Norwegian has BBB rating of "F"

newcruzrs4

Why would you book this cruise if you knew you wanted Free Pepsi all week. Why not simply pack a case and bring it onboard. How much money does a case of Pepsi cost these days?

Now if they were offering FREE martinis--then I would be upset.

I will say the title of this thread rightfully earned the OP a little flaming. The real issue is interesting. Clearly nothing that remains online states the offer is not available on certain cruises. What is more interesting all the details of this promotion have been removed from the NCL site so there is no way to check the fine print. The Pepsi site that had the details as well now only refers you to NCL.com.

http://www.pepsisipsaverefresh.com.

I have to believe this promo got a much larger response then expected and it was hidden. I can see Food & Beverage directors pulling their hair out realizing 1/2 the passengers on some cruises with free soda and they still need to make the revenue target.

To the op you have time to solve this very little problem. I strongly suggest a more reasonable approach. Waiving NCL is a failure in customer service in an senior member of NCL's face is perhaps a way to insure you will be ignored.

You have to get past the CSR and supervisor level. A well worded letter or email indicating you desire to continue to sail with NCL and your confusion on this issue. I would include the detail from facebook and the Pepsi site that has no exclusion. Since all detail has been removed from the site that is all a consumer has to base the rules on. You simple request is to include the soda promotion on your booking. A soda card is not a big deal but as past and future customer of NCL it would make sense to address this request.

I will say the title of this thread rightfully earned the OP a little flaming. The real issue is interesting. Clearly nothing that remains online states the offer is not available on certain cruises. What is more interesting all the details of this promotion have been removed from the NCL site so there is no way to check the fine print. The Pepsi site that had the details as well now only refers you to NCL.com.

I have to believe this promo got a much larger response then expected and it was hidden. I can see Food & Beverage directors pulling their hair out realizing 1/2 the passengers on some cruises with free soda and they still need to make the revenue target.

To the op you have time to solve this very little problem. I strongly suggest a more reasonable approach. Waiving NCL is a failure in customer service in an senior member of NCL's face is perhaps a way to insure you will be ignored.

You have to get past the CSR and supervisor level. A well worded letter or email indicating you desire to continue to sail with NCL and your confusion on this issue. I would include the detail from facebook and the Pepsi site that has no exclusion. Since all detail has been removed from the site that is all a consumer has to base the rules on. You simple request is to include the soda promotion on your booking. A soda card is not a big deal but as past and future customer of NCL it would make sense to address this request.

While you make some excellent recommendations in your post, I believe that you've forgotten one important point: The OP booked their cruise using a TA.

Everyone here knows that once a TA is involved, NCL will not deal with the passenger...only with the TA.

I still believe that this poster needs to make their case with the TA. If nothing else, the TA could give back part of their commission in the form of 2 free soda cards just to make the OP happy. After all, in THIS economy, I would have to believe that a smaller business really has to do whatever it takes to make their customer happy.

I'd put it this way...If the TA doesn't get the soda cards, I'd just cancel the booking with the TA (causing them to lose ALL of my business) and then I'd immediately rebook the same cruise directly through NCL. Problem solved.

I still believe that this poster needs to make their case with the TA. If nothing else, the TA could give back part of their commission in the form of 2 free soda cards just to make the OP happy. After all, in THIS economy, I would have to believe that a smaller business really has to do whatever it takes to make their customer happy.

Exactly. The TA should definitely get the 2 soda cards for the customer. Really, it would only cost the TA under $100. Well worth it to have a happy customer that you know will continue to book with you in the future. I can't believe that this thread has so many postings! I never knew pop could create such a stir. How about drinking water instead?!?:eek:

Why would you book this cruise if you knew you wanted Free Pepsi all week. Why not simply pack a case and bring it onboard. How much money does a case of Pepsi cost these days?

Now if they were offering FREE martinis--then I would be upset.

I do bring soda onboard but it's not like you can bring cans of soda in the dining rooms.

I don't drink coffee, tea, or ice tea so my drink choices are limited.

