Smart/Casual dress code?

PP76

I am sure this has been asked many times before:-

We have not been on a cruise since 2005, then on the smart casual nights I would have worn a long sleeved shirt, tie and jacket, do many men still wear this or is it now just an open necked shirt and is it with or without a jacket?

We are on the Ruby Princess in August.

We have not been on a cruise since 2005, then on the smart casual nights I would have worn a long sleeved shirt, tie and jacket, do many men still wear this or is it now just an open necked shirt and is it with or without a jacket?

See this poll, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1006188

Princess does not do smart casual and you will hardly ever find a man wearing a jacket, no less a tie, on any other night than formal.

For non-Formal nights, I wear either a dress shirt or a golf shirt, nice slacks, shoes and socks.

I dress the way I want to dress on a cruise. I do not care what people wear or don't wear. I am on the cruise for relaxation and could care less about formal nights. If other people want to wear formal that is their choice. I do not want to feel that I have to do it. Each to their own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doodie

Princess does not do smart casual and you will hardly ever find a man wearing a jacket, no less a tie, on any other night than formal.

I am not sure what you are referring to? :confused: I thought Princess' dress code was still either Smart Casual (most nights) or Formal?

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/bring.jsp

I am not sure what you are referring to? :confused: I thought Princess' dress code was still either Smart Casual (most nights) or Formal?

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/bring.jsp

I was reading it as informal, which on some other lines means jacket and tie. I certainly cruise Princess enough to know the difference. And, I am always casual, even though I become a conformist on formal nights. ;)

Huh? From the Princess website:

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

What you describe sounds about right for formal night, even without the tie.

On casual evenings just bout anything goes except shorts. Dockers, polo or golf shirt, sandals (with or without socks), jeans, you name it & you'll see it one time or another.

I dress the way I want to dress on a cruise. I do not care what people wear or don't wear. I am on the cruise for relaxation and could care less about formal nights. If other people want to wear formal that is their choice. I do not want to feel that I have to do it. Each to their own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doodie

Good for you. I also have the same attitude.

Jeans are allowed on non-formal nights as long as they are clean and in good repair (no holes, frays, etc). I wear khaki pants, open collared shirt (polo or other) and leather sandals on non-formal nights. On formal nights I change the pants to a darker color (wash and wear) and long sleeved dress shirt. Sometimes I take along (do not wear) a blue blazer which I hang on the back of my chair. I do not wear ties or suits and I certainly do not want to look like a stuffed penguin in a tux.

To a prior poster: I have no idea what socks are used for and don't take any when in the Caribbean. It is too hot.

Jeans are allowed on non-formal nights as long as they are clean and in good repair (no holes, frays, etc).

LOL You make it almost sound as though I could use an old pair my wife fixed for me when I ripped them with my chain saw one day. :):cool:

In answer to your question. My husband also used to wear a tux on formal nights and a sport coat or suit on "smart, casual" nights. Every year we have noticed dress becoming more and more casual. This last cruise he was actually uncomfortable and felt out of place in his sport coat.

I don't think he will be taking any sport coats on cruises any more.

Either a long sleeved shirt and slacks or a polo and slacks seem to be the norm.

(We both still love to dress formally on formal nights so the tux is still coming with us)

On our ten nighter on the Emerald in April, most males dressed in a nice sport shirt with collar and slacks etc., on smart casual nights. On formal nights, it was usually tux or dark suit with tie etc. We find the dining room attire a wee bit dressier on the Celebrity M and S class. Please note that shirt and tie which was the accepted dress for informal, has essentially been disbanded by most lines.

OMG....a blazer?? yikes..you and my DH will be turned away on formal nites without a "suit"...

just kidding...tho he did indeed wear his blue blazer with gold buttons,,,dress shirts, tie and dress chinos on formal nights...as a retireee..that is as far as he will go...

he looked great..and obviously we never had a problem...I did notice that all 3 men (except DH) took their suit jackets off during dinner...I don't know..is it uncomfortable to eat with a dress men's jacket on??

come to think of it...have you ever been to a wedding when those tux jackets on our the back of chairs..even the groom..as soon as possible??

again...wear what you want..look neat..not shorts or jeans on formal nights..and you likely will fit right in..

those cronies at the next table may be talking about how poorly you are dressed..but who cares??

rosie

OMG....a blazer?? yikes..you and my DH will be turned away on formal nites without a "suit"...

just kidding...tho he did indeed wear his blue blazer with gold buttons,,,dress shirts, tie and dress chinos on formal nights...as a retireee..that is as far as he will go...

he looked great..and obviously we never had a problem...I did notice that all 3 men (except DH) took their suit jackets off during dinner...I don't know..is it uncomfortable to eat with a dress men's jacket on??

come to think of it...have you ever been to a wedding when those tux jackets on our the back of chairs..even the groom..as soon as possible??

again...wear what you want..look neat..not shorts or jeans on formal nights..and you likely will fit right in..

those cronies at the next table may be talking about how poorly you are dressed..but who cares??

rosie

Thank You, It's extremely uncomfortable to eat with a jacket on. :mad:

Archived