Carnival to make a bid for Royal?

About 95% said it could never happen with the remainder talking about Oasis/Allure being a failure, Michael Jackson's memorial, NY City and something about a cruise ship in space. :cool:

Would that be Fhloston Paradise? :D

Fhloston_Paradise_Liner.jpg.c8d99cb4bd4644fed7755c2ab4ce68ae.jpg

People absolutely should be able to say what they want; I have never attempted to police that. Many topics on cruise critic are subjective in nature and one person's opinion is no more or less valid than any other persons'. However some topics do have a "right" or "wrong" answer (i.e. the price of a meal at Chops, whether or not there is still a midnight buffet etc.). The article in question indicated that Carnival Corp. was currently contemplaying bidding $35 per share to take over Royal Caribbean. This is not one of those subjective issues where it might be true or might not be true, this is a factually incorrect statement the article made. That is all I was pointing out.

I am not sure where you think I took something out of context - perhaps you could provide me with examples. I am the type of person who likes to be right, but has no problem admitting I am wrong if that turns out to be the case. I always try to examine issues from multiple view points and do not merely filter the available information to suit my opinion.

I also have never purposely tried to talk down to people (and thank you neg for advocating this). I will be the first to admit I am not always politically correct and do not sugar coat things when I disagree with someone, but my intention is never to put someone down. On this thread I did speak (well type) rather sharply on a couple of posts, but it was only because I was frustrated that some people were still giving so much credence to the article which was a blatant misinformation. I have no porblems with people discussing a "hypothetical" merger of RCL and CCL, but this thread was starting to cause the potential for people to read it and think that CCL was actually possibly going to try and take over RCL in the near future. I was simply making it clear to people reading this thread that this is not the case so that a false rumor of something that would impact all the people on these boards to a high degree would not begin to sink in and spread. That was also my point in the comments about space ship cruises - I was using some dry humor as well as trying to show how far fetched the article the OP refererenced was. :)

You're absolutely correct in your statements about the buyout but I failed to see where others were actually advocating that it was a possibility. Even the link provided was not offering facts but conjecture (though they should not have been and the site wised up to it).

My comment regarding the spaceship was a little humor on my part because you're dry humor was going over like a you know what in church and tried to keep it going. :)

I seriously doubt if Carnival would be dumb enough to want to buy RC. They (RC) are obviously having major financial problems. Of course, if the price were cheap enough, Carnival might consider it! I just hope RC rebounds because I really enjoy cruising on them. I'd hate to see any cruiseline go under.

You're kidding' date=' right?

Oasis and Allure are two of the biggest mistakes Royal ever made. While Oasis might enjoy a few good seasons because of peoples curiosity...no serious cruiser would do it more than once. Not many cruise vets are interesting in a floating shopping mall/amusement park....filled with "for-fee" venues.

Perhaps Dubai will buy 'em and dock them somewhere for a hotel resort.... They sure have nothing to do with cruising..other than that they float.[/quote']

Cruise VETS are not the ones who are being lured by the Oasis. First time cruisers are. It's a whole new ballgame with this girl.

If you can't imagine her being a success, then I have no argument for you.

Well now that G'ma has said it, it must be true. Spoken like a true Carnivore cheerleader. Love that word Carnivore. Have seen it used on here more than a few times. Any Royal ship would be an enhancement to the Carnivore fleet.

Could you imagine what Carnivore would do with the Oasis? Turn Central Park into a pig racing arena and Boardwalk/Aqua theatre into a mega tractor pull arena. Oh the horror.:eek::eek:

Well, like everyone else G'ma has an opinion....several in fact. And, you've missed the point. Carnival wouldn't assume the debt of those monstrosities and would never have them as part of their fleet...on any brand.

You can bet that if there had been a way for Royal to get out of building those ships, they would have. They are sending Royal spiraling into debt that may put an end to RCI as we know it.

Well, another "24 hour news cycle" has passed since this article came out and no substantiation or secondary confirmation to the rumor has come out. With no secondary substantiation of the "rumor," this appears to be more of a position piece to stir advocacy FOR a NCL-RCI merger and AGAINST a CCL-RCI merger, IF any merger occurs in the future.

Devils' advocate again -- I don't have any emotional, financial or other attachments towards or against any merger occurring, and I'm not a TA -- but IF a merger DID have to occur, I can see a NCL-RCI merger making more sense (and being easier to get approval for) than a CCL-RCI merger, not in terms of TA commissions like the article argues, but strictly in terms of what the cruise industry would look like afterwards. Instead of having one corporate cruise monstrocity out there pounding a tiny NCL/Star in the global cruise market, you would have two more equally-sized companies, with a more equitable number of brands and tonnage that would compete on a closer-to-head-to-head basis. I'm not advocating for it, but if I were forced to pick one of the two (RCL+CCL or RCL+NCL) and think what was better for the overall industry...

Here's hoping all my cruises are filled with non-serious cruisers. They're probably a lot more fun than these "serious cruisers" you refer to.

If that's what you want, I wish it for you.......:rolleyes:

Agreed. What is a serious cruiser and why would a serious cruiser not like the Oasis?

Yet, according to your posting history on the Carnival boards, you think the Dream is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This sort of blind following and automatic favoring between two ships we haven't even seen yet is pretty pathetic.

At least the Dream is still a ship....meant for actually cruising.... I'll let you know; I'm booked on the transatlantic in October......

At least it doesn't have a carousel and a shopping mall....and the restaurants are still free......

IMHO, RCCL's debt load is high, but not horrendous. They did, in fact, make a profit last year and will more than likely make a profit this year. I fail to see how "the sky is falling" for RCCL. But obviously, there are MUCH smarter people than me on Cruise Critic :p.

