Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thank you very much! I just clicked on every station of all 3 metro lines. Kungstradgarden, my favorite, does not show an advisory of being closed, but obviously you've told us it IS! Maybe they will update the site soon - such a disappointment, but I know things have to be protected and renovated, etc. There is an advisory for T-Centralen that states that the blue leaves on the ceiling there are covered with plastic netting. At least a couple stations not too far from Centralen look awesome, so hopefully I'll be able to visit those.

I was able to use Google translate to get a fairly good idea of what the narrative was, so now I have a much better idea of what stations might interest me, along with info on the artists. That is one beautiful subway system!

Thanks again!

Hi Roothy: If you click on visitor on that site you get a little info in English and lots in pdf downloads. Here is a walking tour also http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Art-guide/Art-Walks/

It is amazing what you learn about via CC! Can't wait for the St. Petersburg "metro" also.

Yes, we're doing Alla Tours, and they do a short subway ride in St. Petersburg. I'm not sure which station it is, though - suppose I could ask them and look for a preview! I always check out the subways anywhere I go. So far, Prague's has been the best, but that pales in comparison to what I've seen of Stockholm's!

Wish our metro here (Wash DC) was half as nice as either one!

I will check out the "Visitor" section of the site north-bound gave; thanks.

Unfortunately the organized tours conducted by SL will not use the Blue Line while Kungsträdgården is closed. If you take the bus service suggested to Rådhuset and then enter the blue line for a ride "out and back" you can see these stations. I think they are some of the most interesting. I wish they published more information in English...but they are worth seeing. I've been warned to use some caution at the stations toward the end of the blue line because the neighborhoods can be rough but I think the person was being a bit prejudice.

After doing a little research (unfortunately without a subway map in front of me!) I'm still a bit confused on the Kungstradgarden station. Is it closed completely, with no trains running through it, and nobody allowed to enter it? That's what I assumed, but from the above, I'm wondering if any trains go through the station without stopping that would offer a glimpse of the art work. Do the trains run through there at all? It sounds like a dumb question, I know, but that's exactly what happened in Berlin when the Berlin Wall was built, so anything's possible, I guess!

After doing a little research (unfortunately without a subway map in front of me!) I'm still a bit confused on the Kungstradgarden station. Is it closed completely, with no trains running through it, and nobody allowed to enter it? That's what I assumed, but from the above, I'm wondering if any trains go through the station without stopping that would offer a glimpse of the art work.

Unfortunately Kungsträdgården is a terminus station. The part of the line going on to Vasa and Skansen was never built.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stockholm_metrosystem_map.svg

Edited by Ultima Thule

Hi, I have some questions that might have been answered, but I have never been able to find the info I am looking for.

1. What direction does the HoHo boat run (clockwise or counter-clockwise)? I never found a definitive answer.

2. What is the best way to get to the Vasa Museum from Stadsgarden pier?

3. What is the best/fastest way to get from Vasa to Gamla Stan?

4. What is the best/fastest way from Gamla Stan back to the ship at Stadsgarden?

Thanks sooooo very much!!

Susan

I know you have probably answered all of this before but I need to ask in order to feel confident that we are on the right track for our part day in Stockholm.

We are on the Emerald Princess arriving on Tuesday June 12 from 7am to 2pm only! We are docking at S167.

My plan is to purchase a combo HOHO and Vasa ticket at the booth at the dock and hop on one of the boats going directly to the Vasa so we can be there as early as possible (hopefully 8:30am when they open). Spend approximately 1 hour touring the Vasa Museum. After that I would like to take the HOHO over to the Royal Palace stop and walk over to City Hall and catch the 10am tour. After the tour decide if we want to go up the tower at 11:15am. This will take us till about noon at which time we would walk over to the Stockholm Cathedral for a quick tour. Then wander around Old Town and catch the HOHO back to the ship for 1:30 all aboard time.

Is there anything we should consider eliminating or adding? Is is possible to cover all of this in our short time frame?

I had considered purchasing the Stockholm Card rather than the HOHO pass but wasn't sure if the bus was as efficient as the HOHO boats.

Thank you for any information you can provide to make our day in Stockholm an amazing one!

Hi, we are going on this ship and have the same questions and I was wondering what you ended up doing and what, if anything, you might do differently. Thanks in advance for you help!!

