London to Dover question

I tracked the train, leaving from London Bridge to Dover. It says it has one change, but according to the site, the change is to a bus for the final leg of the trip.
Please can you give us the exact date that you're looking at so that we can see what's happening? This would be unusual for a Friday, as those direct trains from London Bridge to Dover Priory usually operate on every weekday - but scottbee has mentioned possible engineering works between Folkestone and Dover.
Second, on the return trip, we would like to go right into Victoria, but I cannot seem to make that adjustment to the schedule. It wants to bring me back to London Bridge.
If you look at times for Dover Priory to London Victoria, you should be able to see those train times. If you have problems, again let us know the exact date that you're looking at.

If you want to book a trip from London Bridge to Dover Priory but back from Dover Priory to London Victoria, you may need to use "London (all stations)" as your originating point.

Trains from Dover Priory to London Victoria are usually direct, so again we would need more details to know what is going on here.

You need to think about the fact that once you are on a train in England, it is 'do it youself'. No one to advise you when to get off or even how to open the doors other than other passengers.

If stairs are a serious issue for you, then you need to seriously consider the cruise ship transfers.

I travel with very little baggage and can manage it all on my own in all circumstances. If you can't cut back on your baggage, then you need to pay the cruise company for service.

Exactly right. WE were trying to get a train/bus to get us to Dover about or before noon on the 14th, and coming back to London, we were looking at something about 10:00AM from Dover, so there would be no chance we would not be off the ship on time to catch the train/bus back to London.

The hotel we booked on our return is in the vicinity of Victoria Station, so that's why we were interested in returning to Victoria instead of London Bridge. London Bridge wouldn't

be the worst thing, but if we were able to make it simpler by getting to Victoria, it would have been easier. Also, those two transfers seem like a killer, as we do have several pieces of luggage, and I walk with a cane, so hauling them around is not what we were looking for. We just might be better off on the bus, where they will take our luggage and store it for us??? What do you think???

We do have several pieces of luggage, and I walk with a cane, so hauling them around is not what we were looking for. We just might be better off on the bus, where they will take our luggage and store it for us??? What do you think???

You don't 'check in' luggage on either coaches or trains.

With trains you have to carry the luggage aboard and its a free for all finding a place to store luggage in what is really a commuter orientated railway carriage,

With the bus you have to carry/wheel the luggage up to the side of the bus where the driver will load it into the hold.

Have you checked on your roll call to see if anyone is also staying in London & will to share a private car?

This may be better for you if you cannot manage the stairs or your luggage alone.

Worth the few extra BOB for the convenience..

Getting to a certain area is not the worst thing as either myself or my wife take a few things at a time while the other waits with the rest, but if we have to get it all off a train before the doors close or are under a rush to get it somewhere quickly, that could be a deal breaker.

I will try the roll call, but a taxi to the bus might be our best option, and then a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take the train round-trip Victoria-Dover. The platforms for the trains to Dover are on street level, with no stairs to negociate. They have luggage carts (they're the 1-pound coin deposit type, so remember to keep a 1-pound coin!), and if you get there nice and early your train will be waiting with all doors open - just a matter of hauling your bags from the cart onto the train, not very hard really. Can't comment on Dover Priory, but Victoria is one of the more user-friendly London stations IMO.

Giantfan13's posts shows that he's on the Norwegian Jewel's August 14th cruise. So, London-Dover would be Friday, 14 August, and Dover-London, Wednesday, 26th August.
Thanks - that's what I didn't have time to dig into!
Personally, if I were you, I'd take the train round-trip Victoria-Dover.
I agree, given that you can't take the train all the way to Dover Priory on 14 August either from London Bridge or Charing Cross/Waterloo East.

And going back to Victoria seems to be the only direct option on 26 August too - which would suit you.

• 1 month later...
National Rail will take you from London Bridge (LBG) to Dover Priory (DVP). As suggested to you before by Globaliser, this is probably the easiest way for you to get from Hilton tower bridge as you would only need to walk about 300 yards to the train station.

Here is the link to the National Rail Journey Planner to see times and costs: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

When planning your journey, try to plan for the least number of changes to avoid having to lug your suitcases around, and for the convenience.

And the link to their luggage policy: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/luggage_animals.html

As for the luggage on trains, there is a compartment at the end of each car. You would need to be able to handle your luggage on your own on the train. Also, if there is not enough space, you would need to have it next to you and make sure that it is not blocking the aisles.

I understand you have been talking about taking the train from this hotel to Dover .

Our ship will be leaving from Southampton. Would we be able to catch the train right near this hotel also, or have to get ourselves and our luggage over to the Waterloo train station?

Our ship will be leaving from Southampton. Would we be able to catch the train right near this hotel also, or have to get ourselves and our luggage over to the Waterloo train station?
Trains to Southampton go from Waterloo, not London Bridge. So the answer, in short, is you will have to go to Waterloo.

One way of doing it is to get a train from London Bridge to Waterloo East. Then it's a 5-minute walk over a footbridge to get to the main Waterloo station. That's one way of doing it. Or you could just get a taxi to Waterloo.

Archived