Venice getting to port options

rhsjr

We took a water taxi from our hotel. Luckily, we found other people on our cruise in the hotel, so we were able to share the cost. It was well worth it, and such a treat to start our cruise off in such style!

Where does the cruise ship dock in Venice? When sailing out, can you see the city centre? When I was in Venice a few years ago I didn't really see cruise ships in the heart of the city...saw them close to the dock where we board the water taxis to take us right into Venice.

Where does the cruise ship dock in Venice? When sailing out, can you see the city centre? When I was in Venice a few years ago I didn't really see cruise ships in the heart of the city...saw them close to the dock where we board the water taxis to take us right into Venice.

The ship docks to the right of the main road from the mainland; just a short walk from Piazzale Roma. It leaves by sailing down the grand canal. It's a spectacular sight. Best place to be is the deck above the bridge which is accessed by going forward on the Lido deck starboard side. There is a door at the front for access. If the weather is reasonable, it will be open for sailaway. It is often open when coming into or leaving port. Don't miss it. Bon Voyage!

As noted previously, cruise ships do not go down the Grand Canal; but it does pass directly in front of San Marco Piazza. This sail-away is one of the most spectacular we have ever experienced. The view will be on the port side; so, if the weather is bad, you'll need to find a good spot well in advance of sailing time.

Yes, if you can get to Piazzale Rome, you can walk to the pier from Piazzale Roma. It is not a long walk, but I wouldn't call it short, either. We were able to do it easily because we travel light - only one wheeled bag each. I think it would be hard to do if you have a bit of luggage. I think the walk took just under half an hour.

The port side is better if you sailing out of Venice. The starboard side is better if you are sailing into Venice. Cruise ships can not sail on the Grand Canal because the bridges aren't high enough for the ship to fit under. The route the ship takes goes past the spot where the Grand Canal sort of starts (or ends, depending on your perspective). You also have a nice view of St. Mark's and Doge's Palace. It really is one of the prettiest sailaways I have ever experienced.

there is a vaporetto that takes you to the ship and that is one way to go. Water taxi is an expensive option but one worth investigating because the vaporetto is not comfortable with carryons and luggage. Been there- done that.

If you are smitten on St. Mark's-do that. I'd stay in Piazzle Roma at the Santa Chiara, Ca Doge or Sofitel personally.

Archived