Chef’s Table Dining - How's the food?

swdke

The food is fantastic, and the entire experience just phenomenal! The menu varies from chef to chef, and depending upon how many chef's table's are offered during a particular cruise, as well as what fresh ingredients may be available on certain sailings or ports (at least according the executive chef who did our chef's table). Though, I do understand there are certain staples that are frequently offered. I've heard repeated reports of some sort of flaming meat skewers, but those were not offered during our experience.

I do highly recommend it, though. It is an entirely unique experience, for land-based or ship-based dining.

We were on the Emerald from 6/25-7/5. We boarded around 12:30 or so & based on suggestions I read on this board, we went straight to our room, pushed the "dine" button on the telephone and explained that we wanted to sign up for the chef's table. They said if we were selected, we would be notified.

The next day (our only full sea day) they called us around 9am to let us know we had been selected for the chef's table which would be held 2 nights later. I believe there was 1 more chef's table held later in the cruise.

Here was the menu (they give you one to take home):

Appetizers in the kitchen:

shrimp margarita w/ avocadoes & mangos

foie gras terrine on toasted brioche w/ apple chutney

fontina cheese quiche w/ white truffle & sun blushed cherry tomatoes

bliss new potatoes w/ sour cream & caviar

(all this was served with champagne)

The dinner:

asparagus risotto w/ lobster tails & claws (pinot grigio)

Amalfi lemon sorbet w/ mango slaw (w/ Grey Goose Vodka poured on top)

roast veal shank & tenderloin, vegetables, & chateau potatoes (red wine)

baked camembert w/ pine nuts, port wine reduction & walnut bread (a dessert white wine)

passion fruit dome cake - almost too pretty to eat (limoncello & any type of coffee we wanted)

We also received a photo of the group and a hard-bound Princess cookbook. I will try to book this evening on any cruise I may go on in the future - it was WONDERFUL!

In addition to the food, there is the appetizer in the galley experience. You don a white jacket, wash your hands and tour the galley while dinner service is taking place, head to a special area and enjoy the appetizers and champagne in the galley itself. Then on the table, with flowers and actual candles......and an artistic display of the breads for the evening.

Lots of wine, lots of food, lots of attention, company of fellow foodies, Courses cookbook signed by the chef and maitre'd, roses for the ladies, group photo, handwritten menu.......and lots of calories.

We enjoyed it very much, thought the weakest course was the tenderloins that were flamed on skewer trees. There are better ways to prepare filets of anything....everything was lucious. Actually relieved to find something I didn't feel compelled to overindulge in!

The food is fantastic, and the entire experience just phenomenal!

Sounds great, I've always enjoyed regular dining, and it's all I know. How exacly is it more fantastic and a better experience? Thanks.

We did the Chef's Table twice this year - in January on the Coral, and last week on the Star.

Both were fantastic.

Slight differences between the two menus - a few different items served in the galley and a couple of different items at the table. Dessert was beautiful accented with a sugar syrup piece that looked like a clear blue ocean wave.

Received a long stemmed rose and the the same hardcover Princess cookbook, but this time only one free picture taken by the photographer at the table, instead of the two we received in January.

In January we booked by calling the Dine line, but last week they had a table to sign up at. There was only one chef's table last week (10 of us), and we were told there were 20 people on the waiting list.

An experience not to be missed. :)

Cindy

If you go up to where the page numbers are and where the Search this forum is just put in Chefs Table. There is a mulitude of threads about that subject. Enjoy, it was fabulous.

marilyn

Hi There,

we have done the Chefs table twice this first on the Sea, out standing,

then on the Crown which was good.

however we had a meal in the Crown Grill lasted about four hours,

rolled out of the grill full of food, full of drink and full of happy memories

yours Shogun

We did the Chef's table on the Caribbean Princess last cruise. The food was fantastic as was the whole experience. IMHO the food was much better than anything I have ever had in the dinning room or the specialty dinning. The food becomes much more interesting as the chef talks about the preperation and dos and don'ts with certain things. We just could not get the pastry chef to explain how he did the dessert.

Below is a link to the video I made from our experience.

Definitely something to try if you like food and wine!!!

Tim

How's the food for the Chef's Table Dining? Is it different, better than regular dining? What all do you get? Where do you book reservations?

Just did it on the CB last week. It was fabulous! My 3rd time doing it

They are reprinting the cookbook so it will be sent to us. I hope it is a new addition as well.

I have looked' date=' but not found it yet. How much is it to do the Chef's Table if we are selected, and what are the chances that we would be selected?

This is our first time on Princess and we have not heard of such a meal.:)[/quote']

The Chef's Table is $75 per person. When you board the ship, call DINE on your cabin phone; if they are not answering, go to one of the dining rooms and speak to someone in charge. They may take your name there or re-direct you to a table they have set up elsewhere to take dining reservations/changes.

In January on the Coral we reserved by calling DINE and last week on the Star we had to sign up at a table. On the Coral we met with the Maitre'd before we received the invitation in our cabin, and on the Star we didn't meet with the Maitre'd, we just received the invitations, then signed the health forms just before the dinner.

Depending on the itinerary and length of cruise there could be 1-3 Chef's Tables held (average 10 people each). It's pretty much first come, first served, and not so much being "selected".

Don't miss it. It's a memorable experience.

Cindy

I would like to do the Chef's table but my wife won't eat foie gras, veal, or red meat. Can they cater for this or should I do it on my own?:)

Yes. There will be enough variety that she will enjoy the experience and also be well fed, especially if she eats seafood.

Yes. There will be enough variety that she will enjoy the experience and also be well fed, especially if she eats seafood.

Be sure to make this known when signing up and when you meet with the Maitre D'. They will do everything in their power to accomodate her.

Here's a really thorough review of someone's Chef's Table Experience: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=757815

Boy, I am sure getting a lot of air play out of my review! Thanks for the props...I will try to outdo myself on my next review if we are lucky enough to be selected on our upcoming Ruby cruise next April.

We have not done the Chef's table, but those that did raved about it.

Reservations - push the "Dine" button on your cabin phone.

Exucse me, and I mean no disrecpect but if you have not done it why don't you let people who have answer the thread? Sorry, makes sense to me.

Archived