Mariner or Radiance?

Hello - I have a small delima...I can't decide between the Mariner "Voyager class ship" or Radiance "Radiance class". Most of my cruises have been on the Voyager class ships but I've never been on the Radiance ships. Both Radiance and Mariner are going to Mexico "I got cheated out of Mexico due to swine flu in May" Radiance is a 5 day cruise and Mariner is 7.

Mariner is more expensive but goes to 3 Mexico ports Radiance only 1 good port "Cabo". I guess what it really boils down to...is the Radiance of the Seas worth going on over Mariner?

I appreciate the feedback!

Mariner hands down. I much prefer the Voyager class over the Radiance class, particularly for warm weather cruises, and you get the two extra days and three great ports. If you're really on a budget, then I would do Radiance, but if you can swing it, go for the Mariner for sure. Just my two cents.

I'll have to let you know next December 28th, the day after we get off Mariner. We're also booked for a 5 night Radiance cruise in October, the prices are too good to pass up.... senior rates are $399 PP for a D-1 category, $649 PP for a JS :)

Edit to add, we do have the advantage of being just about half way in between the 2 ports, so no airfare involved. I can't wait to cruise out of San Diego!

Mariner has the skating rink which has mind blowing ice shows, and it's a great venue for the Quest game. Our cruise had Studio B standing room only for the Quest - that's how popular it is.

Mariner also has the Promenade, which Radiance doesn't. When I cruised Radiance the Promenade was sorely missed.

The only thing Radiance has over Mariner is a smaller size with a greater passenger/space ratio, a water slide, and a large amount of window area for great views outside, including a large glass wall for 1 row of elevators.

Thx for the info...another question...I love the Cafe Promenade on the Mariner "except for that smell by the coffee machines" but I see that the Radiance has the Seaview Cafe...are they similiar? Which is better?

I personally like to try different ships to see for myself. That being said, the Cafe' Promenade is totally different than the Seaview Cafe'. CP is open 24/7 and SC has set hours. SC is more of a made to order counter service place. Fish & Chips, reubins, sandwiches, onion rings, soda, beer and more.

They are two totally different ships and I enjoyed both. I went on the Radiance first and I do like the fact that you can see outside almost anywhere you go where as the Mariner felt "enclosed", but I still liked it. I will go on either class ship again but my cruise will be based on itinerary, not the ship. If you just want a quick getaway for a good price and would like to see the Radiance then that's what you should do. If you are looking for a longer cruise and like the ports then go for the Mariner. Both ships are beautiful!!

We have been on both ships ... (plus a few others) .... and I really like the Radiance the best of all the ships I have been on. It could have also been because we had great fun with all the people we met, The M&M folks from cruise critic were wonderful and we are still talking to this day (that was from 2005).

Don't know if I would be happy with a 5 day cruise though ... Really like at least 7. But then again, we can only go on a cruise once a year, and have to fly to everything, so I want as many days as possible on the ship. Jan

We have been on Radiance Class (Serenade twice) and Mariner. While we liked both ships our preference is the Radiance Class ships. I would go with your prefered ininierary. You can't go wrong with either ship.

That's a tough call... we love Mariner, but very slightly prefer the Radiance Class ships over the Voyager Class. I would always choose a 7 night cruise over a 5 night... 7 really isn't even long enough for me at this point. We do need to fly to the port though and since you are in California, I wonder if you are within driving distance? I would be a lot more willing to do a 5 night cruise if I didn't have to pay for a plane ticket.

Plus, the 5 night itinerary really doesn't interest me...

Since you haven't ever sailed on a Radiance Class ship though, I think I'd be very tempted to try it while it's there on the West coast doing the short Mexico itineraries... I don't expect there are going to be any opportunities to do the short Radiance cruises from the West coast after this Fall other than 1 next spring.

Have you considered one of the longer Radiance Mexican Riviera sailings? They've got 10-12 night itineraries that are awesome. That would be the best of both worlds... a great itinerary and the option of trying out a new class of ship.

If the itineraries were equal, I'd choose Radiance over Mariner. However, the itineraries don't appear to be even close, so I would choose Mariner in a heartbeat. We are sailing the MR in February. We had a choice of both ships, but we chose Radiance because it's an 11 nighter opposed to the Mariner 7 night cruise. For us, we get the best of both worlds, a great itinerary and our favourite class of ship.:D

Thanks for the great feedback. I guess you can't go wrong with either ship. The kicker for me is 5 days only but I it's also a good deal right now. Still have time to ponder...clock is ticking though.

Who are you - married couple in your 70s, young couple with kids or somewhere in between? I think Voyager class ships are great for families but for DH and me (in between:)), Radiance wins hands down as a ship. We've been to Mexico multiple times, so the ports don't hold much fascination for us.

If you're a port person, then 7 nights on Mariner would beat the 5 on Radiance. If you're a ship person, then Radiance wins, and I'd try to schedule a B2B on her to make it 10 nights or book one of her longer cruises.

Archived