Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

1. yes that is correct.

2. Sure you could walk from Wasa to Gamla Stan but it is quite far.

Other options would be to go by bus or by using Djurgårdsfärjan.

3. yes it does.

4. Buses in Stockholm no longer accepts cash.

Either use some form of travel card or pre-paid tickets.

5. No it's not available yet. The current timetable expires on June 20th.

So I'll guess that the new time tables will be out at the end of May or

something like that and it will be available at http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

6. Its not far from the berth F638 to the bus.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=59.345007,18.125442&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.34225,18.125145&sspn=0.007254,0.02959&geocode=%3BFap6iQMdLXYUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&z=16

http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/Documents/%C3%96vrigt/Karta%20Frihamnen_kryssningslagen.pdf

http://www.avidcruiser.com/stockholm/2011/12/07/guide-to-stockholm-berthing-locations/

Apart from walking and going by bus, there is also a harbour commuter-boat line called sjövägen.

It goes from Frihamnen via a few stops (including Djurgården) to Nybroplan.

However not all departures stops at Djurgården.

http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=32

http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=2

Times for the summer are far from being available but

its a good option to have in mind especially if you can

spare the time.

Useful info. Thanks. We will be there May 14. Our ship docks in Frihamnen at 8:00 and Vasa doesn't open until 10:00 so sjovagen looks like a good way to get there. I looked at these links and really didn't see a timetable for departures from Frihamnen (of course I can't read Swedish which might be part of the problem). How does one get from the cruise ship to the sjovagen dock? How do we pay for the boat - on board or is there a ticket office at the dock?

Useful info. Thanks. We will be there May 14. Our ship docks in Frihamnen at 8:00 and Vasa doesn't open until 10:00 so sjovagen looks like a good way to get there. I looked at these links and really didn't see a timetable for departures from Frihamnen (of course I can't read Swedish which might be part of the problem). How does one get from the cruise ship to the sjovagen dock? How do we pay for the boat - on board or is there a ticket office at the dock?

As I said, the spring/summer time tables for both Sjövägen and the SL buses are not available yet.

The current Sjövägen time table willexpire on March 31st so a new time table should be available

within a few weeks.

Sjövägen accepts cash and on some ships also credit/debit card and you pay on-board the ship.

Price is 40SEK one way for adults and 25SEK for kids.

Currently they dock at the outermost point of the same pier as your ship docks at.

The problem with Sjovägen is that only a few departures stop at

Allmänna Gränd (Vasa stop) and those departures might not

fit your schedule. But we will see when the new time table arrives.

Also worth mentioning (does not apply to you) is that currently

Sjövägen does not go to/from Frihamnen on weekends.

Edited by Desdichado62

1. yes that is correct.

2. Sure you could walk from Wasa to Gamla Stan but it is quite far.

Other options would be to go by bus or by using Djurgårdsfärjan.

3. yes it does.

4. Buses in Stockholm no longer accepts cash.

Either use some form of travel card or pre-paid tickets.

5. No it's not available yet. The current timetable expires on June 20th.

So I'll guess that the new time tables will be out at the end of May or

something like that and it will be available at http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

6. Its not far from the berth F638 to the bus.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=59.345007,18.125442&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.34225,18.125145&sspn=0.007254,0.02959&geocode=%3BFap6iQMdLXYUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&z=16

http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/Documents/%C3%96vrigt/Karta%20Frihamnen_kryssningslagen.pdf

http://www.avidcruiser.com/stockholm/2011/12/07/guide-to-stockholm-berthing-locations/

Apart from walking and going by bus, there is also a harbour commuter-boat line called sjövägen.

It goes from Frihamnen via a few stops (including Djurgården) to Nybroplan.

However not all departures stops at Djurgården.

http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=32

http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=2

Times for the summer are far from being available but

its a good option to have in mind especially if you can

spare the time.

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice.

I’ll wait for the end of May to check the timetables.

I think we will get a 1 day travel card. Do they sell them at Frihamnen since the driver doesn't accept cash?

