If you could say something to the new CEO of Azamara

flagger

My first Azamara cruise is coming up 9/16 & we're so looking forward to it. The one complaint that's consistent is the price of drinks & wine. It's mentioned in almost every review. We plan to really curtail our cocktails & wine to keep our bill reasonable, but I sure wish they'd lower the prices just a little. $25 for 2 cocktails before dinner just seems a little too extravagant for us. We'll be having a glass of wine w/dinner instead of a bottle. Other than that, they sure seem to be doing everything right.

THIS WAS SOMETHING THAT CONCERNED US TOO. GO TO azamaracruises.com AT BOTTOM OF PAGE IN THE GREY SMALL TEXT, CLICK ON "GIFTS". AS OUR TIPPLE IS WHISKY, WE ORDERED 2 LIQUOR PACKAGES PRE CRUISE, OVER THE 'PHONE IN ENGLAND. TOTAL OF £61.00. A PRETTY GOOD EXCHANGE RATE!! YOU WILL SEE THAT WINE CAN BE ORDERED TOO. ON EMBARKATION DAY IN OUR STATEROOM, WAS A LITRE OF WHISKY WITH THE SNACKS. ON REQUEST 6 CANS OF GINGER ALE WERE DELIVERED. AT THE BEGINNING OF OUR 2ND WEEK THE SECOND PACKAGE WAS DELIVERED. SO WE COULD LEGALLY ENJOY A PRE DINNER DRINK IN OUR STATEROOM AT A VERY REASONABLE COST. THIS CAN ALSO BE ARRANGED AT THE GUEST RELATIONS DESK ONBOARD. ON ONE OCCASION WE PURCHASED 2 WHISKIES WITH GINGER ALE WHICH WAS $16! WITH THE PRE ORDERED PACKAGE YOU DO NOT PAY THE 18% SERVICE CHARGE EITHER. HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR CRUISE AS MUCH AS WE DID.

THIS WAS SOMETHING THAT CONCERNED US TOO. GO TO azamaracruises.com AT BOTTOM OF PAGE IN THE GREY SMALL TEXT, CLICK ON "GIFTS". AS OUR TIPPLE IS WHISKY, WE ORDERED 2 LIQUOR PACKAGES PRE CRUISE, OVER THE 'PHONE IN ENGLAND. TOTAL OF £61.00. A PRETTY GOOD EXCHANGE RATE!! YOU WILL SEE THAT WINE CAN BE ORDERED TOO. ON EMBARKATION DAY IN OUR STATEROOM, WAS A LITRE OF WHISKY WITH THE SNACKS. ON REQUEST 6 CANS OF GINGER ALE WERE DELIVERED. AT THE BEGINNING OF OUR 2ND WEEK THE SECOND PACKAGE WAS DELIVERED. SO WE COULD LEGALLY ENJOY A PRE DINNER DRINK IN OUR STATEROOM AT A VERY REASONABLE COST. THIS CAN ALSO BE ARRANGED AT THE GUEST RELATIONS DESK ONBOARD. ON ONE OCCASION WE PURCHASED 2 WHISKIES WITH GINGER ALE WHICH WAS $16! WITH THE PRE ORDERED PACKAGE YOU DO NOT PAY THE 18% SERVICE CHARGE EITHER. HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR CRUISE AS MUCH AS WE DID.

Thank you for that, I am partial to something off the sideboard before dinner (and lunch, but generally not breakfast (but open to invitations)). I will get this sorted pdq!

I agree with all of you but each one that you suggested would have to raise the price of the cruise..as they have to make money somewhere and their bottom line right now wont support your suggestions..as far as the dining room being open on port days, there are too many people off the ship to make two dining venues worth while to open..

Jancruz1

My suggestion would be to work to differentiate Azamara from Oceania. There should be a clearer distinction. It's difficult when dealing with functionally identical ships, as that's how a lot of brand identity between RCCL and Carnival, for example, happens, but it's more than that. There are small differences, such as in whether there's a truly nominal charge for the alternative dining venues vs. no charge at all, and "butlers", but that's not enough for the target audience to get a feeling of "oh, THAT'S the brand for me."

I think the way to do it is not with amenities but with service. For example, neither line is tremendously good with advising and assisting independent travelers. Oceania's shore excursion desk for awhile was outright lying about the availability of private transportation at ports for example. Perhaps borrowing from Silversea or SeaDream's concerige service where they will work to arrange whatever you want could be implemented. This would actually improve the bottom line as people expect to pay for custom arrangements. But as you can see from many of the roll calls here, a goodly number of Azamara's passengers are experienced travelers running as fast as they can from organized group excursions, and the prime reason isn't necessarily the cost. Attract passengers who aren't looking for the total luxury package, but who want to explore more than mainstream cruisers on large ships, and it would be an excellent way to really service the client.

