What do you use your ULU knife for?

psyfi

Has anyone been to the ulu factory in Anchorage?

I had gotten a cheap knife free with a coupon at one of the shops and tried it for chopping but wished I had the bowl so a couple of years later we were in Anchorage took the tour of the Ulu Factory and got a great demo from one of the girls that works there. We talked about styles and handles and I bought a medium size set and gave my cheap one to Goodwill.

I use it mostly for chopping herbs, veggies, nuts, etc. I use it a lot and keep it on a closed kitchen shelf with the blade in the holder, laying sideways in the bowl.

The girl who showed us how to use it told us to keep the beveled side of the blade away from your fingers as you chop. Good advice, they are very sharp.

I would buy a ulu made in Alaska rather than a cheap imitation if I were going to use it in the kitchen. Why would you want an Alaska souvenir made in China?

I went, not too much there, but I love my Ulu knife. It was an inexpensive souvenir and I use it all the time. The handle is caved with an Alaska image.

An Ulu knife is at the top of my list & I am so glad that most everyone uses them so now I know I need to get several for gifts too. Thanks to the person that mentioned they are good for salsa because now I know what to bring my best friend they always make homemade salsa. I want to go to the factory to see the demos too and learn more about them while I am there.

Do the ships take them from you when you board? I know I have to pack them in checked luggage to fly but what about the ship?

I lot of the ships do take them and hold them for you until the end of the cruise. No big deal.

are they pretty much the same price everywhere or is there a better place to buy them?

Last September, we bought about 1/2 dozen of the $3.99 ulu knives at the Tongass Trading Co in Ketchikan (our last stop). We used them for Christmas 'gift-exchange'. No one noticed that they were 'Made in China'. In fact, my wife wished we had brought back more, because they are good conversation pieces (or she found more friends to given them to). So she went to the store's website and ordered more. The price was still $3.99 per knife, and the shipping wasn't outrageous either.

We did buy an 'artistic', caribou antler handle, locally-crafted ulu in Juneau for about $28 for ourselves. It was supposedly 1/2 off as an end of the season price, since there was a $55 price tag on it. We use it for cutting pizza and chopping herbs and veggies, just like most everyone else. It's not used often, and it's more a display item than a useful one.

I lot of the ships do take them and hold them for you until the end of the cruise. No big deal.

On the Coral Princess last summer they just told us not to leave them (we had bought 3) out but to put them away in our suitcases. When we returned home they were in the checked luggage.

Do the ships take them from you when you board? I know I have to pack them in checked luggage to fly but what about the ship?

It is hit or miss.

A couple of times on HAL they took the Ulu knives and held them until the last day of the cruise.

On other HAL ships -- no one took them.

Archived