Susan

Yes, we're doing Alla Tours, and they do a short subway ride in St. Petersburg. I'm not sure which station it is, though - suppose I could ask them and look for a preview! I always check out the subways anywhere I go. So far, Prague's has been the best, but that pales in comparison to what I've seen of Stockholm's!

Wish our metro here (Wash DC) was half as nice as either one!

I will check out the "Visitor" section of the site north-bound gave; thanks.

Be happy when the D.C. metro stays on the tracks!

Hi, I have some questions that might have been answered, but I have never been able to find the info I am looking for.

1. What direction does the HoHo boat run (clockwise or counter-clockwise)? I never found a definitive answer. They ran clockwise when we were their last week

2. What is the best way to get to the Vasa Museum from Stadsgarden pier? Until 10:00, the HOHO boats went directly to Vasa last week from the pier

4. What is the best/fastest way from Gamla Stan back to the ship at Stadsgarden?

Susan

See above for answers to 1 and 2

Hi, we are going on this ship and have the same questions and I was wondering what you ended up doing and what, if anything, you might do differently. Thanks in advance for you help!!

Susan

Hi Susan,

We ended up purchasing a Stockholm card in advance (had it mailed to us) We got off the ship immediately and followed the blue line part way - took a set of stairs up to the main road and caught the first bus going by - included in the card. At Slussen, we asked at the info desk where to catch bus 76 to Djugarden (sorry if I spelled it wrong) stop - it was a short walk across the bridge to the Vasa. After the Vasa we took a bus back to Gamla Stan - went to the Stockholm Cathedral and wandered a bit. Then we walked over to City Hall for the 11:30am tour. When this was done we caught a bus back to Slussen then asked which bus to get back to the ship. We were back just after 1pm. It was a wonderful day and the public transportation is very easy. The Stockholm Card was about $63.00 each and we used about $48. worth. We knew we may not get our money's worth - but we felt it was still a good deal with the convenience of having it for the buses and the entrances. $68 to see the Vasa, the Cathedral and City Hall was great value.

If you have any other questions - I'd be glad to answer them for you!

Diane

1. What direction does the HoHo boat run (clockwise or counter-clockwise)? I never found a definitive answer.

2. What is the best way to get to the Vasa Museum from Stadsgarden pier?

Susan

http://savvyguides.com/baltic/stockholm

This link has some of your answers about times etc.

Thanks for the info Diane!! I agree about the card. I had thought about getting one in other ports where we would be visiting a lot of the sights and using public transportation simply because we could use it for the majority, if not all, of the costs. It sounds like you visited the exact same things we plan on going to! I don't think we were going to tour City Hall, but we were planning on going there. Did you like the tour or would you suggest we skip it? We wanted to see what we could but not be in the crush of people rushing back to the ship. Also, do you remember about what time you were allowed to get off the ship that morning?

Susan

Hi Susan,

We ended up purchasing a Stockholm card in advance (had it mailed to us) We got off the ship immediately and followed the blue line part way - took a set of stairs up to the main road and caught the first bus going by - included in the card. At Slussen, we asked at the info desk where to catch bus 76 to Djugarden (sorry if I spelled it wrong) stop - it was a short walk across the bridge to the Vasa. After the Vasa we took a bus back to Gamla Stan - went to the Stockholm Cathedral and wandered a bit. Then we walked over to City Hall for the 11:30am tour. When this was done we caught a bus back to Slussen then asked which bus to get back to the ship. We were back just after 1pm. It was a wonderful day and the public transportation is very easy. The Stockholm Card was about $63.00 each and we used about $48. worth. We knew we may not get our money's worth - but we felt it was still a good deal with the convenience of having it for the buses and the entrances. $68 to see the Vasa, the Cathedral and City Hall was great value.

If you have any other questions - I'd be glad to answer them for you!

Diane

Thanks for the info Diane!! I agree about the card. I had thought about getting one in other ports where we would be visiting a lot of the sights and using public transportation simply because we could use it for the majority, if not all, of the costs. It sounds like you visited the exact same things we plan on going to! I don't think we were going to tour City Hall, but we were planning on going there. Did you like the tour or would you suggest we skip it? We wanted to see what we could but not be in the crush of people rushing back to the ship. Also, do you remember about what time you were allowed to get off the ship that morning?