Correct me if I am wrong…

First, I need to purchase 4 SL Access cards for 20 SEK each. Then, they will add the correct amount on each card for 1 day of travel. 115 SEK for adults and 70 SEK reduced for the children.

I checked the route today on the SL website. It had me take 3 different buses to get from Firhamnen to Djurgården. Is that all the time or just in the off season?

Again, thank you so much for spending your time helping travelers from all over the world.

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice.

I’ll wait for the end of May to check the timetables.

I think we will get a 1 day travel card. Do they sell them at Frihamnen since the driver doesn't accept cash?

Correct me if I am wrong…

First, I need to purchase 4 SL Access cards for 20 SEK each. Then, they will add the correct amount on each card for 1 day of travel. 115 SEK for adults and 70 SEK reduced for the children.

I checked the route today on the SL website. It had me take 3 different buses to get from Firhamnen to Djurgården. Is that all the time or just in the off season?

Again, thank you so much for spending your time helping travelers from all over the world.

There is a cheaper way to get your tickets for the bus, prepaid coupons. Each coupon costs 18 Kronor for adults, 10 Kronor for children. For each journey within the inner city you will need 2 coupons. So the cost will be 36 Kronor per journey for adults and 20 Kronor for a child. The coupons will be stamped by the driver when you get on, and it shows the time so that the ticket is valid for one hour if you change to another bus or tram or the Metro. Unless you plan for a lot of travel during the day this will be cheaper.

During previous years there has been a small kiosk at the quay at Frihamnen port and at Stadsgården port where they among other things have sold tickets for the public transport. Hopefully they will do the same this year. I don't know if they have been able to sell access cards.

Bus 76 runs on all days except Sundays (and probably public holidays) and it has a stop not far from the Vasa Museum. The name of the stop is Djurgårddsbron and from there it is a short walk across a bridge and on to the museum. There are signs that will help you find it.

Here is a link to a map that may be helpful: https://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

Thank you both for responding.

We thought having the all day transportaion pass would make things easier for us. We do like to walk but if it were to rain walking won't be an optipon.

I guess I'll have to wait until May when other cruisers return from Stockholm and hopefully let us know if the kiosk is open at the pier.

Otherwise, there is a ticket machine that may or may not take my non chip Capital One credit card.

I find this DIY port to be adding up in cost. We plan to do HOHO $40ish, Vasa $20, Royal Palace $23, Gamla Stan/changing of the guards. Total $83 minimum. Would it be worth it for our group of 5 to just take the ship's tour?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I find this DIY port to be adding up in cost. We plan to do HOHO $40ish, Vasa $20, Royal Palace $23, Gamla Stan/changing of the guards. Total $83 minimum. Would it be worth it for our group of 5 to just take the ship's tour?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Depending who you are touring with in SPB, you can add on a tour in Stockholm. We are touring with Alla and added on the Stockholm 5 hour tour which includes transportation to/from port, tour of City Hall, Tour of Vasa and a walking tour/free time in Gamla Stan for $75.00. I think it is well worth the price so you may want to check on this option over a ship tour. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Depending who you are touring with in SPB, you can add on a tour in Stockholm. We are touring with Alla and added on the Stockholm 5 hour tour which includes transportation to/from port, tour of City Hall, Tour of Vasa and a walking tour/free time in Gamla Stan for $75.00. I think it is well worth the price so you may want to check on this option over a ship tour. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Oh, great. Does the $75 that you added include the Royal Palace?

Months ago, I chose another tour company over Alla b/c I believe they were a tad lower in price.

Oh, great. Does the $75 that you added include the Royal Palace?

Months ago, I chose another tour company over Alla b/c I believe they were a tad lower in price.

Alla's tour takes you by the Royal Palace but not an inside visit. The inside visits via Alla are City Hall ( which I heard is a "must see") and the Vasa. But check with the company you are booked with for SPB and maybe they offer a tour in Stockholm as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

Dolfans from Miami

Are you booked on just one other (SPB) tour with her or more? I thought when I checked her website it was over $100 for Stockholm at the two cities rate. We are on her Grand SPB Tour.

