Glacier Bay or Hubbard..

rsingleton

Looking for alaska cruise itinerary. In your opinion what is a better itinerary one with trip to glacier bay national park, or hubbard. Also traveling with 9 yr old..

Thanks

If you do a search on this forum you will find MANY threads on this topic. In the end you will find those who absolutely prefer Glacier Bay and others who are equally adamant that Hubbard Glacier is the better. In the end, I don't think you can go wrong.

If this is your first cruise, I think Glacier Bay is the better option for one reason: Many have reported that their cruise ship could not get close to Hubbard because there was too much floating ice for the ships to get close. ALso, the area seems to be fog prone and you risk not being able to get a clear view. So, for my first Alaska cruise, I went with Glacier Bay. It is a beautiful day of scenic cruising. We were in total awe!!! If I get to Alaska again, it will be to see Hubbard.

I've been to both and definitely Glacier Bay was more spectacular.

Hubbard could have been just as good but our ship could not get very close at all because there was too much ice.

I've read some posts where people have said if you go earlier in the season go to Glacier Bay and if later in the season then your chances of getting closer to Hubbard are better, which makes sense.

I've read some posts where people have said if you go earlier in the season go to Glacier Bay and if later in the season then your chances of getting closer to Hubbard are better, which makes sense.

Both my Hubbard cruises have been early (last week of May and first week of June) and there's been little ice in the water.

rsingleton: As you can see the disagreement is heating up. It is just a very personal evaluation. I don't think anyone can say which is best, because we will not all react in the same way to the same visual stimulus. We all have different likes and dislikes, be it food, cars, vacation destinations, etc. As you compare cruises, also look at which ports each itinerary will go to and how long you will be in each port. Obviously, the longer the better.

yes i see this is like the microsoft and java debate LOL.. This is my first alaska cruise and I have been reading that ships don't get close to the glaciers going through glacier bay, but that most often than not ships are able to get pretty close to hubbard (within 500 years to a mile) as well as being able to view and hear the calving that takes place.

it's difficult choice because i'm trying to book in july and my first options are all sold out (princess). I didn't want to sail on Holland b/c i'm taking my daughter and holland isn't know to be very kid friendly, but they are the only ones left with reasonable prices, except that it goes to hubbard instead of glacier bay..

I didn't want to sail on Holland b/c i'm taking my daughter and holland isn't know to be very kid friendlyQUOTE]

Sorry, but this is completely unfounded. All ages do very well on HAL in Alaska. They have excellent kids programs, that are Alaska based, sometimes the ship naturalist is also involved. I would not be making an Alaska cruise choice based on this, frankly.

Budget Queen - obviously i can't provide an informed opinion, but almost every review i've seen on cruise critic from the ship review (statendam for family and children rating of 2), to member reviews that have said they wouldn't take children on HAL b/c it's definitely geared toward older crowd (although HAL is trying to change that), to looking at the "best family cruises" on cruise critical and HAL isn't even listed among the 7 cruise lines that are. And with the "best family ships" on cruise critic, HAL is nowhere to be found.

I definitely don't want to make a decision just based on a child's program, however my daughter has been on 3 cruises (Disney, Carnival and RCC) and she loved their kids programs. Certainly she will have an expectation and I don't want her to not have a good time if it doesn't live up to her previous experiences.

I can only go off what i read and the overwhelming reviews i have seen have been it's not so up to par...(not to mention the ship is one of the oldest sailing there and doesn't have as much up to date amenities), Maybe that's why the cost is so low :)

:eek:

Budget Queen - obviously i can't provide an informed opinion, but almost every review i've seen on cruise critic from the ship review (statendam for family and children rating of 2), to member reviews that have said they wouldn't take children on HAL b/c it's definitely geared toward older crowd (although HAL is trying to change that), to looking at the "best family cruises" on cruise critical and HAL isn't even listed among the 7 cruise lines that are. And with the "best family ships" on cruise critic, HAL is nowhere to be found.

I definitely don't want to make a decision just based on a child's program, however my daughter has been on 3 cruises (Disney, Carnival and RCC) and she loved their kids programs. Certainly she will have an expectation and I don't want her to not have a good time if it doesn't live up to her previous experiences.