Susan

Hi Susan,

We got off the ship shortly after 7am. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour of City Hall and you have to be on a guided tour to see it. They run every hour starting at 9:30am so you may be able to get there earlier then wander around Gamla Stan after.

We used a Copenhagen Card on our arrival - we went a day ahead - we purchased it at the airport and used it to take the train into Copenhagen. Our hotel (the Best Western Hotel Hebron) was a short 2 blocks from the train station. After checking in we headed out with our card - you can use it for the buses but we walked a fair bit the first day. We saw Rosenborg Castle, the Round Tower (great views), did a canal tour, went to the Tivoli gardens at night then onto the Ice Bar (10% discount with the card).

In Oslo, we got off the ship immediately at 10am and purchased an Oslo card from the Information desk at the port. We were very lucky and by the time we walked over to the ferries going to Bygdoy we only had to wait a few minutes. Once across we walked to the Viking Ship Museum - again getting there just before the crowds. After that we walked to the Open Air Museum (Norwegian Folk Museum) to see the Stave Church - we didn't feel we had time to see the whole place and had planned to do the Open Air Museum in Aarhus (which didn't happen as we did not get into port that day) We took to ferry over to the other side of Bygdoy to see the Kon Tiki and Fram Museums. Ferry back to city centre then a quick walk back to the ship for lunch - we didn't have any plans made and felt this would be quicker. After lunch we went to the Akerhus Castle (which is right beside the ship), then the Resistance Museum which is right beside the castle then walked a short distance to City Hall for a wander (no tour). After that we took the tram to Vigeland Sculpture Park and spent an hour or so looking at all the sculptures. We were back to the ship by 5pm. The only things we didn't get to were the Cathedral and Holmenkellen (it seemed too far away to chance it).

We purchased a second Copenhagen Card after our return as we weren't flying out until the next day. With this one we took the city bus out to see the Little Mermaid, then bus back to Amalieborg Castle and went into the museum, then to the Marble Church (no charge for this), went through the Sandsculpture Exhibit (enjoyed seeing 3 Canadian sculptures), then we took a bus back to the train station and took the train to Roskilde to see the Roskilde Cathedral (amazing!) and the Roskilde Museum. There is also a Viking Ship Museum there but we did not get to it (it is not included in the card). Then train back to the city. We went back to the Tivoli that night just to wander. Then up early and onto the train back to the airport (still using our 24 hour card) All in all we got great value for the cards that we purchased and I had done alot of research and asked alot of questions on CC to help make our travels run smoothly.

Sorry for going on so long - but hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else. I'm working the next few days but will try to pop on at night!

Diane

Hi Susan,

With this one we took the city bus out to see the Little Mermaid, then bus back to Amalieborg Castle and went into the museum, then to the Marble Church (no charge for this), went through the Sandsculpture Exhibit (enjoyed seeing 3 Canadian sculptures), then we took a bus back to the train station and took the train to Roskilde to see the Roskilde Cathedral (amazing!) and the Roskilde Museum.

Diane

OK, I haven't seen anyone mention the Sandsculpture Exhibit (unless it's another one I'm thinking of - but I think it's in Riga, not Copenhagen!) What and where is that exhbit?

Thanks for your info! I'm going to CPH soon and trying to figure out what I can cram in my limited time there!

OK, I haven't seen anyone mention the Sandsculpture Exhibit (unless it's another one I'm thinking of - but I think it's in Riga, not Copenhagen!) What and where is that exhbit?

Thanks for your info! I'm going to CPH soon and trying to figure out what I can cram in my limited time there!

Hi there,

Here is a link for the Sand Sculpture Exhibit - it is quite close to the Amalienborg Castle and Nyhavn.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/Events/Copenhagen...Sand-Sculpture...

Diane

I tried using the link Diane posted, but it didn't work for me (or I was too impatient and the site was running slow! LOL). Here is the link when I got there:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/Events/Copenhagen-International-Sand-Sculpture-Festival/382

Also you can visit the website for the Festival directly as well at:

http://cphsand.com/eng/frontpage/ (English version)

They have actually already finished sculpting the 20 pieces and they are on display until August 5th. The last website I posted shows pictures of them.

