Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I am sure this has been asked many times but I need to finish my research on Stockholm. We arrive at the Stadsgarden port at 9 am. and wish to go to Vasa, Changing of the Guard and Gama Stan. What is the quickest and cheapest way to get to Vasa? What would the cost of transportation be? Once back from Vasa, we will probably walk everywhere else. Thanks!

I recommend the HOHO boats that run directly from Stadsgarden. Follow the red and yellow lines painted on the sidewalk. It costs 100 SEK for a 24 hour pass. There are two companies (yellow - every 20 minutes, and black - every 30 minutes). In the early morning, they will run directly to the Vasa without making other stops. We did that at 8 am, not sure how late they make that exception. From the Vasa, you can easily hop back on and get off at Gamla Stan or the Palace, the back to the ship when ready. (It's a very short walk through Gamla Stan to the palace.) An added benefit was the narrated tour through headphones onboard the boats, interesting and informative.

Hello,

Looking for some information. We are docking along Skeppsbron in Gamla Stan. I'm looking forward to doing two things in the day we are in port. I'd like to visit the Vasa Museum and I'd like to visit the Royal Palace. I've heard the lines to the Vasa Museum can get very long so I was thinking of heading there first. What's the best way? Should I walk down to the Slussen ferry or would a HOHO be faster or even a bus? How about on the way back. I wouldn't mind a leisurely ferry/boat ride across the bay/harbour.

Any other suggestions on things to do if the Vasa and Palace won't take all day?

Thanks in advance,

--Jeff

I'd say go with Djugårdsfärjan (harbour ferry) in both directions.

Price is 45kr for one way tickets for Adults.

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/tickets-prices/

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/resenar/djurgardsfarjan/planera-resa/tidtabell/

It leaves from Slussen and docks very close to Wasa at Djurgården.

Other things to do; there are several museums in the Royal Palace.

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/royalpalaces/theroyalpalace.4.396160511584257f218000138.html

Then there is changing of the guards Mondays-Saturdays 12.15 and Sundays 13.15

While you are there you might as well walk around in Gamla Stan.

Obviously it depends on how much time you've got.

Edited by Desdichado62

Hello! If you take a taxi be sure to check the price in advance. Guess around 4-600sek for a car. It is a mess and they really "rob" foreign visitors with the price. Ask in the tourist info at the airport and also ask for what taxicompany to take. (Some are better than others.) And it doesn`t goes faster with the taxi than the buses to downtown center of Stockholm and that is only around 100 sek .

Have a good stay and usually it is lovely weather in early september./chris58

Hi!!

Can you give me any advise on taking a taxi versus public transportation from the Courtyard Marriott to the Vartahamnen Terminal. What would be the cost for each and where would I find directions on public transportation? Also information on busses from the airport to the Courtyard Marriott??

Many Thanks,

2Herky

Hi!!

Can you give me any advise on taking a taxi versus public transportation from the Courtyard Marriott to the Vartahamnen Terminal. What would be the cost for each and where would I find directions on public transportation? Also information on busses from the airport to the Courtyard Marriott??

Many Thanks,

2Herky

There is also the train to central train station, Arlanda Express, which is reasonable, fast (20 minutes) and leaves from the airport. I don't know how far your hotel is to the central station, but it might be worth checking into taking the train and then a cab from the station. You can google Arlanda Express. There's also flybussa or something like that, but I think that's the airport bus, and it's slower.

I think that legitimate taxis have their maximum prices posted on the side of their taxi. Some searching back into this thread will give you more info. I was told that the maximum airport price is top, larger figure, but I'm not positive. I forget now, but to/from the airport may be a set price, not sure. In any case, as the person above implies, taxis are unregulated in Stockholm, so it pays to shop around, and you are NOT required to take the first one in line.

I'm taking the train, as I've heard it's a very good option. There's a 2 for 1 pricing special right now (although I forget how long it runs - maybe not in Sept.) so look for that if you think you can deal with the train. (Taking a lot of baggage on the train might not be ideal for all).

There is also the train to central train station, Arlanda Express, which is reasonable, fast (20 minutes) and leaves from the airport. I don't know how far your hotel is to the central station, but it might be worth checking into taking the train and then a cab from the station. You can google Arlanda Express. There's also flybussa or something like that, but I think that's the airport bus, and it's slower.

I think that legitimate taxis have their maximum prices posted on the side of their taxi. Some searching back into this thread will give you more info. I was told that the maximum airport price is top, larger figure, but I'm not positive. I forget now, but to/from the airport may be a set price, not sure. In any case, as the person above implies, taxis are unregulated in Stockholm, so it pays to shop around, and you are NOT required to take the first one in line.

I'm taking the train, as I've heard it's a very good option. There's a 2 for 1 pricing special right now (although I forget how long it runs - maybe not in Sept.) so look for that if you think you can deal with the train. (Taking a lot of baggage on the train might not be ideal for all).

Thanks Again for you help!!!

2Herky

I recommend the HOHO boats that run directly from Stadsgarden. Follow the red and yellow lines painted on the sidewalk. It costs 100 SEK for a 24 hour pass. There are two companies (yellow - every 20 minutes, and black - every 30 minutes). In the early morning, they will run directly to the Vasa without making other stops. We did that at 8 am, not sure how late they make that exception. From the Vasa, you can easily hop back on and get off at Gamla Stan or the Palace, the back to the ship when ready. (It's a very short walk through Gamla Stan to the palace.) An added benefit was the narrated tour through headphones onboard the boats, interesting and informative.

