Nasty Chair Hogs Exist!

STAM

Okay, I read the posts about chair hogs and as I prepared for my first cruise, I promised to not be one of those people who gets up early and leaves their towel on a lounge chair and not return for several hours. I kept that promise, but saw what chair hogs were all about. On our last day at sea, lounge chairs were at a premium. I was able to find a chair at the rear of the ship's top deck next to some of our "new" friends. Within minutes, every chair around us was covered with towels, but only a few people. After an hour had passed, the crew removed towels from a row of chairs so that some young ladies could have a place to lay in the sun. An hour later, a disgruntle chair hog appeared and tossed her glass of water on the girls for taking her seat! :eek: The girls thanked her for the water as they were hot and contemplating getting in the pool for a dip. ;)

Warning to chair hogs: Towels are $25 to replace, you may pay that price if you leave your towel on a lounge chair and don't return for several hours.

Holy cow, some people are just soooo rude. Those girls are awesome for such a quick and smart response. I will tell you our chair hog story, I was on the Gem April 2008 out of NYC. My father is up very early and said he would go up and sit with our towels on 2 chairs, they were already taken at 6 in the a.m. The only day I got to sit on one of the few chairs around the pool was departure day:o It was pretty funny, I love the Dawn pool area we never have a problem getting chairs with the stadium seating.:pI am on the Aug. 9th sailing out of NYC on the Dawn and I really hope the crew does the same thing to all the people who save chairs and then don't show up for an hour.:D

Holy cow, some people are just soooo rude. Those girls are awesome for such a quick and smart response. I will tell you our chair hog story, I was on the Gem April 2008 out of NYC. My father is up very early and said he would go up and sit with our towels on 2 chairs, they were already taken at 6 in the a.m. The only day I got to sit on one of the few chairs around the pool was departure day:o It was pretty funny, I love the Dawn pool area we never have a problem getting chairs with the stadium seating.:pI am on the Aug. 9th sailing out of NYC on the Dawn and I really hope the crew does the same thing to all the people who save chairs and then don't show up for an hour.:D

I'll assume you don't have a problem if I grab two lounge chairs in the morning, BUT, use them all day long, getting up for some food or a bathroom break. ;)

Okay, I read the posts about chair hogs and as I prepared for my first cruise, I promised to not be one of those people who gets up early and leaves their towel on a lounge chair and not return for several hours. I kept that promise, but saw what chair hogs were all about. On our last day at sea, lounge chairs were at a premium. I was able to find a chair at the rear of the ship's top deck next to some of our "new" friends. Within minutes, every chair around us was covered with towels, but only a few people. After an hour had passed, the crew removed towels from a row of chairs so that some young ladies could have a place to lay in the sun. An hour later, a disgruntle chair hog appeared and tossed her glass of water on the girls for taking her seat! :eek: The girls thanked her for the water as they were hot and contemplating getting in the pool for a dip. ;)

Warning to chair hogs: Towels are $25 to replace, you may pay that price if you leave your towel on a lounge chair and don't return for several hours.

Unfortunately I doubt that the ship enforces the towel fee for these rude folks. If the staff removes their beach towels from the chairs I'll bet these hoggish individuals are the first ones in line at the front desk complaining that their towels were STOLEN!!! I would be willing to place odds on it!! ;)

I'll assume you don't have a problem if I grab two lounge chairs in the morning, BUT, use them all day long, getting up for some food or a bathroom break. ;)

Absolutely not, I do the same thing all day long:p You know the people who never show up for 2 hours and expect to plop down in their chairs. On the Dawn this April out of Miami, we were on the top deck with 6 chairs we were laying out

all day, around 1 we get up to go to Bimini's for some lunch, this lady, man and her toddler were all over us in 3 seconds "are you leaving" my friend goes "nope, just going to lunch" the lady mumbles something rude under her breath, I, never missing a chance to give it back said some clever statements and she storms off. Of course I saw her daily on the ship after that, you know how that goes:p LOL

The chair hogs are welcome to the chairs as far as I am concerned, I would much rather sit away from the crowds in a peaceful area of the ship and walk to the pool if I feel like a dip to cool off. I am not anti social I just prefer not to sit so close to other people and the noise they make.

If I cannot find chairs in an area I want to sit I just ask a crew member and up to this point they have always been able to find me two.

Hi Stam.. I saw one family take 8 chairs everyday by the pool. They had there towels out by 6:30 every day. By the last two sea days I would leave 2 towels on a chair for 11 of us. But we just went and grabbed breakfast then used the chairs for a while then gave them up.

On one of our cruise ( not an NCL cruise) my mom heard a lady tell a cruise employee " if you save me 10-12 chairs every morning we will take care of you at the end of the cruise". My mom watched this employee every morning set the chairs aside while she ate breakfast. The WORSE part is that she was saving the chairs for family members that were out late every night and would not get to the pool until 11:00 or even 12:00 every day! :rolleyes:

On one of our cruise ( not an NCL cruise) my mom heard a lady tell a cruise employee " if you save me 10-12 chairs every morning we will take care of you at the end of the cruise". My mom watched this employee every morning set the chairs aside while she ate breakfast. The WORSE part is that she was saving the chairs for family members that were out late every night and would not get to the pool until 11:00 or even 12:00 every day! :rolleyes:

Wonder how much that cost her? That's an idea for may 2 chairs but 11 that's a little selfish. :cool: And not to get ther until 11 or 12 - again just plain selfish! I hope I don't "encounter" any chair hogs!:rolleyes:

Wonder how much that cost her? That's an idea for may 2 chairs but 11 that's a little selfish. :cool: And not to get ther until 11 or 12 - again just plain selfish! I hope I don't "encounter" any chair hogs!:rolleyes:

how much? I would be willing to bet she offer a couple a bucks. Saving that many chairs all day is just wrong. How often were ALL those people even there.

