Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

After seeing your beautiful photos, I for one would love the opportunity to visit that time of year. Maybe something to consider for a 2014 trip!

Dolfans from Miami

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do!"

Walt Disney

Its very nice in the winter as well but snow is required otherwise it will be very greyish.

Glad you like the photos, here are a couple of more:

Royal Theatre (The Opera) with the statue of Karl XII.

IMG_0259_zps521bf4a7.jpg

At the small house to the left you can rent skates and go skating at the ice in Kungsträdgården.

IMG_0261_zpsc0ec4e5e.jpg

More pictures from Kungsträdgården:

IMG_0268_zpscee965dd.jpg

IMG_0270_zpscd46d6cf.jpg

IMG_0263_zps692514e3.jpg

The final part of my Stockholm Yule fair Photo review will show some of the decorations around central Stockholm.

Have in mind that since it was dark the photos are of somewhat lower quality.

Light decorations at Drottninggatan.

IMG_0308_zpsa0125ba1.jpg

Klarabergsgatan with Åhléns department store to the right.

IMG_0307_zpse93ccc6c.jpg

The roundabout at Sergels torg.

IMG_0303_zps3f116676.jpg

Malmskillnadsbron that passes over Kungsgatan.

IMG_0276_zps563602aa.jpg

All images can be found in this album:

http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/ThunderboltDragon/library/Julmarknad

Edited by Desdichado62

Can anyone recommend a Swedish beer to try as well as food to try? My husband and I are fairly adventurous and love to try out local food and beer. I'm trying to avoid Swedish meatballs just because we are familar with them already.

Typical Swedish food to try well... some suggestions. Falukorv (especially gratinated with cheese and apples),

Raggmunk, Stekt strömming, kanelbullar, nyponsoppa.

When it comes to beer i can't give you any recommendations since I dont drink beer myself.

You can read the wikipedia article about it though. On the other hand perhaps Eskilstuna Ölkultur beer

could be something for you? A list of where it is available in Stockholm.

*edit, just remembered some more food to try;

crisp bread with hard boiled and sliced eggs topped with Swedish caviar (cod roe). A picture of it.

more pictures:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5263/5675807441_3effa99550_z.jpg

http://sweduck.se/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_0004.jpg

http://static4.devote.se/gallery/big/20121226/ddf154d2c4097bafd1c4730d463f6cf7.jpg

Edited by Desdichado62

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....[/quote

Just wondering if this plan is do able, boat docks at 8 NCL Star.....get off board the water taxi, do a full tour around then get off for the changing of the guard(which stop?) then go to Ice Hotel for the tour (which stop) then Old Town, then back to ship

Is this a okay plan?:confused::confused:

Just wondering if this plan is do able, boat docks at 8 NCL Star.....get off board the water taxi, do a full tour around then get off for the changing of the guard(which stop?) then go to Ice Hotel for the tour (which stop) then Old Town, then back to ship

Is this a okay plan?:confused::confused:

You should do changing of the guards and the old Town at the same time

since the changing of the guards is at the Royal Palace in the Old town

To visit the ice hotel you will need a private jet since it is in the northern most part of Sweden. ;)

But I assume you mean the Ice Bar? Which is at Vasaplan, very close to the central station just a short walk from Old Town.

For sightseeing boat stops see map. Have in mind that your ship might dock at

the northern berth at Frihamnen and not at the berth shown on the map which requires a little more time.

Important times:

The boat tours does not start until almost 10 am.

Changing of the guards: Mon-Sat 12.15 (pm), Sun 13.15 (1.15pm).

Ice bar opens at 11.15 (am).

Edited by Desdichado62

You should do changing of the guards and the old Town at the same time

since the changing of the guards is at the Royal Palace in the Old town

To visit the ice hotel you will need a private jet since it is in the northern most part of Sweden. ;)

But I assume you mean the Ice Bar? Which is at Vasaplan, very close to the central station just a short walk from Old Town.

For sightseeing boat stops see map. Have in mind that your ship might dock at

the northern berth at Frihamnen and not at the berth shown on the map which requires a little more time.

Important times:

The boat tours does not start until almost 10 am.

