Chankanaab Park in Cozumel??????

cpacheco212121

chankaanaab is by far a great place to go. Ask for a taxi to take tou there. The fare is by location not PP so its reasonable. There is a park fee PP . If you want to swim with the dolphins book it online before you go as most cruise ships will buy up different excursions ahead of time. http://www.**********************[/url] email me krimmel@verizon.net.This is a very good company to deal with and you have more options to choose from than offered from the cruise ship. The park is clean and accessable for swimming,snorkling or walknig among the ruins. Its a very nice place to spend the day.

Thanks for taking the time to post these!! We are debating between Paradise Beach (so-so snorkeling, but good food and toys), vs. Chankanaab Park with GREAT snorkeling. I think it comes down to what we want to do in the end...

what a beautiful wedding picture. it must have been so romantic to get married on the beach with the love of your life, hear the waves and see such a gorgeous sunset.

We were there last nov. But didn't see any igunas(sp?) lizards? Where were they? We are going back this dec. Thanks

All I can say is that in August 2004 and April 2009 the iguanas were there. I posted some of the pictures from April 2009 earlier in this thread.

I had emailed them asking about cost of getting in and renting snorkeling gear and this is what I got back:

We kindly inform you Chankanaab National Marine Park admission fee is only

16 dlls adult 8 dlls kid (3-11 y.o.) And if you visit www.cozumelparks.com

you will find a 2 dlls off coupon.

Please note now your ticket includes a free dolphin show at 12:00, a free

archaeological tour every hour and a free guided underwater tour when

snorkeling (essential to bring snorkel gear or rent it at the park, 15 dlls

mask, fins, tube, lifevest and guide).

Edit to add: Great pics!!

I saw photos of a pool area. Is this part of the park? Do they charge extra for that or lounge chairs?

Is this area near the lagoon?

Here is my email and their response to this when I contacted Chankanaab in April

Comment Question. do you rent snorkel vest? What is the cost of the vests?

Is the pool included in the general admission price?

Thank You

thanks for asking, we rent snorkel vest at the park the cost is 5 usd for

the day, we request a minimun consume at the pool of 6 usd this consume

includes a super combo nachos with a beer or soda

Regards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Indirobb for the info about the tours included in the admission. Has anyone done the snorkel tour, archeological tour or the dolphin show? Wonder what you should tip for those tours if they are free?

I have been to this park twice, once with my daughter (Sept. 2007) for the dolphin swim through the ship excursion. Had a blast. Got use of the pool, lockers included. Then once with my hubby straight off the ship on our own. We had our 2.00 off coupon which they took with no problems. The taxi was around 15.00 one way (Sept. 2008) The only setback was the pool was not included with our entrance fee, it was only for those who have a dolphin excursion. That was a bummer for me as I like the pool area and hubby likes the ocean. We made the best of the situation and hung by the lagoon. We ate at the eating place there and had a very good meal (a little pricey for lunch, approx 30.00 for one lunch that we shared and 2 cokes). This is a very nice park, clean and not crowded at all. There is a gift shop, eating, snorkeling with rental equipment on site, the history trail (you can get a free guided tour by just asking, remember to tip your guide), wonderful views of the water and I enjoyed watching others on thier dolphin excursions from the sidelines. I would go here again for a laid back day.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI:

I just booked the dolphin encounter directly with the park and I specifically asked if those that were in our party that were not participating in the dolphin swim would have use of the pool and we were told yes.

I am not really interested in the snorkeling or the dolphin swim as in i dont know how to swim :eek:

You really do not need to know how to swim. Just use a snorkel vest for flotation. There are some steps that lead into the water. All you have to do is float.

I believe the ruins there are replicas not authentic ruins.

Hi, we are going to be in Cozumel in November and are thinking about doing the cruise ship dolphin excursion to this park. Would we be better off booking the dolphin excursion thru the park? The website shows the refund policy and if the ship doesn't make it to the port we couldn't get our money back so figured it was safer with the ship.

