Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thanks for all the advice. We will probably be ending at city hall. Looks like there is a bus stop right there. We take 62 and transfer to 76. We don't think the Stockholm card is cost effective for us so will need to buy bus tickets. Is there somewhere by city hall where we can buy them or can we buy them somewhere else in advance? Can we use one ticket for 62 and 76? Appreciate any help you can give me regarding taking the bus back to the ship. Time permitting also not opposed to walking any stretches that might be easier.

Walking from the Palace will get you to City Hall about as quick as going by bus and its much simpler to walk.

Thank you ..and to Ultimate Thule... for the help you are giving us all. Your time and efforts answering our questions will save us all so much time when we visit Stockholm.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. We will probably be ending at city hall. Looks like there is a bus stop right there. We take 62 and transfer to 76. We don't think the Stockholm card is cost effective for us so will need to buy bus tickets. Is there somewhere by city hall where we can buy them or can we buy them somewhere else in advance? Can we use one ticket for 62 and 76? Appreciate any help you can give me regarding taking the bus back to the ship. Time permitting also not opposed to walking any stretches that might be easier.

Forgot to specify the ship is at Frihamnen.

I think the central station would be the closest to buy, from the city hall.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Stockholms+Stadshus+AB,+Hantverkargatan+1,+112+21+Stockholm&daddr=Centralplan&hl=sv&ll=59.328959,18.058294&spn=0.004209,0.016512&sll=59.329788,18.059383&sspn=0.004209,0.016512&geocode=FVpEiQMdIHoTASnpzZKQ33dfRjHAlBORDcmvrg%3BFWFOiQMdrZATAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=prv&z=17

SL has a SL Center (SL Biljetter) on the lower floor. To the left after the lockers when you get down the stairs.

http://www.stationsinfo.se/station/stockholmcentral

Edited by Desdichado62

Thanks. Another question. Apparently there is a harbor ferry that goes from right by the Vasa to Nybroplan but only in the summer? We will be there on May 14. Do you know if it will be running then and where I could find a schedule for that one?

Thanks. Another question. Apparently there is a harbor ferry that goes from right by the Vasa to Nybroplan but only in the summer? We will be there on May 14. Do you know if it will be running then and where I could find a schedule for that one?

I think you mean the ferry operated by Ressel Rederi. It goes from Hammarby Sjöstad, via Djurgården (Allmänna Gränd) to Nybroplan.

From March 29th to September 27th it departs once an hour. (vardagar is weekdays, Helger is weekends).

http://ressel.se/pdf/2013_Tidtabell_Emelie.pdf

There is also Sjövägen that makes a few stops at Djurgården (Allmänna Gränd) on its way to Nybroplan. (vardagar is weekdays, Lör-Sön is weekends).

http://www.sjovagen.nu/getfile.ashx?cid=382035&cc=3&refid=18

Then there is Djurgårdsfärjan but it does only go to Slussen and not to Nybroplan but it does so all year around.

What is the situation regarding currency? Must we have the Swedish Krona for everything?

Pretty much yeah you do. Some stores/shops might accept Euro but it is quite rare.

Edited by Desdichado62

I think you mean the ferry operated by Ressel Rederi. It goes from Hammarby Sjöstad, via Djurgården (Allmänna Gränd) to Nybroplan.

From March 29th to September 27th it departs once an hour. (vardagar is weekdays, Helger is weekends).

http://ressel.se/pdf/2013_Tidtabell_Emelie.pdf

There is also Sjövägen that makes a few stops at Djurgården (Allmänna Gränd) on its way to Nybroplan. (vardagar is weekdays, Lör-Sön is weekends).

http://www.sjovagen.nu/getfile.ashx?cid=382035&cc=3&refid=18

Then there is Djurgårdsfärjan but it does only go to Slussen and not to Nybroplan but it does so all year around.

Pretty much yeah you do. Some stores/shops might accept Euro but it is quite rare.

Thanks. Rick Steves calls it the Nybro ferry. "The Nybro ferry makes the five-minute journey from Nybroplan to Djurgarden, landing next to the Vasa Museum." Shows the hours for June to August but check with TI for off-season schedule.

Thanks. Rick Steves calls it the Nybro ferry. "The Nybro ferry makes the five-minute journey from Nybroplan to Djurgarden, landing next to the Vasa Museum." Shows the hours for June to August but check with TI for off-season schedule.

OK I never heard of it so i googled it and it seems that it is the regular Strömma HoHo sighteseeing boats. At least there is where the website url re-directs.

Just like Rick says from Nybroplan to Djurgården/Vasa but that is becasue Vasa is the first stop on the tour after Nybroplan.

