Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thanks for the advice. I read on Trip Advisor where you can do Gamla Stan in AM and then take the HOHO boat to the Vasa and then return to ship. Skansen really needs a whole day to do it justice. How does that sound to you experienced travelers.

Maybe a better option would be to do a private tour. I am not sure who you are booked with for SPB, but I know that Alla Tours offers add on city tours such as Stockholm for a very reasonable price. Her tour is composed of City Hall, Vasa and walking tour/free time in Gamla Stan in 5 hours. Given your time restraints, this would possibly be a good way to go. Just something else to consider. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Overload is correct!!! Well, now I have another problem as we are docking at Frihamnen. Need to find out how to get to HOHO BOATs.....I thought I had a solution. We thought we would walk Gamla Stan till about 9:30, head over to Vasa and then return to Gamla Stan for lunch before having to be on board at 1:30. Does anyone know if Princess offers a shuttle bus from the port?

Maybe a better option would be to do a private tour. I am not sure who you are booked with for SPB, but I know that Alla Tours offers add on city tours such as Stockholm for a very reasonable price. Her tour is composed of City Hall, Vasa and walking tour/free time in Gamla Stan in 5 hours. Given your time restraints, this would possibly be a good way to go. Just something else to consider. :)

Dolfans from Miami

That might be an option....was hoping to spend more time at both sites than I might have on a private tour but the logistics of getting from the port might present a problem. Believe it or not, I like doing the planning but sometimes it can be confusing. Especially when people start throwing out all these foreign street names. I have printed out so much information my luggage is going to weight 75#'s.LOL:D

Edited by Grammyluvs

That might be an option....was hoping to spend more time at both sites than I might have on a private tour but the logistics of getting from the port might present a problem. Believe it or not, I like doing the planning but sometimes it can be confusing. Especially when people start throwing out all these foreign street names. I have printed out so much information my luggage is going to weight 75#'s.LOL:D

I completely understand your logic! I LOVE planning my DIY for ports of call and try not to resort to booking private tours/ship excursions as much as possible! Heck, I have to pay extra to check my travel binder onto the plane! LOL! I have my day planned in Stockholm utilizing the public transportation system but we also are visiting from 9:00 - 5:00 which makes a world of difference. Sometimes we need to concede to what will be the best overall scenario. You want to maximize the short time you have in this wonderful city and sometimes this means giving up doing a DIY. Keep us updated on your plans! :)

Dolfans from Miami

We are booked on Eclipse sailing August 17 and are booked with Alla Tours for the 5 city tour. The tour in Stockholm will end at 2:00 and we sail at 5:00. Does anyone know if the Under The Bridges Tour starts near the pier and/or if we will be able to do the tour after finishing with Alla Tours or if we should just stay in town for a couple of hous before returning to the ship. Thanks for any suggestions.

Meenu

We are booked on Eclipse sailing August 17 and are booked with Alla Tours for the 5 city tour. The tour in Stockholm will end at 2:00 and we sail at 5:00. Does anyone know if the Under The Bridges Tour starts near the pier and/or if we will be able to do the tour after finishing with Alla Tours or if we should just stay in town for a couple of hous before returning to the ship. Thanks for any suggestions.

Meenu

Hi vkb

It appears that the Under the Bridges tour begins at Nybrokajen. I think you're best bet would be to contact Alla directly to let her know what you are planning and see if she can accomodate you with this. ;) It is possible that after you complete your tour with her, the van can drop you off where the boat tour begins. We are using Alla as well in SPB and she is very accomadating and willing to assist in matters such as these. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise! :)

Overload is correct!!! Well, now I have another problem as we are docking at Frihamnen. Need to find out how to get to HOHO BOATs.....I thought I had a solution. We thought we would walk Gamla Stan till about 9:30, head over to Vasa and then return to Gamla Stan for lunch before having to be on board at 1:30. Does anyone know if Princess offers a shuttle bus from the port?

There is a bus from Frihamnen that you can take to at least near Gamla Stan. We are at least in better position being there from 8-4. Unfortunately there are 3 large ships in port that day and Vasa doesn't open until 10. First English tour is 11:30. I think we will head there first and hope to be among the first in. Hope maybe other people will decide to leave it for afternoon based on the timing. Glad to see that the renovations they are doing will accommodate more visitors.

There is a bus from Frihamnen that you can take to at least near Gamla Stan. We are at least in better position being there from 8-4. Unfortunately there are 3 large ships in port that day and Vasa doesn't open until 10. First English tour is 11:30. I think we will head there first and hope to be among the first in. Hope maybe other people will decide to leave it for afternoon based on the timing. Glad to see that the renovations they are doing will accommodate more visitors.

Hi, can you tell me where you're able to find out how many ships will be in port along with yours?