I've been trying to follow this thread - am I right in understanding that if the OP is making use of the Latitudes programme he can't claim any other promotion ? In other words immaterial of what was in the adverts, he couldn't claim anyway.

I just read the thread. Did the OP ever answer whether a lattitudes discount was given for their booking? Two discounts were not allowed if using the Pepsi promo. I cant believe this thread has gone 5 pages when that question doesnt seem like it has been answe

ooops.....looks like others beat me to that same conclusion.

I don't believe that revenue-targets have anything to do with it. First of all, soda is not where they make their money.

Secondly, this is partially a Pepsi Promotion, and you can be sure Pepsi has added to the kitty.

Thirdly, the OP wasn't entitled to the promotion regardless of whether it said so on the site he read, or not. A simple "oops, forgot to add the disclaimer, but sorry...you didn't qualify anyway" should have solved this whole thing.

I do bring soda onboard but it's not like you can bring cans of soda in the dining rooms.

I don't drink coffee, tea, or ice tea so my drink choices are limited.

DW brought her can of Coke with her into the dining room on the Sky and they didn't say anything. Of course at that time they were still serving Coke and her can looked just like the cans we got from the bar. Get an insulated cup and fill it with soda before you go to the dining room. I've seen nothing that says you can't bring a drink with you into the dining rooms.

I am confused by the negative remarks directed toward the OP. Certainly some steam is acceptable when an OP feels misled. For those not bothered by the problem, encouragement is still a useful response. Congratulations to all who attempted to guide OP toward a resolution or better understanding.

I admit I don't read every NCL post, however I have read enough to realize that those who send extremely direct and personal remarks are in the minority. Many more NCL CC members are very well informed, helpful and tactful. I am grateful for all of them.

Blessings,

Gail

I do not believe we received a Latitudes discount. The pricing for our category on our sailing is the same on the NCL website regardless of whether you check the Latitudes member box or not.

The reason NCL gave for denying the promotion is not that we were trying to use two different offers. It was that the Pepsi promotion is not available at all for our sailing. On the phone with the TA they mentioned capacity limitations, which may mean it was available only for a certain number of cruisers on the particular voyage and then cut off.

Our TA has now gotten us the benefit of a $50 per person reduction in fares since we booked. (Coincidentally, that is about the value of the promotion we were denied for our 2 cabins). It really pays to monitor prices after you book to take advantage of drops, especially in this economy. I was surprised by the drop in prices for a holiday week.

I did write a detailed letter to NCL Corporate with a copy of the promotion and a description of the chronology of events and my phone discussions with NCL supervisors. It resulted in a phone call from NCL Corporate in which they said the promotion does not apply to our holiday week sailing by its rules and that the Facebook posting (which the Corporate rep admitted was NCL's own) says for more info call and if I had called I would have been told it was not available. I will probably file with BBB, even though it may be futile given NCL's approach.

I did write a detailed letter to NCL Corporate with a copy of the promotion and a description of the chronology of events and my phone discussions with NCL supervisors. It resulted in a phone call from NCL Corporate in which they said the promotion does not apply to our holiday week sailing by its rules and that the Facebook posting (which the Corporate rep admitted was NCL's own) says for more info call and if I had called I would have been told it was not available. I will probably file with BBB, even though it may be futile given NCL's approach.

Do what you need to do. Going to the BBB will only get one response at best. A copy of the full rules sent to the BBB clearly stating your cruise did not qualify. That seems to be the case and NCL did a go job explaining it. The fact that facebook says "for more info call " and from day one your TA was told when they called your cruise did not qualify. Not sure what issue the BBB could address.

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE AND PEPSI OFFER REFRESHING SAVINGS AND SWEEPSTAKES

Guests can quench their thirst on board all Freestyle Cruising ships with limited time complimentary soda packages

Norwegian Cruise Line and Pepsi are celebrating summer by offering up to two complimentary soda packages per stateroom on any seven-night sailing or longer. Guests who book a cruise on one of Norwegian Cruise Line’s 11 Freestyle Cruising ships from now through October 15, 2009 for sailings through 2010 can request the Pepsi Summer Cup promotion at the time of booking by referencing promotion code PGPOP. Once on board, guests are given a special Norwegian and Pepsi branded souvenir cup and have access to unlimited complimentary fountain soda refills at any bar, lounge or restaurant throughout the duration of the cruise and have the choice of selecting Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew or Sierra Mist.