Changing of the guards: Mon-Sat 12.15 (pm), Sun 13.15 (1.15pm).

Ice bar opens at 11.15 (am).

Thanks, for the info & times

So if we dock at Frihamnen we would need to take shuttle into Old Town and then do Old Town, Royal Palace then Ice Bar Then maybe do a ride around on the water taxi before going back to the boat.

If we dock at the closer berth, we could do Water Taxi at 10 into Old Town, then walk to Royal Palace for 12:15 as we are in on Mon then over to Ice Bar back to Old Town until it is time to water taxi back to ship

Does that sound like a plan?:)

North-bound,

Thank you for this map (from your post on #430). It has been such a resource for me in my research. I just want to clarify one thing to make sure I'm reading the map correctly.

Docking at Frihamen port in August on a Friday. I've utilized street view on google maps...fabulous tool for visuals.

Bus 76 from Frihamen to get to Djurgardsbron....I would get the bus going in the direction of Katalina Sofia?

Bus 76 from Djurgardsbron to Gamla Stan (the Slottsbacken stop) for the Nobel Museum...I would get the bus 76 in the same direction (Katalina Sofia), yes?

And finally, back to Frihamen port from the Slottsbacken stop, I would get bus 76 in the Ropsten T-bana direction?

Just wanted to make notes for the proper direction on my map.

Thank you!

Melissa

I've utilized street view on google maps...fabulous tool for visuals.

Indeed it is. Great for simulating the planned trips at home before traveling as you can actually "walk" on the map. Highly recommended.

Bus 76 from Frihamen to get to Djurgardsbron....I would get the bus going in the direction of Katalina Sofia?

Bus 76 from Djurgardsbron to Gamla Stan (the Slottsbacken stop) for the Nobel Museum...I would get the bus 76 in the same direction (Katalina Sofia), yes?

And finally, back to Frihamen port from the Slottsbacken stop, I would get bus 76 in the Ropsten T-bana direction?

Just wanted to make notes for the proper direction on my map.

You got the directions completely right but note that for what you call direction "Katalina-Sofia" (actually its Katarina with a "r") the sign on the bus will say "N. Hammarby hamnen"

Winter table:

http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/v76.pdf

Indeed it is. Great for simulating the planned trips at home before traveling as you can actually "walk" on the map. Highly recommended.

You got the directions completely right but note that for what you call direction "Katalina-Sofia" (actually its Katarina with a "r") the sign on the bus will say "N. Hammarby hamnen"

Winter table:

http://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/v76.pdf

Thank you so much for your insight on this. I've made the notations for the proper directions on my notes. I couldn't quite see the name so guessed that it was Katalina! :o Off to the eye doctor in March anyhow!

The new 2013 Stockholm traffic map...that is nice! and the 76 timetable albiet the winter version. Gives me an idea of timing. Thank you so much!

Have a great day!

Melissa

It helps me so much to see a visual of the attraction we are trying to get to, so I know what to look for. Last night I was looking for the entrance to the Royal Armory, so we know exactly where to go. From a previous post deep in this thread, I had a note that the entrance was on the south side. Found it using street view. That is a discreet door and a small sign (but it was the hanging sign that caught my eye because I was just reviewing the Royal Armory's website) ! If I hadn't "street-viewed", I am certain we would have missed it.

Thank you again for all your help!

Melissa

OK. A lot of questions. Our ship docks at 8 or 8:30 in Frihamnen. Looks like we need to take the 76 bus to get to the Vasa. It doesn't open until 10 but seems best to head there first. (and how long would it take to walk from the ship to the Vasa if we have a lot of time to kill?) Is it worth buying a Stockholm Card to use for transportation and the Vasa? Can we buy the cards where we get off the ship? What is the best way to get from the Vasa to Gamla Stan, get back on the 76 bus or take a boat or ferry (and is that covered by the Stockholm card)? Also if we have time to go to the Ice Bar is that a fairly short walk from Gamla Stan? Thanks!

I have some other questions, please. If one of the Stockholm experts would mind addressing? I very much appreciate your help!

I'm pouring over the sl.se website, reviewing my ticket options and comparing.