However it does not go directly from Djurgården to Nybroplan but rather the complete sighteseeing tour before coming back to Nybroplan.

http://www.stromma.se/en/STOCKHOLM/Tours/Stockholm-Sightseeing/Boat-Tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

Edited by Desdichado62

OK I never heard of it so i googled it and it seems that it is the regular Strömma HoHo sighteseeing boats. At least there is where the website url re-directs.

Just like Rick says from Nybroplan to Djurgården/Vasa but that is becasue Vasa is the first stop on the tour after Nybroplan.

However it does not go directly from Djurgården to Nybroplan but rather the complete sighteseeing tour before coming back to Nybroplan.

http://www.stromma.se/en/STOCKHOLM/Tours/Stockholm-Sightseeing/Boat-Tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

Thanks for the clarification. I guess that won't work for us since we can't go from Djurgarden to Nybroplan. I think we will stick with the plan of taking the ferry from Allmanna Grand to Slussen.

Just a reminder about the royal wedding at June 8th.

Likely it will mean that Storkyrkan, the church, the royal palace and that

area of Gamla stan might not be as accessible as they normally would.

However the wedding will not be as big or grand as the crown princess wedding three years ago.

Likely it will mean that Storkyrkan, the church, the royal palace and that

area of Gamla stan might not be as accessible as they normally would.

As I understand it the wedding will take place at Slottskyrkan (the palace church) rather than Storkyrkan but as the latter is so close to the palace I assume the result is the same (i.e not accessible).

As I understand it the wedding will take place at Slottskyrkan (the palace church) rather than Storkyrkan but as the latter is so close to the palace I assume the result is the same (i.e not accessible).

Yeah you're right, I had missed that info.

I think Storkyrkan will be open as usual but the Royal Palace will not be and of course Slottskyrkan

will not be open for that day and probably not for the couple of days before the wedding.

The Royal Palace have a list of dates that the Royal apartments are closed:

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/royalpalaces/theroyalpalace/thepalace/visitus/openinghoursentrancefeeguidedtours/closingdates.4.70e7de59130bc8da54e800014307.html

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

We arrive Tues May 21,2013 on the Emerald princess from 7am to 2pm at Frihamnen port. With such a short time I am concerned about how to schedule my day and what modes of transportation would be best.

Would the kiosk on the quay be open that early to buy loose coupons for the bus? Sounds like there might be a shuttle from the quay to the City Hall area but then it would be too early for a city hall tour? Sounds like sjovagen harbour commuter boat has some stops at Frihamnen. Would that be good for departing or returning to Frihamnen?

Is there a combo ticket for the Ho Ho bus and boats and what time would they start? It would be nice to do one boat ride if the weather is good.

My husband really isn't into museums when the visit is very short. He doesn't like to be rushed. Would the Vasa or Royal Palace be better for a quick tour for a man?

I have read directions for getting into town but what are the transit directions for getting back to Frihamnen?

Any advice you could give for transit and time management would be greatly appreciated.:confused::confused::confused:

We arrive Tues May 21,2013 on the Emerald princess from 7am to 2pm at Frihamnen port. With such a short time I am concerned about how to schedule my day and what modes of transportation would be best.

Would the kiosk on the quay be open that early to buy loose coupons for the bus? Sounds like there might be a shuttle from the quay to the City Hall area but then it would be too early for a city hall tour? Sounds like sjovagen harbour commuter boat has some stops at Frihamnen. Would that be good for departing or returning to Frihamnen?

Is there a combo ticket for the Ho Ho bus and boats and what time would they start? It would be nice to do one boat ride if the weather is good.

My husband really isn't into museums when the visit is very short. He doesn't like to be rushed. Would the Vasa or Royal Palace be better for a quick tour for a man?

I have read directions for getting into town but what are the transit directions for getting back to Frihamnen?

Any advice you could give for transit and time management would be greatly appreciated.:confused::confused::confused:

For the ticket-kiosk I do not know when they open.

Sjovägen does have a stop at Frihamnen, however there is one

departure already at 07.04 and if you can make it to that, sjövägen would be a

good option if you want to goto Vasa. The next departure is not until one hour later.

As far as museums and etc, I would go to Vasa first as its not

your avergae museum but rather something that you basically can't see

anywhere else in the world. Then I would head over to Gamla Stan.

You could go there from Vasa by either bus or with the harbour ferries

called Djurgardsfärjan.

For the return trip back to the ship it depends where you decide to go,

but if you decide to go to Vasa and then Gamla Stan, Bus 76 towards

Ropsten has a stop in front of the Royal Palace and it will take you back to the ship.

