Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

One additional question, please. We will need a total of 6 loose coupons for each adult for our 3 journeys. Is it possible to purchase all of those at once (i.e. at the quay-side) since the driver is the one that "activates" it by stamping the coupons. I thought I would save time here initially by getting all the coupons for journeys later in the day, rather than searching out a 7-11 or other convenience store. I just want to make sure the simple purchase of the coupons doesn't "activiate" them.

Thank you again for your help!

Melissa

I asked this question when I called them and the man who answered confirmed that you can buy the coupons you need in the morning and then you present two coupons per person to the driver as you enter each bus.

Hi! Are you doing this ticket option instead of the HOHO? Do you find that it's time and cost effective vs the HOHO?

I want to save as much money as possible, but I fear the bus will be slower than other forms of transportation such as shuttles, HOHO. What do you think? Thanks for your input!

Hi! Are you doing this ticket option instead of the HOHO? Do you find that it's time and cost effective vs the HOHO?

I want to save as much money as possible, but I fear the bus will be slower than other forms of transportation such as shuttles, HOHO. What do you think? Thanks for your input!

If you plan to go from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum in the morning bus 76 runs every 8 minutes according to the present timetable. There will be a new timetable for the summer months. The ride from Frihamnen to Djurgårdsbron should take 8 minutes, but then of course there is a short walk too. To get from Frihamnen to Gamla Stan should take around 20 minutes.

I don’t know if the Norwegian Star will have a shuttle, but when a cruise line does have a shuttle it usually drops people off near the Royal Opera Building. This is nowhere close to the Vasa Museum.

The Ho/Ho Bus is really a sightseeing bus and will take you around more slowly and maybe not directly from the port to the Vasa. Right now it runs at intervals from 30 to 60 minutes but I am sure it will be more frequent in June. But it will not be quicker.

Here is a map where you can see where bus 76 goes as well as the port and the main sights:

https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

My concern with the HOHO buses is trying to get back on them later in the day. Once in San Diego, we were at one of the last stops on the loop. Every bus came by full. I've seen some negative comments on tripadvisor of this same situation occurring- full or infrequent buses. We will be in Stockholm with 4 other ships. It makes me nervous about using the HOHO bus.

My concern with the HOHO buses is trying to get back on them later in the day. Once in San Diego, we were at one of the last stops on the loop. Every bus came by full. I've seen some negative comments on tripadvisor of this same situation occurring- full or infrequent buses. We will be in Stockholm with 4 other ships. It makes me nervous about using the HOHO bus.

Yikes. I did not know this. My father in law is 75 and has a bit of a bad ankle at times. Do you think he would have trouble riding this bus and walking to the Vasa and then back on the bus for Gamla Stan, etc? I'm just picturing a NY style city bus...

If you plan to go from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum in the morning bus 76 runs every 8 minutes according to the present timetable. There will be a new timetable for the summer months. The ride from Frihamnen to Djurgårdsbron should take 8 minutes, but then of course there is a short walk too. To get from Frihamnen to Gamla Stan should take around 20 minutes.

I don’t know if the Norwegian Star will have a shuttle, but when a cruise line does have a shuttle it usually drops people off near the Royal Opera Building. This is nowhere close to the Vasa Museum.

The Ho/Ho Bus is really a sightseeing bus and will take you around more slowly and maybe not directly from the port to the Vasa. Right now it runs at intervals from 30 to 60 minutes but I am sure it will be more frequent in June. But it will not be quicker.

Here is a map where you can see where bus 76 goes as well as the port and the main sights:

https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

Thanks so much for all your info about the buses. Using bus 76 has been my choice of travel except for the fact that there is no TI office at Vartahamnen to purchase either a travel pass or individual tickets. Would it be possible to find out if they plan to sell bus tickets at Vartahamnen when cruise ships are in port there? Would payment be in SEK? Again, the problem is having an American credit card without a chip. Thank you.

For those that were adding and subtracting cities on Alla in addition to the Grand SPB tour, what's the price of adding Berlin? I might switch tour companies because I booked wih a company who gave me a good price based on recruiting about 7 others. I have been posting on my roll call for 6 months (since last September), and I have not received one inquiry or response to the tours. :( I don't want to get stuck paying a high price because my roll call is dead.

