Carnival Pride

Carnival Valor

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Glory

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Dream

please do not be nasty, i do not deserve this, i am trying to be helpful and informative. like i said, i am reviewing MY experience. i did not make this number up, we were told this number at the captains welcome aboard reception and they stated that they had never had so many passengers on-board.

Please continue with your review, dont be distracted by the argument of exactly how many people were on board, we get it, it was crowded, nuff said... some people on this board love to start up its best just to ignore them.

over all ship ,cleaniness,employee ,staff food everything was great A+except for big lines in lido deck thats ok was lots of people thats understandble but i will be writing letter to carnival about rudness one of their employee if people remember 06/29/09 when people line up on lobby area to get off ship their was english lady employee wearing track suit was very rude with guest she was yelling like a bitch on guest i could not belive it because she knows everybody filled out good survey already thats why she dont give it ****.write a post if you encounter same experince from that woman.i wish i get her name.

yes, some staff were rude. not sure if it was a defense mechanism or if they were pissed off at the people who'd been removing the tips. the first day on the ship i was at the desk and the man in front of me was trying to remove the tips from his account already.

the hostess for the diningroom breakfast and lunch was rude. each time we were there, they tried to keep people from geting on the line, before the dining hours were over, even though the lines were long and people would be able to get in if it were not for the long lines. tempers flared from passengers who they we trying to reject before the dining hours were over and staff was rude and argumentative. the hostess actualy told some passengers, if we let you on the line, we won't be ready for lunch etc... the people were there well before closing and again, if the lines were not soooo long, they could have just walked in.

we also noticed the lunch staff was indifferent. they did not want to be bothered and they never smiled. did the very bare minimum. never offered ice tea or lemonade, never offered coffee, they were no where to be found, did not check on us. however the dining room breakfast and lunch food was good and the experience was less stressful than the buffet cattle call..

She is correct. The 2,758 is just as you said, based on double occupancy. As you are aware or may not be, you can add additional people to your room by adding bunk beads and cots which could dramtically increase the passenger count. I experienced this myself on the Carnival Victory in May 27 - June 7th there were well over 3,100 passangers and the captain and crew not included.

:eek: that sucks.

yes, some staff were rude. not sure if it was a defense mechanism or if they were pissed off at the people who'd been removing the tips. the first day on the ship i was at the desk and the man in front of me was trying to remove the tips from his account already.

the hostess for the diningroom breakfast and lunch was rude. each time we were there, they tried to keep people from geting on the line, before the dining hours were over, even though the lines were long and people would be able to get in if it were not for the long lines. tempers flared from passengers who they we trying to reject before the dining hours were over and staff was rude and argumentative. the hostess actualy told some passengers, if we let you on the line, we won't be ready for lunch etc... the people were there well before closing and again, if the lines were not soooo long, they could have just walked in.

we also noticed the lunch staff was indifferent. they did not want to be bothered and they never smiled. did the very bare minimum. never offered ice tea or lemonade, never offered coffee, they were no where to be found, did not check on us. however the dining room breakfast and lunch food was good and the experience was less stressful than the buffet cattle call..

Wow, I would be disappointed too if I had to experience this on my cruise, rude guests and rude workers, yikes!

fyi: there were over 3,300 passengers on the ship that i thought only held a max of 2,700. we arrived pleanty early and there is absolutely no reason it should take 2 hours to get into the parking lot from the street.

Was the Triumph the only ship that day? If not, that's why there was so much traffic getting into the parking lot.

WRONG!

They are not allowed by law to go past the occupancy rate of 2758... period! It did not happen, could not happen and will not happen. Sometimes when you are trying to get a room at the last minute there allow only 2 to a room even if the room will accommodate more... because they want to sell the remaining cabins but can only put two to a room so as not to exceed the occupancy.

Wrong again.

They never sail 105%... they sail at 100%. If you reread what I wrote you will see that once a certain threshold is hit they will sell only 2 to a cabin, so that all cabins are filled. They will sell every cabin as 2 to a cabin as it brings in more money than 4 to a cabin. Once again occupancy rates are determined by the amount of space in lifeboats/life vest/etc. and regulated by the Coast Guard. Regardless of where a ship is "flagged" once it docks at a US pier it must abide by US rules and the Coast Guard would not allow the ship to leave the port/pier with more passengers than what their occupancy is. How hard is this to understand?