I am amazed at the people that think the most important part of a cruise is laying out by the pool all day. I am thinking the local Hampton Inn would be a lot cheaper! LOL!!!

Did you happen to notice if there was space on the wall around the pool?? That's my favorite place to lay out in the sun.

The chair hogs are welcome to the chairs as far as I am concerned, I would much rather sit away from the crowds in a peaceful area of the ship and walk to the pool if I feel like a dip to cool off. I am not anti social I just prefer not to sit so close to other people and the noise they make.

If I cannot find chairs in an area I want to sit I just ask a crew member and up to this point they have always been able to find me two.

I am with you on this one. They are more than welcome to the pool charis. I too find a nice quiet place without the noise.

And if someone ever threw water on me, I don't think I would have been that kind.

I am a little confused. If I encounter a situation which clearly broadcasts "chair hog." I hang around for 30 minutes, then clear the towels off the chairs myself. Am I the only one who does not hesitate to do this?

Of course, I get the expected rude comments when and if the hogs show up, but I just shrug my shoulders and keep reading.

Bill

I am a little confused. If I encounter a situation which clearly broadcasts "chair hog." I hang around for 30 minutes, then clear the towels off the chairs myself. Am I the only one who does not hesitate to do this?

Of course, I get the expected rude comments when and if the hogs show up, but I just shrug my shoulders and keep reading.

Bill

I did this once on my last cruise, just putting the beach towels in the used towel bin thus leaving the chairs free for other folks to use. However, I did not stick around to reap the nastiness that might have ensued upon their return! I do wonder how these folks got around the missing towel charge, but I'm sure they escaped it somehow... :D

I have noticed a trend lately for some folks not to use the ship's towels to save seats. These use their own terry lounge covers, shoes and books. Perhaps our little "campaign" is working - at least with respect to folks saving chairs with the ship towels - but they are just getting more ingenious!

Bill

yes this is what I do as well...if they aren't back within 30 minutes, tough luck! it doesn't take much longer than that to grab drink or food if needed or possible bathroom break.

i am not very tolerable of the chair hogs...not courteous to other travelers at all.

If someone deliberately threw water on me, I would consider it to be an assault and I would certainly notify someone in authority. Am I the only one? I'm sure a witty remark is the more diplomatic way to go, but I'm not sure I could manage that.

Its a shame that this rude habit has infected cruise ships. It seems to be something that is very common in hotels around Europe as a European myself I'm sorry to report. It causes no end of ill feeling and hostility. Some guests even place the towels on the sunbeds the night before!!

There are now some hotels that have adopted a system of allocating a particular sunbed to each guest on check-in so that there is no arguing. I just find it selfish and childish. I heard of someone who got so fed up with it at the hotel they were staying, that they got up early and threw all the towels that were on the sunbeds, into the pool:eek:

Yes it is disappointing if you can't get a sunbed and particularly if you have young children who you have to keep an eye on in the pool-they have my full support, but why anyone else should HAVE to be right near it is beyond me.

I don't look for stress on holiday and having a sunbed right in the thick of things is not top of my list. I would much rather choose one further away and have bit of peace and quiet, but my kids are old enough now to take care of themselves :).

I'm glad to see staff on board ship taking action against this rude habit..Good on you.

There is no way I could have been so calm and witty in this situation. That person throwing the water would have been swimming in it! (and I don't mean the pool!:mad:)

Unfortunately I doubt that the ship enforces the towel fee for these rude folks. If the staff removes their beach towels from the chairs I'll bet these hoggish individuals are the first ones in line at the front desk complaining that their towels were STOLEN!!! I would be willing to place odds on it!! ;)

Yep! You'd win that bet. I've seen/heard them.

i'm out on top deck very early...something ridiculous like 7am. i really like the morning mist on the deck and just feeling the breeze as the ship sails along. i use our walkie talkies to let my DW know where i am. i also call her at some point to "finish her sleep" by the pool.

so here we are around 8am...both on our chairs...alternating turns to go bathroom...get food...etc.

when we are done...we scope out some deserving people...walk up to them and show them to our chairs. nothing like hand picking your replacements on the chairs...hehehehe.

Let me see if I ahve this correctly. If a person throws some towels on several chairs, and then doesn't occuppy them for a while, that is a chair hog, but if a family who has been using some chairs all morning, gets up and goes to a restaurant for lunch, just leaving towels on the chairs, they aren't chair hogs??? why doesn't this sound right to me??

I agree that if a chair isn't occuppied for a certain period of time, say 1/2 hour, then they should be fair game. You want to maintain those chairs, then leave a few people there to protect them.

i'm out on top deck very early...something ridiculous like 7am. i really like the morning mist on the deck and just feeling the breeze as the ship sails along. i use our walkie talkies to let my DW know where i am. i also call her at some point to "finish her sleep" by the pool.

so here we are around 8am...both on our chairs...alternating turns to go bathroom...get food...etc.

when we are done...we scope out some deserving people...walk up to them and show them to our chairs. nothing like hand picking your replacements on the chairs...hehehehe.

sweet!

Archived