triumph 6/25/09 my own good, bad and ugly

mgmigs

I'm curious though of the comment that was stated saying that carnival makes MORE money having 2 per cabin compared to 4 in a cabin. Can someone explain how this could be true since the 3rd and forth pay for their fare and tips and souveniers..etc.

Because at a certain point when occupancy is close to being met they will force you to buy 2 cabins and will not give you the 3/4 rate... that's how.

5. Rude Passengers and Tip Removal -- Unfortunately you will find rude people wherever you go. This is a vacation and everyone should be focused on having a good time and not causing problems for others. If you have a problem with a staff member, report him/her immediate when the problems happens. Do not penalize everyone by removing tips. Yes, they receive a base pay, but considering what they have to put up with from rude and demanding passengers, they most certainly deserve the tips they get. You or I would not want to trade places with them and work the long hours that they do and be away from our families for 4-6 months at a time. Have a little consideration here.

MARAPRINCE

Well put!:)

Excuse me but the maximum passenger capacity of the Triumph is 3470...

I believe you owe someone an apology...

:)

Nope... you are wrong... They do not have enough lifeboats and vests for that many guests. You can have all the rooms you want but if the seats are not on a lifeboat you are not putting them on the ship. Many times a ship sails with cabins empty and the pursers office will NEVER admit it. Your number would be over 125% occupancy and the coast guard would never allow it. Where did you get that number anyway?

Nope... you are wrong... They do not have enough lifeboats and vests for that many guests. You can have all the rooms you want but if the seats are not on a lifeboat you are not putting them on the ship. Many times a ship sails with cabins empty and the pursers office will NEVER admit it. Your number would be over 125% occupancy and the coast guard would never allow it. Where did you get that number anyway?

Bobsfamily:

I'm sorry to say that your information is not correct.

During high season (summer, holidays, etc), Carnival imposes what is called a MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY RESTRICTION. This means that Carnival will NOT sell a cabin which holds 4 passengers unless 4 passengers are sailing in it. This is done to maximize revenue during peak season, and YES, the ship has enough lifeboat space to accomodate every single berth filled. When this happens, the ship can carry as many as 3,470

During low season (fall months, early spring, etc), Carnival doesn't have this restriction in place. This means that Carnival will sell any cabin to anybody regardless of the number of passengers booking it. With only two people in each cabin, the passenger count would be 2,758

If you wish to verify this information, go on the website, call your TA or PVP and try to book a Christmas sailing quadruple cabin for only two passengers. You won't be able to do it.

I encourage you to call Carnival and verify this information. The ship CAN'T be certified unless there's a lifeboat spot for every berth, whether it's filled or not...

Bobsfamily:

I'm sorry to say that your information is not correct.

During high season (summer, holidays, etc), Carnival imposes what is called a MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY RESTRICTION. This means that Carnival will NOT sell a cabin which holds 4 passengers unless 4 passengers are sailing in it. This is done to maximize revenue during peak season, and YES, the ship has enough lifeboat space to accomodate every single berth filled. When this happens, the ship can carry as many as 3,470

During low season (fall months, early spring, etc), Carnival doesn't have this restriction in place. This means that Carnival will sell a any cabin to anybody regardless of the number of passengers booking it. With only two people in each cabin, the passenger count would be 2,758

If you wish to verify this information, go on the website, call your TA or PVP and try to book a Christmas sailing quadruple cabin for only two passengers. You won't be able to do it.

I encourage you to call Carnival and verify this information...

I have and once again you are not correct. Sorry, would that you could understand what drives capacity on a ship. They will sell a quad to 2 people if putting 4 in would make them go over their capacity for lifeboats. So sorry...

I even looked this up after your earlier comments, and I have found over a dozen websites with stats on cruise ships which ALL list the max passenger capacity in the range of 3400-3500. NOT ONE site states a maximum of 2758 - it says 2758 is passenger capacity assuming DOUBLE OCCUPANCY.

