Venice Tours by Rome in Limo?

sandinmyshoes

Has anyone ever done a RomeInLimo.com Venice tour?

We used them for our Rome, Naples, and Livorno tours on our last cruise and they were top of the notch. I noticed on their website they have added tours in Venice (which they didn't offer when we were there before). Has anyone used them in Venice? I'd love to hear about your experience and the places they showed you. We are wanting to do one of their walking tours.

When we were there before we just did a Ghost Walking tour at night which was good, but I don't remember the name of the co. we used and it just wasn't as good as the tours we had with Rome In Limo. We really want to tour inside The Doge's Palace, the Basilica, and go up in the Camponile, but we also want to see the out of the way non-touristy places as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

To be honest, a few searches on the internet will give you an idea of what to do in Venice. Venice is a walking city. No transportation (other than the water bus and gondolas).

There are tours of the Doge's Palace, which you can book ahead of time or at the Palace, but other than that you will enjoy yorself as much just by doing a proper walkabout.

If you insist on a tour guide, there are so many to choose form as I cannot comment on Rome in Limo.

I am assuming that you are taking the tour from Venice and not asking the tour company to transport you from Rome to Venice and then tour.

To be honest, a few searches on the internet will give you an idea of what to do in Venice. Venice is a walking city. No transportation (other than the water bus and gondolas).

There are tours of the Doge's Palace, which you can book ahead of time or at the Palace, but other than that you will enjoy yorself as much just by doing a proper walkabout.

If you insist on a tour guide, there are so many to choose form as I cannot comment on Rome in Limo.

I am assuming that you are taking the tour from Venice and not asking the tour company to transport you from Rome to Venice and then tour.

I agree with the poster. IMHO the beauty of the RIL service is the efficiency and quality of their driver/vehicle. Pick you up right of the boat bright and early in the morning. Driver gets you into town ahead of the crowds, drops you meters from every attraction. Secures you tickets/reserves tours for you, then picks you up as you walk out and whisks you to the next attraction. Inbetween ship/city and attraction / attraction entertains you with history, trivia and humor.

In Venice there really are no roads. You walk and explore the narrow walkways. I personally found read a good book, bring a good map and you will experience 90% of what Venice has to offer. Clearly a private guide might be a bonus and you can probably find many available. BTW RIL contracts freelance licensed guides. From what I learned from the one we used at the Vatican she didn't orginally work only for RIL, but now that they are so big she can make a living exclusivly for them. As with all business a freelancer likely gets you a better price then a larger tour operation. If I wanted a guide I'd look for freelance ones that don't have to share their fees.

I thoroughly enjoyed our RIL experience in Naples, Livorno, and civitavecchia, and would use them again if I ever go back on a ship, but in Venice I'd skip their service.

Happy planning.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I contacted rome in limo (RIL) and they aren't actually doing tours in Venice at this time. We like the private tours because they tend to provide more insight than the typical guidebook and can bring a place alive through narrative explanations instead of the dull, dry versions books tend to present. We've been to Venice before and have walked much of the main islands ourselves without a guide, but this time we would like to have more insight into the behind-the-scenes history of the places we visit like only a local guide can provide.

Does anyone have a person they can recommend? We don't have to use a big name co. as long as the person has a love for sharing Venice with kind and polite tourists in their mid-30's. ;)

Archived