Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Yeah I did the Brunch cruise with Strömma Kanalbolag's S/S Stockholm two years ago and i really liked it.

The food was great (especially the deserts) and the ships interior was very stylish.

Thanks for the reply, we think we will do this, it sounds like fun.

I am our famiy/group's leader and planner. 3 of us are 30 and my in-laws are 50 and 75 yrs old.

Do you think I can drag them around DIY Stockholm by using the HOHO to do Vasa, Gamla Stan and (views from tower in city hall + city hall tour) and then Royal Palace?

If it were just my husband and I, I wouldn't think twice, but I worry about getting our group of 5 around since we're different ages/speeds.

What do you think - I'm an experienced traveler - can we handle DIY or should we book a tour?

I am our famiy/group's leader and planner. 3 of us are 30 and my in-laws are 50 and 75 yrs old.

Do you think I can drag them around DIY Stockholm by using the HOHO to do Vasa, Gamla Stan and (views from tower in city hall + city hall tour) and then Royal Palace?

If it were just my husband and I, I wouldn't think twice, but I worry about getting our group of 5 around since we're different ages/speeds.

What do you think - I'm an experienced traveler - can we handle DIY or should we book a tour?

I'd suggest a DIY, Stockholm is fairly simple to do by yourself.

On Eurodam June 16, dock at Stadsgarden @ 0800. It appears that the HOHO boat would serve our DIY needs best. After looking at the map & reading previous posts I still have some questions.

Have read that in the early morning, they will run directly to the Vasa without making other stops. True? If so what is start time? Since Vasa opens @ 0830 early boats would be an advantage.

Also considering a Stockholm card ~$77pp vs individual museum prices. Does the Stockholm card cover the HOHO boat?

I think I have answered my question that the Stockholm card does not cover the HOHO boat.

Probably only 3 attractions we will go to with approx prices are Vasa $20, Royal palace $24. Fotografiska $12.5 (seniors). Maybe the Armory $14. Total $70.5 vs card at $77. Card OK if more than 9 hours IMO.

Just wondering about the fact that the Ice Bar has said that all tickets are blocked from opening till 2:30 for cruise ship tours......do they open up any of those tickets on the day if the cruise ships do not use them all?

Also could you just walk in on the day, if not full?

Do not want to do the cruise ship tour, but would like to see the Ice Bar/

I think I have answered my question that the Stockholm card does not cover the HOHO boat.

Probably only 3 attractions we will go to with approx prices are Vasa $20, Royal palace $24. Fotografiska $12.5 (seniors). Maybe the Armory $14. Total $70.5 vs card at $77. Card OK if more than 9 hours IMO.

We purchased the Stockholm cards and had them shipped to our home. We are planning on doing Vasa, Viking Museum, City Hall Tour and Royal Armory. But then again, we plan on utilizing the public transportation so it was worth it for us to get the cards. We figured the convenience of not having to deal with purchasing admission/public transportation tickets and the time we would save would be worth it. The public transportation seems easy enough to navigate throughout the city with a little upfront research on the bus/tram schedules. I have read others on this thread discussing the HO HO boats being the quickest way to get to Vasa from Langeline (incorrect spelling I am sure) Pier so you may want to check where your ship is docked to weigh out your options. Also, for now, we are the only ship in port and are traveling in early June so less crowds from what I have been told. Best of luck in your planning and enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

We purchased the Stockholm cards and had them shipped to our home. We are planning on doing Vasa, Viking Museum, City Hall Tour and Royal Armory. But then again, we plan on utilizing the public transportation so it was worth it for us to get the cards. We figured the convenience of not having to deal with purchasing admission/public transportation tickets and the time we would save would be worth it. The public transportation seems easy enough to navigate throughout the city with a little upfront research on the bus/tram schedules. I have read others on this thread discussing the HO HO boats being the quickest way to get to Vasa from Langeline (incorrect spelling I am sure) Pier so you may want to check where your ship is docked to weigh out your options. Also, for now, we are the only ship in port and are traveling in early June so less crowds from what I have been told. Best of luck in your planning and enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks Dolfans, used to live in FL, Nole fan.

