When Does Tip Talk On a Tour Get On Your Nerves?

SamFritz

I think the sign is enough, although I think saying 15% is maybe a little much. If you dont think you get paid enough, then get a different job, it is not my job to support you and listen to you plead for my money b/c of the job that you chose. If I made min wage at my job and didnt get tips but came up there on your tour would I be expected to tip? I am an air traffic controller but have never gone to the pilot and said I got him here safe and sound so I should get a tip and he doesnt do the same to the pax.
Tip confusion does not come in how much to tip but do you tip. The sign is plenty to unconfuse people. You will tick more people off by begging. If I had a $1 and a $5 and you begged that much I would probably give you the $1 instead of the $5.

I'm going to agree with others. I don't mind the signs but they could do without the percentage as only I will determine how well I enjoyed your tour and that would show in the amount of the tip. I probably wouldn't mind the first verbal reminder either as I do believe there are alot of people who don't realize that if a tour guide has really made your tour outstanding then they should get a little something. But if I heard that last reminder, any tip I had out to give to you would go back in my purse as then I would feel like you were begging for tips and I don't reward beggars. Edited by vjblk

I think the signage is fine. I think your verbal "begging" for compensation is annoying. I'd likely walk off the bus and leave your begging hand bare. Or if I did tip, it would be out of annoyance, not guilt, and I'd be sure to tell folks to avoid you and your tour company.

I know to tip, so the signs and verbal reminder are not really needed for me. However, I agree that a small sign in the front is acceptable, although just a reminder for a tip - not a percentage.

I think the problem with your 'reminders' is how you stated them. I've had verbal reminders before from tour guides, but if they do it in an amusing or joking way, I don't mind. Your basic 'give me a tip' order at the end is a real turn off.

I'm pretty much with the majority here. I think the sign is fine. The first mention - if it was really short and didn't seem like sniveling - might not bother me much either (again, short and sweet) but the last one seems rude and I'd be totally turned off!

Again, I'm a traveler and I've also worked for tips in the past so I am a tipper but I think the sign is a great reminder for folks who just don't realize that they should tip.

I'd like to add that I'm really sorry that, as a teacher, you need a second job to make ends meet! I think maybe if you mentioned that you're a teacher in your first (and only, and brief) mention of tips, perhaps folks would be more inclined to tip. Good luck!

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']Those are [COLOR=Black]the "ONLY"[/COLOR] tipping reminders?
You're pretty blatant, IMO. [COLOR=Black]===> Yes![/COLOR] :eek:
That would [B]turn me off[/B] and I'd probably give you nothing.[/quote][COLOR=Black]I agree.

I come from a non-tipping society
and I give you two mentions allowed.
After the third mention I'm annoyed, sorry.

[I]
Frankly the whole tipping thing is a P.I.T.A.[/I]

[COLOR=White].[/COLOR]
[/COLOR] Edited by aplmac

I think a very small sign is fine. Any other "reminder" would put me off completely and I think it comes across as a bit rude and takes away from what a tip should be. You shouldn't pressure people to tip or you most likely won't get anything.

To me, most people know a tip is expected. However, if I went to dinner and the wait staff told me "Hi, I'm so and so and I'll be waiting on you tonight. The usual amount of my tip is 15%. What would you like?" I wouldn't eat there.

The price of a tour these days are costly. I expect a good tour for my cost. However, if I feel I got more then I expected or if the tour guide was wonderful, fun and went over and above then I would gladly tip. But to me, if I'm told to tip or that I'm expected to tip then I won't.

Saying you will thank the person when you get your tip is so tacky. You should thank everyone on that tour if you get a tip or not.

No one tells you to get that job. It is a service job and if you take a job that depends on tips then you need to earn them not expect them.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I'm usually a very generous tipper, in fact today I tipped 20% for both my hair appt and when I had my nails done.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I appreciate the service providers and in turn they appreciate that I've shown their talent is valued.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]In the past I have worked in the Tourism/Hospitality industries and my salary was compensated with tips and commissions. Not always an easy way to live.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I KNOW how important it is to receive those tips, but I never asked for them. If I had to ask for them I wasn't truly doing my job. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I think it is a great idea for the company to have a generic sign[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]However, if you VERBALLY mention a tip to me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you will receive nothing. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I consider it rude and inappropriate behavior to ask anyone for additional $$$$ and that is not in the true definition of a TIP[/COLOR][/SIZE] Edited by where2next

Sorry but that last one really turns me off. Also, I base tips on the length of the tour and the quality of the guide, not on the price of the tour. Some tours include a meal, some don't. If they are both 4 hour tours, why would I include the price of the meal in consideration of the tip amount?

Sam...

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you might want to get rid of your avatar..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]do you want some local newspaper reading this and doing a write up [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]on you???[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]just a thought[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='ILoveScotland']SamFritz, I'm with many of the others. The sign is fine although I'd prefer not to have the suggestion of 15%.