I have and once again it's not correct. Sorry, would that you could understand what drives capacity on a ship. They will sell a quad to 2 people if putting 4 in would make them go over their capacity for lifeboats. So sorry...

Clearly you are the one not understanding. The 2758 passenger figure assumes double occupancy - however, many more people are actually allowed. Yes, we all know there is a maximum number of passengers allowed - but it's close to 3500 on the Triumph, and that would allow for most, if not all, of the quad cabins, to be booked as quads.

I even looked this up after your earlier comments, and I have found over a dozen websites with stats on cruise ships which ALL list the max passenger capacity in the range of 3400-3500. NOT ONE site states a maximum of 2758 - it says 2758 is passenger capacity assuming DOUBLE OCCUPANCY.

What sites? I have searched and find nothing stating about the Triumph! I did not say anything about other ships. Show me.

I have and once again you are not correct. Sorry, would that you could understand what drives capacity on a ship. They will sell a quad to 2 people if putting 4 in would make them go over their capacity for lifeboats. So sorry...

To settle this matter, I just got off the phone with my PVP at Carnival who transfered me to his Sales coach and who verified what I told you. Your information is incorrect.

Once again, I encourage you to call Carnival, or anybody who has the facts...

Because at a certain point when occupancy is close to being met they will force you to buy 2 cabins and will not give you the 3/4 rate... that's how.

Hmm I want to own a calculator like you have! If pax 1/2 are 500pp and 3/4 are 250 (made up #'s) then they'd make 500 more on the FARE but if the same 4 are in the same room then they could sell the other room for less having more pax and more revenue even if it's discounted well below the 500pp rate. Also if these same 4 people are say 2 adults and 2 children then they only have 2 adults instead of possibly 4 for gambling, drinking, excursions etc. I still don't see how it's possible that any way the combined monies spent would be MORE for 2 rooms of 2 compared to the same rooms with 4 in one and 2 in the other unless the room is empty....

What sites? I have searched and find nothing stating about the Triumph! I did not say anything about other ships. Show me.

Google is your friend.

http://www.shipparade.com/az/Carnival_Triumph/Carnival_Triumph.htm

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/reviews/carnival/triumph.cfm

Here are two. I found several more earlier, but I'm not taking the time to do it again.

WOW! Bobsfamily, I believe the OP was quoting a total number of pax to emphasize displeasure over long wait times and a general crowded feeling on the ship. The specifics of total # of pax seems to have no bearing on the topic and if you read back a couple of pages you will find several links and references providing factual information that support the OP's number. It seems that you, however, are not able to provide any factual information to support your statements. It is antagonistic posting such as yours that disrupt the useful exchange of information and experiences. I hope tomorrow proves to be a better day for you.

Google is your friend.

http://www.shipparade.com/az/Carnival_Triumph/Carnival_Triumph.htm

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/reviews/carnival/triumph.cfm

Here are two. I found several more earlier, but I'm not taking the time to do it again.

From your second link...

The ship can feel crowded. It may list as 2758 passengers, but that is just counting beds on the floor. The maximum capacity is 3360 people, and when the ship is full a lot of those will be kids in rollaways and bunkbeds. Don't be surprised to find yourself in long lines at the shore excursion desk or the luncheon buffet. And finding your way around can take some doing, as the signs at elevators and stairwells are neither as numerous or as clear as you might hope.

As long as the reply button is there people are going to respond..sometimes agreeing with you, sometimes not...sorry I did not mean to cause you discomfort. I am not looking for positive or negative feedback...I don't own the cruiseline and don't care to hear anything negative.

you are able to summize that i am a complianer by nature from this post? did i not give any positive feedback??? maybe you should go back and read each post.

when i want to relax by the pool, music is nice but blaring loud club music as it was much of the time, not so great when you want to relax. again, this is MY experience, were you on this sailing? did ypou hear how loud the music was on the movie screen/speakers? if not, please keep your assumptions to yourself, after all you know how the saying goes!