Who is this HORRIBLE person assuming to know everythig about maritime law and the cruise ship business...WRONG...WRONG...WRONG. Does he mean to imply that if this ship has reached some mysterious threshold that Carnival would not allow people with children to book a cabin? That would be more than 2 people. What about 3 friends who want to book & share a room? What about my sister-in-law who wants to book with us (therefore being a 3rd guest in the room) because she doesn't want to share with anyone else? They make $$$ of off her 1st of all for the booking (because she's not free just becauise they are over their threshold) and she spends $$$ on this ship. How dare you get on here and talk to people the way you have. You shouldn't be allowed on here...you're not helpful you're rude! We don't need you on here if you can't help people or offer anything prodcutive.

Thank you for sharing/posting your review! I am going on the same cruise on August 1st show I appreciate it, period. I'd love for one of these review threads, for just once not to turn into craziness! just once :D

What did you do at the ports? and how was that?

The Miracle was also in port on the 25th. We had the traffic problem a few years ago when there were three ships in port. thats almost 9,000 people embarking and the same amount debarking. what a mess.

I'm not sure why people have to nit pick and badger and just be generally unpleasant on this forum, however it was pretty cool to see some egg on their faces when people who REALLY knew facts came on and corrected them.

I think people that come on these boards and post reviews really need iron gonads, because some people are absolutely brutal, if you do not like what you are reading move on to a different thread, because truly your bullying tactics are totally annoying.

If you disagree with something why not state the facts as you know them in a polite manner? The tone is just obnoxious.

Ok, sorry done <steps off soapbox>

To OP, the reason they they serve the food instead of letting people help themselves is to help keep the spread of viruses and such down. Believe me I was on the Spirit in Feb and I had the sweetest little old guy in front of me in the salad line and he was banging the spoon to get every last drop, sticking his finger on there to sweep it off and then licking his fingers and moving on the next thing:eek:

As a nurse I freaked and avoided the self serve stuff the rest of the cruise.

There also is a ignore button on here to mute out the people that are argumentative on here.

Keep up the review!!!

Carole

I think that those of you who are worrying about the passenger count should move on. I would like to read a review of the trip and find out all I can about why this trip did not go as well as planned.

When I was on the Triumph in February, the staff was the best I have had on a cruise. I don't know if the staff was changed with the itinerary or if they are still adjusting. Maybe we all just have differing expectations, who knows. Whatever the case, we are all entitled to our opinion. If a person posts something we don't like, it does not do any good to berate them. Just move on and be adults.

If you are still interested in posting a review, I would love to read it. Thanks.

Aleece

WRONG!

They are not allowed by law to go past the occupancy rate of 2758... period! It did not happen, could not happen and will not happen. Sometimes when you are trying to get a room at the last minute there allow only 2 to a room even if the room will accommodate more... because they want to sell the remaining cabins but can only put two to a room so as not to exceed the occupancy.

Excuse me but the maximum passenger capacity of the Triumph is 3470...

I believe you owe someone an apology...

:)

This is extracted from cruisestaterooms.com:

Shipyard: Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani, Italy

Inaugural cruise: October 23, 1999

Godmother: Madeleine Arison, Wife of Micky Arison, Carnival Corporation's Chairman.

Country of registry: Bahamas

Cost: $410 million

Cruising speed: 21 knots

Size/Capacity:

Gross tonnage: 101,509

Length: 893 feet

Beam: 116 feet; 125 feet at pool deck

Maximum draft: 27 feet

Full guest occupancy: 3470

Normal occupancy (based on 2 per cabin): 2758

Passenger decks: 13

Space ratio: 37:1

As we all know, many of the cabins will accommodate three and four guests. The figure of 2758 is based on double occupancy only.

Below is a direct quote from John Heald's blog on June 27, 2009. He is the Senior Cruise Director for Carnival - so I think he would not be WRONG!