For those that have done the dolphins with the ship..........which would you recommend? One says 40 minutes with the dolphins and the others don't mention an amount of time. One is standing/petting/picture and one is swimming with.

cpacheco212121,

You would enjoy Chankanaab even if you don't snorkel. I would recommend staying with the pool or the protected lagoon if you don't swim. During the time your trip is scheduled, the water may be a little choppy in the recommended snorkel areas. My sister knows how to swim and has snorkeled for years but felt compelled to rent one of their real life vests (not the wimpy yellow blow-up vests).

Cuizer2,

Fantastic photos. Thanks for uploading and sharing them with us. I'm definately recommending people on my Rollcall check out this thread. Lots of them have mentioned and asked about Chankanaab Park. Excellent map and taxi-rate pics.

By the way, beware of the Iguannas, the ones in the park aren't drugged like the "tame" ones you'll see on the piers.

cpacheco212121,

You would enjoy Chankanaab even if you don't snorkel. I would recommend staying with the pool or the protected lagoon if you don't swim. During the time your trip is scheduled, the water may be a little choppy in the recommended snorkel areas. My sister knows how to swim and has snorkeled for years but felt compelled to rent one of their real life vests (not the wimpy yellow blow-up vests).

Cuizer2,

Fantastic photos. Thanks for uploading and sharing them with us. I'm definately recommending people on my Rollcall check out this thread. Lots of them have mentioned and asked about Chankanaab Park. Excellent map and taxi-rate pics.

By the way, beware of the Iguannas, the ones in the park aren't drugged like the "tame" ones you'll see on the piers.

Beware of the iguanas??? Why?

Beware of the iguanas??? Why?

Iguanas bite and salmonella is present in their mouths. These are wild iguanas not pet shop ones that have been raised by humans.

Just an FYI:

I just booked the dolphin encounter directly with the park and I specifically asked if those that were in our party that were not participating in the dolphin swim would have use of the pool and we were told yes.

This has changed. Last fall they would not allow us to use the pool unless we booked the dolphin encounter. DW was not happy but we enjoyed Chank anyway.

well now im tossed up. go here or go to paradise beach???? anyone done both and liked one over the other?

We've done both and I liked Chankanaab better for the deveristy the park offers, though Paradise will offer more water sport activities. We were there 8/25/09. Also a slighlty shorter taxi ride, though Paradise can't be more than 5 minutes down the road.

Do note, there is a entrance fee ($14 with discount coupon) to Chankanaab. Its free to get into Paradise but there is a charge to use their water toys and they will expect you to buy food and drink.

We did the Dolphin Swim so we also had use of the pool though I never saw any staff member checking for the Dolphin Swim wrist band on people in or lounging by the pool, nor saw anyone being told they had to buy food and drink to use the pool.

BTW, cheap soda and beer at $1 and $2 respectively, hairbraiding for $20, and you can watch the dolphins perform for free.

I have some Chankanaab picture at webshots (see link in below signature)

The dolphins do hair braiding now? Wow! I would give someone the $20 for the hair braiding so I could watch that.

Shhh...carefull now, or you'll get PETA upset if they found out!

Do note: After they're done braiding hair, the dolphins will try to get you to sit down and have a cold beer with them while they watch their favorite show "Whale of Fortune" or play their favorite game: "Name that Tuna"...after all these are very smart animals: within 3 hours they can train a man to stand at the side of a pool and feed them fish

Gotta love them....

me4me: For those that have done the dolphins with the ship..........which would you recommend? One says 40 minutes with the dolphins and the others don't mention an amount of time. One is standing/petting/picture and one is swimming with.

You'll be sorry if you don't swim with them. My mother and I were suppose to do this together but days before the cruise she broke her arm at Disney World. She came and watched me swim with the dolphins and she said that the look of pure enjoyment on my face was worth the cost of the swim. I enjoyed it so much that I did it again in Orlando.

F19810 - do you know if we are better going with the one the ship offers or would we be better off booking on our own or just going to the park and schedule with them? Do you know if the 3 hours the ship offers is enough for my mom to see the botanical section as well?

Thank you,

Maine4me

Archived