Our cruise is July 9th. No excuse- people should have been responding by now, so I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Not sure who you are booked with but I know TJ Travel also has tours in other ports you can add on and I believe SPB tours does too. I think the price difference might be due to having a private tour vs. a tour group made by the tour company. Just things to keep in mind/check when comparing prices.

As far as dead roll calls mine is too for August. I figure people just aren't as compulsive as I am when it comes to planning a trip.

Thanks so much for all your info about the buses. Using bus 76 has been my choice of travel except for the fact that there is no TI office at Vartahamnen to purchase either a travel pass or individual tickets. Would it be possible to find out if they plan to sell bus tickets at Vartahamnen when cruise ships are in port there? Would payment be in SEK? Again, the problem is having an American credit card without a chip. Thank you.

I know that not everyone likes to open multiple credit card accounts but Bank of America and Chase are 2 that I know of over here that have the chip cards now.

I know that not everyone likes to open multiple credit card accounts but Bank of America and Chase are 2 that I know of over here that have the chip cards now.

Chase cards are chip and signature cards, not chip and pin...pin is for ATM use only... See question 4 here:

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/smart-chip-card.htm

Would you be able to place an order for a certain amount of SEK to cover you for the day so that you can pay cash for bus tickets? If we had problems with chip cards, that's what we would do. Not sure if that's an option for you...

I asked this question when I called them and the man who answered confirmed that you can buy the coupons you need in the morning and then you present two coupons per person to the driver as you enter each bus.

Thank you, North-bound! I very much appreciate all your help in planning our day in Stockholm.

Melissa

Does anyone know if the bus still stops next to the Stadsgarden dock across the parking lot of the pier (Londonviadukten)and is the cut through to the bus stop paved now? Also, if the timetables for the buses are available for May 31st as of yet? Our plan is to take the bus from Stadsgarden to the Slussen station, transfer there to bus 3 that goes to City Hall then bus 62 from City Hall to Vasa. Does this sound correct? I appreciate any assistance. Thank you. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Does anyone know if the bus still stops next to the Stadsgarden dock across the parking lot of the pier (Londonviadukten)and is the cut through to the bus stop paved now? Also, if the timetables for the buses are available for May 31st as of yet? Our plan is to take the bus from Stadsgarden to the Slussen station, transfer there to bus 3 that goes to City Hall then bus 62 from City Hall to Vasa. Does this sound correct? I appreciate any assistance. Thank you. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Bus stop still exists, but I can only do a search for April 12 or earlier.

And i think there will be several buses passing by Londonviadukten and I think all stops at Slussen.

Correct Blue bus 3 goes to the City Hall from Slussen. However bus 62 no longer goes to Vasa.

From City Hall you will have to take bus 62 to Nybroplan and switch to tram 7 with destination DJURGÅRDEN Waldemarsudde. Then get off at the stop called Nordiska Museet/Vasamuseet.

Edited by Desdichado62

Bus stop still exists, but I can only do a search for April 12 or earlier.

And i think there will be several buses passing by Londonviadukten and I think all stops at Slussen.

Correct Blue bus 3 goes to the City Hall from Slussen. However bus 62 no longer goes to Vasa.

From City Hall you will have to take bus 62 to Nybroplan and switch to tram 7 with destination DJURGÅRDEN Waldemarsudde. Then get off at the stop called Nordiska Museet/Vasamuseet.

Wow, I am glad I checked again with you! Thank you so much for the updated information. I have revised my notes reflecting the change in the bus 62 route and adding the tram route from Nybroplan. Is this difficult to do? Would you suggest another way to get to Vasa from City Hall? From Vasa we were going to head over to the Royal Palace. Would the the tram 7 to Nybroplan to catch the 76 bus still be the easiest way to get over there? Thanks again for all your assistance.