Looking at the Sjovagen schedule you gave me the link to, it looks like if we get out of the Vasa in time we can go back to Allamanna Grand and catch the Sjovagen at 11:32 and take it to Nybroplan. From there we can walk to Gamla Stan? Then we can walk back there in the afternoon and take Sjovagen back to Frihamnen.

Also, how long would the walk be from the Vasa to the Palace?

Looking at the Sjovagen schedule you gave me the link to, it looks like if we get out of the Vasa in time we can go back to Allamanna Grand and

catch the Sjovagen at 11:32 and take it to Nybroplan. From there we can walk to Gamla Stan? Then we can walk back there in the afternoon and

take Sjovagen back to Frihamnen.

Also, how long would the walk be from the Vasa to the Palace?

Sure you can walk from Nybroplan to Gamla Stan.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Nybrohamnen&daddr=Slottsbacken&hl=sv&ll=59.330935,18.08414&spn=0.014513,0.05918&sll=59.331964,18.078266&sspn=0.001814,0.007398&geocode=FcBWiQMdXtMTAQ%3BFUU_iQMdr8UTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=18&z=15

From Vasa its a little bit over 2km to the Royal Palace.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Vasamuseet,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+14,+115+21+Stockholm&daddr=Slottsbacken&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.328352,18.084226&spn=0.014514,0.05918&sll=59.326135,18.07737&sspn=0.003629,0.014795&geocode=FQhHiQMdrQ4UASmvKYNtVJ1fRjFBMsG08Zrwzw%3BFUU_iQMdr8UTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=15

As long as the departing times matches the time you need to be back at the ship, Sjövägen can be used to get back to Frihamnen.

*edit, I just read that Sjövägen apparently have stopped selling tickets on-board their boats so tickets will be needed to be bought before going on board.

At Frihamnen Gärdets Tobak & Spel, Sandhamnsgatan 35 is the closest.

This will cause problems for you. As they don't open until 9am on weekdays and 10am on Saturdays. and they are closed on Sundays.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=G%C3%A4rdets+Tobak+%26+Spel,+Sandhamnsgatan+35&ie=UTF8&ll=59.343098,18.111176&spn=0.003512,0.014795&hq=G%C3%A4rdets+Tobak+%26+Spel,+Sandhamnsgatan+35&radius=15000&t=h&z=17

At frihamnen 7-Eleven Birjer Jarlsgatan 2 is the place to buy tickets.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=7-Eleven+Birger+Jarlsgatan+2&hl=sv&ll=59.336122,18.091264&spn=0.014051,0.05918&sll=59.343098,18.111176&sspn=0.003512,0.014795&t=h&hq=7-Eleven+Birger+Jarlsgatan+2&z=15

Edited by Desdichado62

Desdichado, You previously recommended the following itinerary. Is the first day all walking from sight to sight or can we use public transportation? On the second day, is there public transport from Vasa to Millesgarten and back to Gamla Stan? I believe that I read the bus 76 does not run on Sunday. Is that so? I believe a map was posted with sights and transport but I am having trouble locating it.

Day 1:

Start with the City Hall and there 10am tour then continue to the Royal Palace and perhaps one/some of the small museums

before watching changing of the guards. Then do Gamla Stan and finish the day with the Nobel museum. During June and July

Nobel museum does not close until 20.00. Also be early for changing of the guards as it can be quite crowded during the summer.

Changing of the guards is daily, Mon-Sat at 12.15(pm) and Sun at 13.15.

Day 2

do Vasa first then Millesgården and then possible other sightseeing/shopping.

I did not have time to edit my previous post so here it is.

You previously recommended the following itinerary. Is the first day all walking from sight to sight or can we use public transportation? On the second day, is there public transport from Vasa to Millesgarten and back to Gamla Stan? I believe that I read the bus 76 does not run on Sunday. Is that so? If so, would it impact which sights we would see on either day. I believe a map was posted with sights and transport but I am having trouble locating it. We would also like to visit Drottningham and Ostermalm. How would these sights fit into schedule below if there is time. We also have a bit of time in the morning of day 3.

Day 1:

Start with the City Hall and there 10am tour then continue to the Royal Palace and perhaps one/some of the small museums

before watching changing of the guards. Then do Gamla Stan and finish the day with the Nobel museum. During June and July

Nobel museum does not close until 20.00. Also be early for changing of the guards as it can be quite crowded during the summer.

Day 2

Do Vasa first then Millesgården and then possible other sightseeing/shopping.

