Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

We are arriving at Frihamnen. How close is that to transportation etc.

From Frihamnen there is a bus 76 which is very useful for cruise passengers. The bus stop is easy to find, a short walk from the dock. But you have to obtain tickets for the bus before you board, it is not possible to pay the driver. Tickets should be available in the little kiosk on the quai, just where you leave the ship, where there is also some information.

This bus has a stop, Djurgårdsbron, from where it is possible to walk to the Vasa Museum. It also continues to Gamla Stan. There is only one problem, it does not run on Sundays.

Here is a link to the map where you can see your port, the main sights in Stockholm, and also part of the route for bus 76.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.326447,18.081436&spn=0.058586,0.117245

Thank you for being so helpful! Do you have any suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel? We are big walkers, and were considering the Sheraton. We also would like to stay at a hotel near the airport after the cruise, since we will be flying out early the next day. Is there anything to do near the airport? Would it be worthwhile to rent a car and drive around?

and how do you say Thank You in Swedish?

Thank you for being so helpful! Do you have any suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel? We are big walkers, and were considering the Sheraton. We also would like to stay at a hotel near the airport after the cruise, since we will be flying out early the next day. Is there anything to do near the airport? Would it be worthwhile to rent a car and drive around?

and how do you say Thank You in Swedish?

I don't usually recommend hotels since I never stay in a hotel in Stockholm. But even if I am sure Sheraton is OK as a hotel I don't think it has a great location. There is a lot of traffic around it, close to the railway station, and in an area with business and administration buildings. Personally I would rather look for a hotel in just south of Gamla Stan or in Gamla Stan. Or if you want to be north of Gamla Stan, look more to the east.

But renting a car for the day at Arlanda airport could be a great idea. There is of course nothing to see just around the airport itself, but with a car you can easily reach some very nice places.

Quite close to Arlanda is a small ciy named Sigtuna. It is actually Sweden’s oldest city and well worth a visit. If you know St Augustine in Florida, this is sort of similar, but of course older. Here is a link where you can read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigtuna

Close to Sigtuna there is a royal palace named Rosersberg that you could also visit. Here is more information:

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/royalpalaces/rosersbergpalace.4.396160511584257f218000732.html

And if you drive a little further beyond Sigtuna there is a really great palace named Skokloster that is much more interesting than Rosersberg . More information here:

http://skoklostersslott.se/en/visit/castle

Further away from Arlanda there is also a bigger city named Uppsala. It is also an old city and has a university and a cathedral which it the seat of our archbishop. There is also a palace. But even if Uppsala is well worth a visit I would personally prefer Sigtuna and Skokloster.

I am sure you can find the places I have named on a Google map.

And "Thank you" in Swedish would be "Tack". But since it is so short we would often say "Tack så mycket" which means thank you so much.

Please can you tell me if you can use Euro's in Stockholm, or do I have to get Krona?

Thanks

That depends on what you want to pay for. The best thing in most places is to use a card, it is only sometimes, mostly when you buy something small, that they will not take credit cards. The Euro is a foreign currency and it is up to every shop or restaurant etc. to decide if they will accept it or not. Places with a lot of tourists usually do, but with a really bad exchange rate.

Hi north-bound. I was a little disappointed to find out that the cruise ship I'll be on docks in Frihamnen, and all we do is go to the airport for the flight home. Given that, do you think I'll be able to see any of downtown Stockholm at all from the ship as it comes in to dock? Also, I've read that the approach to Stockhom through the archipelago is scenic, but would you or anyone else be able to tell me if this applies to coming in to Frihamnen, and if so, about how far out I should start looking for nice scenery, islands, etc.? Thanks.

Edited by roothy123

Hi north-bound. I was a little disappointed to find out that the cruise ship I'll be on docks in Frihamnen, and all we do is go to the airport for the flight home. Given that, do you think I'll be able to see any of downtown Stockholm at all from the ship as it comes in to dock? Also, I've read that the approach to Stockhom through the archipelago is scenic, but would you or anyone else be able to tell me if this applies to coming in to Frihamnen, and if so, about how far out I should start looking for nice scenery, islands, etc.? Thanks.

Hi,

Sailing in to Frihamnen you will see 99.9% of the archipelago. The sail in takes about 4 hours, so whenever your ship is due to dock you can start enjoying the archipelago 4 hours before that. The sail-in can be quite early, but the sail-out is just as nice.

Have a good time,

Al

Edited by Al_Frescoe

Your ship is booked to dock at Stadsgården Port. That means you could use the Ho/Ho-boat, but there are other options also. Gamla Stan (the Old Town) is a 25-30 minutes walk from where your ship will be docked.

I can not give much advice about what to see in Stockholm, that depends on your own individual interests. But most visitors want to see the Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan.

we will be in stockholm from 8:00 (morning) to 15:00 (afternoon) - so I think the only two things we can do is the Vasa museum and the Gamla Stan/Old Town.

So what should we do first (Vasa or Gamla Stan)?

