Best treat.....?

fridaythecat.u.k.

Hi,

I'm looking for some inspiration from my cruise critic friends, I know I can rely on you :)

DH and I go on our first cruise in 4 short weeks' time :D and on the second day, it is DH's birthday. I know that being on the cruise in the first place is a fantastic treat in itself, but I am wondering what you guys think would be the best treat that I could surprise him with? Either on the ship or in port. We shall be in Monte Carlo that day which is very lucky as DH is a bit of a Grand Prix fan. Within reason, money is not an issue :eek:

I have already indicated that this is his birthday on the Personaliser, and I think this means he may get a little birthday cake and a song in the restaurant in the evening? Is this correct? We are in Anytime dining, so does that make a difference?

Anyway, enough of my many questions, looking forward to hopefully getting some great ideas ;)

Hi,

I'm looking for some inspiration from my cruise critic friends, I know I can rely on you :)

DH and I go on our first cruise in 4 short weeks' time :D and on the second day, it is DH's birthday. I know that being on the cruise in the first place is a fantastic treat in itself, but I am wondering what you guys think would be the best treat that I could surprise him with? Either on the ship or in port. We shall be in Monte Carlo that day which is very lucky as DH is a bit of a Grand Prix fan. Within reason, money is not an issue :eek:

I have already indicated that this is his birthday on the Personaliser, and I think this means he may get a little birthday cake and a song in the restaurant in the evening? Is this correct? We are in Anytime dining, so does that make a difference?

Anyway, enough of my many questions, looking forward to hopefully getting some great ideas ;)

We were due to travel last week but had to cancel last minute but check this out- every (big)boys dream!!

http://www.f1monaco-racing.com/

Your husband will also get balloons on your cabin door.

Since you have AD, they will put a card in your cabin for you to give the waiter on the day you want to celebrate.

The card doesn't always appear, so mention it to your waiter. The balloons don't always appear either, so tell the steward about your birthday boy.

We were due to travel last week but had to cancel last minute but check this out- every (big)boys dream!!

http://www.f1monaco-racing.com/

Thanks for everyone for their replies so far, but this from Joa is fantastic! This was the kind of thing I was thinking of but couldn't seem to find on the internet (obviously not searching well enough!) DH will LOVE this :D

Just one question - I know you don't have crystal balls, but I have read on a few reviews in the past that Monaco is often missed due to the ship not being able to get into port due to weather. Do you think this is less likely in August, when hopefully the weather should be nice? Don't want to spend lots of Euros booking something like this if DH doesn't actually get to use it

The card doesn't always appear, so mention it to your waiter. The balloons don't always appear either, so tell the steward about your birthday boy.

Thanks, Pia! I sure will. I didn't even know about these two things until a few minutes ago, just shows how fantastic CC is :D Think DH might get a little embarrassed with all this attention on board, but I want to make it a birthday to remember :)

Thanks for everyone for their replies so far, but this from Joa is fantastic! This was the kind of thing I was thinking of but couldn't seem to find on the internet (obviously not searching well enough!) DH will LOVE this :D

Just one question - I know you don't have crystal balls, but I have read on a few reviews in the past that Monaco is often missed due to the ship not being able to get into port due to weather. Do you think this is less likely in August, when hopefully the weather should be nice? Don't want to spend lots of Euros booking something like this if DH doesn't actually get to use it

Glad you liked it as this was going to treat hubby but it wasn't to be. :(

In Aug dont think there will be a high cancellation risk but you dont have to pre-book you can just show up on day and queue. They give you a ticket and tell you approx wait so you could go see something else whilst waiting. When you get off tender turn left and head to swimming pool and little fair on the harbour. Try to go early before queues get too long.