Dolfans from Miami

Wow, I am glad I checked again with you! Thank you so much for the updated information. I have revised my notes reflecting the change in the bus 62 route and adding the tram route from Nybroplan. Is this difficult to do? Would you suggest another way to get to Vasa from City Hall? From Vasa we were going to head over to the Royal Palace. Would the the tram 7 to Nybroplan to catch the 76 bus still be the easiest way to get over there? Thanks again for all your assistance.

Dolfans from Miami

There no alternative that makes it easier.

Hypothetically the lines and their routes could change again

with the new time table so you'll have to check before you leave.

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=1&ident=8e.0955753.1363213211&OK#focus

There is also an app called STHLM Traveling (SL) available at Google play.

However according to some reviews it occasionally shows the wrong times.

If we stayed out at the Courtyard, can we easily get around? Is it near "anything?" I reaslly need to use some Marriott points. I understand taxis are very expensive. I wonder if they have a shuttle to the important parts of Stockholm.

If we stayed out at the Courtyard, can we easily get around? Is it near "anything?" I reaslly need to use some Marriott points. I understand taxis are very expensive. I wonder if they have a shuttle to the important parts of Stockholm.

The Mariott Courtyard is in an area with a lot of traffic and nothing very interesting near the hotel. The way to get around in Stockholm is by public transport and there is a Metro station not far from the hotel. And then there are bus stops also. Remember that for a bus you need a ticket or a transport card before you enter the bus.

From Vasa we were going to head over to the Royal Palace. Would the the tram 7 to Nybroplan to catch the 76 bus still be the easiest way to get over there?

Unless you find it difficult to walk bus 76 has a stop just a short walk from the Vasa Museum. Then you don't have to first take the tram and then change to the bus. The tram can sometimes be very crowded during the summer, it is not always possible to get on and people have to wait for next one.

The stop is just across the bridge from the museum, here is a map: https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

Thanks for this information. We did plan on converting money before we arrived but...is there an ATM at Freeport terminal?

Unless you find it difficult to walk bus 76 has a stop just a short walk from the Vasa Museum. Then you don't have to first take the tram and then change to the bus. The tram can sometimes be very crowded during the summer, it is not always possible to get on and people have to wait for next one.

The stop is just across the bridge from the museum, here is a map: https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

Thank you once again, north-bound, for the excellent information! I had originally planned this route on the sl journey planner and it suggested the tram to Nybroplan. It did not give me the option that you are suggesting but I would much rather do it your way! :)

Dolfans from Miami

As my recent posts have indicated, I have been concerned about how to get into the city from Vartahamnen... considering the #76 bus, the HOHO bus, cruise shuttle or a tour. For the first time when I went to your map, I zoomed in on Vartahamnen and clicked on the bus 76 stop and went to the street view, it appears the closest bus stop is not easily accessible from the dock because it really is a ferry terminal. It appears the terminal is fenced in with no easy access from the bus stop. Am I right to abandon the idea of using public transportation for Vartahamnen?

Thanks for this information. We did plan on converting money before we arrived but...is there an ATM at Freeport terminal?

I don't think there is an ATM at Frihamnen port. But it has been a long time since I last had a look around there. Anyway, today the normal way to pay here in Sweden is a card, and I would be very surprised if you will need any local currency if you want to buy bus tickets in the kiosk on the quay. Some small places may not take cards.

As my recent posts have indicated, I have been concerned about how to get into the city from Vartahamnen... considering the #76 bus, the HOHO bus, cruise shuttle or a tour. For the first time when I went to your map, I zoomed in on Vartahamnen and clicked on the bus 76 stop and went to the street view, it appears the closest bus stop is not easily accessible from the dock because it really is a ferry terminal. It appears the terminal is fenced in with no easy access from the bus stop. Am I right to abandon the idea of using public transportation for Vartahamnen?

I have to confess I have never been to Värtahamnen port area. So I can not give you a very clear answer. The port area where cruise ships dock is normally fenced in, it is the same at Frihamnen and Stadsgården too. But there is an opening where cruise passengers can come and go. So I guess it has to be the same at Värtahamnen. The bus stop must be outside the fence.

There is one person who posts here, "Ultima Thule" who I know is familiar with this port and may have a better answer. Most of the time this poster answers questions on the thread about Finland.