Paid balance to TA, Credit Card statement says name of TA?

jonmar

Yes, my friend, it is a no brainer. I have never booked anything without first checking out cruisecritic's sister site, tripadvisor--they have reviews on anything travel related including both real and online agencies, hotels, restaurants, car rentals, etc. Why would anyone choose to spend their dollars or entrust their credit card information to another without some assurance that the information is being shared with a reputable and honest company or web site?

I know how to check hotels and restaurants on tripadvisor. However, I can't seem to find the correct link on tripadvisor to check out travel agencies. Can you tell me what I need to do??? Thanks, Bettie.

Beth

I know how to check hotels and restaurants on tripadvisor. However, I can't seem to find the correct link on tripadvisor to check out travel agencies. Can you tell me what I need to do??? Thanks, Bettie.

Beth

Beth, there is no link--I just type the name of the agency in the search line and if there are posts about a particular agency, they will come up.

Bettie

Beth, there is no link--I just type the name of the agency in the search line and if there are posts about a particular agency, they will come up.

Bettie

Thanks so much. I thought perhaps that was a general travel agent/agencies section of Tripadvisor that I was unable to find. I appreciate your help.

Beth

Received this in an email earlier this week:

We send in payment 90 days prior but we do not close out the group space until around 75 days before sailing which is when everything is finalized and disbursed. We have been doing this for 15 years now, however, if you are uncomfortable with this we can reverse your charge and have Cunard charge your card upon final date however you would loose the early payment discount. Let us know.

I have asked them how long it takes to process the reversal. If they screw around, I think I will call my credit card company tomorrow and dispute it.

Well they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

First, all unsold group space has been taken back by Cunard.

Secondly, finals are due 90 days prior.

There is nothing to finalize. Cunard groups are pretty much a no brainer.

When a sailing is close to sellout... if they waited to pay until 75 days prior to sailing.. your cabins will have been long gone......and your deposits forefeited. I've seen clients miss their final payments by 48 hrs on a close to sold out sailing...........and their cabins auto-cancelled.

In their paragraph above, they are contradicting themselves. First, they say the pay finals at 90 days. Then they say the finalize and disburse (pay) the funds at 75 days. Well...........what is it? The only entity they are paying is Cunard!

I know how long it takes me to issue a credit card credit... the amount of time it takes me to punch in the numbers. This outfit...........only The Shadow knows.

What a relief to read that on the HAL board Karen's ta has forwarded funds to HAL.

jonmar, I do want to see you in a similar situation to Karen. I hope you are able to resolve this and keep your booking.

I too am in Canada and find that often the US agents sell cruises for better prices.

Could you please email me, jbaker1 at live dot ca.

sorry, typos, :mad: should read......I don't want to see you in a similar situation to Karen.

I hope you can keep the booking and are able to resolve the problem.

Still learning the set up of these forums and couldn't edit my previous post.

Sorry.

Hi Jonmar

I thought I'd better post this here as well as on the HAL board as I believe I used the same travel agent and got the same 'it takes 2 weeks to process the refund story' re my double billing - I NEVER got the refund from the agency, had to dispute it and get it from the credit card company which took 4 months.

This is what I posted on the Hal board regarding Karen's post:

I am so glad you have cancelled your credit card - we were also caught out by this agency. They waited until we were on the cruise we had booked then put through a duplicate charge for the same amount already paid.

It took us 4 months to get it refunded by the credit card company. The travel agent kept saying it was an error and they would refund it and it would take 2 weeks - never happened.

I contacted the BBB and made a complaint,they were helpful and contacted the agency, I also filed a complaint with the http://www.fraud.org however it would seem that they just make a note of them unless it is huge amount to see if there is a pattern.

I also contacted ************* to ask why they are still allowing them to list - that was in May -they responded that they are aware of the issue and are taking measures to ensure it doesn't happen again, however I am still getting quotes from this agency through them.

I encourage everyone who has been overcharged, funds not paid to cruise line etc to file the appropriate complaints, perhaps if enough of us do, we can stop this fraud.