If we (2 people) buy just zone tickets (zone A only) for 36 SEK each, do we have to buy an SL plastic access card (20 SEK) as the medium for these types of tickets? These zone tickets are essentially paper tickets?

On the 24-hour SL Travel card, the true cost would be 135 SEK to include the 20 SEK for the plastic access card, correct? (115SEK for the travel card and an additional 20 SEK for the plastic access card medium).

On the coupon zone tickets (i.e. prepaid strip). Does an entire 16 coupon strip within Zone A expire within 1 hour of the first time stamp on 2 of the coupon zone tickets? Or does the 1 hour expiration apply only to the coupon zone tickets time-stamped to that specific journey (i.e. 2 coupon zone tickets per person to get from Frihamnen to Djursgardsbron stop)?

I hope I am making sense! :o

Thank you!

Melissa

Edited by JeffandMelissa
clarify one of the questions!

If you buy regular pre-paid coupon-strips you don't need the acess card.

The fee for the plastic card is not included in the price for the 24-hour SL-card.

Then there are zone-tickets, that you only buy the amount necessary for each journey, these will be valid for 75 minutes from time of purchase.

Pre-paid strips will not be sold after March 31st 2013. Only zone-tickets or SL-travel card will be available for non-Swedish travellers.

Edited by Desdichado62

OK. A lot of questions. Our ship docks at 8 or 8:30 in Frihamnen. Looks like we need to take the 76 bus to get to the Vasa. It doesn't open until 10 but seems best to head there first. (and how long would it take to walk from the ship to the Vasa if we have a lot of time to kill?) Is it worth buying a Stockholm Card to use for transportation and the Vasa? Can we buy the cards where we get off the ship? What is the best way to get from the Vasa to Gamla Stan, get back on the 76 bus or take a boat or ferry (and is that covered by the Stockholm card)? Also if we have time to go to the Ice Bar is that a fairly short walk from Gamla Stan? Thanks!

Walking distance is about 2.6KM (1.8 mile): https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&daddr=Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.329994,18.104696&sspn=0.02894,0.118361&geocode=FXmAiQMdHngUAQ%3BFbpJiQMdshEUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=prv&z=14

Also you don't have to walk the long way around the field but walk straight across the field called Gärdet.

The Stockholm-card is not a valid ticket for Djurgårdsfärjan but IS

valid for Sjövägen. http://www.sjovagen.nu/web/page.aspx?refid=32

Judging by what you want to do, I would advice against getting a Stockholm Card.

Basically you can walk from the ship to Vasa, then go with Djurgårdsfärjan to Gamla Stan från Vasa.

Walk from Gamla Stan to the ice bar and then walk from the ice bar to Nybroplan where you can go with Sjövägen to Frihamnen.

For direction to ice bar from Gamla Stan, browse back a few pages and you will have the info linked.

Edited by Desdichado62

If you buy regular pre-paid coupon-strips you don't need the acess card.

The fee for the plastic card is not included in the price for the 24-hour SL-card.

Then there are zone-tickets, that you only buy the amount necessary for each journey, these will be valid for 75 minutes from time of purchase.

Pre-paid strips will not be sold after March 31st 2013. Only zone-tickets or SL-travel card will be available for non-Swedish travellers.

Thank you for the clarification on the ticket options! Good to know that the zone tickets are valid for only 75 minutes! Whew!, if I went with the zone ticket option, I was going to buy all my zone tickets in the morning to save time later, prior to that first bus ride. Thank you for saving me an unpleasant surprise! And good to know that the prepaid strips are phasing out.

Thank you for all your help!

Melissa

Some video links to get ideas / assist planning:

Stockholm, Sweden three day tour, part 1

Stockholm, Sweden three day tour, part 2

Rick Stevens Gamla Stan

Rick Stevens Skansen

Rick Stevens Vasa

Rick Stevens City Hall

Rick Stevens Nobel Museum & City Hall (again)

Does anyone have any comment on the Stockholm brunch cruise? We are in Stockholm for two days and thought this would be a good thing to do on one of them.

Sue

Yeah I did the Brunch cruise with Strömma Kanalbolag's S/S Stockholm two years ago and i really liked it.

The food was great (especially the deserts) and the ships interior was very stylish.