Have the butlers really "buttle." One recent review mentioned the butler assisted the passenger down to the laundry room. I bet a butler who actually took care of the laundry after the passenger loaded the washing machine would eliminate the "what does the butler really DO" threads here. Not ironed, no special services, just put in dryer, then fold and return to cabin.

I'm sure we can all think of "service" vs "amenities" changes Azamara could make to set it apart. I think this would go further in enhancing the brand than bottled water. People always say they'd pay to have things included, but when push comes to shove, service wins out most of the time all other things being equal.

Hi Jan. We think Azamara cruises can be really good value for the quality offered but with regard to drinks, I think they would actually sell a lot more with some careful marketing and reduced prices. For instance, there is no comprehensive cocktail menu, just a few frozen ones listed, and the only special prices are in the Looking Glass and even there they couldn't show us a list of what they were offering. We hardly saw any guests having a cocktail by the pool or before dinner and I know it is a premium line and they don't want to be intrusive but I think with careful marketing, cocktails of the day and wine packages they could sell a lot more.

Our experience on Azamara was fantastic. We love the intimate size of the ships and hope that they won't consider enlarging Azamara vessels to the size of floating housing projects ;) that are so popular with other lines. Catering to a more discerning passenger should be their bread and butter.

I agree with the previous poster that if cabin stewards are going to be called "butlers" perhaps there is an additional service that they can offer to bring them up to such a distinctive level. Our butler was amazing. We hosted a sailaway get together in our cabin and he brought a shrimp plate and other savories along with the munchies we ordered. Completely unexpected, and most appreciated!

We've told so many about our wonderful experience and will continue to do so. Hopefully Azamara will get the recognition they deserve. In the meantime, continue to do what makes Azamara great!

The "more personal service idea" is a good one and is something the new CEO would be very familiar with based on his experience at both Sea Dream and Seabourn. To a great degree, it's a training issue and would require a different approach than the one the Celebrity-trained Azamara staff have been exposed to. As for the bottled water, it is most useful on excursions and by providing it gratis Azamara may help cut back on incidences of dehydration and water-borne illnesses that passengers may encounter at some ports.

My complaint is that cruise lines in general ignore what part of the world they are sailing in. Most of us cruise so that we can experience other cultures and areas not our own. However, the ships do not provide, for the most part, any food, drink, or, entertainment from the countries they are visiting. Local offerings are rare. For example, Azamara does not allow local beverages to be brought on the ship and they do not sell them. It would be very simple for Azamara to locally buy a few cases of beer and wine at the current port.

My complaint is that cruise lines in general ignore what part of the world they are sailing in. Most of us cruise so that we can experience other cultures and areas not our own. However, the ships do not provide, for the most part, any food, drink, or, entertainment from the countries they are visiting. Local offerings are rare. For example, Azamara does not allow local beverages to be brought on the ship and they do not sell them. It would be very simple for Azamara to locally buy a few cases of beer and wine at the current port.

Not necessarily as easy as you may think, as ships operate as a duty free zone, but local purchases of course have duty for the most part. It's possible, yes, but it's a much more complicated logistical operation than you might expect. In addition, there are certain maritime regulations which control provisioning.

My comment would be that the line has come a long way since its first sailing so congratulations to all concerned on the service improvements. I would like to see concentration on achieving consistency of service - particularly in the main dining room. I think if this consistency could be achieved, it will be a truly excellent product

My comments to the new CEO:

1. find a way to be different that Oceania. Be unique and in demand because of it. Really put your thinking caps on for this one!

2. take a look at the bar prices. I think folks would buy more drinks if the prices were lowered a bit. I know we would.

3. look into longer cruises to and from the same US port. Take some of that business away from HAL. (Maybe you need additional ships)?

4. make sure that whatever you do, you continue to maintain the "smallness" of your ships' identities - both psychologically and physically.

5. you have a wonderful product. be careful not to mess it up, but do not hesitate to improve the product.

Best wishes in your Azamara endeavors!

----Penny

What duty? Very few countries, if any, have export duties on finished products. A duty free zone usually refers to import duties. Export duties are for the most part imposed on natural resources and some agricultural products to give a preference to domestic buyers over foreign purchasers. For example, Russia has an export tax on crude oil and Egypt taxes rice. Note also, export duties are prohibited in the United States by the Constitution.