As some of you know I was caught out by this agency too. I've complained to the website that I found them through (and many found them this way too I think), ie the website that allows member agencies to give competing quotes on cruises, I'm sure you all know the one I am referring to.

I've read through their terms and conditions for their member agencies and this TA is clearly in breach of them. I have pointed this out to them and asked that they act on on their own T & C's and that I feel they have a duty of care to their cruiser customers. Its not like they are not aware of issues and I think its wrong that they appear to be turning a blind eye so that they can keep on pocketing their commissions!

If enough people complain they will forced to oust this agency. I just dont want to see more people ripped off!

I too was constantly promised refunds that never came, we also only got our money back by going through our CC company and it was a long and involved process with lots of angst and heartache along the way.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
I, too, am interested in the TA's identity. Would be much obliged if someone would e-mail that to me: adambergman at ymail dot com

Thanks!

I too would like to know the name of this agency - anyone who knows the name of the agency.

Please e mail me at Paulpepperatcomcastdotnet.

Thanks

:eek::eek::eek:WHOA! This scenario sounds awfully familiar. Get out of this deal as quick as you possibly can!!! It can get worse.

March 26 found Florida TA through CC travel agency search website which offered 5% off if full payment made and obc of $620 for the 2 of us. I accepted this Stores offer offer for our Sept 16-Oct 3 cruise. Credit card charged / paid in April 2009.

********************************** THE Bottom Line

I found out yesterday (8/15/09)

1- this "e"TA only forwarded the deposit to Celebrity and kept the remainder.

2-Celebrity cancelled my cruise for non-payment on July 18, without any notice to us due to non-payment by "e" TA

3-Celebrity applied a $900 credit on our 8/8/09 MasterCard statement of the relatively small deposit they had received from "e"TA.

4-"e"TA ran through a bogus charge of $3,751.52 to our MasterCard AUGUST 14, 2009. THIS is over and above the $5751.52 that we paid in April in full payment of our cruise.

Right now we have no cruise, almost $9000.00 charges by "e"TA AND close to another $1000 of flight and hotel charges - non-refundable. Expenses after multiple assurances - verbal and in writing - in May that our cruise was reserved and fully paid.

------------------

Yesterday I found another extensive thread (HAL) on this type of issue and dozens of other 2009 posts in a TRAVEL ADVISOR Post. It appears that I may be the first who lost their reservation, but there are literally hundreds of double / triple billing issues - many unresolved after months and months.

STRONG SUSPICION this is the same "e" TA, possibly also doing business under a couple of other names. "e" gets by but they get by their shoddy business practices because nobody steps up to spread the word that they've been taken by "e"TA.

Do your part and file a Better Business Bureau report at Orlando.bbb.org. "e"TA has a "D" rating with only about a dozen reports within 36 months when it sounds like there should have been dozens in this year alone. Protect others in the future who do check BBB before giving these scumbags thousands of dollars.:o:mad::eek:

Booked a voyage this week. The deposit amount appears on my credit card statement as Cunard. TA advises if full payment made by July 13, 2009, I would get 5% off and $200 OBC. So, I make the full payment. Charges on my credit card don't show up in the name of Cunard, but rather the TA. Should I be concerned?

:confused:I will be pursuing this issue with the website that allows member agencies

to give competing quotes of cruises, the "e"TA;, the Florida Attorney General and Secretary of State; Better Business Bureau at Orlanda.bbb.org, law enforcement, and others. If you want to help, contact me at kirtslaw@comcast.net and also file a BBB complaint - it's not hard.

As some of you know I was caught out by this agency too. I've complained to the website that I found them through (and many found them this way too I think), ie the website that allows member agencies to give competing quotes on cruises, I'm sure you all know the one I am referring to.

I've read through their terms and conditions for their member agencies and this TA is clearly in breach of them. I have pointed this out to them and asked that they act on on their own T & C's and that I feel they have a duty of care to their cruiser customers. Its not like they are not aware of issues and I think its wrong that they appear to be turning a blind eye so that they can keep on pocketing their commissions!

If enough people complain they will forced to oust this agency. I just dont want to see more people ripped off!

I too was constantly promised refunds that never came, we also only got our money back by going through our CC company and it was a long and involved process with lots of angst and heartache along the way.