We will be in Stockholm the first week of September for about 3 days. Can you recommend an itinerary. We think we would like to spend a day at or on the archepelgo. Is it too late in the season? We would prefer to keep things at a less than extravagant cost, unless it is a can't be missed activity. Thanks so much.

Lindsay & Melissa

We will be in Stockholm the first week of September for about 3 days. Can you recommend an itinerary. We think we would like to spend a day at or on the archepelgo. Is it too late in the season? We would prefer to keep things at a less than extravagant cost, unless it is a can't be missed activity. Thanks so much.

Lindsay & Melissa

no its not too late, Probably less private boats and such but apart from that no problem.

The passengers boats in the archipelago goes during then entire year but the organized trips only until mid August.

you can read this brochure about the archipelago: http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/archipelago-traffic/index.html

Edited by Desdichado62

Can someone clarify for me on the SL Travel Card for 1 Day:

They say that it is transferable and can be used for multiple travelers but not at the same time. What does that mean exactly? If we had one card between my husband and myself could I go through a turnstile and then hand the card to my husband to use?

We're taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel in the afternoon. I figure we will walk to the Gamla Stan and back that night. The next day I am thinking of purchasing the 1 day Stockholm Card and see all the museums and use the transport on it. The following day around noon we will be taking a taxi to the port, but will probably get back off the ship and tour a bit more before we leave that evening. I am thinking of buying the 1 day SL Transport Card for that day.

Does this make sense or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Hello,

Looking for some information. We are docking along Skeppsbron in Gamla Stan. I'm looking forward to doing two things in the day we are in port. I'd like to visit the Vasa Museum and I'd like to visit the Royal Palace. I've heard the lines to the Vasa Museum can get very long so I was thinking of heading there first. What's the best way? Should I walk down to the Slussen ferry or would a HOHO be faster or even a bus? How about on the way back. I wouldn't mind a leisurely ferry/boat ride across the bay/harbour.

Any other suggestions on things to do if the Vasa and Palace won't take all day?

Thanks in advance,

--Jeff

They say that it is transferable and can be used for multiple travelers but not at the same time. What does that mean exactly? If we had one card between my husband and myself could I go through a turnstile and then hand the card to my husband to use?

We're taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel in the afternoon. I figure we will walk to the Gamla Stan and back that night. The next day I am thinking of purchasing the 1 day Stockholm Card and see all the museums and use the transport on it. The following day around noon we will be taking a taxi to the port, but will probably get back off the ship and tour a bit more before we leave that evening. I am thinking of buying the 1 day SL Transport Card for that day.

The SL travel card is good for only one person at a time, so no, you would not be able to hand it back to anyone else and get through the gate and you would be subject to a 1,200 kronor fine if caught.

The travel strips are a different matter. They cost 200 kronor and are good for 8 trips. You would hand the strip to the bus driver (or the ticket window on the subway) and indicate how many people will be traveling.

Hope this helps,

Al

Thanks Al - it does help.

You say the strip is good for 8 trips, is that 8 trips no matter how many zones it is?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have been to the websites and read everything I can find and am still confused.

Thank you in advance.

Hello! If you take a taxi be sure to check the price in advance. Guess around 4-600sek for a car. It is a mess and they really "rob" foreign visitors with the price. Ask in the tourist info at the airport and also ask for what taxicompany to take. (Some are better than others.) And it doesn`t goes faster with the taxi than the buses to downtown center of Stockholm and that is only around 100 sek .

Have a good stay and usually it is lovely weather in early september./chris58

I am sure this has been asked many times but I need to finish my research on Stockholm. We arrive at the Stadsgarden port at 9 am. and wish to go to Vasa, Changing of the Guard and Gama Stan. What is the quickest and cheapest way to get to Vasa? What would the cost of transportation be? Once back from Vasa, we will probably walk everywhere else. Thanks!

Thanks Al - it does help.

You say the strip is good for 8 trips, is that 8 trips no matter how many zones it is?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have been to the websites and read everything I can find and am still confused.

Thank you in advance.

That would be 8 trips within Zone A only. Zone A is really all you would need. By the way, the strips (once the time is stamped) are valid for 1 hour. You could ride the bus, subway etc on the same stamp. The travel strips are NOT valid for the ferry from Slussen to Djurgården (Vasa).

Enjoy,

Al