Sure you can walk from Nybroplan to Gamla Stan.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Nybrohamnen&daddr=Slottsbacken&hl=sv&ll=59.330935,18.08414&spn=0.014513,0.05918&sll=59.331964,18.078266&sspn=0.001814,0.007398&geocode=FcBWiQMdXtMTAQ%3BFUU_iQMdr8UTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=18&z=15

From Vasa its a little bit over 2km to the Royal Palace.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Vasamuseet,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+14,+115+21+Stockholm&daddr=Slottsbacken&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.328352,18.084226&spn=0.014514,0.05918&sll=59.326135,18.07737&sspn=0.003629,0.014795&geocode=FQhHiQMdrQ4UASmvKYNtVJ1fRjFBMsG08Zrwzw%3BFUU_iQMdr8UTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=15

As long as the departing times matches the time you need to be back at the ship, Sjövägen can be used to get back to Frihamnen.

*edit, I just read that Sjövägen apparently have stopped selling tickets on-board their boats so tickets will be needed to be bought before going on board.

At Frihamnen Gärdets Tobak & Spel, Sandhamnsgatan 35 is the closest.

This will cause problems for you. As they don't open until 9am on weekdays and 10am on Saturdays. and they are closed on Sundays.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=G%C3%A4rdets+Tobak+%26+Spel,+Sandhamnsgatan+35&ie=UTF8&ll=59.343098,18.111176&spn=0.003512,0.014795&hq=G%C3%A4rdets+Tobak+%26+Spel,+Sandhamnsgatan+35&radius=15000&t=h&z=17

At frihamnen 7-Eleven Birjer Jarlsgatan 2 is the place to buy tickets.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=7-Eleven+Birger+Jarlsgatan+2&hl=sv&ll=59.336122,18.091264&spn=0.014051,0.05918&sll=59.343098,18.111176&sspn=0.003512,0.014795&t=h&hq=7-Eleven+Birger+Jarlsgatan+2&z=15

Thanks for pointing that out! I assume there is something on their website saying where we can buy tickets? Did you mean that 7-Eleven is the place to buy tickets at Nybroplan?

Can we buy tickets for Djurgardsfarjan on the boat or at least at the dock if we decide to go that route?

Is there somewhere in Gamla Stan where we can buy bus tickets if we decide to take the bus back to the Frihamnen? If so are they time sensitive, meaning do we have to use them within a certain time of buying them or can we just buy them whenever we find a place that sells them?

We could probably do everything on foot if we have to but since this will be our last port we might be tired of walking.

I did not have time to edit my previous post so here it is.

You previously recommended the following itinerary. Is the first day all walking from sight to sight or can we use public transportation? On the second day, is there public transport from Vasa to Millesgarten and back to Gamla Stan? I believe that I read the bus 76 does not run on Sunday. Is that so? If so, would it impact which sights we would see on either day. I believe a map was posted with sights and transport but I am having trouble locating it. We would also like to visit Drottningham and Ostermalm. How would these sights fit into schedule below if there is time. We also have a bit of time in the morning of day 3.

Day 1:

Day 2

Do Vasa first then Millesgården and then possible other sightseeing/shopping.

Day 1:

For the first leg from your ship to the City Hall it depends on where your you depart from. Ship? Airport? Hotel?

Then for the Royal Palace, Gamla Stan and Nobel Museum, just walk the short distance, or use blue bus #3

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Stockholms+Stadshus+AB,+Hantverkargatan+1,+112+21+Stockholm&daddr=59.3276012,18.0639195+to:59.3258189,18.0695531+to:Slottsbacken+to:Stortorget&hl=sv&ll=59.328209,18.06854&spn=0.007235,0.02959&sll=59.324761,18.073486&sspn=0.003618,0.014795&geocode=FVpEiQMdIHoTASnpzZKQ33dfRjHAlBORDcmvrg%3BFXFEiQMdL6ITASllI416X51fRjGFfvCsYjKMYA%3BFXo9iQMdMbgTASn7dMdz4ndfRjFIk1vAYjYcag%3BFWQ-iQMdbMITAQ%3BFbM6iQMdfLwTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mi&mrsp=4&sz=17&via=1,2&z=16

For day 2:

Again how to get to Vasa depends on where you are Staying.

From Vasamuseet to Millesgården and From Millesgården to Drottningholm use the Journey planner to fins your connections:

You might be able to squeeze in Östermalmshallen at the end of day 2 but far from certain. the close at 6pm mon-thu, 7pm Fri, 4pm Sat sun closed.

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/en?