I can only go off what i read and the overwhelming reviews i have seen have been it's not so up to par...(not to mention the ship is one of the oldest sailing there and doesn't have as much up to date amenities), Maybe that's why the cost is so low :)

Alaska is a whole other world than the Caribbean (no joke:eek::D)....anything that you read about what a cruiseline is like in the Caribbean is almost 180 degrees different than what it's like in Alaska. Carnival is not a "party" ship in Alaska - don't think you'll find hairy chest contests out by the pool! (It's a little hard to see that hairy chest underneath a turtle neck and a quilted vest).......The passenger ages average higher on all cruiselines in Alaska, but if you go during summer vacation time, all cruiselines will have children. Look at reviews for HAL for the children's program in Alaska only - don't compare to what people have said about any place else at anyother time. :)

Try doing a search on this forum for how people liked HAL for children to Alaska. I do recall reading some very favorable reviews on this forum. Some even said their children preferred HAL over other cruiseline programs. It seems like with fewer children they get more attention. I am not speaking from experience, but I have read a lot on these boards over the last few years. Just like with glacier preference, I imagine it is the same with children's programs. You will have those who like it and those who don't. I guess unless you try for yourself, you won't know. The key is to have a positive attitude with your daughter before and during the trip. Let her help with the planning of port activities and she will real feel she is an important part of this trip.Your attitude will rub off on her. Budget Queen has been on around 20 Alaskan cruises, so she is a wealth of information.

If you are trying to cruise this month, I wouldn't wait much longer as those prices may be gone before you know it.

OP, if you visit the Holland America board, you get positive comments:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=930977

That doesn't mean the positive comments are right and the negative ones are wrong. It just means people have opinions in both camps.

What "modern amenities" or kid friendly items do you think Princess ships (your first choice) have which Statendam lacks? :confused:

I believe BudgetQueen has sailed on almost every line that visit Alaska, and has first hand knowledge.

thanks for all replies. I wasn't intending for this post to get into a conversation about kids programs, but it seems to have :)

When i've looked at other ships, even in alaska not the carribean, they have things such as kinds only pool area (didn't see it on HAL), kids reserved play room (doesn't have reserved space on HAL, use open areas), policies of kids programs (i.e can i drop them off and for how long, do they have sleepovers, does it costs). in HAL I didn't see as much flexibility as some of the others. ALso, the amount of kids specific activities based on age groups. The thing I loved most about princess was fresh water pools. My daughter hates salt water pools. I have read only princess has those, along with retractable domes. Some have water slides (albeit small, but part of the reserved kids only pool area).

I'm definitely not knocking HAL, i'm just trying to put everything in perspective based on the various reviews i've read.. And I have been reading the reviews specific to the alaska cruises and not carribean

thanks for all the comments from everyone, they are helpful

yes i see this is like the microsoft and java debate LOL.. This is my first alaska cruise and I have been reading that ships don't get close to the glaciers going through glacier bay, but that most often than not ships are able to get pretty close to hubbard (within 500 years to a mile) as well as being able to view and hear the calving that takes place.

Now here is a very good example of the dangers of reading message board posts. Any post on this board usually represents a very limited experience -- often only one cruise. People should say, "THE ONE TIME we were there the ship could not get very close." But instead the post winds up, "SHIPS CAN'T get very close."

Any glacier viewing is very dependent on ice conditions. Both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay are sometimes impassable and it is not possible to get very close to the glaciers. Hubbard has a reputation for being unapproachable early in the season, but again IT DEPENDS ON CONDITIONS THAT PARTICULAR DAY! There are no guarantees in either place.

We have been to both, and have been very fortunate to be able to get quite close to the glaciers in each. That was our experience on ONE PARTICULAR DAY. They are both spectacular.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html for Glacier bay and http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html for Hubbard.

Have a GREAT cruise!

thanks for all replies. I wasn't intending for this post to get into a conversation about kids programs, but it seems to have :)

When i've looked at other ships, even in alaska not the carribean, they have things such as kinds only pool area (didn't see it on HAL), kids reserved play room (doesn't have reserved space on HAL, use open areas), policies of kids programs (i.e can i drop them off and for how long, do they have sleepovers, does it costs). in HAL I didn't see as much flexibility as some of the others. ALso, the amount of kids specific activities based on age groups. The thing I loved most about princess was fresh water pools. My daughter hates salt water pools. I have read only princess has those, along with retractable domes. Some have water slides (albeit small, but part of the reserved kids only pool area).