Cheers

Jonmar, I'm so glad to hear that you have received a refund from the travel agency. After reading the thread on the HAL board, you might consider canceling the credit card you used. I don't know if you were using the same agency, but if so, they seem to have a history of charging additional fees and double charging.

This is a link to the thread on the HAL board where many reported problems with a travel agency in Florida. It is a lengthy thread but if you read it, you will find the answer to your questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166&highlight=

Again, this is a reminder that we all need to be cautious when booking a cruise.

Beth

BUT, don't hold your breath.:eek:

If the travel agency is e*****ATCH OUT for double or triple billing to come - they still have your charge number.

I just got billed again by them after already paying them in full in Sept and almost a month AFTER Celebrity unilaterally cancelled my reservation for non-payment by e******.

I'm an estate planning attorney - with some support from other crusers who have been bitten by this TA, I might be able to put a stick in their spokes, as my dad used to say.

--------------

If so send me your email address, and we can talk about trying to at least get them of the site that allows TA to compete for our businss -- In May, that company "said" they were working on the issue.:eek:

I requested a refund of my final payment and was emailed this morning that the request has been put in and it should take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to appear on my statement. We'll see.

I've never done anything like this before, but do you think a Petition signed by at least some of the hundred who have been caught out by them would convince Mr. L to oust this agency. Working collectively is often more powerful and has more impact than working individually.

post your email and i will respond

Cheers

I'd like to help get this TA out of your industry. I just got taken and am going to try to help.

please befriend me - you've probably got information from your time here on CC that will help me make a stronger presentation to the powers that be.

I'm not just interested in recouping our money, but looking to alert newbie cruisers (like me) to this kind of possible shoddy business practice.

Not really, there is the second half of the story to go!

I would just pay by debit card now sue, you will be fine with cunard, I like to use amex for the bonus points etc, always ask your TA if they will waive the CC charge though,

I don't know the laws in Canada (or the UK) - BUT I would investigate before following this advice. In the USA, the laws protecting credit card purchases does not apply to debit cards.

If I recall correctly, in the US, the dispute protections for credit card purchases do not apply to debit cards (which are basically the same as electronic checks) and you are dependent mainly upon the policies of the issuing bank (which can change). Yes, as with all business transactions, there are legal protections and one can bring a suit to recover damages. The issuing bank MAY have policies to protect their customers as well, BUT don't assume that you can challenge the payment and be protected in the same manner as with a credit card.

Mark

I don't know the laws in Canada (or the UK) - BUT I would investigate before following this advice. In the USA, the laws protecting credit card purchases does not apply to debit cards.

If I recall correctly, in the US, the dispute protections for credit card purchases do not apply to debit cards (which are basically the same as electronic checks) and you are dependent mainly upon the policies of the issuing bank (which can change). Yes, as with all business transactions, there are legal protections and one can bring a suit to recover damages. The issuing bank MAY have policies to protect their customers as well, BUT don't assume that you can challenge the payment and be protected in the same manner as with a credit card.

Mark

Mark, you are correct.

Mark, you are correct.

And correct for the UK as well, although 'tis alleged that Visa debit cards carry a similar guarantee: I certainly would not care to be the person testing this advice.

I'm afraid I have tried to correct Rob in the past over this, but know when to give up.

Mary

• 2 months later...

Here is an update. I emailed them on Thursday to find out when I can expect my documents for our November 30, 2009 voyage. I received an auto reply email that they have gone out of business. Cunard says the host agency is responsible for my documents now. I've had no dealings with them whatsoever. Anyhow, we paid Cunard directly back when this whole thing started, so the trip is not under threat. Can anyone advise how important it is to have documents to check in, in NY?

Here is an update. I emailed them on Thursday to find out when I can expect my documents for our November 30, 2009 voyage. I received an auto reply email that they have gone out of business. Cunard says the host agency is responsible for my documents now. I've had no dealings with them whatsoever. Anyhow, we paid Cunard directly back when this whole thing started, so the trip is not under threat. Can anyone advise how important it is to have documents to check in, in NY?

I guess it is now permissable to name the travel agency in question!

Archived