driving in BC

Sorry for the dumb question.......but I haven't been able to get a definative answer to this:

Is a US driver's license all that's needed in Canada? We take an International License to Europe....but I've been told it's not required in Canada.

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

jj

Sorry for the dumb question.......but I haven't been able to get a definative answer to this:

Is a US driver's license all that's needed in Canada? We take an International License to Europe....but I've been told it's not required in Canada.

jj

I beleive that is correct, but don't quote me. I work in a hotel and for all cash payments on a room we require ID. I have never seen a international drivers license form an american citizen.

Our Canadian licenses have always been sufficient when we are in the US; I'm sure that it works that way in reverse as well. Lots of people cross the border to work and school regularly.....on one country's driver's license.

Our Canadian licenses have always been sufficient when we are in the US; I'm sure that it works that way in reverse as well. Lots of people cross the border to work and school regularly.....on one country's driver's license.

I agree :)

jj

Yes, a US license is all that is needed to drive in Canada. I used to work at a car rental company and we rented cars all the time to US residents, and all we have ever required from them is a valid US driving license and a major credit card.

Yes, a US license is all that is needed to drive in Canada. I used to work at a car rental company and we rented cars all the time to US residents, and all we have ever required from them is a valid US driving license and a major credit card.

thanks all!! great idea, i'll check with hertz (we are picking up a car when disembark Regent in Vancouver)

jj

A US drivers licence is all that is required but it may be advisable to get an International "Pink Slip" from your insurance company if you are relying on your own car's insurance for coverage...you probably won't be asked for it but it just never hurts to have it.

The driver's license should be fine. Check your insurance with your insurance company, but I'm pretty sure you'll find it's OK too.

The age old question;

can I turn right on a red? YES (unless specifically prohibited)

can I turn left on a red? YES, if you're turning onto a one way (from a one or two way). This is the only jurisdiction in Canada where this is permitted.

Yes, I can confirm this, in case OP is still hesitant. I worked for 5 years at a major rental car company in Victoria, BC. Any country's DL is sufficient to rent a car in Canada. It's when you move here permanently that it gets tricky.

Archived