Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I don't think there is an ATM at Frihamnen port. But it has been a long time since I last had a look around there. Anyway, today the normal way to pay here in Sweden is a card, and I would be very surprised if you will need any local currency if you want to buy bus tickets in the kiosk on the quay. Some small places may not take cards.

Can we play with cash or is it just a machine? Might this be a problem for those of us with credit cards that aren't chip and pin (I got one with a chip but not sure if the pin will work since it is chip and signature :mad:). Is there a person taking money for the various boats? I have a feeling we might end up doing a lot of walking.

I see the Ice Bar is somewhat near City Hall. Is it worth a stop? The reviews are not outstanding, but they're pretty good. It seems most ppl recommend going at night, but since we won't be there at night, would it be worth squeezing in our itinerary for a quick drink?

Also, google maps tells me the best way from Gamla Stan to City Hall is by taking the #3 bus. Is this accurate?

Edited by Millenia98

There is one person who posts here, "Ultima Thule" who I know is familiar with this port and may have a better answer.

Sorry, no. I have never been to that part of Värtan either.

But I guess its worth clarify that cruise ships uses Värtahamnen quay 523 and that is NOT the harbor basin usually associated with Värtahamnen. That one is occupied by the ferries to Finland and Estonia. Quay 523 is further south, on this map about in the middle between the texts "Siljaterminalen" and "Frihamsterminalen" with "Fjärde Bassängvägen" being ther closest road.

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2013.html

I see the Ice Bar is somewhat near City Hall. Is it worth a stop? The reviews are not outstanding, but they're pretty good. It seems most ppl recommend going at night, but since we won't be there at night, would it be worth squeezing in our itinerary for a quick drink?

Also, google maps tells me the best way from Gamla Stan to City Hall is by taking the #3 bus. Is this accurate?

I read on some thread that the ice bar is basically only open to ship tours until 2:30. We were also thinking of going there if we have time but not sure that will happen. Doesn't seem like a place you can just pop into for a quick drink but have to wait to get in. Expert opinions would be appreciated. (We were planning to go to the one in Copenhagen where we have more time but apparently it has closed)

I read on some thread that the ice bar is basically only open to ship tours until 2:30. We were also thinking of going there if we have time but not sure that will happen. Doesn't seem like a place you can just pop into for a quick drink but have to wait to get in. Expert opinions would be appreciated. (We were planning to go to the one in Copenhagen where we have more time but apparently it has closed)

I see. Ok, I was not aware it was only open until 2:30p. We won't be able to go then. I hear Vasa and touring City Hall is a must. Gamla Stan is also on my must list, so we won't be able to squeeze those in all before 2:30p and then make it to the ice bar. Boo, not ice bar for us.

I see. Ok, I was not aware it was only open until 2:30p. We won't be able to go then. I hear Vasa and touring City Hall is a must. Gamla Stan is also on my must list, so we won't be able to squeeze those in all before 2:30p and then make it to the ice bar. Boo, not ice bar for us.

I just looked at the website and at least the day we are there times after 11:00 are open. Looks like you can book online (and pay). However, since it is not a top priority I don't know that I want to make the commitment. However, my husband might feel otherwise. Here is the link: http://www.nordicseahotel.se/en/The-hotel/Food-and-drink/ICEBAR-STOCKHOLM-by-ICEHOTEL/

Edited by lost in translation

Sorry, no. I have never been to that part of Värtan either.

But I guess its worth clarify that cruise ships uses Värtahamnen quay 523 and that is NOT the harbor basin usually associated with Värtahamnen. That one is occupied by the ferries to Finland and Estonia. Quay 523 is further south, on this map about in the middle between the texts "Siljaterminalen" and "Frihamsterminalen" with "Fjärde Bassängvägen" being ther closest road.

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2013.html

Thank you! That helps a lot!

I don't think there is an ATM at Frihamnen port. But it has been a long time since I last had a look around there. Anyway, today the normal way to pay here in Sweden is a card, and I would be very surprised if you will need any local currency if you want to buy bus tickets in the kiosk on the quay. Some small places may not take cards.

If I have cash will I be able to pay for coupons for the day? I am afraid my non chip/pin Capital One card won't work and now I hear there is no ATM at the pier.

I want to have all bases covered.

Thanks again for helping us out.

Sure there are: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/nrUVL

As my recent posts have indicated, I have been concerned about how to get into the city from Vartahamnen... considering the #76 bus, the HOHO bus, cruise shuttle or a tour. For the first time when I went to your map, I zoomed in on Vartahamnen and clicked on the bus 76 stop and went to the street view, it appears the closest bus stop is not easily accessible from the dock because it really is a ferry terminal. It appears the terminal is fenced in with no easy access from the bus stop. Am I right to abandon the idea of using public transportation for Vartahamnen?