Otherwise, if I were on your bus I would reduce your tip each time you made any mention whatsoever about a tip. And your last spiel would so offend me that you'd get nothing.
[/quote]

This sums up my opinion as well.
[INDENT]Nancy
[/INDENT]

[quote name='bplazo']A sign that says "Tips are Appreciated" is all I need to leave a tip...[/quote]

I absolutely agree. It's not even solicitation... it's a gentle nudge to make it known that tips are appreciated, nothing more. Even a "Tip Jar" at the front of the bus is subtle without too much overkill, IMO.

Signs are tacky and to solicit for tips is even worse..... You would not get anything from me using your tactics !
1 complaint in 8 years huh ??? And you have already had numerous objections to your tactics [B][COLOR="Red"][U]in just a little bit more than 12 hours [/U][/COLOR][/B]!!! Edited by travelntreats

[quote name='SamFritz']You are wrong, check any tipping guide. Guided day tours are to be tipped at 15% of the ticketed price.[/quote]

As many have pointed out on this thread they do not consider the price of the tour when deciding how much (if any) to tip. To most it is irrelevant. In case you missed out, about 50 people on this thread have indicated they feel your method of attempting to extort tips from people is unprofessional and abysmal. Hopefully you will learn from this experience rather than continue to try to dictate fallacies that nobody but you seems to believe.

[quote name='where2next']Sam...

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you might want to get rid of your avatar..[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]do you want some local newspaper reading this and doing a write up [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]on you???[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]just a thought[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

I'm not at all ashamed. I'm never begging. I spend thrity five seconds of a five hour tour mentioning tips. I've had local newspapers accompany me on my tour and do fabulous write ups of my total presentation (and yes I did my regular tip talk knowing that they were with me).

I actually discussed this thread with my supervisor this afternoon. His exact words were, "most of our drivers make tips a bigger deal than you do. The ones who don't don't last very long because it's not worth it." He sees my presentation of the matter as understated and appropriate.

[quote name='Gonzo70']As many have pointed out on this thread they do not consider the price of the tour when deciding how much (if any) to tip. To most it is irrelevant. In case you missed out, about 50 people on this thread have indicated they feel your method of attempting to extort tips from people is unprofessional and abysmal. Hopefully you will learn from this experience rather than continue to try to dictate fallacies that nobody but you seems to believe.[/quote]

I believe that you are the only person to have used terms like extort and abysmal. Oh and since there are only 70 posts on this whole thread and ten of them are mine, many are repeat posters, and several actually suggest that what I do is OK, your suggestion that fifty people have indicated this is an abysmal fallacy intinded to wound me personally. Most people have said that the sign and maybe one mention are OK. Most of the posts have found difficulty with my final statement, so I am considering some possible rewording of that so that it doesn't come across as a demand. I don't intend it to be taken that way.

[quote name='UtterCaro']Yes, I'd be annoyed on your tour -- and would reduce the tip every time after the first mention. I'm a generous tipper, but two signs and two verbal requests constitutes wheedling in my book. I'm glad your method seems to work for you; it wouldn't work for me as your customer.

Caro[/quote]

I agree with you Caro. Might I suggest the OP find a new job..... Hmmmm...panhandling comes to mind....:cool:

[quote name='SamFritz']I believe that you are the only person to have used terms like extort and abysmal. Oh and since there are only 70 posts on this whole thread and ten of them are mine, many are repeat posters, and several actually suggest that what I do is OK, your suggestion that fifty people have indicated this is an abysmal fallacy intinded to wound me personally. Most people have said that the sign and maybe one mention are OK. Most of the posts have found difficulty with my final statement, so I am considering some possible rewording of that so that it doesn't come across as a demand. I don't intend it to be taken that way.[/quote]

Apparently we are reading different threads; I can't seem to find any people that say that what you do is OK. :rolleyes:

Edit: If you are interpreting the post above mine as being supportive of you then I guess I realize our differing tally. Edited by Gonzo70

[quote name='Gonzo70']Apparently we are reading different threads; I can't seem to find any people that say that what you do is OK. :rolleyes:

Edit: If you are interpreting the post above mine as being supportive of you then I guess I realize our differing tally.[/quote]

Gonzo70, you are correct as far as my reading of the posts. I don't read any that say what SamFritz is doing is OK. I read many, including my own, that in one way or another say his tactics are offensive and abysmal--I might quibble with extortion but not much.

The bottom line, SamFritz, is that regardless of what your boss says or what you have decided is okay, the people who have responded to you on this thread would be so turned off by your behavior as to reduce the tip they'd planned or simply not give one at all.

And this is a pretty well travelled group of people who have lots of experience on tours of one sort or another. Edited by ILoveScotland