Do you get past passenger rates if

elou

Goodness knows. I had been on two Princess cruises (was on the second at the time Carnival acquired Princess). I had been on one Carnival cruise. In 2007, I took my second Carnival cruise, and somehow got on HALs mailing list, and was given a Mariner number, without cruising with them. None of this got me a past passenger rate on Cunard (but subsequently, my Cunard World Club number is identical to my Princess Captain's circle number...). But when I booked my Oosterdam cruise, I got past passenger rate. EM

As long as you have taken even one cruise on any of the CCL lines, you are entitled to the past passenger rate on all of them. I've had to show a (now former) TA the brochure saying this. It is on the back of the brochure talking about the V.I.P (Vacation Interchange Privileges). The one I have in hand says to see http://www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com for more information.

I tried to use the 'reciprocal' agreement to book 2 cabins on a different carnival line but would only get the 'past passenger' rate on one cabin. Until I'd cruised and then I could use it for the multiple cabins. This may have changed. I would just call HAL and ask directly -- in this economy -- cabins are looking for passengers -- not like when I first started cruising.

Mary Ellen is right. You can use your Mariner number to get past passenger rates on any of the CCL lines. But with all of the 3 day sales, flash fares, etc. that are going on right now the past passenger rates can be higher and not all departure have past passenger rates.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I've got 14 cruises with princess, but cannot use it for HAl. Eash cruise line has it's own clubs

The lines' loyalty clubs are a different thing. You're correct about those.

But past passenger rates can be applied based on a sailing on a sister line.

Very interesting thread, which has prompted me into action,we have sailed princess and seabourn twice and I was never offered a past cruiser discount for my forthcoming HAL penthouse suite, so after reading this thread I asked my TA about it and surprise surprise, they didn't know about it either,(my TA is one of the biggest cruise ta's in the uk, so I'm astounded).

So, off she went and rang HAL who claimed their mariner discount fare would make the cruise more expensive than what we had paid,and came back to me to tell me this.

I explained it wasn't a loyaltly club discount, but a VIP discount and directed her to the website,basically saying that the fare I had received and paid for was for someone who had not cruised with the CCL group of companies before and their should be a reduction ,as otherwise what would be the point of the VIP club anyway,if anyone could get the same fares and there were no benefits for past cruisers!

She now has the bit between her teeth and has gone higher with this, so I will keep you posted, I hope this is not just an advertising gimmick,I am determined to get to the bottom of this,as we have spent over £35,000 on 3 cruises, and it would be damn cheeky of them not to offer anything in the form of recompense if they are advertising something and not delivering!

A BIG thanks to the posters on this thread for bringing this to my attention,even if I get a bit of OBC, that would be great, its the fact that they seem to be trying every which way to wriggle out of it thats getting annoying.

So, off she went and rang HAL who claimed their mariner discount fare would make the cruise more expensive than what we had paid,and came back to me to tell me this.

It's very possible that you are paying less than you would if you were getting a past passenger discount. Sounds strange, I know, but it happens all the time.

For whatever reasons, if there is a past passenger discount (not a given) on a particular cruise, most people are able to get a lower rate from a good TA.

It's very possible that you are paying less than you would if you were getting a past passenger discount. Sounds strange, I know, but it happens all the time.

For whatever reasons, if there is a past passenger discount (not a given) on a particular cruise, most people are able to get a lower rate from a good TA.

Yes Ruth you are absolutely right this appears to be the case here, as the TA has come back to me,I think this really makes a mockery of the VIP, that I could haver never cruised before in my life and get a rate the same as someone who has cruised forever with HAL! Surely there should be say a 5% discount off fare or OBC ETC , if you qualify for VIP or else whats the point of it??

It seems a very contrived plan and I will certainly be writing to HAL about this because I think it is poorly marketed and misleading,and it in no way shows CCL value customer loyalty!

Thanks for your comments Ruth,as always perfectly answered!!!:)

Archived