We are planning on taking the HoHo (yellow line) to the Vasa and then taking the HoHo to Gamla Stan and walking to Palace as you suggested. How much time will we need to get back to ship from the Palace? I assume we get back on the HoHo to do this, but am wondering if we need to set aside a specific amount of time to complete the HoHo circuit. Thank you.

Hello!

We will be in Stockholm on Monday 6 August on the Brilliance. We are interested in taking a helicopter sightseeing tour. Could anyone make a recommendation on a helicopter tour company we could contact to arrange this?

Thank you!

Hello Jeff512 - We are on the same cruise as you -- I just saw your post and can't help you with your question but I noticed that you are from Celebration Florida. We have very good friends that live in Celebration! Do you know S. Garber/D. Collins?

Mollie

Hello Jeff512 - We are on the same cruise as you -- I just saw your post and can't help you with your question but I noticed that you are from Celebration Florida. We have very good friends that live in Celebration! Do you know S. Garber/D. Collins?

Mollie

Hello!

Small world! I do not know them.

I love living in Celebration!

Hello!

We will be in Stockholm on Monday 6 August on the Brilliance. We are interested in taking a helicopter sightseeing tour. Could anyone make a recommendation on a helicopter tour company we could contact to arrange this?

Thank you!

I can't give you any recommendation but only a list of a few

that are available:

http://www.arlandahelicopter.se/index-eng.php

http://www.heliairsweden.com/tjanster/sightseeing.php?lang=en

http://www.oppethav.se/comers/pages/showpage.jsp?page_cd=C.PRODUCTINFO.PAGE&country_cd=&destination_cd=STO&resort_cd=STO&product_cd=LYFTET

again i don't know if they are good or which one is the best.

Hi we are on the Jewel next week we want to visit Skansen, any advice on how to get there from port? Or any idea of approximate taxi fare? Thanks

it depends where you dock.

If you dock at Stadsgården (which you will if you are arriving on the 11th), the hoho boats is probably the best solution.

If you dock at Frihamnen bus, taxi or ship is the available options.

There is a harbour line called Sjövägen that goes from Frihamnen via

several stops to Nybroplan. Unfortunately the first morning departures don't stop at Allmänna Gränd/Djurgården.

The first departure that stops at Djurgården doe not depart from Frihamnen until 10.05.

Although it is possible to get an earlier departure to Nybroplan and then take the tram from Nybroplan to Djurgården.

it depends where you dock.

If you dock at Stadsgården (which you will if you are arriving on the 11th), the hoho boats is probably the best solution.

If you dock at Frihamnen bus, taxi or ship is the available options.

There is a harbour line called Sjövägen that goes from Frihamnen via

several stops to Nybroplan. Unfortunately the first morning departures don't stop at Allmänna Gränd/Djurgården.

The first departure that stops at Djurgården doe not depart from Frihamnen until 10.05.

Although it is possible to get an earlier departure to Nybroplan and then take the tram from Nybroplan to Djurgården.

Thanks for that. It is 11th. Is Frihamnen far to walk from the dock? We don't do really early so that will be fine.

Since you arrive on the 11th, just take the HoHo boat from Stadsgården to Djurgården.

The Frihamnen info does not apply to you in this case.

Thanks so much. Have looked at map. That's a great help :)

• 2 months later...
list of Vessel calls now available at http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/

Just check Stockholm and select kryssningsfartyg under what,

Thank you Desdichado62. Correct me if I am wrong. Our ship MSC Poesia, Aug. 13, 2013 will be docking at S167 STADSGÅRDEN? Is this the one that you have to take the ferry to go over to the Vasa Museum for fast transport?

Thanks again.

Thanks again. Heard previous posts mentioned that if we want to buy the HOHO boat ticket of 100SEK each age 12 and older, we can buy them at the machine just outside the terminal gate and the machine takes pin credit card? Or can we buy these tickets on the boat with the conductor? Do they take credit card as well? We in Canada have all pin credit card.

list of Vessel calls now available at http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/

Just check Stockholm and select kryssningsfartyg under what,

The call list has the Vision (on the 30th of May) at "FÖRTÖJNING PÅ STRÖMMEN" which I understand means we will have to tender to shore. Not sure how accurate that is because it also says Visby is the next stop, which is not true... also RCL's website doesn't list it as a tender port...but if in fact tendering does occur, where would the tender drop us off?

The call list has the Vision (on the 30th of May) at "FÖRTÖJNING PÅ STRÖMMEN" which I understand means we will have to tender to shore. Not sure how accurate that is because it also says Visby is the next stop, which is not true... also RCL's website doesn't list it as a tender port...but if in fact tendering does occur, where would the tender drop us off?

It is not very often that a cruise ship has to tender in Stockholm but it happens occasionally when there are many ships at the same time. From what I have seen the ship has then been at anchor just in front of Gamla Stan. So my guess is that the tender would leave you at Stadsgården, but closer to Gamla Stan than where the cruise ships usually dock. Or it could even be at Gamla Stan, but I think that is less likely.

What the cruise list should say is that your ship arrives from Visby and departs to Helsinki. Someone has made a mistake in the translation to English.

Edited by north-bound

The Emerald Princess is arriving in Frihamnen on June 12, 2013 according to the schedule.

As we have such limited time (Arr 07:00 dept 14:00) what strategy do you suggest to visit Vasa and Gamla Stan? and then return to the ship? Bus, taxi, etc. ? How many Krone would we need or can we pay with credit card?