Locations: https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Vasamuseet,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+14,+115+21+Stockholm&daddr=Millesg%C3%A5rden,+Herserudsv%C3%A4gen,+Liding%C3%B6+to:Drottningholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.337042,18.05706&spn=0.115734,0.473442&sll=59.346058,18.1077&sspn=0.057852,0.236721&geocode=FQhHiQMdrQ4UASmvKYNtVJ1fRjFBMsG08Zrwzw%3BFR6-iQMdqogUASFUOQvwA5320im9CdA304JfRjFUOQvwA5320g%3BFSc8iQMdufUQASkL61snpXVfRjEu7ERilufl_w&oq=Drottni&t=h&mra=ls&z=12

bus route map of the central areas of Stockholm: http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2013.html

Edited by Desdichado62

Thanks for pointing that out! I assume there is something on their website saying where we can buy tickets? Did you mean that 7-Eleven is the place to buy tickets at Nybroplan?

Can we buy tickets for Djurgardsfarjan on the boat or at least at the dock if we decide to go that route?

Is there somewhere in Gamla Stan where we can buy bus tickets if we decide to take the bus back to the Frihamnen? If so are they time sensitive, meaning do we have to use them within a certain time of buying them or can we just buy them whenever we find a place that sells them?

We could probably do everything on foot if we have to but since this will be our last port we might be tired of walking.

For Sjövägen tickets can be bought:

At Frihamnen Gärdets Tobak & Spel, Sandhamnsgatan 35.

They don't open until 9am on weekdays and 10am on Saturdays. and they are closed on Sundays.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=G%C3%A...15000&t=h&z=17

At Nybroplan 7-Eleven Birjer Jarlsgatan 2 is the place to buy tickets.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=7-Elev...lsgatan+2&z=15

Djurgårdsfärjan tickets are sold at the dock;

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Allm%C3%A4nna+gr%C3%A4nd,+115+21+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.324215,18.095084&spn=0.000322,0.000925&geocode=FRg4iQMdtiAUAQ&hnear=Allm%C3%A4nna+gr%C3%A4nd,+115+21+Stockholm&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=59.324208,18.095143&panoid=aBRm30TwcTi_XolnYF8WkQ&cbp=12,243.11,,1,2.72

search for tickets or my username in this thread and you will have info about where to buy bus tickets in Gamla Stan.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at SL tickets so hopefully some of the others can help you.

Edited by Desdichado62

We are staying at Courtyard Marriott. I don't believe it is close to city center but do not know how to get to Day 1 and 2 sights from hotel.

Also do you know a economical yet speedy way (other thana taxi) to get to hotel from Arlanda Airport. Thank you

We are staying at Courtyard Marriott. I don't believe it is close to city center but do not know how to get to Day 1 and 2 sights from hotel.

Also do you know a economical yet speedy way (other than a taxi) to get to hotel from Arlanda Airport. Thank you

Ok, So you're departing from the hotel both days?

You're hotel is about 2km west of the City Hall.

You could either walk the entire distance

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&daddr=59.3306533,18.0216274+to:59.328469,18.028722+to:59.3269015,18.0398698+to:59.3266071,18.045461+to:Ragnar+%C3%96stbergs+plan&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.325593,18.045945&spn=0.014515,0.05918&sll=59.326847,18.040205&sspn=0.003629,0.014795&geocode=FUdSiQMd8vsSAQ%3BFV1QiQMd-_wSASl9nsMb1XdfRjHtVtOKFaGC-A%3BFdVHiQMdshgTASkJfW-O1ndfRjHQy4k2R1w8Aw%3BFbVBiQMdPUQTASnLhz2w2XdfRjFT9vf2EMghXA%3BFY9AiQMdFVoTASlhPqEY2XdfRjGnv18Ck6k91Q%3BFctDiQMdtXcTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=17&via=1,2,3,4&z=15

or you could take bus #62 towards Storängsbotten from Mariebergsgatan (stop located on Drottningholmsvägen),

get off at Stadshuset. Mariebergsgatan stop:

https://maps.google.se/maps?hl=sv&ll=59.331717,18.023837&spn=0.000645,0.001849&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=59.331661,18.02397&panoid=18Fjx-NQhzO9FwiOB-gtYg&cbp=12,101.02,,0,11.22

For day 2 first leg:

Goto Mariebergsgatan stop, take Blue Bus #1 towards Frihamnen, get off at Humlegården (på Karlavägen)

from there take bus #44 towards Skansen. Get off at Nordiska museet and walk a few hundret meters to Vasa.

For airport transfer there is:

Arlanda Express: https://www.arlandaexpress.com/start.aspx

Airport Coaches: http://flygbussarna.se/en/arlanda

SL commuter train #38 towards Älvsjö, get off at Stockholms Central.

Extra-fees might be charged for the commuter train.