Also, where did you find the info on the english tour schedules for the Vasa on your port day?

Hi, can you tell me where you're able to find out how many ships will be in port along with yours?

Also, where did you find the info on the english tour schedules for the Vasa on your port day?

cruisett for ships in port. It misses some small Euro ships.

Here is a mp3 of Vasa in case you miss the English tour http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/visit/mp3-guide/

Hi vkb

It appears that the Under the Bridges tour begins at Nybrokajen. I think you're best bet would be to contact Alla directly to let her know what you are planning and see if she can accomodate you with this. ;) It is possible that after you complete your tour with her, the van can drop you off where the boat tour begins. We are using Alla as well in SPB and she is very accomadating and willing to assist in matters such as these. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks, I will check with Alla.

Meenu

Thanks for the advice. I read on Trip Advisor where you can do Gamla Stan in AM and then take the HOHO boat to the Vasa and then return to ship. Skansen really needs a whole day to do it justice. How does that sound to you experienced travelers.

You might want to check this information http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/About/News/Reopening-1-May/ as the Vasa Museum will be closed some of this spring.:(

I was told by someone who was on the Ocean Princess last year that they had a shuttle that takes you to the city hall area. I don't know if they do the same for the Emerald or not. If that shuttle is running for you, than you could take it to city hall, walk through Gamla Stan and then take a water ferry to Vasa.

Transportation has been a concern for me as well because public transportation requires Swedish cash immediately. So it seems difficult to me to find an ATM, find a ticket machine and take the bus. With your tight schedule, I would consider the Alla tour.

Eited to say one more thought... Take the HOHO bus/ boat combination ticket. Ride HOHO bus into town and get off at Gamla Stan and then take HOHO boat over to Vasa and then back to a HOHO bus to your ship.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

I was told by someone who was on the Ocean Princess last year that they had a shuttle that takes you to the city hall area. I don't know if they do the same for the Emerald or not. If that shuttle is running for you, than you could take it to city hall, walk through Gamla Stan and then take a water ferry to Vasa.

Transportation has been a concern for me as well because public transportation requires Swedish cash immediately. So it seems difficult to me to find an ATM, find a ticket machine and take the bus. With your tight schedule, I would consider the Alla tour.

Eited to say one more thought... Take the HOHO bus/ boat combination ticket. Ride HOHO bus into town and get off at Gamla Stan and then take HOHO boat over to Vasa and then back to a HOHO bus to your ship.

Depending on what sites you are planning on visiting, you may want to look into purchasing the Stockholm Card and having it mailed to your home so you can use it on the bus when you disembark. It made sense for us since we are planning on doing several inside visits and utilizing public transportation. Just thought I would share that thought with you. :). Good luck!

Dolfans from Miami

Depending on what sites you are planning on visiting, you may want to look into purchasing the Stockholm Card and having it mailed to your home so you can use it on the bus when you disembark. It made sense for us since we are planning on doing several inside visits and utilizing public transportation. Just thought I would share that thought with you. :). Good luck!

Dolfans from Miami

I've considered the Stockholm Card but I'm not sure it will pay off for us. We have only three things on our Stockholm list- Vasa, Gamla Stan, and if possible, the City Hall tour. Since the Stockholm Card doesn't eliminate standing in line for the Vasa and we are not going to many paid sites, I'm not sure it is worth it for us. On the other hand, since there are suppose to be about 8500 passengers in port with us that day, possible lines for the HOHO bus are a concern. Our ship is in port 9-6 in June, so we won't be one of the first to the Vasa in the morning.

It's amazing how much more complicated the DIY planning is for these Baltic trips. Since we will be doing B2B with a Norwegian fjord trip, we will be in 10 countries with 8 different currencies. Sigh. You were right about trip planning overload!

actually there's at least two in the last week of April.

First the Astor at the 26th and then Musica on the 30th

The post I was replying to is for the Emerald Princess, leaving April 25 according to their post, so that one's on the list, too -- though I don't know what date their scheduled stop in Stockholm is. Hmmm - I don't find that it is going April 25 on Princess' website. What's the deal??

Edited by jljcruise

See DanL's post regarding ships in port (and thanks DanL for the MP3 info).