Which HoHo-Boat-Company should we take? From where?

Are there some combinated tickets (hoho + Vasa)?

If yes, what would be the price? And where do we get them?

What should we visit at Gamla Stan? What is a "must-have-seen" for this short time?

Greetings from Austria

chipsy57

As Al has already answered you will have plenty of time to see the archipelago as you enter Stockholm. But you will probably have to be up rather early. If for instance your ship will dock at 7.00 am it will start going through sometime between 3.00 and 4.00 am.

Docking at Frihamnen you will not be able to see downtown Stockholm. For a cruise that ends or starts in Stockholm Frihamnen has been the normal dock as there have been no facilities at Stadsgården to handle embarkation and disembarkation. I think this may be changing but I don't know when.

we will be in stockholm from 8:00 (morning) to 15:00 (afternoon) - so I think the only two things we can do is the Vasa museum and the Gamla Stan/Old Town.

So what should we do first (Vasa or Gamla Stan)?

Which HoHo-Boat-Company should we take? From where?

Are there some combinated tickets (hoho + Vasa)?

If yes, what would be the price? And where do we get them?

What should we visit at Gamla Stan? What is a "must-have-seen" for this short time?

I am afraid I don't really know the answers to your questions. I have never been on a Ho/Ho-boat. From what I undertand there will be boats waiting near the ship at Stadsgården to take you directly to the Vasa Museum. I guess they will all go the same way, but just ask to make sure you catch a boat going in the other direction. I don't know the cost but there should not be any combinated tickets for the boats and the museum.

Since you will dock at 7.00 am and the Vasa Museum does not open untill 8.30 I still recommend you go first to the Vasa to be there shortly before it opens. But I would rather use the time to walk to Slussen (the south end of Gamla Stan) and take the regular ferry from there to Djurgården where the museum is located. The regular ferry costs 45 kronor one way. There will be a short walk from the ferry to the museum.

After the museum you could either take the ferry back again or take bus 76 from Djurgården Bridge. But if you take the bus you would need a ticket before you enter the bus and I am not sure there is a place to buy tickets close to the museum.

In Gamla Stan there is the Cathedral and the Royal Palace. Not much to see inside the palace but there is a nice museum, the Royal Armory; that has an entrance from one side of the palace.

Most people enjoy just walking about in Gamla Stan. Some like to watch the changing of the guards at the palace, but it is usually very crowded and takes about an hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello north-bound and any other experts,

We will dock with the NCL Sun from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, June 16, at Frihamnen and plan to go to Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan.

The public transport website shows Bus 1 and Bus 76 as the options, but Bus 76 doesn't begin until 9:06 a.m. I also thought it took just 1 bus ride, but the website adds a tram, the metro or another bus, depending on the departure time:

8:21 a.m.: take Bus 1, get off at Stureplan, walk to Nyproplan, take City Tram 7 to Nordiska (Vasa).

8:36 a.m.: take Bus 1, get off at Värtavägen, from Karlaplan take Metro line 13 to Östermalmstorg, then City Tram 7 from Nybroplan to Vasa.

8:51 a.m.: take bus 1, get off at Värtavägen, take bus 44 from Karlaplan to Vasa.

9:06 a.m.: take bus 76, get off at Djurgårdsbron, take bus 44 from Strandvägen to Vasa.

We hope to depart Frihamnen before the first Bus 76, but the earlier options seem more difficult, and I haven't read much about the tram. Are these options easier to figure out than they seem? Is there a better way? We'd prefer public transportation, but if the earlier buses are too much of a hassle, what would a taxi cost?

If we wait for Bus 76, how long is the walk from Djurgårdsbron to Vasa?

Also, would you agree with the website's recommendations for the return journey from Gamla Stan:

departs every 10 minutes: Metro red line 13 to Karlaplan or Gardet and then pick up Bus 1 to Frihamnen.

departs every 20 minutes: Metro red line 14 to Slussen and then pick up bus 76 to Frihamnen.

Is the Metro easy to navigate? How easy is it to find bus stops from the metro stations?

Thanks,

Barbara

nhtraveler313

Edited by nhtraveler313
typo

Am hoping to buy some of this Swedish loose tea for my Tai Chi instructor while we are in Stockholm. Their website does not ship outside of Sweden. :(

Can anyone tell me where I might find some of this tea? Our ship is docking at Frihamnen on 7/12 from 0900 to 1700 and I will have as much of that time as I need to find my way to a source if I can ony identify a source in Stockholm.

Any help will be appreciated.

We will be arriving at 8:10 PM on a Sunday and were told that the best way to get to the Stockholm Sheraton would be taking the train from the airport.

My husband is weary about getting on the train with our bags - is it fairly easy? And is it marked where we get off the train to find the hotel? After our long day of flying from CA I'd like to make sure this works fairly easy.

We are in our 50's and able body so that isn't an issue. Thank you for any advice.