"With regards to the cabins we never leave the cabins empty. It is our goal to always sail at 100% occupancy or more……….meaning not only is every cabin booked but every bed in every cabin is full."

This means the occupancy number listed for each ship is lower than the number of passengers the ship may actually carry. I read where 104% or 105% is the goal for most sailings.

We had a different impression of the hostess. We thought she had her act together and was very efficient. We never stood in a line of more than 10 people. I guess it depends on what time you go to breakfast or lunch.

Janice

The piers in NYC are never an easy port to get to. I live in NY and I can tell you that roadway access will be opened and close at the direction of the Port Authority and NYC Police Officers there. 55th Street is supposed to be the direct access to the piers. Don't believe it! If you are coming from Queens head directly west from the 59th Street Bridge (or you tell your cab driver to do so) as far as you can and then you will be lined up with the piers and just keep driving until you see your ship. On a trip to Bermuda, it took me 45 minutes to get from one side of the street to the other because the Police were directing everyone up and around 59th Street due to an earlier incident where a passenger jumped/fell into the water from a docked ship. Emergency vehicles needed clear roadway access to get to the ship. I could have walked across the street if I had less luggage and wanted to brave the traffic.

Every Saturday and Sunday streets are closed in Manhattan due to street fairs/festivales/parades, etc. making driving almost impossible.

Plus, while you are trying to arrive there are people trying to get out of the port! Add in one way traffic and sometimes I have seen the porters standing in the middle of the roadway intercepting arriving cars, telling passengers to get out, indicate what luggage they are checking and then have to walk the rest of the way to the check in desk in an effort to improve traffic flow and not keep cars lined up for miles. The the porters took the luggage and heaved it over the divider! You had to see the looks of passengers leaving limos watching their luggage sail into the air and land hard on the ground. That is why you need to have insurance!

MARAPRINCE

Before things get out of hand I think a few things need to be said.

1. Buffet on Triumph is the old style line up type -- not individual stations like Princess. Do not attempt to jump ahead of anyone unless you want to start a fight. Some people take more time than others deciding what they want to eat and food needs to be made and replenished as needed.

2. Asian station -- Food is constantly being cooked to replenish it. If you don't see it being cooked when you arrive at the window, it doesn't mean it wasn 't just added to the servers. Look at the actual size of the servers -- not large. How do you think the food gets into them if not constantly being made and added to the servers?

3. Timing is everything -- When school is out, ships are more crowded and filled to capacity. Everyone has to eat somewhere. If you don't like crowds, eat earlier or later, or go to the hamburger area or use room service. There are choices. The dining room service will be slow and not very efficient since most of the crew is up in the buffet area handling the majority of the passengers who just keep coming and coming in waves!

4. Cabin capacity -- As stated by the host, the ship can and does hold over 3,000 passengers at times. Some outside cabins on deck 2 can hold up to 6 passengers. Does this always happen? No, but the ship can and does hold over 100% capacity at times. This is when Carnival really starts to make a profit. Anything under 100% capacity and they are barely breaking even. Same goes for all the cruise lines.

5. Rude Passengers and Tip Removal -- Unfortunately you will find rude people wherever you go. This is a vacation and everyone should be focused on having a good time and not causing problems for others. If you have a problem with a staff member, report him/her immediate when the problems happens. Do not penalize everyone by removing tips. Yes, they receive a base pay, but considering what they have to put up with from rude and demanding passengers, they most certainly deserve the tips they get. You or I would not want to trade places with them and work the long hours that they do and be away from our families for 4-6 months at a time. Have a little consideration here.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you for sharing/posting your review! I am going on the same cruise on August 1st show I appreciate it, period. I'd love for one of these review threads, for just once not to turn into craziness! just once :D

What did you do at the ports? and how was that?

there was only 1 port, saint john. we did not do a tour, we just walked around which was very boring. there realy is nothing much to see on foot. you may want to do an organized tour. we thought we'd enjoy the ship to ourselves but the movie screen was so loud we could not enjoy being on the pool deck. also, only 1 other bar on the ship was open while in port.

Archived