But all this is beside my original point--Why do cruise lines not seek out local products? I think they should. For example, the Quest has cruises that has multiple stops in Turkey, five in a row on the cruise I was on. Is it easier and cheaper for a Liberian corporation operating a ship registered in the Bahamas to export beer and wine from North America and ship it to Turkey or to buy Turkish beer and wine in Turkey? I think it is in the best interest of Azamara's bottom line to do the latter. I am not suggesting replacing the North American products but for Azamara to expand their offerings. Also I think Efes tastes better than Bud or Miller lite.

If you had the ear of the new CEO of Azamara cruises, what short suggestion, comment or gripe would you say? Or what question would you ask, other than 'Would you like your ear back?" :p

I would want to know if you, flagger, were the new CEO of Azamara.;) And then I would comment on the beautiful picture of the dog.:D

My comment would be that the line has come a long way since its first sailing so congratulations to all concerned on the service improvements. I would like to see concentration on achieving consistency of service - particularly in the main dining room. I think if this consistency could be achieved, it will be a truly excellent product

You are absolutely correct....the only weakness on these ships.

• Administrators

Some great quetions, everyone. For you real old timers, you may remember back to our old AOL days when we had Larry Pimentel as a "guest" in our Cruise Cafe. If my own memory hasn't faded too much, I seem to remember he had a good time!

So, I sent a note inviting him to stop by the boards, and we'll roll out the welcome mat for him! We'd love to have him,

Laura

Aloha Larry...

I really enjoyed working for you at Classic and one of those reasons is that you really listened to us in the reservation area and in sales..

we were your eyes and ears..

I hope you continue that at Azamara

Remember how you had a preferred desk at Classic, I would like to see that with Azamara

I'm really frustrated being transferred around and ending up with someone from Celebrity who only knows how to use the computer system,

not how to SELL AZAMARA.

If I hear one more time the only difference is it's a small ship and there's not much to do on a small ship, I will hang up the phone

and that's just going to screw with your phone stats....

It's especially frustrating with my background and knowing the job that these res agents should be doing...

so please start there with the training and please have someone on each shift who has personally

inspected a AZ ship...not just read the brochure.

Next, my 1st cruise is a B2B next year, I was attracted to Azamara not only because of the great itineraries,

but because I have fallen in love with the Pacific Princess. I've spent A LOT of time onboard the Pacific as this size ship really speaks to me.

You have a HUGE demographic of those of us that love Azamara's sister ships with the Princess fleet that you could very easily tap into.

The problem you face.....

well most of the people (myself included) who sail the small ships with Princess are Elite..we get free laundry and internet,

along with all the other benefits....

MATCH THEM ....go after us like United and American use to fight over the business travelers...they matched the status,

did upgrades whatever it took for that person to switch!!!!!

You never know... once we sail on you, we might be permanately hooked! you have A LOT to gain and not much

to lose if you take this approach!

I agree with other posters...embrace the part of the world you are in...

Have a local beer onboard, lectures about the local cuisine or cooking demo...for example...while sailing in greece have a class

on how to make a greek frappe or baklava when you return home...

I'm sure you can take that idea and run with it.....

Help us become a kamaaina in each port as we sail throughout the world

A hui hou!

where2next

What a fabulous idea about the local cooking classes!!! I would SO be all over that! As a foodie, the cooking class idea would really 'float-my-boat' :) plus make a connection with where I'm travelling. In Greece you could have a short class in dolmanthes (stuffed grape leaves - YUM!). There are so many easy regional favorites that would be fun to try! FAB idea, where2next!

I would want to know if you, flagger, were the new CEO of Azamara.;) And then I would comment on the beautiful picture of the dog.:D
Nope not me, but your pooch is gorgeous.

Look at my (now late) girl long enough and she will wink at you.

I would be most interested either the main dining room open for lunch or traditional afternoon tea on port days.

We agree. We want, need, and expect table service for lunch, whether the ship is in port or not. Even when we choose a port-intensive itinerary, we don't get off in every port and I think most of your passengers opt to stay onboard for some ports. There is no way a line can call itself premium or near-Luxe, let alone luxury, if a passenger has to settle for buffet food they must carry themselves for major meals. It's fine that there is buffet food ALSO, but not in place of service by waiters. If passengers don't get 3 meals a day service, then I fail to understand why passengers should be expected to tip as much as luxury lines which do offer that.

We would like to see bottled water (still and sparkling) included in prices.

The other thing that is important to us is to have some options for cruising from the West Coast in order for us to get to know your product. The first round-trip cruises from the West Coast that I see are two in January, 2011. Can we count on Azamara to increase cruises from the West Coast in the future?

Archived