We will be in Stockholm on July 4 from the Emerald Princess at the Stadsgarden docks. We arrive at 7 and sail away at 2. It is our last port. We will be tired and it will be our last chance to shop. My current thinking is to go to the NK and to the Stockholm IKEA. Any suggestions how I would best organize this? Any help is much appreciated.

We will be arriving at 8:10 PM on a Sunday and were told that the best way to get to the Stockholm Sheraton would be taking the train from the airport.

My husband is weary about getting on the train with our bags - is it fairly easy? And is it marked where we get off the train to find the hotel? After our long day of flying from CA I'd like to make sure this works fairly easy.

We are in our 50's and able body so that isn't an issue. Thank you for any advice.

The train you talk about is the Arlanda Express, which goes from Arlanda Aiport to the central station where you will get off.

You cant miss the stop since it only stops at the airport and the central station. The hotel is also nearby, just go out through the main exit (Vasagatan),

cross the street, turn right and the hotel will be on your left after some 250m.

Edited by Desdichado62

I would like to go to the ICA Maxi on Lindhagensgatan from the dock at Frihamnen. Can anyone tell me how to get there by bus or metro?

It looks as if I could get bus #1 from Frihamnen to near Fridhemsplan and then pick up bus 52. Is this a very long trip? It appears to be somewhat roundabout.

Alternatively, I would like to go from Frihamnen to the Hemkop Ostermalm on Nybrogatan near the Ostermalms Saluhall but I am not seeing how to do that. Would I again try bus #1 and get off near Sergels torg and walk??

Thanks for any help.

The train you talk about is the Arlanda Express, which goes from Arlanda Aiport to the central station where you will get off.

You cant miss the stop since it only stops at the airport and the central station. The hotel is also nearby, just go out through the main exit (Vasagatan),

cross the street, turn right and the hotel will be on your left after some 250m.

Thank you! Upon your advice we will take the train and since it's the weekend I was able to order the 2 for 1 tickets. They put the tickets on my credit card (which is foreign to me) - I just hope it works.

Thanks again for your help.

I would like to go to the ICA Maxi on Lindhagensgatan from the dock at Frihamnen. Can anyone tell me how to get there by bus or metro?

It looks as if I could get bus #1 from Frihamnen to near Fridhemsplan and then pick up bus 52. Is this a very long trip? It appears to be somewhat roundabout.

Alternatively, I would like to go from Frihamnen to the Hemkop Ostermalm on Nybrogatan near the Ostermalms Saluhall but I am not seeing how to do that. Would I again try bus #1 and get off near Sergels torg and walk??

Thanks for any help.

At which time and date are you planning to go?

Could you advise the flatest way to go from the Slussen ferry pier to Stortorget square? My husband will be pushing me and on street view everything seems to be up hill.

Unforrtunately Stortorget is situated "On top" so no matter what route you take its uphill.

However judging by street view, its possible that Södra Bankogränd->Järntorget->Svartmangatan (link) is less steep then some other routes.

Possible also Järntorgsgatan->Västerlånggatan->Tyska Brinken->Svartmangatan->Stortorget (link).

I think this is how less steep it can get.

(sorry for double post, outside editing time frame).

Thanks for your help. I have 'wandered down' some of those streets but Vasterlaggatan always seems to be so packed with people getting a wheelchair down may be too hard. We may stick to the shoreline from the ferry up to the Royal palace instead and see where we get from there. If it is a nice day we don't really mind what we do and the views look great.

I have read all the posts and am now thoroughly confused.

We are on Emerald Princess and will be i Stockholm 8/6/12, docking at Nynashamn.

How can we get from the port to Gamla Stan?

Thanks for any help !

Are you sure about docking in Nynäshamn? Ports of Stockholm shows Emerald Princess booked to dock at Stadsgården Port in Stockholm on June 12. Of course this could change, but then it should also be changed at their site.

Should you dock in Nynäshamn the easiest thing to do is to take the ship's "DIY" transfer to and from Stockholm. The journey to Stockholm takes almost one hour. Alternatives could be commuter train or taxi (expensive).

Thank you for your offer for advice on Stockholm. We will be there Saturday, June 23 and I understand that's a public holiday. Please let us know if tourist sites, HOHO, stores, etc operate normally or have special hours or if there is anything we should know about being in port that day.

Thank you for your offer for advice on Stockholm. We will be there Saturday, June 23 and I understand that's a public holiday. Please let us know if tourist sites, HOHO, stores, etc operate normally or have special hours or if there is anything we should know about being in port that day.

yeah the entire weekend (Friday-Sunday) is a major public holiday known

as midsummer holidays.

It is likely that some or many museums and such is closed.

Ship Vasa museum is open though, so is the royal palace and Skansen. Historical museum is closed. For the other museums i don't know.

Regarding shopping, Gallerian is closed saturday, NK is closed, Åhléns is closed. About the stores with their own entrance i don't know.

Possible some of the stores in Gamla Stan might be open.

Edited by Desdichado62