WOW! Bobsfamily, I believe the OP was quoting a total number of pax to emphasize displeasure over long wait times and a general crowded feeling on the ship. The specifics of total # of pax seems to have no bearing on the topic and if you read back a couple of pages you will find several links and references providing factual information that support the OP's number. It seems that you, however, are not able to provide any factual information to support your statements. It is antagonistic posting such as yours that disrupt the useful exchange of information and experiences. I hope tomorrow proves to be a better day for you.

Not only is it antagonistic, but it serves to confuse people over the issues. There IS often a significant difference in passenger count when you cruise in the summer or during other school holidays because during those times, the ship IS filled to its true max capacity, with kids using the upper berths and rollaway beds. On the other hand, when you cruise at a time such as right after the school year starts, or right after a holiday ends, you will find the ship to have a number much closer to the double occupancy figure. And when you're talking about the Triumph, which has an over 600 passenger swing between double occupancy and maximum allowed, this can make a big difference in your cruise experience.

Please end this nonsence.... Bobsfamily.... YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I worked on that ship for almost 3 years.... They consistently sail with over 3000 guests. There is lifeboat/raft space alloted for every berth.... With close to 1100 crew (fully staffed), the ship can handle around 4500 souls.

Using your logic, there would be no need for a cabin to have more then 2 beds and definitely no need to discount 3rd and 4th passengers....

Please end this nonsence.... Bobsfamily.... YOU ARE WRONG!!!

I worked on that ship for almost 3 years.... They consistently sail with over 3000 guests. There is lifeboat/raft space alloted for every berth.... With close to 1100 crew (fully staffed), the ship can handle around 4500 souls.

Using your logic, there would be no need for a cabin to have more then 2 beds and definitely no need to discount 3rd and 4th passengers....

Right! If the 2758 was the maximum occupancy, then for every cabin with 3 guests, there would have to be a cabin with only one guest. For a cabin with 4 guests, there would have to be an empty cabin. Bob's logic just doesn't hold water, so to speak.

BOBSFAMILY

Coast Guard and international regulations also require a notice to be posted conspicuously in each passenger cabin or stateroom. The notice explains the following: How to recognize the ship's emergency signals (alarm bells and whistle signals are normally supplemented by announcements made over the ship's public address system); the location of life preservers provided for passengers in that stateroom (special life preservers for children will be provided, if necessary, by the room steward); instructions and pictures explaining how to put on the life preserver; and the lifeboat to which passengers in that stateroom are assigned. (Note: Passengers need not be alarmed if they discover that the total number of person's on board a cruise ship (passengers + crew) exceeds the total capacity of the ship's lifeboats. Modern cruise ships carry a variety of survival craft. Passengers are invariably assigned to lifeboats or similar survival craft. The total capacity of all the survival craft on board will exceed the total number of persons on the vessel).

NUFF SAID.......

My goodness, I logged on to this review and all I am reading is how many people were on it.

How was the weather on this cruise?

Please OP come back and give us more info. Thanks

Well, regarding the rude passengers and rude crew; this does happen occasionally. Seems like something just lines up right on certain sailings. A large group of first timers that don't want to tip or enjoy traditional cruise activities, or something... The crew knows what is going on; how others are being treated by the passengers and they start not caring about this particular cruise and its passengers and then when they get the next set of passengers that is more like a typical cruise, then things get back to normal. I have seen reports of this on every single mass market line during summer and holidays. And I've had it happen years ago on a holiday cruise on Celebrity.

It's just bad luck to be on that ship. And yes the line should not let it their crew react but they are all humans. You might look for times when kids are in school, longer cruises, higher space ratios, etc. to avoid the crowded conditions that bring out the worst in folks.

• Administrators

Since you obviously missed this earlier, here you go again -- http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/booking_procedure/OccupancyRestrictions.htm -- this is the website Carnival maintains for TAs concerning their ships. The Triumph is listed. You will also find an explanation of double occupancy versus max capacity at that link. Posting misinformation here does no one any service. :(

Archived