Its just the icons that are misplaced. And that stop is not relevant either because its not the one you will use to get to Vasa.

Take a look at this, according to the icon the stop should be at the corner of the building marked with an "S".

However as you can see the stop is actually slightly further to the north.

The correct stop is the one that is across the road from the dock:

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=tullvaktsv%C3%A4gen&ie=UTF8&ll=59.341785,18.118354&spn=0.003638,0.014795&hnear=Tullvaktsv%C3%A4gen&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=59.34174,18.11815&panoid=x9NcPsVT7jKnkntc98Ouyw&cbp=12,66.46,,0,1.38

Stop is named Frihamnen. Bus 76 heading towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen will get you to Djurgårdsbron from where you can walk to Vasa.

When you return get off at Magasin 3. Bus 76 towards Ropsten will get you there.

Edited by Desdichado62

Sure there are: http://kartor.eniro.se/m/nrUVL

Its just the icons that are misplaced. And that stop is not relevant either because its not the one you will use to get to Vasa.

Take a look at this, according to the icon the stop should be at the corner of the building marked with an "S".

However as you can see the stop is actually slightly further to the north.

The correct stop is the one that is across the road from the dock:

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=tullvaktsv%C3%A4gen&ie=UTF8&ll=59.341785,18.118354&spn=0.003638,0.014795&hnear=Tullvaktsv%C3%A4gen&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=59.34174,18.11815&panoid=x9NcPsVT7jKnkntc98Ouyw&cbp=12,66.46,,0,1.38

Stop is named Frihamnen. Bus 76 heading towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen will get you to Djurgårdsbron from where you can walk to Vasa.

When you return get off at Magasin 3. Bus 76 towards Ropsten will get you there.

Now I'm really confused. So not every bus 76 stop goes to Djurgardsbron? I thought Vartahamnen was half way between Frihamnen and the ferry terminal. Wouldnt that be closer to Malmvagen bus stop?

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?panoid=LJUCwnFreVCMUneiAqZZ2g&cbp=0,136.07049409275314,,0,0

When I do a 360 from that bus stop it looks like it should be close to the Vatahamnen 523 dock. I don't mean to be unappreciative, I just want to walk in the correct direction when I get off the ship. I really don't mean to be obtuse but I've heard contradictory things here.

Now I'm really confused. So not every bus 76 stop goes to Djurgardsbron? I thought Vartahamnen was half way between Frihamnen and the ferry terminal. Wouldnt that be closer to Malmvagen bus stop?

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?panoid=LJUCwnFreVCMUneiAqZZ2g&cbp=0,136.07049409275314,,0,0

When I do a 360 from that bus stop it looks like it should be close to the Vatahamnen 523 dock. I don't mean to be unappreciative, I just want to walk in the correct direction when I get off the ship. I really don't mean to be obtuse but I've heard contradictory things here.

Obvioulsy you use the stop closest to where you ship dock. If the Malmvägen is closer then of course you should use that one.

Just remember that ONLY the south bound Bus 76 (towards Norra Hammarbyhamnen.) will pass by Djurgårdsbron.

There are two stops at Malmvägen, use the one across the road. Bus 76 towards Ropsten will get you back to the ship.

Värtahamnen is the upperhalf of the huge dock area that is Värtahamnen and Frihamnen. The Ferry terminal is Värthamnen.

Edited by Desdichado62

Now I'm really confused. ... I really don't mean to be obtuse but I've heard contradictory things here.

Regarding the quay location, the same thing was discussed earlier in posts 1049 and 1050 and this map shows the exact location:

http://imageshack.us/f/100/vh523.png/

SobayCruser. I came to same conclusion regarding the bus stop as you. (Of course the side of the street for buses going southwards i.e the platform next to the building)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=59.347606,18.113537&spn=0.00124,0.004128&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=59.347606,18.113537&panoid=LJUCwnFreVCMUneiAqZZ2g&cbp=12,216.88,,0,2.87

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hi Ultima, thank you for coming in and helping us. I appologise re my mistake, but I really thought you had been to Värtahamnen since you have given excellent advice on this port before. Anyway, I have now made a few corrections in my map so that it now better represents this port.

Thank you all! I now have a good comfort level with this port. I think with a Stockholm Card and this bus info, I should be able to see everything I need to that day. Thank you again!

Ultimate Thule, thank you for that dock location map. I knew I had seen it before but I couldn't find it again for the life of me. This time I'm printing it out.