Pepsi fans can also try their luck with the ‘Sip. Save. Refresh’ sweepstakes for a chance to win one of three Norwegian seven-day Alaska or European cruises for two in an oceanview stateroom with round-trip airfare. More information on the contest can be found at http://www.pepsisipsaverefresh.com. The sweepstakes ends on August 31, 2009. Pepsi ‘Sip. Save. Refresh’ codes are available on more than 20 million specially marked Pepsi fountain cups and scratch-off cards at participating restaurants in nearly all 50 states.

For more information or to book a Norwegian Cruise Line sailing with the Pepsi Summer Cup promotion, contact a travel professional, go to http://www.ncl.com or call Norwegian at 866-234-7350.

So... the facebook entry that has upset you so much said 'Call NCL for more information' - which you apparently did not do - and you still think that the entire issue is NCL's fault and they should be reported to the BBB? When something says 'For more information do this...' it is a clear indication that all of the relevant information has NOT been included and you must follow the directions in order to get the whole picture. If you chose not to do so, and only depended on the partial information as your 'evidence', then in my opinion, it's not their fault. In the quote you posted, you left out this very important piece:

For more information or to book a Norwegian Cruise Line sailing with the Pepsi Summer Cup promotion, contact a travel professional, go to http://www.ncl.com or call Norwegian at 866-234-7350.

To me, that indicates that you didn't want anyone to point out that you should have called NCL for more information. Is your omission any different from theirs? You presented your case without all the facts, just as you're accusing them of doing with their 'advertising'. The difference is that NCL DID add this bit about calling for more information; you did NOT. I had to go find the facebook page and confirm for myself that this directive was included, something that would have been simple if you had provided a link - like they provided a phone number.

The fact is, when your TA called NCL regarding the promotion, they were given the information, just as the posting promised. That information was that the promo was not available to you. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't a legitimate one.

True, BBB may have lost clout over the years, but a failure rating should prompt some damage control by NCL considering the competitive nature of the cruise vacation market. This "F" rating has been the subject of earlier threads.

I only know that our last NCL cruise (last September) was a pleasure and we've booked again. Our NCL rep has been a delight to work with and we've taken advantage of every price reduction available since booking last fall.

True, BBB may have lost clout over the years, but a failure rating should prompt some damage control by NCL considering the competitive nature of the cruise vacation market. This "F" rating has been the subject of earlier threads.

I only know that our last NCL cruise (last September) was a pleasure and we've booked again. Our NCL rep has been a delight to work with and we've taken advantage of every price reduction available since booking last fall.

I agree Steve... If that's even possible to go back and address each issue(?)

NCL's had an "F" rating for years now. This is no new news.

The total amount of complaints they have seem pretty miniscule compared to the amount that sail them. I don't know how that can result in an "F" rating. I'm assuming they don't take the ratio into account.

Obviously, since they've had an "F" for so long, NCL isn't too concerned with the rating.

I agree Steve... If that's even possible to go back and address each issue(?)

NCL's had an "F" rating for years now. This is no new news.

The total amount of complaints they have seem pretty miniscule compared to the amount that sail them. I don't know how that can result in an "F" rating. I'm assuming they don't take the ratio into account.

Obviously, since they've had an "F" for so long, NCL isn't too concerned with the rating.

The amount of complaints to the BBB does not matter. What matters is how NCL handles the complaints. Even if the BBB gets one complaint about NCL and NCL ignores it, the BBB would give them an "F" rating.

Jimd909 ~ I've sailed on Paradise in '04. She's really lovely. Great size. This was back when she was a non-smoking ship out of Miami.