A little premature, even for you, to make that call. Not everyone like the same things, much less the same types of cruises or ships, that's why there are choices.

It might be premature in your judgment....but, I've had this opinion since the first announcements were made....... Nothing that has happened since has caused me to change my opinion......

As for "making the call".....don't confuse the word "opinion" with "certainty".

At least the Dream is still a ship....meant for actually cruising.... I'll let you know; I'm booked on the transatlantic in October......

At least it doesn't have a carousel and a shopping mall....and the restaurants are still free......

G'ma. My DH and I are also booked on the Oct. Transatlantic. I'd love to meet you on the cruise! I'm really excited about being on the Dream!!:)

Mary

Well, another "24 hour news cycle" has passed since this article came out and no substantiation or secondary confirmation to the rumor has come out. With no secondary substantiation of the "rumor," this appears to be more of a position piece to stir advocacy FOR a NCL-RCI merger and AGAINST a CCL-RCI merger, IF any merger occurs in the future.

Devils' advocate again -- I don't have any emotional, financial or other attachments towards or against any merger occurring, and I'm not a TA -- but IF a merger DID have to occur, I can see a NCL-RCI merger making more sense (and being easier to get approval for) than a CCL-RCI merger, not in terms of TA commissions like the article argues, but strictly in terms of what the cruise industry would look like afterwards. Instead of having one corporate cruise monstrocity out there pounding a tiny NCL/Star in the global cruise market, you would have two more equally-sized companies, with a more equitable number of brands and tonnage that would compete on a closer-to-head-to-head basis. I'm not advocating for it, but if I were forced to pick one of the two (RCL+CCL or RCL+NCL) and think what was better for the overall industry...

Guess you missed the posts about the original article being pulled from the Dailycruisenews website.

Cruise VETS are not the ones who are being lured by the Oasis. First time cruisers are. It's a whole new ballgame with this girl.

If you can't imagine her being a success, then I have no argument for you.

I couldn't agree more.......

Just par for the course and consider the source. :D

Yea, that's true. She's not liked on the Carnival boards either because of her constant cruise contract quotes. I guess she has just accepted the fact that she is a troll. She's only on the RC board to stir trouble....then go back to Carnival and boast about how argumentative RC cruisers are.

IMHO, RCCL's debt load is high, but not horrendous. They did, in fact, make a profit last year and will more than likely make a profit this year. I fail to see how "the sky is falling" for RCCL. But obviously, there are MUCH smarter people than me on Cruise Critic :p.

I don't know about that. :) It's all open to interpretation. I'm an auditor, so I review companies' financial statements for a living, and I don't think RCCL is doing that badly, especially in the current economic environment. They're highly leveraged, but the new ships they're building are expensive and require funding. *shrugs* To me, their financials are indicative of the fact that they're taking an expansionary approach to their business; this results in a different-looking set of financials for them when compared with a company like Carnival, but the two companies are taking fairly different approaches to building their business. It's hard to say whether one's better or worse than the other.

And the fact that RCCL has title to a ship like Oasis that's nearing completion would hardly be viewed as a liability for prospective owners. People are welcome to their opinions about whether or not they want to sail on Oasis, but a state-of-the-art ship with most of the work already done isn't something that would really scare investors off, I wouldn't think.

But it's all moot anyway, because nobody's buying RCCL.

Yea, that's true. She's not liked on the Carnival boards either because of her constant cruise contract quotes. I guess she has just accepted the fact that she is a troll. She's only on the RC board to stir trouble....then go back to Carnival and boast about how argumentative RC cruisers are.
Thanks for the insight. Of course, her opinion makes no difference to my enjoyment of RCCL and hope for their prospering.

Ahh, but long timers with HAL and Princess and Cunard all complain about the "Carnivalization" of those lines. I have sailed Carnival, Princess and HAL. I loved HAL and Princess and hated Carnival. I felt that the ships still did have a different feel to them, but I do think you would have a lot of unhappy people if RCL was bought out.

Yea, you make a good point. I do enjoy Princess, but older cruisers tell me it was much better before Carnival acquired them.

Oh, and many of the restaurants on Oasis are still free. Does the Dream have 24 of them on board???

Currently, as posted on Cruise Critic news, out of 22 dining venues, there are 12 that have a fee on Oasis....with other listed as "fee may apply".

On a cruise ship, there is no need for 24 restaurants. Now, at a theme park, it's a whole other thing.......

You can bet there are going to be LOTS of fees. Maybe not in the first season while the curious are coming aboard but eventually.

G'ma. My DH and I are also booked on the Oct. Transatlantic. I'd love to meet you on the cruise! I'm really excited about being on the Dream!!:)

Mary

Alright!!!!!

We'll have to be sure to get together onboard to lift one or two. You'll be surprised to find I don't have horns or fanged teeth.....HA!

Where are you on the ship? I'm forward balcony, starboard on Empress.....

Carnival Dream :eek: can't even come close to the Oasis. To which many of us say "thank heavens".... Carnival still is in the shipbuilding business...they don't do shopping malls.

There is a reason Carnival Dream will be alot cheaper then Oasis. :p

Yeah, there is a reason why Carnival is cheaper.....several reasons actually.

They're making money is the main reason.

Alright!!!!!

We'll have to be sure to get together onboard to lift one or two. You'll be surprised to find I don't have horns or fanged teeth.....HA!

Where are you on the ship? I'm forward balcony' date=' starboard on Empress.....[/quote']

Hi again. I'm not sure where we are on the ship. We booked this cruise a long time ago. We just returned a month ago from a Baltics/Transatlantic cruise on the Emerald Princess. I'm still recuperating from that!! Don't worry.....I know you don't have horns!! I'm looking forward to meeting you!:)

Mary

Archived