I'm definitely not knocking HAL, i'm just trying to put everything in perspective based on the various reviews i've read.. And I have been reading the reviews specific to the alaska cruises and not carribean

thanks for all the comments from everyone, they are helpful

I guess it boils down to what is most important to you: a better price, or a ship you think your daughter will be happier with. Only you can make that decision.

No idea about pool water on HAL, but our HAL ship did have a retractable dome.

I hope you find a ship and itinerary that suits you well. Alaska is such a beautiful place to visit. When you get back, please post and let us know how your trip went.

We loved Glacier Bay, not only for the glacier viewing, but also for the beautiful scenery getting to and from the glacier. We sat on our balcony watching in awe from the time we woke up till well after the glacier sighting. I don't know enough about Hubbard Glacier. Is there a beautiful cruise to get to the actual glacier like there is in Glacier Bay?

... not meaning to be rude but kids can experience a lot when kids programs are not based on stuff but on creativity and imagination..may be your daughter would benefit from being exposed to other things on an alaska cruise like nature, books , music ..the disney type of concept which caters to kids is not the way we raised our children and it was to their benefit...what I am trying to say ..is that exposing kids to wider experiences is the best thing for them..I say try something different this time ..

Let's try to get this thread back on track...

I am also trying to weed thru possible cruise itineraries.

What we need is not just personal preference, but a good comparison.

Would this be a fair/somewhat correct assessment of the two sites.

Glacier Bay - broad spectacular scenery, smaller glaciers/access The draw is in the broader experience.

Hubbard Glacier - a narrower focus on one huge glacier....

If this is true, then I would tend to choose glacier bay.

But, I can also see the draw of such a mammoth glacier.

A complete PS: to the one other poster... I am really NOT trying to continue the HAL debate.... But, I just wanted to mention.. From my understanding, I completely agree with you that I might hesitate to choose HAL. Just reading the reviews and looking at ships photos, etc... It is NOT just demographics (number of children onboard) It is a palpable difference in the attitude, atmosphere, and offerings between HAL and some of the other lines.

it's difficult choice because i'm trying to book in july and my first options are all sold out (princess). I didn't want to sail on Holland b/c i'm taking my daughter and holland isn't know to be very kid friendly, but they are the only ones left with reasonable prices, except that it goes to hubbard instead of glacier bay..

We just came back from Westerdam. In GB, it gets very close to Margerie Glacier, just a few hundred yards away and saw constant calving. Can't get close enough to Johns Hopkins Glacier due to significant ice float, but the view from the Jaw Point is incredible and one of the best memory.

The first question that needs to be answered if you can is when?

I have been to Hubbard Glacier in late July 05 and May 07. July the weather was tremendous bright sunny day (not necessarily the best for glacier viewing). Not much ice in the water. In May the weather was miserable, the bay was packed with ice, it was cloudy, rainy and foggy. Could get very far. We just came back from Glacier Bay a couple of weeks ago. Cloudy then partial clearing. Pictures for both 05 & 09 can be found by the link in my signature.

If you have never been to either glacier in optimal weather you miss out anyway because each will be even more spectacular. That's why people go over and over again.

Each offers something different. As has been said Hubbard Glacier is the sheer magnitude whereas Glacier Bay has the scenic beauty. If I had done Glacier Bay first I would have been wowed by the scenery and the time at the glaciers would have impress me. If I then went to Hubbard Glacier I would have said Oh My God. But that is my opinion and all of our opinions are different from person to person.

As it turned out I was WOWed by Hubbard Glacier, impressed by Glacier Bay and surprised what I saw at Lamplugh Glacier, won't spoil the surprise.

Can't get close enough to Johns Hopkins Glacier due to significant ice float, but the view from the Jaw Point is incredible and one of the best memory.

Can not get close to the Hopkins glacier because the access is CLOSED every year until Sept, due to it being a harbor seal santuary. The viewing point is 5 miles from the glacier and still an impressive sight. :)

Archived