This is the guided tour schedule in English. Schedule changes in June:

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/visit/Guided-tours/

The post I was replying to is for the Emerald Princess, leaving April 25 according to their post, so that one's on the list, too -- though I don't know what date their scheduled stop in Stockholm is. Hmmm - I don't find that it is going April 25 on Princess' website. What's the deal??

http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/

The only two listed are:

ASTOR

Type of ship: Kryssningsfartyg

Arrival date: 2013-04-26 08:00

Departure date: 2013-04-26 14:00

Arrival to: Visby

Departure from: Helsinki

Shipping line: EUROPEAN CRUISE SERVICE

Berth: S160 STADSGÅRDEN

MSC MUSICA

Type of ship: Kryssningsfartyg

Arrival date: 2013-04-30 08:30

Departure date: 2013-04-30 16:30

Arrival to: Kiel

Departure from: Tallinn

Shipping line: MAERSK BROKERS SWEDEN AB

------------------------------

Detailed program for changing of the guards: http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/upload/H%C3%B6gvaktsavl%C3%B6sning%20med%20musik%20februari-juni.pdf

Edited by Desdichado62

I have been trying to research if the ferry from Slussen, goes to the Vasa museum. Do you know the name of both ferry terminals, or is there a ferry map that someone has a website for, or a ferry timetable. thank you

If you are referring to my cruise, April 25th is the date we leave for the cruise in Fort Lauderdale. The cruise leaves April 26th. The Emerald will be in Stockholm on May 21st from 7AM to 2PM. Sorry for the confusion.:rolleyes:

I have been trying to research if the ferry from Slussen, goes to the Vasa museum. Do you know the name of both ferry terminals, or is there a ferry map that someone has a website for, or a ferry timetable. thank you

The Djurgården ferry goes between Slussen (Räntmästartrappan) and a street named "Allmänna gränd" on Djurgården. From there it is some 0.4 miles walk to the Vasa museum along Falkenbergsgatan and the small boat harbor.

Info:

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/plan-trip/

Maps:

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/terminals/

Edited by Ultima Thule

The Djurgården ferry goes between Slussen (Räntmästartrappan) and a street named "Allmänna gränd" on Djurgården. From there it is some 0.4 miles walk to the Vasa museum along Falkenbergsgatan and the small boat harbor.

Info:

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/plan-trip/

Maps:

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/djurgarden-ferry/terminals/

Yep and then through Galärvarvskyrkogården:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Allm%C3%A4nna+gr%C3%A4nd,+115+21+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.328127,18.094107&sspn=0.002558,0.007398&geocode=FRg4iQMdtiAUASmt1B7NqoJfRjGQgtDrAes_bw%3BFRpEiQMdCxQUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=18&z=17

We are arriving Frihamen on the Eurodam on Sat July 6th at 8am.

We are a family of four. We would like to visit Vasa first and then head over to Gamla Stan for the changing of the guards and wandering around.

From what I have read… we can take bus 76 to Djurgården and walk across the bridge to Vasa. After that we can walk to Gamla Stan and either take the 76 bus or a taxi back to the pier.

Here are my questions…

Does bus 76 run on Saturdays in July? What is the cost? Can we pay the driver, we will have the local currency. Is there a timetable for July that I can use? How far is it from F638?

I think I read about a HOHO bus that stops at the port, anyone have any experience with that?

When paying for four people on the bus does it pay to take a taxi?

I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

We are arriving Frihamen on the Eurodam on Sat July 6th at 8am.

We are a family of four. We would like to visit Vasa first and then head over to Gamla Stan for the changing of the guards and wandering around.

1. From what I have read… we can take bus 76 to Djurgården and walk across the bridge to Vasa.

2. After that we can walk to Gamla Stan and either take the 76 bus or a taxi back to the pier.

Here are my questions…

3. Does bus 76 run on Saturdays in July? 4. What is the cost? Can we pay the driver, we will have the local currency. 5. Is there a timetable for July that I can use? 6. How far is it from F638?

I think I read about a HOHO bus that stops at the port, anyone have any experience with that?

When paying for four people on the bus does it pay to take a taxi?

I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

1. yes that is correct.

2. Sure you could walk from Wasa to Gamla Stan but it is quite far.

Other options would be to go by bus or by using Djurgårdsfärjan.

3. yes it does.

4. Buses in Stockholm no longer accepts cash.

Either use some form of travel card or pre-paid tickets.

5. No it's not available yet. The current timetable expires on June 20th.

So I'll guess that the new time tables will be out at the end of May or

something like that and it will be available at http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

6. Its not far from the berth F638 to the bus.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=59.345007,18.125442&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.34225,18.125145&sspn=0.007254,0.02959&geocode=%3BFap6iQMdLXYUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&z=16

http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/Documents/%C3%96vrigt/Karta%20Frihamnen_kryssningslagen.pdf

http://www.avidcruiser.com/stockholm/2011/12/07/guide-to-stockholm-berthing-locations/

Apart from walking and going by bus, there is also a harbour commuter-boat line called sjövägen.

It goes from Frihamnen via a few stops (including Djurgården) to Nybroplan.

However not all departures stops at Djurgården.

http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=32

http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=2

Times for the summer are far from being available but

its a good option to have in mind especially if you can

spare the time.