Edited:

I went to her web page again. On her multi city calculator it does show the cost as $75. If you go to the description of the tour, it says $110 with SPB. she must have is discounted it more since doing the page. However, she doesn't include Vartahamnen pier for her tour starts. I guess we'll have to ask about that.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

Are you booked on just one other (SPB) tour with her or more? I thought when I checked her website it was over $100 for Stockholm at the two cities rate. We are on her Grand SPB Tour.

If you are booked with Alla on her 2 day Grand SPB tour, you have the option of adding additional cities at a discounted rate. You can add on 1, 2, 3, or 4 additional cities (depending on your itinerary). If you are registered on Alla's 2 day grand tour, to add Stockholm should cost you $75.00. Check her site and see her new packages which gives you the totals as you add the cities you want to visit. Very economical, IMHO!

http://www.alla-tour.com.

Dolfans from Miami

Edited:

I went to her web page again. On her multi city calculator it does show the cost as $75. If you go to the description of the tour, it says $110 with SPB. she must have is discounted it more since doing the page. However, she doesn't include Vartahamnen pier for her tour starts. I guess we'll have to ask about that.

Glad you were able to find it! The tour should begin from whichever pier you are docked at. Check with Alla to confirm but I am pretty sure that's the case! I hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Edited:

BTW, SoBaycruiser, (not to get off topic on this thread) you may also want to check on the Tallinn tour as well...to add on is $15.00 which includes the transportation to/from the pier. Worth getting you up Toompea Hill, IMHO, and the walking tour included is icing on the cake!

Dolfans from Miami

It is strange how the amounts add up on Alla Tours website. If I add Berlin before adding Stockholm, Stockholm tour is $75. If I add Berlin first then Stockholm tour is $95.

Meenu

Edited by vkb2751

When I add 5 hour Stockholm to 2 days Grand Tour of SPB it adds $95 and adds $25 for Tallin. Not sure how to get the prices you show. Thanks.

Meenu

You have to start with 2 day Grand Tour (not comfort ) in SPB for$300. Stockholm adds $75 to make it $375.

However if I add Tallin it goes to $400, not $390. What's odd is Grand Tour and just Tallin adds only $15.

You have to start with 2 day Grand Tour (not comfort ) in SPB for$300. Stockholm adds $75 to make it $375.

However if I add Tallin it goes to $400, not $390. What's odd is Grand Tour and just Tallin adds only $15.

I see what you mean. Separately, I add Tallinn $15.00, Helsinki $40.00, Stockholm $75.00 which should be a total of $430.00 but the total is $450.00. I am going to email Alla to let her know about this glitch.

Dolfans from Miami

If you are booked with Alla on her 2 day Grand SPB tour, you have the option of adding additional cities at a discounted rate. You can add on 1, 2, 3, or 4 additional cities (depending on your itinerary). If you are registered on Alla's 2 day grand tour, to add Stockholm should cost you $75.00. Check her site and see her new packages which gives you the totals as you add the cities you want to visit. Very economical, IMHO!

http://www.alla-tour.com.

Dolfans from Miami

How much does the Grand tour of SPB cost you with Alla?

Nevermind - I see $300 was listed above. Thanks!

Edited by Millenia98

I see what you mean. Separately, I add Tallinn $15.00, Helsinki $40.00, Stockholm $75.00 which should be a total of $430.00 but the total is $450.00. I am going to email Alla to let her know about this glitch.

Dolfans from Miami

Do these tours require a certain amount of people for certain prices?

Do these tours require a certain amount of people for certain prices?