We are also only ship in port - mid June so that will help. :)

Agree using public transit would tip in favor of the Stockholm card. May consider that.

Remaining question is whether HOHO boats go to Vasa directly from Stadsgarden before normal 1000 start time??

Oh boy, Nole fan! I am a Cane through and through! Been to some exciting rival games between the two teams back in the Orange Bowl days! I actually have worked for UM going on 15 years! Anyway, I do believe the HO HO boats start early when there is a ship in port and go directly to Vasa. There are 2 different companies, I believe, that offer this service. If you peruse through earlier posts on this thread you will find loads of info on this specific topic. I recall even seeing pictures on where the HO HO boats are docked with arrows to point you in the right direction! Anyways, best of luck and you are certainly in the right place to seek out information! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Here is an example of a previous post from July/2012 at around page 56...

Originally Posted by Natalie3

I am sure this has been asked many times but I need to finish my research on Stockholm. We arrive at the Stadsgarden port at 9 am. and wish to go to Vasa, Changing of the Guard and Gama Stan. What is the quickest and cheapest way to get to Vasa? What would the cost of transportation be? Once back from Vasa, we will probably walk everywhere else. Thanks!

I recommend the HOHO boats that run directly from Stadsgarden. Follow the red and yellow lines painted on the sidewalk. It costs 100 SEK for a 24 hour pass. There are two companies (yellow - every 20 minutes, and black - every 30 minutes). In the early morning, they will run directly to the Vasa without making other stops. We did that at 8 am, not sure how late they make that exception. From the Vasa, you can easily hop back on and get off at Gamla Stan or the Palace, the back to the ship when ready. (It's a very short walk through Gamla Stan to the palace.) An added benefit was the narrated tour through headphones onboard the boats, interesting and informative.

Dolfans from Miami

I'm a total Miamian through and through (not a Canes fan, though). But born and raised in Miami! I've been in NYC now for 5 years, but Miami is home still.

Just wanted to add that. I'm also planning Stockholm but had to jump in to the Miami talk. I worked around the corner from the Orange Bowl for 7 years (SW 1st street).

I'm a total Miamian through and through (not a Canes fan, though). But born and raised in Miami! I've been in NYC now for 5 years, but Miami is home still.

Just wanted to add that. I'm also planning Stockholm but had to jump in to the Miami talk. I worked around the corner from the Orange Bowl for 7 years (SW 1st street).

Thanks for popping in to say hi, fellow Miamian! I actually work right around the corner from the old Orange Bowl (now new home to our Miami Marlins baseball team)! I am at the University of Miami Medical Campus by Jackson Memorial Hospital! Small world! :). Enjoy your cruise as well!

Dolfans from Miami

We arrive in Stockholm on Tuesday, May 21 aboard the Emerald Princess. Sad to say we will only be there from 7AM to 2PM. If we leave the ship around 8 and have to be back on board at 1:30, we will have very little time to see this wonderful city. Since most attractions will not open until 10AM, we were trying to decide how to spend these few hours. Would love to see the Vasa, Skansen and Gamla Stan. I am sure we cannot see all of these in the time allotted. Could you help us with where we could best spend our time and transportation to get there? As you can tell we like the historical aspects of the city. Thanks

Patsy

Patsy

We arrive in Stockholm on Tuesday, May 21 aboard the Emerald Princess. Sad to say we will only be there from 7AM to 2PM. If we leave the ship around 8 and have to be back on board at 1:30, we will have very little time to see this wonderful city. Since most attractions will not open until 10AM, we were trying to decide how to spend these few hours. Would love to see the Vasa, Skansen and Gamla Stan. I am sure we cannot see all of these in the time allotted. Could you help us with where we could best spend our time and transportation to get there? As you can tell we like the historical aspects of the city. Thanks

Patsy

Patsy

I thought the Vasa opens at 8:30a beginning June 1st or something like that (?)

