Disembarkation from San Juan on AOS - is 10:15 flight too risky?

We are cruising on the Adventure in April, and are considering a 10:15 a.m. flight out of San Juan. Is this possible if we do self-disembarkation? Has anyone else tried doing this? I know there can be long lines at the airport, but if we can be one of the first one at the airport, can we make it?

Tim

...the catch was we did a standby for it. Our original flight was at noon. This was in Seattle earlier the month. We were on a Holland ship and did 'the take your own luggage off routine'. We got to the airport just in time to get on this flight instead.

It is not just about getting YOU to the airport on time.You have to remember that you have to be able to check your luggage in an hour ahead of time on most airlines.

I have sailed Adventure 3 times. If everything goes well you can plan on the first group of people getting off the ship around 7:30AM and make SURE that you carry off your own luggage. Plan on about 30 minutes to get through immigration/customs and out to the sidewalk where the taxi stand is . Now it is about 8AM. It will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get to the airport. It is now 8:30AM. Now comes the line for check-in which I won't even estimate.

The point is that if everything goes well, and often times it does, you can make it. If there are any delays all bets are off. It all depends on what your tolerance for risk is. But don't plan on your last morning of vacation being stress free and don't plan on a leisurely breakfast!

Also keep in mind that if you miss your flight you may well not get on another plane that day. My experience with flights to and from San Juan is that they have been packed full especially since some airlines have cut back on capacity by either eliminating flights or operating smaller aircraft. For example, American has switched from 767s to 757s on many routes in and out of Puerto Rico which greatly impacts capacity.

Tim,

You could always book a later flight and still walk off with your bags. Then if you do get to the airport early enough, you can try to fly standby on the 10:15 flight.

Or you could do what we are doing - stay an extra day and extend the vacation a little! :D

See you on the ship!

Never cruise RCI, but have cruise out of San Juan 3 times Princess-1 & Carnival-2, never had a problem. I have had flights as early 8:30am. The problem in San Juan is that if you don't get off the ship early, the airport has problem accommodating 2 or 3 ships disembarking at he same time.

Or, you could use the luggage valet program if your airline is part of it. We used it off the AOS last December. Be the first off the ship (with or without your luggage), grab a porter (they'll get you thru customs around the line), find the valet luggage drop-off for you airline, hop a cab, go thru security with no checked luggage worries and off you go.

Peter

Can you use the luggage valet if you flight is before noon?

Nope.

To the OP: That is extremely risky. There is minimal wiggle room for delays and San Juan Airport is known for often having long security lines. It is also not uncommon for a ship to be late in being cleared to begin debarking passengers (and sometimes ships even arrive late into port). If you miss the flight (of which there is a very realistic chance) it might be a while before you can get a seat on another flight and the airline may make you purchase new tickets. Also, if you have travel insurance they very well may not reimsburse you for any added expenses should you miss the flight because of taking a flight earlier than what the cruise line recommends.

Or, you could use the luggage valet program if your airline is part of it. We used it off the AOS last December. Be the first off the ship (with or without your luggage), grab a porter (they'll get you thru customs around the line), find the valet luggage drop-off for you airline, hop a cab, go thru security with no checked luggage worries and off you go.

Peter

The earliest flight time for which you can use the valet program is either 11:00 or 11:30 AM.

If the airline one is booked on uses the Luggage Valet Service, flights must depart 11:30 or later when disembarking in San Juan.

Remember that no one is allowed off the ship until it has been cleared and all bills have been settled.......the latter taking up the most time.

We just got of AOS yesterday, departed ship at 8:30 and had bags checked and through security by 9:15. We take a cab to the airport $24 for four with five bags. There was only one ship in yesterday and when we got to the airport there was very few people there. It started to get busy by 10 AM, Good Luck.

I wouldn't do this either. AOS was my favorite cruise, but when we got off there was such a scramble for taxis that we would never have made it to the airport for 10:15 a.m. I had previously been thinking about that flight, but instead stayed an extra day in San Juan and caught the 10 :15 the next day.

Archived