Not that I know of. We just booked and received the prices listed on her website. I am guessing we had a full tour. If you email Alla, she is very helpful in answering questions and very accommodating. Enjoy your cruise! :)

info@alla-tour.com

Dolfans from Miami

For those that were adding and subtracting cities on Alla in addition to the Grand SPB tour, what's the price of adding Berlin? I might switch tour companies because I booked wih a company who gave me a good price based on recruiting about 7 others. I have been posting on my roll call for 6 months (since last September), and I have not received one inquiry or response to the tours. :( I don't want to get stuck paying a high price because my roll call is dead.

Our cruise is July 9th. No excuse- people should have been responding by now, so I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Edited by Millenia98

For those that were adding and subtracting cities on Alla in addition to the Grand SPB tour, what's the price of adding Berlin? I might switch tour companies because I booked wih a company who gave me a good price based on recruiting about 7 others. I have been posting on my roll call for 6 months (since last September), and I have not received one inquiry or response to the tours. :( I don't want to get stuck paying a high price because my roll call is dead.

Our cruise is July 9th. No excuse- people should have been responding by now, so I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Alla has something called Group tours that are independent of how many folks sign up http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/

We have added on a Tallinn tour to our SP group Comfort Tour --just register on the site and then tell Alla what you would like to do and she will respond.

Edited by Alaskanb

Hi millenia

I understand your frustration. I would not want the added pressure of trying to "recruit" others for a tour in order to get a better price. Alla has a "fixed" price for her 5 City "Five Star" package for $575.00 which includes the 2 day Grand Tour in SPB and Berlin regardless of how many people register. Alla is one of the highly regarded tour guides used by many of our CC members. You can contact her through her on line email system on her website @

http://www.alla-tour.com

Good luck in your planning. :)

*I apologize to others if this post went off topic*

Dolfans from Miami

North Bound, unfortunately they don't sell these coupons anymore.

Now they only sell travel cards or pre-paid tickets of which the latter only are valid for 75min from time of purchase.

I am well aware that after March 31 they will no longer sell the prepaid coupon strips, and even if they will still be possible to use until end of August that is no help for cruise passengers. But they will still sell the loose coupons I was recommending. They will also disappear but no date has yet been set so it will not be this year.

I have talked to SL and they said that if it has been possible to buy the tickets from the small kiosks on the quay it is likely to be the same this year. But for Access cards it will probably not be possible to get them there this year, the technical solutions are not fully developed yet.

So the best thing is to hope they will have the loose coupons. The cost is 18 Kronor (children and people older than 65, 10 Kronor). Each journey within the inner city will require two coupons per person. It is possible to get the coupons you think you will need in the morning. When entering a bus the driver will stamp the two coupons with the time, so that they can be used again if you change to another bus, tram or metro train within an hour.

I am well aware that after March 31 they will no longer sell the prepaid coupon strips, and even if they will still be possible to use until end of August that is no help for cruise passengers. But they will still sell the loose coupons I was recommending. They will also disappear but no date has yet been set so it will not be this year.

I have talked to SL and they said that if it has been possible to buy the tickets from the small kiosks on the quay it is likely to be the same this year. But for Access cards it will probably not be possible to get them there this year, the technical solutions are not fully developed yet.

So the best thing is to hope they will have the loose coupons. The cost is 18 Kronor (children and people older than 65, 10 Kronor). Each journey within the inner city will require two coupons per person. It is possible to get the coupons you think you will need in the morning. When entering a bus the driver will stamp the two coupons with the time, so that they can be used again if you change to another bus, tram or metro train within an hour.

Thank you for your help in clarifying! Since we will only be making 3 separate journeys on public transporation (bus), we've calculated that it is cheap with the loose coupons (two per trip for each adult in zone 1). Fingers crossed that they will still sell those quay-side.

One additional question, please. We will need a total of 6 loose coupons for each adult for our 3 journeys. Is it possible to purchase all of those at once (i.e. at the quay-side) since the driver is the one that "activates" it by stamping the coupons. I thought I would save time here initially by getting all the coupons for journeys later in the day, rather than searching out a 7-11 or other convenience store. I just want to make sure the simple purchase of the coupons doesn't "activiate" them.

Thank you again for your help!

Melissa