Hope it's a success

Hi There,

Set up time, get a photoon CD of him as a boy tell assistant CD and get it and a message played on MUTS, speak to photo folk and they will have some one there to capture his red face.

yours shogun

Hi There,

Set up time, get a photoon CD of him as a boy tell assistant CD and get it and a message played on MUTS, speak to photo folk and they will have some one there to capture his red face.

yours shogun

LOL :) :) Don't know if I will get away with this one! DH may not talk to me for a week afterwards :D

Think I will definitely go for the Ferrari drive and as per Colo's suggestion am considering strongly the UBD - just one question on this, though (I seem to be full of questions this evening :D) - we are on Aloha deck, BD cabin. I have done my research and know that the balconies on here are not large (nothing like Caribe or Dolphin), so is there enough space to have a comfortable UBD on Aloha balconies :confused:

I have just looked at UBD on the Princess website, and I can't see any option of pre-ordering it on line... Is it just me not looking properly (v. likely :D) or is it something that I need to do once on board :confused:

You will need to do it once onboard. Phone the DINE line once onbaoard.

I have just looked at UBD on the Princess website, and I can't see any option of pre-ordering it on line... Is it just me not looking properly (v. likely :D) or is it something that I need to do once on board :confused:

You can only pay for it, you have to wait until boarding to set it up.

Not sure where it is on the website.

Paying early does not guarantee a spot.

They do up to 4 per night.

You will need to do it once onboard. Phone the DINE line once onbaoard.

Thanks again, Joa! I wanted to book on line as I want it to be a surprise. Will have to send DH out on an "errand" somewhere so I can make the call without him knowing...hmmmmm, any thoughts on what my excuse can be? :)

You could also consider Sabatini's for dinner if UBD doesn't work out. It's wonderful. When we were on a cruise on DH's b-day, I bought a mylar happy birthday banner (very light ans small to pack) and put magnets on the back and put in on the door (left it there for the whole cruise)--it certainly did make finding our door easier! You could also pack some ballons and blow them up that morning while he is in the shower and just leave a pile on the floor--always fun to kick them around :)

Thanks again, Joa! I wanted to book on line as I want it to be a surprise. Will have to send DH out on an "errand" somewhere so I can make the call without him knowing...hmmmmm, any thoughts on what my excuse can be? :)

Easy, tell him you want to go check out the pottery class (or anything else he won't be interested in), then go use a house phone to make the call.

How about I start to unpack if you go get a cocktail from the bar. Easier to unpack alone plus you get a nice drink on your balcony after.

The earlier you book the better as limited spaces per night.

Start the holiday in style. Hope you have a nice time.

Ask him to bring you a plate of treats from the Buffet. My husband loves to do that. He once went out and brought plates down for the whole family, he just knocked on doors. He must be a Hunter/Gatherer type. :eek:

Thanks for the great tips everyone.

Yes, I think it will be easier for me to go out of the room and use a house phone rather than send DH out (think I'll say wine tasting or something as DH doesn't touch a drop of alcohol :D)

I liked the idea of Sabbatini's but saw some pics on another post (the v. good picture review of Alaska cruise), and not sure I will like the food! Shock, horror :D It all looked very meaty and fishy to me and I'm a veggie, and I'd heard that with the exception of entrees and desserts, you don't get a choice :confused:

So, think will stick with trying to get UBD and hope we are one of the lucky 4 or so that can have it on that evening. Can someone just remind me how much it is? I know that has been asked before... I think it is about $75 pp?

Thanks for the thoughts Ula and Joa re getting DH to go and fetch cocktail / treats. Unfortunately, my husband must be the opposite of the hunter / gatherer, as he always makes ME go and do these kinds of things :D I think sometimes that he forgets how his legs work :p

Thanks for the great tips everyone.

Yes, I think it will be easier for me to go out of the room and use a house phone rather than send DH out (think I'll say wine tasting or something as DH doesn't touch a drop of alcohol :D)

I liked the idea of Sabbatini's but saw some pics on another post (the v. good picture review of Alaska cruise), and not sure I will like the food! Shock, horror :D It all looked very meaty and fishy to me and I'm a veggie, and I'd heard that with the exception of entrees and desserts, you don't get a choice :confused:

So, think will stick with trying to get UBD and hope we are one of the lucky 4 or so that can have it on that evening. Can someone just remind me how much it is? I know that has been asked before... I think it is about $75 pp?

$50pp.

I think that I read there only a limited number of UBD's a nite (at sea nites?) and that the opportunity fills up fast. Best to arrange as soon as you get on. That's what I plan to do. Enjoy!

Kathie

Archived