If I were you, I'd book a private tour immediately. They will for sure maximize all of your time in Stockholm. We were in Corfu Greece from 7a-2p last year with about a 45 min drive to and from the port. They still extremely maximized our time in the private tour, and I never felt rushed. We even did a side boat tour with plenty of time to spare to walk around Old Corfu at 12p. It was awesome. We could have never done that ourselves in that short time.

I'm sure you can see the Vasa first thing in the morning for two hours and then they can drive you to the old town and show you everything you need to see and get you to the ship right on time. That's what the companies are there for.

Edited by Millenia98

Patsy

Patsy

I see your problem with your May arrival and short visiting time. If the Vasa is the most important item and you don't want to waste time waiting in line, you might consider getting a group of 9 or more from your roll call and prebook a tour. The website says its 600SEK and I assume that's for the 9+ people. It would be one way of assuring a timely visit.

I see your problem with your May arrival and short visiting time. If the Vasa is the most important item and you don't want to waste time waiting in line, you might consider getting a group of 9 or more from your roll call and prebook a tour. The website says its 600SEK and I assume that's for the 9+ people. It would be one way of assuring a timely visit.

My apologies, Grammyluvs. I did not see that your cruise was in May. I believe you can still do the Vasa with a private tour company! Keep us posted on your decision. :)

We have the same short time in June and will be docked at Frihamnen. We have decided to do a ship's tour that includes Vasa and Sigtuna-- there is also a tour that covers Vasa, Gamla Stan, and the Royal Armory. I have read that traffic in Stockholm can be difficult so it's important to plan on enough time to get back to the ship. In late May the city may be getting ready for the wedding of one of the Swedish princesses.

Edited by Alaskanb

Thanks for the advice. I read on Trip Advisor where you can do Gamla Stan in AM and then take the HOHO boat to the Vasa and then return to ship. Skansen really needs a whole day to do it justice. How does that sound to you experienced travelers.

Thanks for the advice. I read on Trip Advisor where you can do Gamla Stan in AM and then take the HOHO boat to the Vasa and then return to ship. Skansen really needs a whole day to do it justice. How does that sound to you experienced travelers.

Depends on how many ships in port but you may want to do Vasa early because I read it gets crowded. We plan to be on the HOHO boat early to Vasa then Gammla Stan via HOHO boat for the guard changing.

Depends on how many ships in port but you may want to do Vasa early because I read it gets crowded. We plan to be on the HOHO boat early to Vasa then Gammla Stan via HOHO boat for the guard changing.

This would definitely be the case if it wasn't for the fact that the poster was not arriving @ 7:00 am and leaving @ 2:00 pm on a day that the Vasa does not open until 10:00 am (such a pity that this is the case) :(. Given this scenario, going to Gamla Stan first and walking around prior to going over to the Vasa would be the best bet. I would really try to be over to the Vasa by opening time or soon after to ensure you get in and be able to spend some time visiting this site. Another factor is where are you docked? The HOHO boats run from Stadsgarden not from Frihamnen so that is important to know as well.

Dolfans from Miami

Another factor is where are you docked? The HOHO boats run from Stadsgarden not from Frihamnen so that is important to know as well.

Dolfans from Miami

I don't believe that's true. The HOHO bus does go to Frihamnen. It is Vartahamnen that is a little more unknown and my understanding is that if a ship is in port there, the HOHO bus will stop there too.

https://static.city-sightseeing.com/documents/tours/381.pdf

I don't believe that's true. The HOHO bus does go to Frihamnen. It is Vartahamnen that is a little more unknown and my understanding is that if a ship is in port there, the HOHO bus will stop there too.

https://static.city-sightseeing.com/documents/tours/381.pdf

The HOHO boat is what I said in my post but I do believe you are correct that the HOHO bus does go to Frihamnen.

Dolfans from Miami

Oooops! Sorry. Since the boats are unavailable to us, I've wiped them from my mind. I should have read it more closely. You are right.

No problem! If you scroll back to post 1,109 on this thread you will see that I was docking at Langelinie pier in Stockholm!! I sometimes think we all are on research overload! :)

Dolfans from Miami