That idea went up in smoke.. LOL

So... the facebook entry that has upset you so much said 'Call NCL for more information' - which you apparently did not do - and you still think that the entire issue is NCL's fault and they should be reported to the BBB? When something says 'For more information do this...' it is a clear indication that all of the relevant information has NOT been included and you must follow the directions in order to get the whole picture. If you chose not to do so, and only depended on the partial information as your 'evidence', then in my opinion, it's not their fault. In the quote you posted, you left out this very important piece:

For more information or to book a Norwegian Cruise Line sailing with the Pepsi Summer Cup promotion, contact a travel professional, go to www.ncl.com or call Norwegian at 866-234-7350.

To me, that indicates that you didn't want anyone to point out that you should have called NCL for more information. Is your omission any different from theirs? You presented your case without all the facts, just as you're accusing them of doing with their 'advertising'. The difference is that NCL DID add this bit about calling for more information; you did NOT. I had to go find the facebook page and confirm for myself that this directive was included, something that would have been simple if you had provided a link - like they provided a phone number.

The fact is, when your TA called NCL regarding the promotion, they were given the information, just as the posting promised. That information was that the promo was not available to you. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't a legitimate one.

I respectfully disagree with your analysis. If you look at posting 25 where I detailed my complaint, I clearly disclosed NCL's view that its "for more info or to book call" language was sufficient. I am not trying to hide or ignore that. However, the NCL Facebook posting indicates that the Pepsi promotion is available for "all" sailings within the time periods. That is clearly not true. If NCL referred to it being available for many sailings or select sailings, that would be different. A false statement can't be cured by a disclaimer (and, in fact, the NCL line you cite is not really a disclaimer because it does not describe any limitations or exceptions). In the Federal Trade Commission's publication entitled Advertising and Marketing on the Internet: Rules of the Road, the FTC points out that:

• "The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers. A claim can be misleading if relevant information is left out or if the claim implies something that's not true. For example, a lease advertisement for an automobile that promotes "$0 Down" may be misleading if significant and undisclosed charges are due at lease signing.
  • " Disclaimers and disclosures must be clear and conspicuous. That is, consumers must be able to notice, read or hear, and understand the information. Still, a disclaimer or disclosure alone usually is not enough to remedy a false or deceptive claim."

All of the cruise lines have a bad BBB rating, because they refuse to join. They're useless anyway. I had a problem with a landscaping company that did not complete all the work they were suppose to and all the BBB did was write a letter to the company which the company ignored and that was the end of it.

I had the same experience with the local Memphis chapter. BBB is a joke and to me their rating system is meaningless.

As an attorney, I thought of mentioning that, but in most courts the amount the two cares are worth would not even meet the minimum for small claims. You would also generally have to file where the corporate office is - not sure where that is for NCL. Before the lawyer jokes get going, most small claims courts will also not allow attorneys represent plantiffs or respondents, they all have to handle the matter pro se, i.e., for themselves. The filing fee would likely be more than the "loss" of the cards that were never available due to the fine print on another site which as referred to in the information read on the first site.

If the cruise you are taking is one that other lines take as well on the same day, the insurance and airfare should not be a major issue if you switch to another line - unless you purchased those through NCL as well.

If your wife went ahead and made the reservations, knowing the promo was not available, then your legal action would arguably be against HER as she entered a contract on your behalf - as your agent- that did not comply with the terms you had indicated you were willing to enter the contract under. You could file a small claim against her for your "lost property" of the never received promo; however that would mean you were filing for one less card, making the financial logic even more upside down than paying a filing fee for two cards, and likely causing you pain and suffering and loss of consortium and other financial losses that would far outweigh the benefits of taking this route. (For those so riled up at this point they miss it - this is factually correct, but really an attempt at humor and not at all intended to be an actual recommendation for action.)

And as to the comment earlier that a judge would laugh uncontrollably at the the thought that zero could be included in "up to two" - BELIEVE ME, I have seen judges not only sit straight-faced during much more ludicrous arguments, but actually rule IN FAVOR OF THEM.

Archived