Portofino Wine Dinner Series

I am a solo traveler, so have never been to the specialty restaurants - almost went once with friends I made on board, but it fell through. I am going on AOS in August (8/9), and I notice that there's a Wine Dinner Series in Portofino, and it says "Please plan on being seated with other groups or guests." I think it would make it easier doing it alone to be automatically seated with other people, just like in the MDR.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Am I reading this right, would I (and everyone) be seated at group tables? Is the camaraderie similar to MDR?

2) Is it worth $54.50?? Is the menu the regular Portofino's menu but with wine pairings? It says 4 courses, so if you get a glass of wine with each course (wine is around $6?), that's $24 on top of the $20 (or is it $25?) that Portofino's usually costs. Doesn't add up to $54.50....

(Note to wonderful CC posters: I know no one can tell me if it's worth it for me, that I have to make that decision - I'm asking your opinion! :) )

We did the Wine pairing dinner on the 6-14-09 Mariner cruise. We were not seated with anyone else. I found it strange that except for one table of 4 all the rest of us were seated at tables for 2. Part of the fun of wine dinners is conversing with other wine lovers.

As to whether or not it is worth the price - that is very subjective. DH and I can easily split a bottle of wine at dinner. Since I don't care for many of the lower priced wines on the RCI wine list the cost for our wine can be more than the extra $25 being charged for the wine at the dinner. I found the food to be better than when we have eaten at Portofino's on a regular evening.

2) Is it worth $54.50?? Is the menu the regular Portofino's menu but with wine pairings? It says 4 courses, so if you get a glass of wine with each course (wine is around $6?), that's $24 on top of the $20 (or is it $25?) that Portofino's usually costs. Doesn't add up to $54.50....

I have not been to the Portofino wine dinner, but from what I read here, you basically get all the wine you can drink. Also, the menu choices are limited. Not everything from Portofino is available.

Archived