival counselors are told to strictly adhere to the age specific requirements of each age group. Any deviation now requires approval of a dept head.

The Supreme Court recently issued a decision in a case where a thirteen year-old was strip searched due to an allegation that she had given another student ibuprofen. The Supreme Court found that search excessive. I'm surprised the case had to go that far as common sense alone should bring most anyone to that conclusion. School system zero-tolerance policies are a good metaphor for the abdication of common sense in our society. Having rules and obeying rules are bedrock requirements for civil society. Rules restricting activities that endanger others should be rigorously enforced. Rules for organized teen activities, (like ibuprofen) do not fall into this category. The cruise lines (like schools) should be able to interpret situations like these case by case, not with the iron truncheon of "it's a rule".

Exactly. Well said.

rules are guidance. not laws...which are meant to be bent! why are people so hell bent on "following the rules" that someone arbitrarily decided would be good for the masses???

I agree that most rules should have a little "wiggle room" for certain situations.

Where I work most of the "rules" that get posted (almost constantly) are the product of some higher up getting pissed off about something usally trivial.

One day the boss knocks over a plant in the office and gets mad that he had to clean it up and get dirt and water on his clothes , so the next day new rule posted "NO PLANTS IN OFFICE OR ON DESKS "

rules are guidance. not laws...which are meant to be bent! why are people so hell bent on "following the rules" that someone arbitrarily decided would be good for the masses???

And even laws are bent quite a bit. It's called "exemptive relief".

. . .Having rules and obeying rules are bedrock requirements for civil society. Rules restricting activities that endanger others should be rigorously enforced. Rules for organized teen activities, (like ibuprofen) do not fall into this category. The cruise lines (like schools) should be able to interpret situations like these case by case, not with the iron truncheon of "it's a rule".

Oooo, I like the way you put that. :) :)

maybe there were more 11 year olds in the 9-11 group pushing the age diff. to 3 years. Which makes alot of difference, lets say yo have a 11 year old would they fit it 12-15 group if the majority of kids were 15 they would be a loner, that is why the restrict it that way

And if the child had taken a very large dose (one that would make the person very ill - or even died) then the court would be school would have another suit. Some times you cannot win.

The people that complain about the rules, or want them changed, are the ones who feel that rules were never put in place for them anyway!

Agreed.

These rules are a product of the computer age. When my daughter, who started cruising with me at the age of 12, we would visit Camp Carnival during the welcome aboard orientation. My daughter would decide at that time which age group she wanted to join, and as her parent, I would list her age as being within that group.

And this is how such behavior is learned.

And if the child had taken a very large dose (one that would make the person very ill - or even died) then the court would be school would have another suit. Some times you cannot win.

We can "what if" anything to death. This case dealt with facts not in dispute. You can read the majority opinion here if you care to know the facts. http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/08-479.pdf

what-iffing is an excuse to ignore common sense and just bury our collective heads in the sand. Penalizing school officials for a bad outcome while acting properly (I assume this to be your point) is an equally egregious assault on common sense. We have no one but our collective selves to blame for the predicament our society finds itself in. Perhaps we should all take a collective breath and try to act more reasonably going forward.

I agree that most rules should have a little "wiggle room" for certain situations. "

i like rules because it keeps things running smoothly. There is a per peeve of mine about the rules with certain instances where some people can and some people cant.

Example-- someone in the cabin can not be under 21 unless some onein the cabin is over 25-- and people are ALWAYS booking their kids in a cabina cross the hall. Now some people cant do this and some people can.

I dont think the program is age appropriate for an 8 year old.-simply because this group can come and go as they please.

the program is for 9-11 and I dont think its fair for an 11 year old to hang in a program with an 8 year old. Dont like the rules-- go somewhere else.

an almost 15 year old should get a drivers permit because their older sibling is 16 and can get theirs????

What were the circumstances? Was the child just shy of 9 by a couple of months and/or had a sibling in the older group? Was the child extremely mature ( I had a friend cruise with her child who was 7 but had skipped 2 grades because of her gift of intelligence and the cruise line did allow that child to an older category) I believe in rules too..and if I were in that situation I too would try and get my little one in the older group BUT if I was told that accomodations could not be made I would live with that..I cant see complaining over something that is written in black and white

You could not be more right being a smart 8 yr old doesnt make u a 9 yr old.

We can "what if" anything to death. This case dealt with facts not in dispute. You can read the majority opinion here if you care to know the facts. http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/08-479.pdf

what-iffing is an excuse to ignore common sense and just bury our collective heads in the sand. Penalizing school officials for a bad outcome while acting properly (I assume this to be your point) is an equally egregious assault on common sense. We have no one but our collective selves to blame for the predicament our society finds itself in. Perhaps we should all take a collective breath and try to act more reasonably going forward.

very well said

As a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 25 years I can't tell you how many accidents , deaths and other asorted tragedies occur for no other reason but that some brain dead moron did something stupid and it bit them in the butt.

Ya know those Darwin Award types that when it happens you have to shake your head laugh and just say *****.

To make matters worse these people then becomes "VICTIMS" and then it is a fate worse then death in society to critize these poor souls or even ask a simple question as to "What the hell were you thinking"

If you do not want to follow the rules at my house, you should not come to visit and are not welcome; If you do not want to follow the cruise Line rules you should not cruise on the cruise line. The ship is private property and you are bound by the property owners. Every rule ever made was in response to some problem someone encountered. Follow the rules or stay home.

i like rules because it keeps things running smoothly. There is a per peeve of mine about the rules with certain instances where some people can and some people cant.

Example-- someone in the cabin can not be under 21 unless some onein the cabin is over 25-- and people are ALWAYS booking their kids in a cabina cross the hall. Now some people cant do this and some people can.

I dont think the program is age appropriate for an 8 year old.-simply because this group can come and go as they please.

the program is for 9-11 and I dont think its fair for an 11 year old to hang in a program with an 8 year old. Dont like the rules-- go somewhere else.

an almost 15 year old should get a drivers permit because their older sibling is 16 and can get theirs????

Exactly!!!! The guidelines are there for a reason, and excellent point about it being unfair to the older kids in the group.

My biggest problem with this whole thing is that most of the people that break (bend) the rules are doing it to change the rules on kids.

For instance Camp Carnival, adults only hot tubs, over 21 in a room, etc....

Why would you want to set an example to your kids by changing rules to please yourself? Isn't that teaching them to not respect rules? To just change things if they don't agree with them?

I'm sorry but I don't buy into the whole "rules should bend with needs or wants" and luckily in our society the laws don't bend for needs or wants either.

JMO, Carole

Archived