Anyone know of a valid discount code for a 2013 Stockholm Card? I see people in 2012 on tripadvisor got 10% off using such a code. The visitStockholm page says there is a place to put in a discount code.... but a quick search of the web doesn't show me one for available for 2013.

Thanks!

Rita

How much time would you allow for the Vasa museum? I see the guided tours around the ship are about 25 mins. I'm trying to decide what time to book our ABBA museum tickets which we plan to visit after the Vasa.

Our plan is to take the HOHO Boat to the Vasa and be there when it opens at 8:30am. After touring the Vasa we will walk to the Swedish Music Hall of Fame to tour the ABBA Museum. The first time slot available is 10:00 am and in 30 minute increments after that.

Thanks for your help. :)

Speaking of the Vasa and time, everyone here says go there first. Unfortunately our ship doesn't arrive until 9am in June and I assume 9:30 is the earliest we could possibly make it. Everyone has an hour to get there before us. Will lines be terrible by then? Will they be worse in the afternoon? Any thoughts?

Our plan is to take the HOHO Boat to the Vasa and be there when it opens at 8:30am. After touring the Vasa we will walk to the Swedish Music Hall of Fame to tour the ABBA Museum. The first time slot available is 10:00 am and in 30 minute increments after that.

Thanks for your help. :)

We also plan on using the HOHO boats. We will be docking at Stadsgarden on Sunday June 16 at 0800.

Questions: Do the HOHO boats go directly to Vasa before the 1000 start time from Stadsgarden on Sundays? What time do they start?

Thanks much for your patience & knowledge Desdichado62, Ultima Thule & north-bound.

We also plan on using the HOHO boats. We will be docking at Stadsgarden on Sunday June 16 at 0800.

Questions: Do the HOHO boats go directly to Vasa before the 1000 start time from Stadsgarden on Sundays? What time do they start?

Thanks much for your patience & knowledge Desdichado62, Ultima Thule & north-bound.

Time tables for 2013 are not available yet but you can always ask them directly:

http://www.stromma.se/en/STOCKHOLM/Tours/Stockholm-Sightseeing/Boat-Tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

bokning@stromma.se

http://royalsightseeing.com/; email:

torbjorn.karlsson@rederimalaren.se

Time tables for 2013 are not available yet but you can always ask them directly:

http://www.stromma.se/en/STOCKHOLM/Tours/Stockholm-Sightseeing/Boat-Tours/Hop-on-Hop-off/

bokning@stromma.se

http://royalsightseeing.com/; email:

torbjorn.karlsson@rederimalaren.se

Well I asked them & this is the prompt reply :(

Dear Mr. xxxx,

I’m afraid not. The hop-on, hop-off boat tour doesn’t start operating until 10 am.

Med Vänlig Hälsning / Best Regards

So, if that is the case how to get to Vasa from Stadsgarden by public transit?

Dear Mr. xxxx,

I’m afraid not. The hop-on, hop-off boat tour doesn’t start operating until 10 am.

Oh no! That's a shame. I will need to figure out how to get there by public transportation as well.

Dear Mr. xxxx,

You will have two options.

Option one is to either walk or go by bus #53 from Londonviadukten at Stadsgården to Slussen.

Then change to bus #76 from Slussen to Djurgårdsbron and from there walk about 500 meters to Vasa.

The other option is walking or going by bus to Slussen and from

there taking Djurgårdsfärjan to Allmänna Gränd at Djurgården and

walk a few hundred meters to Vasa.

Both options will take about the same amount of time.

Buses requires pre-paid tickets or coupons while Djurgårdsfärjan tickets can be bought with either cash or card.

Edited by Desdichado62

Dear Mr. xxxx,

That is odd because according to earlier posts on this thread, the HOHO boats usually run early on a direct route to the Vasa when ships are in port. Maybe because it is a Sunday, they don't?? We will be visiting May 31st and have purchased the Stockholm cards which we received by mail to catch the bus from Stadsgarden to Slussen then to Vasa as per Desdichado's option one in his previous post. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

That is odd because according to earlier posts on this thread, the HOHO boats usually run early on a direct route to the Vasa when ships are in port. Maybe because it is a Sunday, they don't?? We will be visiting May 31st and have purchased the Stockholm cards which we received by mail to catch the bus from Stadsgarden to Slussen then to Vasa as per Desdichado's option one in his previous post. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

Yes Dolfans I saw earlier post and I am hoping he is incorrect. Maybe some of the early season cruisers (like you) will post whether the HOHO boats run early. They were/are a key point in our travel day in Stockholm.

Dolfans from Miami

That's what I had read too and what I had been planning on. I'm am now thinking about the Stockholm card and the use of public transportation. We will be in Stockholm on June 10, a Monday.